Welcome to the Apparelyzed Spinal Cord Injury and Cauda Equina Syndrome Support Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to Apparelyzed, an active and vibrant spinal cord injury and cauda equina syndrome support forum. Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of our spinal cord injury support community by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Talk to others in real time in the Chat Room
We look forward to welcoming you to our community and reading your contributions and questions.

Simon
Forum Administrator.

Photo
- - - - -

Body Temperature Control ...

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Swordfish

Swordfish

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C7 / T6
  • Injury Date:99

Posted 13 January 2009 - 07:57 AM

Hey there, sorry if it's the wrong forum to put it in (General)

I've noticed lately, I Can't control my body temperature. It's going crazy. When it's slightly cold in the room I get VERY cold when it's slightly hot I get VERY hot.

Yesterday I was doing absolutely fine, feeling good, then I started to get the chills. I began sweating buckets (I had to change shirts very often!) and I began shivering out of control. I couldn't stop the shivering. It was violent shivering too, very animated. I put on central heating, as well as a close-by heater, as well as 2 blankets... and guess what? I was still cold and shivering.

I feel better today, but I want to know/understand what the hell is happening, why does my body temperature malfunction from time to time?

#2 Scribbler

Scribbler

Advanced Member

• Closed Account
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,935 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C4/5 Incomplete

Posted 13 January 2009 - 09:00 AM

Hey there, sorry if it's the wrong forum to put it in (General)

I've noticed lately, I Can't control my body temperature. It's going crazy. When it's slightly cold in the room I get VERY cold when it's slightly hot I get VERY hot.

Yesterday I was doing absolutely fine, feeling good, then I started to get the chills. I began sweating buckets (I had to change shirts very often!) and I began shivering out of control. I couldn't stop the shivering. It was violent shivering too, very animated. I put on central heating, as well as a close-by heater, as well as 2 blankets... and guess what? I was still cold and shivering.

I feel better today, but I want to know/understand what the hell is happening, why does my body temperature malfunction from time to time?

Hi Swordfish

It sounds like you have a problem that needs checking out. The symptoms you describe usually mean you have something wrong. It could be a bladder, kidney or bowel problem or even something simple like having your shoes too tight.

The symptoms you describe is your bodies way of telling you there's a problem, so get it checked out. Do you also spasm more during these symptoms? Have you checked your body for marks, bruises or skin off?

I also have a problem with temperature control. I soon feel cold, and very hot weather gives me heat stroke due to my inability to sweat; I think my thermostats broken... :) I don't have the symptoms you describe, but I'm sure others here will know more.

Good luck

True Happiness can only be achieved if you share it with someone. Scrib's

#3 nomis

nomis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,998 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:Para T4
  • Injury Date:11-02-1970

Posted 13 January 2009 - 10:32 AM

Take note of what Scribs says and get it checked out, Swordfish.

You might already know that the vasomotor system that regulates your temperature by controlling your blood flow is based in the T8,7,6 area of the spine. With a cervical injury like yours, that vasomotor system no longer works efficiently.

Also, there seems to be a psychological component in that many spinal injury people report that once they get cold they can't get warm again even though physically they know their body is no longer cold. I don't understand it and have never seen an acceptable explanation but it appears that the mind gets locked in to believing the body is cold. Usually it goes away magically when you've had a sleep. If not, more reason to get it checked medically.

"We are all different - but we share the same human spirit. Perhaps it's human nature that we adapt - and survive." - Stephen Hawking 2013

#4 catmint

catmint

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,711 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:wife
  • Injury Date:C5/6 complete

Posted 13 January 2009 - 01:17 PM

Hi Swordfish

The boys make some good points.

Just to add my 2p worth . Those cold sweats are the absolute pits.. A few years ago my husband started to get them,central heating on full,2 x 14.9 tog duvets and a blower heater going full pelt made no difference..!!!Turned out his bladder wasn't emptying properly so he had surgery on his sphincter(spelling). So I would agree that the first thing to do is get it checked out.I dont know if you are in the U.K but if so I would get an apointment with your spinal unit..at the very least give them a ring.

I know exactly where your coming from regarding getting cold.My husband can get cold and putting on a jumper, turning up the heating and loads of hot drinks don't make any difference. It seems it just has to take it's course. I think nomis point about it being mind over matter is about the best explanation I have seen. I can't offer you a solution but you aren't alone.Same goes for the overheating..on the odd occasion we get a lovely hot day you will find my husband in the shade with a fan full on.
Take care
L

#5 Bandy

Bandy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5

Posted 13 January 2009 - 04:02 PM

Hi

I experienced trouble like this and found out it was bladder trouble. My bladder spasm caused lots of infection and so shivering fevers.I swapped to slow release oxybutanin xl (reduces bladder spasm), previously was taking normal oxybutanin 3 times a day. This solved my spasm, and have had no infection since - 3 years now.

#6 Padge111

Padge111

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:c5/c6
  • Injury Date:23.01.2002

Posted 14 January 2009 - 11:29 PM

Hi there

I had that problem few years ago. At one point i was changing my tops 3 times a day. Turns out it was bladder spasm one pill and i was fixed. The pill was called ditropan for a over active bladder.

Hope that helps

#7 Murray

Murray

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 370 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T6, T10-T11, complete

Posted 14 January 2009 - 11:49 PM

Hey, Swordfish -

Tho't I was the only guy who rolled around with his eyes shut -

Broke my right hip a month ago, didn't know it until two nights later when I had my first (and hopefully last) autonomic dysreflexia attack. Exactly like you described. I was uncontrollable - the shivers were so bad. Duh !! I had something wrong with me and didn't know it. Found out that nite at the ER. Didn't help the AD a whole lot, but at least I understood. Fortunately, my level of injury didn't place me at high risk with the attack.

Like the others said - get checked out - soon... yesterday!

Good luck
Lynn
Obey little. Resist much. -Whitman
Irrevence is the champion of liberty and its only defense. -Twain

#8 allis53ca

allis53ca

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 771 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:c-5
  • Injury Date:08-09-2003

Posted 15 January 2009 - 12:51 AM

"urispaz" worked for me with this...but you sound UTI ??

#9 Swordfish

Swordfish

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C7 / T6
  • Injury Date:99

Posted 15 January 2009 - 03:52 AM

@Scribbler: I don't have more spasms, my body is pretty 'calm' when it comes to involuntary movements during my 'temperature attacks'. I have checked my marks for bruises/marks... nothing!

@Nomis: Wow, I had no idea about that... very interesting! I got some research n learning to do. The psychological factor makes A LOT of sense. it works both ways, for heat and cold. Ibet you're like me when you got injured, found everything more interesting than sad :)

@Bandy/Catmint: You guys might be right... I think I posted on these forums about a problem I been having where I couldn't catheterize and I experience a 'blockage' which has been getting to be more and more lately.

I want to add more info so that I Can get all your inputs, but also so a future forum user can do a search and get some info...

You're all probably right, something ain't right! I've had a bladder issue with 'blockage' where I can't catheterize very well unless I'm sitting in a certain position, LOTS of lube, and very relaxed (it was never like this before) also, the other day when I was doing my bowel routine (I do digital stimulation) A LOT of blood came out.... I freaked out, but I couldn't go to the hospital. And since then my stomach has been making growling sounds (No, I'm not hungry)

I'd appreciate all yer input on this... I will be going to get checked out soon, but due to personal reasons it won't be for another few days. So council me until that my friends!

#10 In The Wind

In The Wind

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C-5/C-7 Incomplete

Posted 20 January 2009 - 01:33 AM

I get chills in the afternoon...pretty regular. Funny thing, the only thing that I've found that helps is getting under a blanket, over my head.

AD is another matter altogether...

The bloody bowel routine is part of it at times..if the stool is hard add a tiny (tiny) bit of miralax after dinner..

Cathing is certainly easier for me if my hips are forward..

#11 eujei

eujei

• Members
  • Pip
  • 94 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5 complete

Posted 22 January 2009 - 10:56 PM

@Scribbler: I don't have more spasms, my body is pretty 'calm' when it comes to involuntary movements during my 'temperature attacks'. I have checked my marks for bruises/marks... nothing!

@Nomis: Wow, I had no idea about that... very interesting! I got some research n learning to do. The psychological factor makes A LOT of sense. it works both ways, for heat and cold. Ibet you're like me when you got injured, found everything more interesting than sad :)

@Bandy/Catmint: You guys might be right... I think I posted on these forums about a problem I been having where I couldn't catheterize and I experience a 'blockage' which has been getting to be more and more lately.

I want to add more info so that I Can get all your inputs, but also so a future forum user can do a search and get some info...

You're all probably right, something ain't right! I've had a bladder issue with 'blockage' where I can't catheterize very well unless I'm sitting in a certain position, LOTS of lube, and very relaxed (it was never like this before) also, the other day when I was doing my bowel routine (I do digital stimulation) A LOT of blood came out.... I freaked out, but I couldn't go to the hospital. And since then my stomach has been making growling sounds (No, I'm not hungry)

I'd appreciate all yer input on this... I will be going to get checked out soon, but due to personal reasons it won't be for another few days. So council me until that my friends!

Growlind sounds and blood are results of hard feces. Its the sound of your bowels having a hard time propelling the feces, and the blood is from the hemmorhoids that hard stool can cause.

As for temperature control, its a problem for lesions higher then T4.. We lose our capability of sweating, so we heat up in warm rooms, and we lose our capability of retaining heat by vasoconstrition, and that is why we always have warm hands and feet and cool down in cold rooms.
We are like reptiles. But because we have clothes this process is slowed. So generally, when you re cold it will take a while to regain heat and vice-versa. So we must always think ahead. If you are going to stay outdoors in the night half an hour talking with your friends, put the jacket on half an hour sooner to gain heat, to lose it after outdoors.

So, if we sweat and our hands get cold its because something is activing our autonomic nervous system, which normally doesnt work properly. so of better found out what it is..
Donīt think in what you've lost, think in what you've kept!

#12 Apparelyzed

Apparelyzed

The Boss!

• **Admin
  • 4,795 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5/6 Anterior Cord
  • Injury Date:02-01-1992

Posted 10 January 2010 - 10:40 AM

This is a test post and will be deleted.

There is no need to report this post to the Moderators.

Regards

Simon

Posted Image   Posted Image
Follow the Apparelyzed Forum on our Facebook and Twitter feeds.

Spinal Cord Injury & Cauda Equina Syndrome Support

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries and cauda equina syndrome to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.