Welcome to the Apparelyzed Spinal Cord Injury and Cauda Equina Syndrome Support Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to Apparelyzed, an active and vibrant spinal cord injury and cauda equina syndrome support forum. Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of our spinal cord injury support community by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Talk to others in real time in the Chat Room
We look forward to welcoming you to our community and reading your contributions and questions.

Simon
Forum Administrator.

Photo
- - - - -

Which, If Any, Meds Do You Take For Your spinal cord injury And How Much?

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

Poll: Meds (115 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you take meds for your spinal cord injury?

1. Yes (103 votes [89.57%])

Percentage of vote: 89.57%

2. No (12 votes [10.43%])

Percentage of vote: 10.43%

Which kind of meds/how much do you take for your spinal cord injury

1. Pain meds, i.e., oxycontin, percocet, tylenol 3, etc. (57 votes [24.78%])

Percentage of vote: 24.78%

2. Nerve meds, i.e., lyrica, gabapentin, amitriptyline, etc. (59 votes [25.65%])

Percentage of vote: 25.65%

3. Muscle meds, i.e., baclofen, naproxen, etc. (57 votes [24.78%])

Percentage of vote: 24.78%

4. Other meds (55 votes [23.91%])

Percentage of vote: 23.91%

5. Non (2 votes [0.87%])

Percentage of vote: 0.87%

Do you expect to remain on meds for your spinal cord injury lifelong?

1. Yes (82 votes [70.09%])

Percentage of vote: 70.09%

2. No (32 votes [27.35%])

Percentage of vote: 27.35%

3. Unsure (3 votes [2.56%])

Percentage of vote: 2.56%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 City Girl

City Girl

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 241 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T12 INCOMPLETE, ASIA D

Posted 18 April 2009 - 09:59 PM

I'm really interested in hearing from those who take meds, what kinds of meds they take and what dosage. Do you expect to remain on your meds for your spinal cord injury lifelong? Are there any members who no longer take medications for their spinal cord injury?

~ City Girl ~
Well-behaved women seldom make history.  Laurel Thatcher Ulrich, 1976.
I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done. Lucille Ball

#2 longhaul

longhaul

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,513 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T6-T7

Posted 18 April 2009 - 10:34 PM

I use the evil weed for spasms and as an attitude adjuster, it works for me. I'm still waiting for all the bad stuff to happen, it's been about 40 years now. That's all I use for now...............

#3 Trinity

Trinity

2nd in Command!

• Moderators
  • 5,041 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T8 complete

Posted 18 April 2009 - 10:37 PM

Ok, well this is a rather long list for me, too long for my liking...
I currently take Lyrica (pregabalin) and nortriptyline for nerve pain, dihydrocodeine and tramadol (again for pain but not everyday, well not on work days anyway!) baclofen for spasms and oxybutynin for bladder. As far as I am concerned this is too much but I have tried to cut down on the pain med side of things but it makes life far too uncomfortable for me.
I think I will be taking drugs for the rest of my life, as much as I hate it, not taking them causes me far more problems than taking them. I certainly know if I have missed a dose.

Memento Vivere
Memento Mori

#4 BenjaminLucas

BenjaminLucas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 56 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T5/6 Complete

Posted 04 July 2009 - 04:24 AM

I take more vitamins than anything else, really.

Zirconium Pants.

#5 T0P

T0P

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T10 - Complete

Posted 04 July 2009 - 06:34 AM

Your poll wouldn't let me vote for some reason...

I am 5+ years post injury. My SCI was only one of "Many" injuries sustained in my accident. I used to take all kinds of medications, too many to remember and most I couldn't pronounce anyway. They were for Pain, depression, bowel meds, stomach meds and meds I didn't even know what they were for...

I now do not take anything.

Well I do take a psyllium dietary fiber supplement like Metamucil on a regular basis.
I also will every now and then but not on a regular basis take some Milk of Magnesia and on occasion I'll take Sennosides if I am feeling plugged up.
But other than that... Med Free

T.
"Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost." ~ Acts 2:38

#6 allister

allister

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 476 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T4 Complete

Posted 10 July 2009 - 06:16 AM

Fentanyl 50 patch's for pain
amitriptyline to aid muscle relaxation and inturn aid sleep ( yeh, like it reallyhelps - not)
Tried alsorts of pain relief over the years, Fentanyl does work.
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow.

#7 Patty41

Patty41

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C 5/6 Incomplete 1/2009

Posted 03 October 2009 - 11:47 PM

I'm really interested in hearing from those who take meds, what kinds of meds they take and what dosage. Do you expect to remain on your meds for your SCI lifelong? Are there any members who no longer take medications for their SCI?

I'm 9 months post accident (walking quad) and take the following meds:

1. Tramadol 40 mg twice daily (nerve pain)
2. Oxycodone 5 mg twice daily (nerve pain)
3. Gabapentin 300 mg three times daily (mood stablizer)
4. Liquid Multi Vitamin daily (supplement)
5. Zanaflex 4mg as needed (spams and tone)
Those who wish to sing, always find a song-Swedish Proverb

#8 Tetracyclone

Tetracyclone

Super Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,798 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C-5-7 incomplete
  • Injury Date:27-05-2008

Posted 14 October 2009 - 11:16 PM

Baclafen- 10 mg 3/day
gabapentin - 200mg 3/day except the 4pm dose is 300
see, early evening is the witching hours...
Interesting that Patty41 takes gabapentin as a mood stabilizer. I was given this for the prickly nerve numbness that bothers me most in the hands, but also in legs after "lots" of excersize. I've read that it is a mood stabilizer, but my moods are not stable.

I tried to minimize drugs at first (still do) but realize now that some permanent damage resulted from spasm activity early, and it could have been prevented if I had dosed up. I am stronger with the meds, not weaker, though I'm told my dosage is not high.

Increasing dosage does not help spasticity due to bladder or bowel problems- or any problems, including cold. It only helps at the baseline

Interesting topic. pwuff

#9 qbounce

qbounce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,339 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C7 Complete (so I'm told)

Posted 15 October 2009 - 04:27 PM

Another pole I missed. Here's my NEW list:

1). Baclofen 20mg x4 a day
2). Oxybutynin 5mg x3 a day
3). Fludrocortisone .1mg x2 a day (new one for me on a limited basis, raises heart rate).
4). Multi vitamin x1 a day

I have a very low dosage perscription for Gabapentin (100mg), but even that made me a little lethargic. I can't touch the stuff. Anyone want some drugs??

To add, I left the hospital with all kinds of drugs. 9 pills to be exact, including blood thinners and stool softeners, so I'm happy to be down to just 4 and eventually 3 again.
When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained. - Mark Twain

#10 allis53ca

allis53ca

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 771 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:c-5
  • Injury Date:08-09-2003

Posted 15 October 2009 - 05:41 PM

just lyrica and mary jane when shes around

#11 Zoo

Zoo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T-7 complete

Posted 23 January 2010 - 03:41 AM

Baclofen 20mg 4x Daily(although I still have severe spasms most of day)
Multivitamin
P.U.S.H "Pain Underlying Strength & Hope"

#12 Anna16

Anna16

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 974 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L2

Posted 23 January 2010 - 03:53 AM

This is really interesting reading other peoples replies. I don't take any medication at all for SCI. Now it has me wondering if I should be? I know every case is different, but I see some incompletes are taking some too. Obviously if you don't need it there is no reason to take it, but still. It has me wondering!

Hmm...
You want to be really great? Then have the courage to fail big and stick around. Make them wonder why you're still smiling

#13 S&W Winger

S&W Winger

Advanced Member

• Closed Account
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,950 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T-7 Com / C6,T3/4 Inc

Posted 23 January 2010 - 04:57 AM

Baclofen - 80-100 mg. (20 mg., 4x, occ. extra)
Valium - 8-12 mg. (2-4 mg., 4x)
Oxycodone - 60 mg. (10 mg., 6x)
Lyrica - 450 mg. (300 PM, 150 AM)

Every doc wants to increase my pain meds (and do time-released) but I will not and my doses at least take the edge off...also consume a plethora of other meds for a multitude of stuff... :specool:

As I still spasm severely, plan on a Baclofen/morphine pump as soon as I can stop having various infections and other complications long enough... :P

After reading a lot of posts on this thread and elsewhere here...I am actually considering smoking some pot for the first time since the fun days of my youth over 30 years ago! Now, just to figure out where/how/who about acquiring some... :D

Beverly

"A wild patience has taken me this far..."

#14 Tetracyclone

Tetracyclone

Super Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,798 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C-5-7 incomplete
  • Injury Date:27-05-2008

Posted 23 January 2010 - 04:04 PM

This is really interesting reading other peoples replies. I don't take any medication at all for SCI. Now it has me wondering if I should be? I know every case is different, but I see some incompletes are taking some too. Obviously if you don't need it there is no reason to take it, but still. It has me wondering!

Hmm...

If you are not suffering then don't take any. All have downside and are only used to ameliorate bad spasticity or pain, or problems of incontinence.

Edited by Tetracyclone, 23 January 2010 - 04:05 PM.

#15 oljeffy

oljeffy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L1

Posted 28 January 2010 - 05:04 PM

Baclofen- 15mg 3 times daily
Lyrica-150mg twice daily
Oxybutynin- 5mg 3 times daily

#16 McTavish

McTavish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,091 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T4 incomplete
  • Injury Date:29-03-2005

Posted 28 January 2010 - 05:19 PM

I must be one of the lucky ones. Don't take any medication, have no pain, long may it last.

#17 lar60

lar60

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5/C6 incomplete

Posted 28 January 2010 - 08:51 PM

I'm really interested in hearing from those who take meds, what kinds of meds they take and what dosage. Do you expect to remain on your meds for your SCI lifelong? Are there any members who no longer take medications for their SCI?

City Girl,
I am almost 9 months post accident. I take 15mg baclofen 6 times daily for spasms and 300mg gabapentin 4 times daily for the burning sensation in my feet. I have been told that I have a good chance for full recovery and hope to be able to be off all medications.

#18 DannyR

DannyR

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 804 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C-4/C-5 Walker

Posted 29 January 2010 - 01:06 AM

I take a lot of meds but most is for other things I am diabetic and have had a stroke but didn't have any sideaffects from it. I take loritab 3 times a day for pain, baclofen 10 mg 2 times 5 mg 2 times. I take metamucil and have started taking ambein as do not sleep very well any more and cymbalta don't know if I spelled that right but it is an antidepressant.

#19 Wheelsonfire

Wheelsonfire

Members

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,259 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:d2 to d4 (Admin Note: Banned for acting the gobshite, one time too many)

Posted 29 January 2010 - 01:10 AM

Baclofen 60mg -3 and sometimes 4 times a day.

Training;
Nano Vapor http://www.bodybuild...re/mt/nano.html
Cell tech http://www.bodybuild...t/cellhard.html
Multivit http://www.bodybuild...v/animalpak.htm
Protein http://www.bodybuild...e/opt/whey.html
ZMA http://www.bodybuild...re/opt/zma.html
And a cod liver oil capsule

I don't think I have room for anything else in the body!!
Seemingly, "support" is very "serious" and you should never have a thought of your own..... My Blog

#20 poizon74

poizon74

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L-1

Posted 16 February 2010 - 12:48 AM

When I was in physical rehab they had me on a bunch of meds. Once I got home I stopped taking all of them. I do still have some pain but I actually think my pain for better when I stopped taking the meds. Not sure why (my doctor doesnt know either), but I keep thinking maybe the roller coaster of being in pain -> take meds -> less pain -> pain returns was worse/more noticeable than just fighting through the pain all the time. I feel like since I'm always in some pain that I've become desensitized to it. A consequence of that however is that it becomes really hard to tell if my pain is actually getting better or if I'm just becoming more used to it.... but then again.... that it even matter?

#21 mkind27

mkind27

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C6

Posted 26 September 2010 - 10:03 AM

Gabapenten 600 mg 4 times a day
Baclafin 30 mg 4 times per day
Oxycoyon 20 mg twice a day
Valium night time to help sleep.... Doesn't work
Couple bladder meds detrol +
I have diladid fo pain as needed.

Way to much doctor love getting you on all this while your laying there now I gotta fight like he'll to get off as much as I can

#22 cathie

cathie

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 553 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C7 inc

Posted 26 September 2010 - 11:14 AM

Baclofen 25mg 3-4 times a day for spasms
Slow release tramadol 200mg twice a day as required for pain
Panadeine Forte 3-4 times a day for pain, but needs to be taken with tramadol otherwise no effect
Maxolon if taking tramadol (tramadol causes me to puke and have no other pain meds that work/that I'm not allergic to/that my GP can prescribe)
Movicol for bowels is being trialled but not a good mix with IBS
Have been on oyxbutinin, colofac and some other med for incontinence (oxy no longer works after I was overdosed in hospital and the others cause my bladder to retain huge amounts)
Waiting for appointment with pain management dr with spinal clinic
Also been on Anti depressants, mood stabilisers and anti psychotics to try and help with pain, mood, etc.

#23 Andrew Meddings

Andrew Meddings

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 295 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:t4
  • Injury Date:12-04-2000

Posted 26 September 2010 - 11:35 AM

i dont take anything. in hospital i found dr's pescribing a pill to piss & one not to. one to make you sleep one to wake you up. pain meds , spazism pills, stuff to make you shit & pills to hold it in. i found with diet , exersize & will power none of the above were needed. when i stopped taking baclafin i felt like a drug addict with withdrawal symptons. i had convulsions & sweats for 2 days . i wasnt told it was a addictive drug when it was pescribed & didnt find it did anything for me except loose my allertness.
tell me its impossible & i will show you how its done

#24 pinkcloud

pinkcloud

Intermediate Member

• Closed Account
  • PipPip
  • 1,234 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:t7 incomplete

Posted 26 September 2010 - 11:43 AM

Baclofen - just 5mgs 3 times a day (this space cadets me a little so I will be wary of upping them)

Lyrica 300 mgs a day

Diclofenac 150 mg a day

Panadol (great for nerve pain) 8 tablets a day

Lidocaine patches - 3 patches a day when I am going out - I try to not use unless i have to but they are great

Morphine patch just prescrbed - not sure whether to take it or not yet

Neuro doc wants me on amitriptylin instead of lyrica - not sure i want to change though.

Ad meds - again I control this meself so dont want to take more than have too

On tablets for life - well i am told in 18 months things ought to ease. I have no problems coming off meds - i came of morphine, oramorph, gabapentin, Tramadol and other coctail of drugs 4 weeks post op and just went on Ibuprofen and paracetamol -but the meds won in the end as life was unbearable. It was hard but I did it. I looked and felt like a heroin addict.

I hope to be off them all but will see what happens. i also have fags -and i hope to kick that habit which is the hardest.

For them that have asked - this current cocktail dosnt take the pain away - it makes me care less about it though. The neuro said that nothing will take me pain away - all he can hope to do is make me a little more comfortable in life. I would say to anyone that if you can handle the effects of drugs - take them. This life I have is very hard work yet me mind is stronger than the pain - I will do all I can before being drugged out of me eyeballs again :)

#25 Snakeye

Snakeye

Intermediate Member

• Closed Account
  • PipPip
  • 1,069 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:c6-7 incomplete

Posted 26 September 2010 - 04:59 PM

Bacoflen 10mg daily-Ativan 0.5 daily-Ibuprofen-stool softners and 5mg Percocet twice a week (Trying to stop taking that but pain flares up).Otherwise diabetic meds and finally got off anti-deppressent med a year ago which was perscribed for PTSD....

#26 twentieth

twentieth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 124 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T6 complete

Posted 07 November 2010 - 02:58 AM

Ditropan XL(10mg), twice a day. Nothing more.
"Question every word, every phrase of every alleged truth that is fed to you...for what is true for the master is rarely true for the slave." Gerry Spence.

#27 City Girl

City Girl

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 241 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T12 INCOMPLETE, ASIA D

Posted 01 May 2011 - 01:45 AM

I forgot that Ihad created this poll. It is interesting to see that most people take meds to help manage their pain issues and that they expect to be on those meds forever. I do know a few people who do not have pain as a result of their SCI. I am not,however, one of them. I am 3.5 yrs post-SCI and these are the meds and supplements that I take:

For SCI

25 mg Amitriptyline – nightly for neuropathic pain in my feet. I went off this drug for one month at 2 years post-SCI in hopes of raising my pain tolerance but I was in agony so I have accepted that I need to remain on this med forever.

10 mg Oxycontin – not daily but a few times/week to manage my pain during the day.

70 mg Alendronate – once a week to help maintain bone density which has weakened since my SCI.

For Menopauseand anti-aging

I recently began this stage of life and read Suzanne Somers' book, The Sexy Years about menopause and bio-identical hormone therapy to alleviate the: Itchy, Bitchy, Sweaty, Sleepy, Weepy, Bloated, Wrinkly, Forgetful and Dried-up symptoms of menopause.

.25 mg Bio-identical Estradiol – twice daily for 25 days and then off for 5 days. This hormone helps maintainbone density, a healthy heart, healthy skin, healthy cholesterol levels,healthy insulin & glucose levels and facilitates clear-thinking.

50 mg Bio-identical Progesterone – twice daily from days 10-25 and then off for 5 days. This hormone preventsheadaches, anxiety, sleep disruption, water retention, breast tenderness, uterine fibroids and fibrocystic breast disease.

Supplements for health and anti-aging

Vitamin A (from fish liver oil) 10,000 IU 3x weekly – antioxidant for the body, healthy brain, teeth, bones, eyes andskin/nails/hair.

Vitamin B100 complex (timereleased) daily – for healthy skin/hair/nails, nervous system, metabolism and energy

Vitamin C 1000 mg daily – antioxidant for the body, healthy brain, skin and immune system

Vitamin D 1000 IU twice daily (am & pm) – for calcium uptake (bone health). D has also shown to be preventative in many forms of cancer.

Vitamin E 400 IU 3x weekly – antioxidant for the body, healthy brain, skin, hair health

Calcium 500 mg twice daily (am & pm) – bone health

Magnesium 420 mgdaily – bone health, energyproduction (works with Calcium and B Vitamins)

Selenium 50 mcg 3x weekly – antioxidant that works with Vitamin E, nervous system function

Zinc 50 mg 3x weekly – healthy metabolism, immune system, vision, wound healing

Coenzyme Q10 100mg daily – antioxidant for the heart,produces energy in mitochondria (energy producing units of the cell)

Omega-3 Fatty Acid 1000 mg daily (from fish oil) –healthy skin, bowel function, increases serotonin (the happy neurotransmitter)

Protein 100 by Genesis 1oz daily (15 grams protein)– building muscles for which I am doing weight-training, contains collagen forhealthy skin, increased protein intake helps to prevent pressure sores

Cinnamon 1 tbsp daily – Very powerful antioxidant! Istir this into my oatmeal or crunch topping for my yogurt.

Edited by City Girl, 01 May 2011 - 07:00 AM.

~ City Girl ~
Well-behaved women seldom make history.  Laurel Thatcher Ulrich, 1976.
I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done. Lucille Ball

#28 goose

goose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,224 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C 4/5
  • Injury Date:13-08-1986

Posted 01 May 2011 - 02:07 AM

i just started taking-----gabapentin [100 mg.] before bed

D-Mannose to prevent uti
vit. D
potassium [on occassion]
calcium

#29 mellowgator

mellowgator

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,871 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C 6/7

Posted 01 May 2011 - 02:27 AM

city girl,

i'm interested in all the suppliments you are taking. are they making you feel better? i'd love to hear your experience with these.

i take the same stuff as everyone else.

oxytrol patch

oxycontin 40mg 4x day

mobic 15mg 1x day

valium 10mg as needed

enemeez ampule 3x week

neurontin and lyrica as needed

lidocaine patches as needed

a couple of bowls a day

i've been on these meds for years and don't see a time when i won't need them.

mellowgator

Edited by mellowgator, 01 May 2011 - 03:22 AM.

hi fellow gimps! i'm a c 6/7 quad and have been injured since 1986. i was in a roll over hydroplane accident and it took hours for the paramedics to get me out of the car in the pouring rain. that definately wasn't my day. but alas life goes on!

#30 StillFingers

StillFingers

Super Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,620 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C4/5/6 Incomplete
  • Injury Date:07-05-1978

Posted 01 May 2011 - 03:03 AM

I'm a hardcase, stuborn and perhaps foolish but I take little to nothing...tylenol/motrin on occasion, a rare shot of tequila...other than those I've been clean since my SCI; do not ask about my pre-sci days tho :seehearspeak:

I do take supplements, most listed by citygirl, along with cranberry pills!

My main source of pain relief is meditation, music...as well as grinning and baring it :D
Only after we have lost everything, are we free to do anything.
Shooting With Still Fingers - http://shootingwiths...s.blogspot.com/

Spinal Cord Injury & Cauda Equina Syndrome Support

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries and cauda equina syndrome to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.