Welcome to the Apparelyzed Spinal Cord Injury and Cauda Equina Syndrome Support Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to Apparelyzed, an active and vibrant spinal cord injury and cauda equina syndrome support forum. Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of our spinal cord injury support community by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Talk to others in real time in the Chat Room
We look forward to welcoming you to our community and reading your contributions and questions.

Simon
Forum Administrator.

Photo
- - - - -

Catheter Won't Enter

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bbqsteve

bbqsteve

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:t12 complete

Posted 25 September 2009 - 02:09 PM

Lately I've had problems with cathing from my chair. When seated upright I can't always get the catheter to go in and it starts bending back on me I guess at the sphincter. I am forced to tilt way back to get it finally go in. I have no problem while laying down in bed stretched out. Is there something I am missing? Is the bladder bent, disallowing the catheter until I straighten it? Is this a common problem? Male, T12 complete, motorized chair with tilt,recline, etc. due to unrelated pain injury. Any help appreciated. Thanks, Steve

#2 edlee

edlee

Super Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,561 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:t-10 complete
  • Injury Date:11-18-2004

Posted 25 September 2009 - 09:05 PM

Nah, Steve,, trying while sitting up straight is,, while not impossible,, usually quite an effort. I've always "schooched" forward while cathing,, partly to get my pants and drawers in order,, and partly to "get a grip".
ed

#3 qbounce

qbounce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,339 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C7 Complete (so I'm told)

Posted 25 September 2009 - 09:55 PM

Steve,
Same here. Sitting a little foreward in the chair is the best way to get it in. Then, when it hits the sphincter, hold it down until it eventually goes in. At times I even take it out just a bit, once it hits the wall, then put it back again. For some reason the second pass opens the muscle.

I was told there is a bend into the bladder, so sitting takes a bit longer. Once you get the hang of it though, it's not such a big deal.
When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained. - Mark Twain

#4 Hell On Wheels 916

Hell On Wheels 916

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:c6/c7

Posted 26 September 2009 - 02:31 AM

they also make tapered tip coude caths it helps getting it in when its tough

#5 dangerousdave

dangerousdave

Advanced Member

• Closed Account
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,176 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:l2/l3

Posted 26 September 2009 - 11:59 AM

Just to confirm that yes sometimes they bend and you persavere.
Don't forget they have to be wet to slip, that bend is where your ... prostate is.
I use coated SIC. I know some use dry SIC and you have to lubricate them with a gel.
It's also advisable to inspect the end befor insurtion...damage can go unnoticed
I damage mine sometimes because I tend to bend and roll them, or they get bent and rolled just through roughly throwing things where it is. If that makes sence

#6 Karl187

Karl187

• Members
  • Pip
  • 124 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T12 Para

Posted 30 September 2009 - 11:33 AM

Lately I've had problems with cathing from my chair. When seated upright I can't always get the catheter to go in and it starts bending back on me I guess at the sphincter. I am forced to tilt way back to get it finally go in. I have no problem while laying down in bed stretched out. Is there something I am missing? Is the bladder bent, disallowing the catheter until I straighten it? Is this a common problem? Male, T12 complete, motorized chair with tilt,recline, etc. due to unrelated pain injury. Any help appreciated. Thanks, Steve

Your cath tip might also present a problem. I can't get the nelaton ones in at all so I use Tiemann tipped cath's which have a slight bend at the end that helps them open the spinchter. If it ever jams I just tilt my head back, take a few breaths and try again, usually works. You could also try coughing, I've heard that works.
THE ONLY EASY DAY WAS YESTERDAY.

Spinal Cord Injury & Cauda Equina Syndrome Support

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries and cauda equina syndrome to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.