#1 Captain Pike

Captain Pike

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5-comp, I think, 4/15/05

Posted 04 October 2009 - 07:04 PM

We have finally settled down in a new house, all my care has been provided by my wife for the past year. I have been using a Foley catheter up to a week or more at a time. She will take it out and straight cath me as needed for a few days (the weekend) until she has to go back to work, then I'm back on the Foley for a time. I can't catheterize myself yet, so this is the routine. We use 100% silicone catheters -- both Foley and the intermittent catheters used in straight cathing.

Once we are back on the Foley, within a couple of hours, my urine smells horrible like old, rotten rubber hoses, almost skunky sometimes. Once we are straight-cathing, the smell goes away, it's completely normal. When we take a Foley out, it never seems unduly rancid looking. Is the terrible smell, just because it is indwelling? Or could it have something to do with my bladder always being empty?

I have a terrible time getting used to retaining urine once the Foley is removed. At first, I have to be straight cathed every two to four hours, even if we get only 100 to 200 mL. I sense AD when I have to pee. I feel like I am going backwards. In the first couple of years after my injury, I would occasionally use a Foley catheter. I don't remember it ever smelling this bad. What's going on, any ideas?

#2 jass1

jass1

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 244 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T10 T11 T12

Posted 05 October 2009 - 07:36 AM

when ever i get the smell its always been UTI for me so get tested

#3 dangerousdave

dangerousdave

Advanced Member

• Closed Account
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,176 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:l2/l3

Posted 05 October 2009 - 11:41 AM

When I was on the foley system I found it was the bag that smelled. (Super Pubic)
The tube was changed about every 3 weeks. The bag was changed every 2nd day.
I also used a tap to stop the bladder from fully collapsing.

#4 Captain Pike

Captain Pike

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 11:46 AM

when ever i get the smell its always been UTI for me so get tested

I assumed a UTI was a likely cause for this when I first began to happen. The test results were negative, BACK THEN. Your suggestion is good, I should and will extract a sample and have it tested.

Thank you Jass1 for your response.

#5 Captain Pike

Captain Pike

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 11:56 AM

Now dangerous, you pose another interesting possibility. I'm not sure I understand the mechanics of a superpubic tube. I infer that they still use a catheter with a bulb on the tip which expands to hold it in place. My wife has been suspicious of the bag -- maybe you are right. There is also this green rubber tubing, on which a simple clamp valve is installed to facilitate emptying of the bag. This rubber hose, short as it is, might also be the culprit.

I am most interested in this "tap" you have mentioned. This is a valve too, right? What kind of a device is this? Where is it installed? In the large plastic tubing? I thought of having a simple pinch clamp on the catheter itself to do this very thing. In any case, it seems like it would be a good thing to allow my bladder to fill up somewhat.

Thank you Dave, for your help.

#6 dangerousdave

dangerousdave

Advanced Member

• Closed Account
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,176 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 04:57 PM

Hi Captain
After delving into my box of stuff I dn't use much anymore....
BARD FLIP FLO CATHETER VALVE......Ref BFF5
You attach it between your Foly and bag tube
Hope the info helps
DD

#7 dangerousdave

dangerousdave

Advanced Member

• Closed Account
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,176 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 05:02 PM

Sod it...forgot...
Don't forget that everything should be kept sterile and where possible....use once and throw away.
Trouble with pinch clamps and do it yourself clamps.....the word sterile gets forgotten.
Then it's another cource of anti-biotics.

#8 Captain Pike

Captain Pike

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 02:24 PM

Right, good thinking Dave. I imagine that pinching off the catheter might have a permanent effect on the flow through that small diameter opening that's already clogged with junk.
Bard, flip-flow catheter valve, OK. I am just about to make in order for some more stuff anyway. I will get some flip-flow valves.

Thanks again for your help.

Edited by Captain Pike, 06 October 2009 - 02:25 PM.

#9 dangerousdave

dangerousdave

Advanced Member

• Closed Account
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,176 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 04:16 PM

Don't forget to talk it through with your nurse or doctor.
It's good to keep the bladder expanding but it has a down side that you may want to consider dependig on how much hand grip you pocess.
With the urine flow turned off some sedement build up will accour in the foley tube creating a slight blockage..
I used to move this blockage by opening the valve and squeezing and releasing the tube to the bag.
This creates a wave effect in the urine in the tube that breaks down the blockage.
My bags used to have a crinkly thin wall and not a thick solid tube.
There is also a new post on bladder sedements which is interesting.

Edited by dangerousdave, 07 October 2009 - 04:18 PM.

#10 qbounce

qbounce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,340 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C7 Complete (so I'm told)

Posted 07 October 2009 - 05:20 PM

Hi Cap'n,
I can't help going a bit off topic here, but I'm not sure what the benefit is in going from an indwelling to a IC for 2 days a week?

My understanding about indwelling catheters is that, once it's taken out, the sphincter muscle can take on upwards of 3-4 days to close up. So, until then, it's just an open flow of urine constantly running through your urethra until that muscle tightens up. Maybe you can enlighten me on this issue.

And, glad your all moved in.

Edited by qbounce, 07 October 2009 - 05:20 PM.

When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained. - Mark Twain

#11 mrhoopermd

mrhoopermd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 05:32 PM

My sister has a sp and she had this problem and we traced it to a new vitamin she had started taking. Once she stopped that it was back to normal. We had a problem with the bag turning colors another time and traced it to a pill she was taking. It was turning the bag blue inside.

#12 Captain Pike

Captain Pike

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 08:18 PM

Hi Cap'n,
I can't help going a bit off topic here, but I'm not sure what the benefit is in going from an indwelling to a IC for 2 days a week?

My understanding about indwelling catheters is that, once it's taken out, the sphincter muscle can take on upwards of 3-4 days to close up. So, until then, it's just an open flow of urine constantly running through your urethra until that muscle tightens up. Maybe you can enlighten me on this issue.

And, glad your all moved in.

I am very fortunate that I never void urine on my own. I never have a leakage after the Foley is removed. I hate going around with a tube in me and a bag hanging. I just need to learn how to unzip my jeans. I'm sure I could cath myself if I could just get at it -- LOL. My wife hates to have me wearing sweat pants. I am fortunate also in that I can feel when my bladder is full, IF I go long enough (as you say) IC.

Going a couple of days IC is better than staying on a Foley all the time. At least I think.

Thanks for your help, bounce.

#13 CR_L1

CR_L1

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 657 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L1 L2 L5 S1 incomp

Posted 09 October 2009 - 10:55 AM

Hi Captain,

I am full time Foley user & had similar problem BAD SMELL when emptying leg bag.
After all the usual tests for UTI it turned out to be bacteria in the leg bag & the problem is more due to what foods I eat. If I eat rabbit food all the time very rarely get bad smell where as on my normal diet (yummy foods) I need to change my leg bag every three days, odour appears on day two.

CR
I am probably depriving a village of an idiot
I use to be indecisive but Im not so sure anymore

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.