#1 kaikai

kaikai

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:OT

Posted 28 May 2009 - 11:59 AM

Hello,
I am a french OT working in England.
One of my patients would like to try or buy a quad bike (he is going to get back to Lybia, where he lives, and wants to use it in the desert. He is paraplegic level T7).
I have no experience for this type of equipment so could you help me??!
First of all, has someone had an experience with a quad bike (paraplegic, level?)?
Is it safe, I mean can you lose your balance and fall?
Which type of adaptations do you need? (I imagine hands control... but for your legs, do you need something to hold your legs??).
Where did you go for the adaptations??
And have you seen an engineer or whoever before you decide to buy the quadbike?? (because if he decides to buy the quadbike, is he sure that the future adaptations are going to be suitable for him..?).

It is a lot of questions I know!

I m looking forward for your answers.

and have a nice day!

Thanks a lot,
Aurelie.

#2 OmniLee

OmniLee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C6/C7

Posted 28 May 2009 - 03:13 PM

By your questions, can I safely assume you're referring to a motorcycle? If that is the case there are basically two options. A motorcycle with a side car with a ramp and controls on the sidecar. The second is a trike, three-wheel motorcycle. The second is cheaper, safer, and lastly easier to build and maintain.

In either case, a motorcycle with an automatic transmission is required. I may be wrong, but I believe Honda is the only company producing large bikes with automatics.

Now lets talk about a Bike with a sidecar. While this is done quite often, it is typically done for Quads as they (myself included -- C6/C7 Quad) cannot actually mount the seat nor can they usually handle the controls. A large box like sidecar is built to hold the rider in his wheelchair. Hand controls are mounted on the sidecar, either a steering wheel or motorcycle bars. Connections are then made to the front forks to enable steering. Right-Angle hand control are also added for breaks and throttle (form factor is preferential).

A Trike on the otherhand, as previously mentioned requires far less modification. And in my opinion far safer, but I'll leave that to experienced Trike riders to verify or discount. Modifcations to a Trike are minimal, an actuator is required for the transmission, footplates for strapping the feet in place, and some form of rack for the wheelchair are all that is requred. There are Trike shops that do the required modifcations. Unfortunately, I do not know of any in the UK.

Good luck on this journey, it will be a fun trip.

#3 dancin' johnny

dancin' johnny

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,884 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:Completely T10'd

Posted 28 May 2009 - 04:44 PM

Hello Aurelie,

I'm a t10 paraplegic and I have a Quad bike {ATV}.

They are as safe as you want them to be! I have fairly good balance but even without I think I would manage as holding on to the handlebars supports you as you go. I have fallen off a couple of times, the first was down to speed and a tree root and the second time I tipped it over sideways on a steep incline. {so both down to driver error not paraplegia!}

I didn't need any adaptations, most quads are automatic, so it's just rev and go. The Honda I have has and esp gear change system which is two buttons on the left handlebar, one for up and one for down, that might be something to consider if your patient wants the thrill of gear changing.

Brakes are on the handlebars so no problems there.

I don't use anything to hold my legs and feet in place, but I would advise looking at utility quads with protection around the foot pegs, rather than sports models which generally just have the pegs.

Your best bet would be to go and test drive a few.

Hope this helps, ask away if you have any more questions,

Johnny.
How does it feel to feel?

#4 fenty

fenty

• Members
  • Pip
  • 72 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T4
  • Injury Date:27-05-2012

Posted 01 June 2009 - 11:00 AM

Have to disagree with several; point from both of you guys. Trikes are not necessarily easier or cheaper to build than a sidecar, but since you are taking about an ATV thats a moot point.

You do not need an automatic gearbox. a company called Kliktronic supply a push button setup that can operate a manual gearbox. This is useful as most quads are NOT automatic. Many have a fully automatic box, a lot more have an auto clutch but still need to be changed through the gears manually. Many more have a a manual clutch/gearchange setup like a motorcycle.

The rear brake can be operated by a thumb brake setup or twin levers on the right handlebar.

A velcro breakaway strap is needed to keep your knees from splaying and add stability, and a seat bum would be useful to stop the rider gradually sliding backwards.

I'm a T4 complete and like dancin' Johnny my balance is crap but having the bars to hold onto makes this much less of an issue. I can easily take my trike up to the limits of it handling without balance issues as long as I keep both hands on the bars.

Here are a couple of links to topics about my trike, the adaptions here will work on a quad.

http://www.apparelyz...showtopic=11479

http://www.apparelyz...?showtopic=9916

Honda make a Quad called the rubicon which has a push button gear/ auto clutch setup and both brakes on the bars. My cousin has one for the farm and it is ideal for a para to ride with a strap to keep legs in place.
"Alcohol and Calculus Don't Mix..... Never Drink and Derive..."

#5 Doodle

Doodle

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 884 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L1 incomplete
  • Injury Date:05-08-2005

Posted 01 June 2009 - 01:15 PM

Hello Im an L1 incomplete, but basically a complete becuase I can't stand or walk!

I have a Yamaha Grizzly Automatic Quad bike. Its only 125cc. So wouldnt say its a working quad for farms etc. but it does the job for hills mud etc. Its small enough so I can get on and off independantly.

I havent fallen off mine, I havent found any balance issues once im on the quad as the handle bars at the front are pretty good.

I made no adaptions to the quad, the accelerator is on the handle bars and also the hand break is there aswell. I also use nothing for my legs, the quad has foot plates opposes to pegs, so solid surface for feet to rest on. And I never had any problems with legs splaying or bum sliding unlike fenty. The Automatic box in under the quad where you change it reverse, neutral and forward!

Sorry If that isnt of any use.
Everything will be alright in the end, if it's not alright then it's not the end!

#6 kaikai

kaikai

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 12:11 PM

Thank you so much guys for your answers! It helps me a lot!

Some few other questions (sorry!) regarding your replies..

Did you all of you try the quad before buying it? And in this situation, how did you manage to get on the quad?? I mean, quad looks quite massive, so my patient is going to need help to get on but am I able to help him?? (I don t want the sell man to break his back..!). So is it easier that it seems to be?
For the straps or any other adapations, have you done that with the company who sold you the quad? Or a special engineer?
Did you buy a new quad bike or second hand quad? Which type of price ? I mean, usually, can you find around 1000 pounds or 3-4 thousand pounds?

Thank you so much again!

Enjoy the sun,

Aurelie.

#7 Doodle

Doodle

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 12:37 PM

I never tried my quad before hand. I had borrowed a couple of quads before for using a horsey events, both were manual, and i had to use a walking stick to change the gears. Both the Quads were massive and I knew anything smaller would be easier for me to get on to. If you want i could take a video or pictures of me getting on the quad so you can show your patient?! For me its easy to get on my self, I used to get a bit of help before I built up my confidence transferring. For me I never had any adaptions made, if its an automatic, he shouldnt need any, so maybe if he tried it out a few quads and see how he gets on before he buys that way he can work out if he wants adpations or straps to help with balance etc.

My quad was new, and I cant remember how much it cost, possibly in the range of 3000.

Im sure there is plenty decent second hand quads out there.
Everything will be alright in the end, if it's not alright then it's not the end!

#8 dancin' johnny

dancin' johnny

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 09:57 PM

I didn't try mine before I got it either, I just knew I'd get on it somehow.

The method I use for mounting mine has been refined over the years but still strangely always varies.

It goes something like this:

Roll up to the side of the quad you fancy mounting.

Put both feet in the footwell and shuffle forward in your chair.

Grab handle bar on your side for balance

Lift nearest leg to quad over fuel tank and rest on seat.

Grab the back rack with your free hand

Lean forward, head down, and pull yourself up and on.

For the dismount, I get one leg back over the tank and from a side saddle position with my feet out of the footwell I slide down and twist in.

This looks easier written down, the other method I use for dismounting is stupidity.

Edited by dancin' johnny, 03 June 2009 - 09:58 PM.

#9 kaikai

kaikai

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 11:01 AM

hi,
thank you very much for your reply!
I gave all this information to my patient.
He thinks to buy one when he will be back in Lybia.
He is interested in the video to see how you manage to get on your quad..
If you have some time, we ll be pleased to see that but its up to you! I mean, we really thank you already for your help..

Have a nice day,

Aurelie.

#10 twisted_ophelia

twisted_ophelia

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,648 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T7 incomplete

Posted 11 June 2009 - 04:41 PM

This thread has made me want an ATV. Actually I've been wanting one for a while. Some friends of mine have them and I've ridden them (and fallen off) but I really want my own. Fun! The ones I've ridden had no adaptations or anything as they belong to AB friends. I didn't really have any issues that were the result of my SCI. All of my falls were results of going too fast and hitting something on the ground that tripped me up. B)
Mimi Machine! Extreme Sports and Spinal Cord Injury Blog - http://mimimachine.blogspot.com
http://www.twitter.com/twisted_ophelia

#11 dancin' johnny

dancin' johnny

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 01:11 PM

#12 fatcrx

fatcrx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 74 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:c6

Posted 21 August 2009 - 08:12 PM

man i would love to ride a quad again but my fingers do not work,does that rule me out?
Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence.

#13 648spe

648spe

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:t6

Posted 11 October 2009 - 01:35 PM

man i would love to ride a quad again but my fingers do not work,does that rule me out?

Hello,
i see you have a back rest.Can you tell me where you got this as i need one as i have just got a quad.
thanks.
steve

#14 Skrads

Skrads

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T10-12 Para

Posted 12 October 2009 - 01:20 AM

I just bought a Yamaha Bruin 350cc Auto 2x4 on the weekend. I dont really need to do any modifications but we are going to do a few to make it easier for me to get on and off independently and to hold my feet in.

I am a T10-12 complete and have had no problem with balance. After practice you will begin to learn which way to lean etc. to help to bike turn and to keep yourself balanced.

I tried my mates Suzuki Tiger 400cc Auto 4x4 a couple of times before I got mine. Loved it the second I got on it. I recommend doing research first into your ability, the type/size of bike you should get and what you want to do on it. I got a utility/farm quad as I wanted something I could pot along in when I go shooting or helping mates out with work. I got it as a 350cc as I also wanted something I could use when my mates went motocross riding so I could keep up with them. Remember though that the larger the engine on the quad, the bigger the bike and therefore the stronger you need to be to handle the bike and greater skill to tranfer etc.

#15 Ratticis

Ratticis

Super Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,440 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T4 Complete(ly insane)
  • Injury Date:07-08-2007

Posted 12 October 2009 - 01:44 AM

I've been wanting to get a quad for a while now, and i's fall so it's the right time to buy

HANDICAPPED HOTRODS 2ND ANNUAL CAR SHOW

http://socialarchite...4?layout=single

#16 Doodle

Doodle

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 07:56 PM

Chris, you should totally go for it!!! Great fun and good fun for getting around on!!

Hello,
i see you have a back rest.Can you tell me where you got this as i need one as i have just got a quad.
thanks.
steve

Hi Steve, I think you would need to go onto you tube and ask the person who posted the video! As the person who posted the video on here isnt the same person in the video!

Edited by Doodle-86, 12 October 2009 - 07:57 PM.

#17 guido

guido

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,216 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L1
  • Injury Date:13-08-2003

Posted 12 October 2009 - 09:32 PM

Got a Kawasaki (after my Honda got nicked by some local kids - though Law in this stupid country meant I couldn't do anything about it!) and actually it's a great machine:

1. automatic gears, easily hand operated at a convenient level
2. built in foot plates, meaning feet can't slip under wheels
3. cheaper price than many other makes (bought 2nd hand anyway!)
4. big wide comfy seat, unlike Honda's straight and narrow (better for balance too!)
5. it's green

fantastic for taking dogs for walk. they love it too, soon as engine starts up (though got a silencer fitted to quieten it a bit)

for UK residents - DisabledGear.com - the FREE-Ads website for 2nd hand disability equipment.

#18 Skrads

Skrads

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T10-12 Para

Posted 13 October 2009 - 03:39 AM

Check out this video. This was the first time I rode a quad bike after my accident. It was filmed only 6 weeks ago. Now I have my own.

It is on my Youtube channel "Aussie Pride Films". Make sure you subscribe because I will be putting up a lot of other videos like it.

#19 Ratticis

Ratticis

Super Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,440 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T4 Complete(ly insane)
  • Injury Date:07-08-2007

Posted 13 October 2009 - 03:52 AM

My brother rode his bike (175 Honda) for probably the last time this year. There's starting to be snow on the ground. Think I'm gunna hafta get on a snowmobile this winter too.

HANDICAPPED HOTRODS 2ND ANNUAL CAR SHOW

http://socialarchite...4?layout=single

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.