29 replies to this topic

#1 Jackiefff

Jackiefff

• Members
  • Pip
  • 138 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T6-T7 complete

Posted 19 January 2009 - 06:33 AM

So usually when I have an accident im in bed... usually sometime throughout the night or when i wake up in the morning! but the process from bed to commode chair.. is it just me or is it just hell to clean up afterwards?
I dont know if everyone has as big of a mess as i do after a accident.. another ruined pair of pants, washing cushion or whatever else got dirty, cleaning the commode chair and then cleaning the shower chair during/after my shower..considering I most likely need to clean up more if the commode is dirty!
my commode is stained like a redish color at the top and then some brown on the sides.. it grosses me out! i cleaned it and cleaned it and theres no going back to the same color as the rest of the cushion. ( i have a padded commode) Also, it can be kinda emmbarassing when people see it in my bathroom, rather they notice it or not.. or if they cant put 2 and 2 together!

So is it just me or does everyone go through this mess every single time they crap thier pants! :help:

#2 fatdave

fatdave

Intermediate Member

• Closed Account
  • PipPip
  • 869 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L5/S1 cauda equina

Posted 19 January 2009 - 06:46 AM

Jackie, I feel for you. I hate when I have an accident, not only is it embarrassing but I agree it is such a damn to clean up! I hate when people are over and see my commode, and the stains make it so much worse! I am lucky to have a separate bathroom, but sometimes guest still have to use it.
Never explain--your friends do not need it and your enemies will not believe you anyway.
Elbert Hubbard
US author (1856 - 1915)

#3 edlee

edlee

Super Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,512 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:t-10 complete
  • Injury Date:11-18-2004

Posted 19 January 2009 - 08:06 PM

I'm knocking on wood as I type this,,,, but here goes,,,, I haven't had the BIG ONES but three times in the three and a half years since rehab. They were horrendous, I admit,, and the clean up was no picnic.

What has helped me most, I think, is when I stopped taking stool softeners,,,,, for me, firmer is better. The times, now, that I have "accidents", things aren't,,,,,sloppy,,,

I do my routine every night, and occasionally,, if I notice "skid marks" again in the morning,,,, this doesn't happen often,,, but I keep checking anyway.

I will admit,,, it takes a lot of digital stim,,,, with a capital "dig",,,,but I prefer it to the alternative.

As for the comode/shower chair,,, I drag mine outside and use a pressure washer on it,,,,go easy on the padded parts,,,, after spraying it down with a rust/calcium remover.

I don't know if any of this will help you,, but,,, here it is .
ed

#4 Ches

Ches

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,381 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T4/T5
  • Injury Date:15-04-2007

Posted 19 January 2009 - 09:11 PM

Maybe try keeping a towel handy, just throw it on the bed or in the chair before going to sleep. No one will know the difference, for all they know you couldve taken a shower just before bed. That may, at the least, help protect the cushion cover.

I looked up 'cleaning vinyl' http://www.doityourself.com/stry/vinyl its def a tricky one. Best thing to do is start with a stain repellent and to keep up messes as soon as possible.

You best bet may be to get a new commode chair and start all over. If you can come up with a less messy solution it may be possible to maintain its appearance. Not sure, just a thought. Or if your a real DYI person, recover it.
Our Handicaps Exist Only In the Mind

#5 silone74

silone74

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 584 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T3,T4,L1

Posted 19 January 2009 - 10:14 PM

Hi yep its a big pain no doubt about it but i find as stated keep a towel to hand helps and wet wipes so you can get onto cleaning asap.
i have a shower chair which doubles as a toilet chair,its blue in colour and it seems to resist any stainage the thing with me is i can sort of tell sometimes when i am going to have a soft one but not every time and then it can escape when transfering onto the toilet chair and i dont know why but before the sci it never smelt or looked
like it does now but then again i nerver looked at is close up before that LOL.
I have been looking for inco pads that are like towels that just lay on the bed we used to have them in rehab but cant find any they are perfect and no 1 really can see them but i cant find any to buy any where.
As for the stains on ya comode just lay a towel over it when its in the bathroom so it covers them so o 1 can see them.

Si
Motorcycle accident, or sniper fire depends who is in the room at the time LOL

#6 hurbshankin

hurbshankin

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 254 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:c-5/6 (6-24-07)

Posted 19 January 2009 - 11:51 PM

I sleep with a waterproof "chuck" under my rump and one under the sheet just in case, you know, an ounce of prevention. I also wear a disposable brief when I'm having issues. Like lately I've been having accidents like crazy. I've ruined a lot of pants cause I'm usually sitting upright in my chair, but not always.

Hurb :)

"Being is not enough, we must do; knowing is not enough, we must apply"
L. DaVinci

www.mastercraftwoodproducts.i8.com - pre-accident

#7 Quad65

Quad65

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 524 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5-C6 Quad

Posted 20 January 2009 - 02:54 AM

Wow. I don't want to come off as bragging, but accidents have been rare for me. Oh, I have loaded my pants a few times and not made it onto my commode. I'd guess I've had fewer than a dozen accidents in over 43 years. Aside from the impairment in my hands, bowel/bladder issues are the biggest frustration for me.

Is it my imagination or do paras seem to have more issues with bowel accidents? I seem to have had them when I've had a flu bug or some kind of sickness. Normally, I do my BP in the evening, skip 2-3 days in between, and do it again. A little digital stim to get going then a Dulcolax suppository to clean out the rest. I transfer from commode to bed after I'm done and slip a pad under my hip to catch any 'snotties' during the night while I sleep.

Ain't it fun sharing poop stories? Geez, I gotta get another hobby.
-- Whatever doesn't kill you, makes you want to get even real bad.

#8 chrisNamanda

chrisNamanda

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T-6 complete/partners

Posted 20 January 2009 - 04:16 AM

my fiance uses these throw away pads that you can find at any drug store like rite aid or cvs or walgreens and we have cloth pads or chucks like hurb said ,found those at a medical store

#9 Slowlegs

Slowlegs

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,215 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:Nerve damage/trauma

Posted 20 January 2009 - 07:53 AM

Not sure if they make them but how about a darker colour commode chair?

#10 silone74

silone74

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 584 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T3,T4,L1

Posted 20 January 2009 - 11:56 AM

They do commodes in black i used to have 1 when i first came home for weekends from rehab,the one i have now is blue and stains are not a problem on that one its really easy to clean 2 i just use anti bacteria spray and a cloth an it comes straight off no messin i do hate when ya finger goes through the cloth though LOL it takes more effort to get it off my fingers that bloody chair an then i am paranoid about my hand smellin of arse the hole day LOL.

Si.
Motorcycle accident, or sniper fire depends who is in the room at the time LOL

#11 StellaLAtella

StellaLAtella

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 539 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:spina bifida occulta

Posted 20 January 2009 - 04:04 PM

Jackiefff, you are NOT alone in this one. I gave up worrying what people thought about the stains on the toilet. If they don't like it, they can either clean it themselves, or go elsewhere. I hate accidents though. Been having them all my life and it's usually at the most inopportune time or place. It figures!
Stella

:)
~ Time flies, even when I am not having fun!

#12 carole338

carole338

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T11 L2 Incomplete ASIA C
  • Injury Date:26-02-2007

Posted 20 January 2009 - 07:10 PM

It is a continuous embarrassment. I have a few accidents a month and the clean-up is usually messy. I am in the process of planning a new bathroom and my main concern is the toilet proximity to the sink for easier clean-ups. You are far from alone.
"It's only the giving that makes you what you are." Tull

#13 Lol Hare

Lol Hare

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:c6/7 Complete
  • Injury Date:14-05-2003

Posted 20 January 2009 - 10:31 PM

I also wont sleep unless i'm on 2 inco sheets,i always lay on one side (s seems the norm) and have them underneath me then wrap them up around me before putting my duvet over me.I seem to go through phases,not having a mishap for months then maybe having 3-4 in a week! i'm a complete C6/C7 but get a faint sensation before and during,so when it happens i try to get off my chair or onto my bed (which i always leave with lots of inco sheets on and ready to get to) and quickly onto my side,then if it's a bad one i get in the shower and undress in my shower chair under the hose! it takes ages and sucks but at least it saves my chair or bedsheets :)
Sometimes we are the windscreens,sometimes we're the flies...

#14 qbounce

qbounce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,339 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C7 Complete (so I'm told)

Posted 21 January 2009 - 02:18 AM

My commode chair's Navy Blue cushion hides alot of those unsightly stains you're reffering to. I also sleep with a hand towel and wet wipes in my side drawer. Haven't had the opportunity to use them in awhile, but they're there if needed.
When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained. - Mark Twain

#15 qman

qman

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 224 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T12/L1

Posted 21 January 2009 - 10:35 AM

the main difference with paras and quads with bowel stuff is whether or not you have a reflex or passive bowel. for those with injuries at about L1 T12 there is often no reflect response. meaning that suppositories and stimulation have no effect. this is a blessing and a curse. for those with a reflex bowel there is usually something that triggers the movement (like sups or stim) and the sphincter will remain tightly closed until this occurs.

so yes sometimes low paras have more bowel issues than quads but everyone is different.

#16 the_walrus

the_walrus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T4

Posted 14 February 2009 - 01:42 AM

Oh yeah, that really is bad, but in bed isn't the worst
When you have an accident in a place you can't really change and clean yourself up, it happened to me once and I had to wait like 2 hours before being in place where I can clean myself up or when you have an accident then find you don't have any diapers with you, so you put on pants without a diaper and like 10 minutes later you have another accident. that is soooo damn bad,

Sorry for all the complaining guys, lol

#17 Santa Cruz Soul Surfer (LRO)

Santa Cruz Soul Surfer (LRO)

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L3 L4 S3 teathered T12

Posted 15 February 2009 - 05:40 PM

or when you have an accident then find you don't have any diapers with you, so you put on pants without a diaper and like 10 minutes later you have another accident. that is soooo damn bad!

LOL, been there before!...I finally came to the point where it was far easier to wear them 24/7 just in case. Always better to have them and not need them, then need them and not have them. :)

#18 Rjeez

Rjeez

• Members
  • Pip
  • 80 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:t10-t12 incomplete

Posted 15 February 2009 - 08:38 PM

I've got an idea.Why don't they just do shit coloured commodes?You heard it here first!

Seriously,it is a pain cleaning it up,and you don't want anyone to see it.And I live in a halfway house with carers who have seen everything,and it's still embarrassing.I refuse(adamantly)to let them clean any accidents.I've shit in the bin next to my bed before now (too much info?I am new here,you know) and snuck the turd out,and thrown tracksuit bottoms away rather than be seen hosing them down in the back garden.

Edited by Rjeez, 15 February 2009 - 08:38 PM.

R101

#19 Santa Cruz Soul Surfer (LRO)

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 09:36 PM

LOL, well first off, there are very few things that are "off limits" here. After all, this is why we're all here right?

Hey, how does one "shit in the bin" exactly? How the hell do you transfer onto it? Hehe, unless you have a toilet seat on it?

#20 WildKat

WildKat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 84 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C6 comp.

Posted 25 February 2009 - 09:51 AM

Also, it can be kinda emmbarassing when people see it in my bathroom, rather they notice it or not.. or if they cant put 2 and 2 together!

So is it just me or does everyone go through this mess every single time they crap thier pants! :)

I don't have that problem thankfully because I just use a regular toilet and a regular bath bench, but can you pull the shower curtain shut, or cover the seat with a towel so people don't see it? At least that way your not worrying about who saw it and who thought what. I'm trying to think of what might work to get the stains out. You could try a little bleech, but other than that I'm not sure. Everything seems to stain the stuff they are made of!

#21 Faithful Dove

Faithful Dove

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T5 Complete

Posted 25 February 2009 - 06:07 PM

All accidents are embarrassing, especially if you are around strangers! I too come hell or high water refuse to let anyone clean me up unless I am so totally sick that I can not move myself. However I perform my BP late at night every other day while laying down with throw away pads...much easier for me, then all the mess with transferring from chair to toilet seat, then having to heft everything to dump in toilet, then clean the bucket!

Much easier to be relaxed while stemming, use the pad then throw all in disposable bag and heft it off to the garbage. However when using my potti chair...I would always put water and a small amount of bleach in the bucket in between BM's, made it much easier to clean, and the smell was not as bad ewwwww!

I have no idea when I have to go, no feelings or nothing...maybe in time though eh?

Dove

#22 Ches

Ches

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,381 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 04:49 AM

However I perform my BP late at night every other day while laying down with throw away pads...much easier for me, then all the mess with transferring from chair to toilet seat, then having to heft everything to dump in toilet, then clean the bucket!

Much easier to be relaxed while stemming, use the pad then throw all in disposable bag and heft it off to the garbage.

I'm sorry but I have to disagree here. How can that entire process be any more relaxing/easy than jumping on a toilet.

A potty transfer can be as effortless as a bed transfer once you get the hang of it. For some people I understand its not a reality, but for others its matter of set up and practice. I see lots of people complain about the time spent with bowel care and all the added efforts. All that porcelain and transferring can be a bit intimidating, but its one of those things that will become second nature. Then you just have to worry about being too brave/strong and jumping over the damn thing.

#23 E-DOG

E-DOG

Intermediate Member

• Closed Account
  • PipPip
  • 1,768 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T-4 T-5 incomplete

Posted 27 February 2009 - 04:04 AM

However I perform my BP late at night every other day while laying down with throw away pads...much easier for me, then all the mess with transferring from chair to toilet seat, then having to heft everything to dump in toilet, then clean the bucket!

Much easier to be relaxed while stemming, use the pad then throw all in disposable bag and heft it off to the garbage.

I'm sorry but I have to disagree here. How can that entire process be any more relaxing/easy than jumping on a toilet.

A potty transfer can be as effortless as a bed transfer once you get the hang of it. For some people I understand its not a reality, but for others its matter of set up and practice. I see lots of people complain about the time spent with bowel care and all the added efforts. All that porcelain and transferring can be a bit intimidating, but its one of those things that will become second nature. Then you just have to worry about being too brave/strong and jumping over the damn thing.

Ches, what do you weigh, maybe ten pounds?
I'm up around thirty times that maybe more. Transfers ain't so easy for someone as "big boned" as I. I won't do B/C in bed if I don't have to.
Seems weird to me, like I'm sick or something. I place my heavily burdened body upon Betsy (my trusty crapper chair) each morning.

Involuntary clean up's a pain in the ass. I just wait till "bath day"
Every other Saturday, if I get the chance.

E
when it absolutely, positively, has to be destroyed overnight, call the Marines.

I will nevah, EVAH take a pinch from a greasy muddahf*@kah like you!

How 'bout if I spell it out for ya. D-I-L-L-I-G-A-F

#24 Ches

Ches

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,381 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 05:41 AM

Yeah I know EDOG you're right, I'm small, young and strong.. not everyone is as mobile. I'm a lucky para - there's an oxymoron for ya.

#25 Santa Cruz Soul Surfer (LRO)

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 06:09 AM

Yeah I know EDOG you're right, I'm small, young and strong.. not everyone is as mobile. I'm a lucky para - there's an oxymoron for ya.

LOFL...ya I can certainly appreciate that!... Such is the benefit of being young my friend! :swordfight:

#26 Meadowlarkmark

Meadowlarkmark

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C-4-C-5 partial quad

Posted 27 February 2009 - 05:16 PM

I have been pretty lucky over my forty some years of disability only three or four public accident and a couple of wake up surprises--if I am home and I have done a load in the pants I will transfer into shower and just hose my self off and then take the clothes off...

#27 Slowlegs

Slowlegs

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,215 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 09:14 PM

I've got an idea.Why don't they just do shit coloured commodes?You heard it here first!

Seriously,it is a pain cleaning it up,and you don't want anyone to see it.And I live in a halfway house with carers who have seen everything,and it's still embarrassing.I refuse(adamantly)to let them clean any accidents.I've shit in the bin next to my bed before now (too much info?I am new here,you know) and snuck the turd out,and thrown tracksuit bottoms away rather than be seen hosing them down in the back garden.

:lmao: :clap: :mfromg: :lol: Still laughing about the colour and the commode and especially the bin. You may get better with the aim in the bin if you put Osama's face in the bottom and call it "rubbish bin laden". Dude, welcome to the site. I value your sense of humour.

#28 Swordfish

Swordfish

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C7 / T6
  • Injury Date:99

Posted 28 February 2009 - 04:15 AM

oh man, do I feel you! I've got my 'routines' down to an art now, so I make SURE i don't have any accidents.

this thread just reminded me of a really bad moment in my life ... I had been newly injured and released from the hospital. I had an accident, much like you in bed, and I was on the commode (For 2 hours!) waiting for the nurse to come... when she came and saw the horrible mess on the bed, and on the floor, and in the bathroom -- she just flat out said
"I'm not cleaning that up"
I said "did I ask you too? just help me with my bowels!"
(at the time I wasnt doing my own bowel routine)
she took that as an excuse... and said "I'm not putting up with your attitude" and just left me there! on the commode! bitch!

sorry to bring the topic down... just had to share that ... I never told anyone about that ... it's good to let it out!!! woooooo

#29 Santa Cruz Soul Surfer (LRO)

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 06:12 AM

First thing you do, is lodge a formal complaint with IHSS (In Home Support Services). This will give her a automatic strike on her permanent record and require the state to launch a investigation as to the volatility of your claim... Placing her on non-paid leave of service, until the allegation is upheld by committee.

Bottom line being; That kind of deplorable behavior on her part is TOTALLY unacceptable of a caretaker and if she's too damn lazy to accept her duties, she needs to find another field to work in!...I thankfully have been blessed with some of the best and most considerate caretakers one could ask for, but I have had friends where it has been quite the opposite... Just don't forget the fact, that they are PAID BY THE STATE! And are responsible to YOU to sign off on their paychecks, if they can't/won't do their job, then they can find someone else to pay them!!! ;)

#30 Slowlegs

Slowlegs

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,215 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 10:57 PM

Bottom line being; That kind of deplorable behavior on her part is TOTALLY unacceptable of a caretaker and if she's too damn lazy to accept her duties, she needs to find another field to work in!...I thankfully have been blessed with some of the best and most considerate caretakers one could ask for, but I have had friends where it has been quite the opposite... Just don't forget the fact, that they are PAID BY THE STATE! And are responsible to YOU to sign off on their paychecks, if they can't/won't do their job, then they can find someone else to pay them!!! ;)

Actually, that reminds me of a story I have as well. I was in a stryker bed for a few months. It is like a stretcher but they would clamp on the top and turn you over like a rotisserie chicken then remove the bit that had just been under you. One time I was having a McDonalds hamburger, fries and thickshake combo and one of the greatest nurses I ever had cross threaded the bolt. The bed collapsed and landed on my thickshake (which was on a tray under my face). I got covered in a thickshake explosion. Other times they would forget to remove my catheter from the section they were walking away with and it would only stop them by yanking on the inside of my bladder. Mostly they were just resolved by a bit of a laugh once the pain had worn off as they were genuine mistakes.

One night however I had been turned over and was ready for lights out. I noticed pain in my stomach and my colostomy was suddenly working overtime. I rang the bell (something I rarely did) and the nurse shouted out "I'm busy and will be there soon". So, I waited all the time my bag was filling up like one of those soft serve ice cream machines was jammed on in there. They didn't realise but I used to haul myself around the room in my bed so I could look out the window at the park through a mirror. Ended up turning my bed round so I could see the nurses station reflected in the window through my mirror. You know what, the bitch was reading the freakin newspaper! So I dragged the bed over to the bell (I could only drag it where there was something to grab onto like the radiator or the handbasin but not out the door) and rang again. Once again she said she was busy.

After about an hour she still hadn't come in. I fell asleep, slept like a baby and woke up to a stink of about a litre of crap that had spilled all through my bed, over my sheepskins, me and my bed and the doctors were starting to do their rounds. So, they came in, asked what the smell was and saw it. "Why didn't you ring the bell" they said. OK, so I told them all about this useless nurse, how I had called and waited and called again. They called in the charge nurse, nobody was happy (well maybe me now I was being listened to) but especially the nurses who had just changed shift and had to turn me over six times before all the faecal eruption had been cleaned up. The other nurse came in and apologised but left a while later and once again tried to convert me to her lord JC. It happens all the time, that isn't the only example but one that the story posted by Swordfish reminded me of. Nobody minds mistakes because they happen to us all. It's when someone is a useless lazy slob refusing to do what they are paid for that it gets me.

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.