•  
  • Forum Help

Welcome to the Apparelyzed Spinal Cord Injury and Cauda Equina Syndrome Support Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to Apparelyzed, an active and vibrant spinal cord injury and cauda equina syndrome support forum. Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of our spinal cord injury support community by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Talk to others in real time in the Chat Room
Don't forget to follow the latest spinal cord injury news articles on our Facebook and Twitter feeds.

Posted Image Posted Image

We look forward to welcoming you to our community and reading your contributions and questions.

Simon
Forum Administrator.

Photo
- - - - -

Hands Free Drinking Systems

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Apparelyzed

Apparelyzed

Admin/Moderator/That Guy!

• **Admin
  • 4,828 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5/6 Anterior Cord
  • Injury Date:02-01-1992

Posted 29 January 2009 - 05:00 PM

Here are a couple of products which may be of help to those with higher level spinal cord injuries who want to drink on their own.

Drinkup - Hands-free Drinking System

Enables people to drink without assistance from Carers or Nurses
For the elderly, injured or less able person, where the use of hands arms or control of grip is impaired, weak or nonexistent.
Free standing and self-supporting.
Simple in design and fully adjustable.
Can be used whilst lying or seated, from a bed or chair.
Accepts almost any household cup, mug, glass, drinks can or NHS type jug for larger drinks.
The user controls the amount of fluid required via a special bite valve.
The bite valve acts as an anti-siphon valve and non-return valve.
Completely washable, with removable parts and reusable/disposable drinking tubes and bite valves.

From the Care Provider's view point

For use in hospitals, care/nursing homes and by individuals in their own homes.
In all situations Drinkup reduces the time given to the basic task of keeping the dependent person or Service User well hydrated.
In a professional care situation financial savings may result from the dependent person or Service User being well hydrated and/or reallocation of staff time, thus Drinkup pays for itself within a short period of time.
No electricity or batteries required.
For use in hospitals, care/nursing homes and by individuals in their own homes.

DrinkupZoom.jpg

The Hydrant

The Hydrant is a breakthrough product - an ingeniously simple, low-cost solution to the potentially life threatening issue of dehydration in healthcare.
Simply hooking The Hydrant onto a bed, wheelchair or chair gives users easy access to fluids so they can drink at any time without assistance.

HydrantBottleZoom.jpg

Further information and ordering from: http://drinkup.uk.com

follow_me-a.jpg   facebook-2.jpg
Follow the Apparelyzed Forum on our Facebook and Twitter feeds.

#2 orangepop

orangepop

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C3-C5

Posted 30 January 2009 - 03:25 AM

My fiance's a c3-5 quad and he has a CamelBak that he just wears on the back of his chair. It's like a little backpack with a water bottle inside and there's a long tube that reaches around the chair and into his lap. It's got the bite thing so when he wants a drink, he can get the tube up to his mouth and bite and drink.

They are made originally for mountain bikers I think. You can get them at any sports store. We got his at Dick's.

This one looks like the one he has: http://www.campsaver...elbak_magic.jpg

#3 KarenFerguson

KarenFerguson

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 747 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L3-L4 married to a C5

Posted 30 January 2009 - 06:26 PM

Ha, when I read the title of this post I immediately thought of one of those beer hat things. Sorry Simon ... :mfrlol:

Hubby's website: www.basketcasecomix.com
Find us on Facebook: http://www.facebook....ly.ferguson.585

#4 StillFingers

StillFingers

Super Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,621 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C4/5/6 Incomplete
  • Injury Date:07-05-1978

Posted 31 January 2009 - 05:07 AM

Simon,

I use this drinking aide. One near my bed for day/night hydration and one attached to my power wheelchair. They hold 28 ounces of liquid and the company will custom make the straws per your length needed; you can get extra straws also. It works great, its in the USA not sure if they ship international.

Drink-Aide
http://www.drink-aide.com/

drink_wheelchair.jpg

Edited by StillFingers, 31 January 2009 - 05:07 AM.

Only after we have lost everything, are we free to do anything.
Shooting With Still Fingers - http://shootingwiths...s.blogspot.com/

Spinal Cord Injury & Cauda Equina Syndrome Support

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries and cauda equina syndrome to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.