Welcome to the Apparelyzed Spinal Cord Injury and Cauda Equina Syndrome Support Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to Apparelyzed, an active and vibrant spinal cord injury and cauda equina syndrome support forum. Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of our spinal cord injury support community by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Talk to others in real time in the Chat Room
We look forward to welcoming you to our community and reading your contributions and questions.

Simon
Forum Administrator.

Photo
- - - - -

Embarrassment Sucks! - Bladder Accidents

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 maisy1996

maisy1996

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 140 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5 - T2/3

Posted 14 December 2009 - 10:55 PM

mehh! well i just need to let it all out right now,i seriously do not think ive been this embarrassed in a long time!
as if having an "accident" in front of aload of my mums work friends wasnt bad enough,after coming back from the bathroom one of my mums friends were like " you decided to join us again, we thought you drowned in there", she thought it was rather funny,after seeing my face she did shut up but still,it was enough to embarrass the hell out of me,and in front of another 4 people. whats it bloddy got to do with her how long i was?!?! its none of her buissness and i cant exactly help it-just becuase she takes all of 10 seconds. is there like an allocated time that im allowed to spend in the bathroom now before it becomes a joke!?! i know she ment nothing by it but i did get a bit upset about it. sorry to moan at christmas time haha but i was angry,upset and embarrassed all at the same time grr!
I am not who i was nor am i who i will become.

#2 ptmm92

ptmm92

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:t3

Posted 14 December 2009 - 10:59 PM

arghh that sucks let the assholes be assholes! tell them to mind their own bussiness!!! and looks like you need this :hug: UGH people that makes comments like those piss me off

#3 Dovepetal+Oskar

Dovepetal+Oskar

• Closed Account
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 11:13 PM

mehh! well i just need to let it all out right now,i seriously do not think ive been this embarrassed in a long time!
as if having an "accident" in front of aload of my mums work friends wasnt bad enough,after coming back from the bathroom one of my mums friends were like " you decided to join us again, we thought you drowned in there", she thought it was rather funny,after seeing my face she did shut up but still,it was enough to embarrass the hell out of me,and in front of another 4 people. whats it bloddy got to do with her how long i was?!?! its none of her buissness and i cant exactly help it-just becuase she takes all of 10 seconds. is there like an allocated time that im allowed to spend in the bathroom now before it becomes a joke!?! i know she ment nothing by it but i did get a bit upset about it. sorry to moan at christmas time haha but i was angry,upset and embarrassed all at the same time grr!

Hi Maisy, I'm sorry to hear about you were angry and upset today.
That lady probably didn't realize that she was rude at the time, but obviously you've made her realize by giving her an evil eye (I guess?), and I'm sure she was embarrassed too for saying that in the first place. Surely she is not going to say it ever again :)
Also, believe me baby, if somebody would say that to me I would be really embarrassed too. I hope this will make you feel better.
With love and sparkles xxx

#4 Tinbasher

Tinbasher

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,523 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T12 (incomplete)
  • Injury Date:22-12-1985

Posted 14 December 2009 - 11:16 PM

How insensitive!

I guess the options are to put her on the spot and say something like "Do you know what I have to go through just to pee!" or ask your mom to have a quiet word with her.

Tin
GRAVITY. I fought the law and the law won!

#5 maisy1996

maisy1996

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 140 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 11:19 PM

How insensitive!

I guess the options are to put her on the spot and say something like "Do you know what I have to go through just to pee!" or ask your mom to have a quiet word with her.

Tin

yes im definently gonna ask my mum just to let her know how i felt about what she said for fututre embarrassing times to come. : )

#6 maisy1996

maisy1996

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 140 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 11:47 PM

Hi Maisy, I'm sorry to hear about you were angry and upset today.
That lady probably didn't realize that she was rude at the time, but obviously you've made her realize by giving her an evil eye (I guess?), and I'm sure she was embarrassed too for saying that in the first place. Surely she is not going to say it ever again :)
Also, believe me baby, if somebody would say that to me I would be really embarrassed too. I hope this will make you feel better.
With love and sparkles xxx

yes i bet she was embarrassed too and hopefully wont happen again,thanks i just needed to let off some steam : )

#7 maisy1996

maisy1996

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 140 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 04:02 PM

arghh that sucks let the assholes be assholes! tell them to mind their own bussiness!!! and looks like you need this :) UGH people that makes comments like those piss me off

yeah i did try to let it just go straight over my head.

#8 Tetracyclone

Tetracyclone

Super Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,990 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C-5-7 incomplete
  • Injury Date:27-05-2008

Posted 15 December 2009 - 04:18 PM

Maisy.

I myself have made profoundly stupid comments in the course of a long life. Now I'm continually reminded to think before speaking. Its a condition called loose lips. I never meant harm, but rather to amuse, but it seems I only amuse myself. Now when others even comment on "my condition" I feel humiliated. Must be justice.

Keep smiling. Smart humans are a bit rare, and grown ups have not necessarily learned much in life.

#9 guido

guido

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,220 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L1
  • Injury Date:13-08-2003

Posted 15 December 2009 - 05:00 PM

Hey Maisy

How about this for irony:

Without an SCI, guys (and okay maybe I've always had a twisted group of friends) have always found the "follow-through" stories soooo funny and we ALL had them (dammit, i had TWO!) and whenever the conversation came up in the pub, we all howled with laughter and couldn't wait to tell our own.

After SCI it's like a curse, and never funny at the time. But a best mucker and I still have one story that makes us laugh every time we tell it - even though I'm the butt of the joke.

Good to vent. We all got those stories!

Just a quick thought: when people :) you off with a dumb comment, take a split second to ask the question:
"Is this person a twat? Or is this person on my side but just got it wrong?" (okay GB, you're right, that was TWO questions)

If they're a twat, cut them out, but if they're someone who could be an ally, you can warn them off more gently so they'll be more careful next time, but not so worried to get it wrong that they won't help you in the future when you might need it.

for UK residents - DisabledGear.com - the FREE-Ads website for 2nd hand disability equipment.

#10 mcferguson

mcferguson

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 925 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T5/6 Complete
  • Injury Date:30-11-2008

Posted 15 December 2009 - 06:03 PM

I'm sorry this lady upset you.

I've got a little different take here...

When I was AB I would make those kind of lighthearted comments ("Thought you fell in", "We were about to send in the search and rescue team" :) , etc) and I still do. I am sure she meant nothing by it. Next time you could say something like, "I nearly did, good thing those hand rails are there!" :)

We need to be able to laugh at ourselves. :lol:
Future SCI Alumnus. Victory over the storm - Mark 4.39.
Ferguson Clan Motto: Dulcius Ex Asperis (Sweeter after difficulties)

#11 Avocado Baby

Avocado Baby

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 629 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T8(ish) Spina Bifida

Posted 15 December 2009 - 06:06 PM

Yeah-it gets me too sometimes when people make comments like that, although they don't mean to offend. It depends what kind of mood I'm in but sometimes I do want to yell and say something about how difficult it can be sometimes.
Paraplegic with Spina Bifida. Sensory and function level is T8. T11-L5 fusion 1993. Laminectomy and decompression T10 2006. Spinal fusion T8-T12 with instrumentation Feb 2007. Moderate kyphoscoliosis. Taking 75mg Lyrica 3xday for neuropathic pain.

#12 LeahC

LeahC

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 735 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T12 Complete

Posted 15 December 2009 - 06:09 PM

I nthink you took it a bit too seriously, what a grouch!

#13 Apparelyzed

Apparelyzed

The Boss!

• **Admin
  • 4,792 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5/6 Anterior Cord
  • Injury Date:02-01-1992

Posted 15 December 2009 - 06:19 PM

Ahh, if this was a bloke, we'd use the old "oops, there goes my pint" trick!

Do you like pints? :)

Simon :)

Posted Image   Posted Image
Follow the Apparelyzed Forum on our Facebook and Twitter feeds.

#14 maisy1996

maisy1996

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 140 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 06:24 PM

well when im old enough to drink i will let you know haha :)

#15 maisy1996

maisy1996

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 140 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 06:32 PM

I nthink you took it a bit too seriously, what a grouch!

im hardly ever a grouch about things actually. i'll admit it,i can be when it comes to things like this-its not the best of experinces now is it. and i know she didnt mean it seriously- ok maybe i reacted a bit childsh,maybe a didnt. but what hell nevermind.

I'm sorry this lady upset you.

I've got a little different take here...

When I was AB I would make those kind of lighthearted comments ("Thought you fell in", "We were about to send in the search and rescue team" :) , etc) and I still do. I am sure she meant nothing by it. Next time you could say something like, "I nearly did, good thing those hand rails are there!" :)

We need to be able to laugh at ourselves. :)

haha. maybe i will use that one in future.

#16 Jax

Jax

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 477 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T12-L1 Complete

Posted 15 December 2009 - 08:30 PM

I'd have just embarrassed her back! Say something like "You try using the toilet without using your legs!"

#17 Tinbasher

Tinbasher

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 08:33 PM

First time out with freinds after rehab my darling wife tipped a glass of wine in my lap as she saw a dark patch appear on my chinos! Quick thinking to save my feelings and she got the stick for being clumsy.

Tin

#18 maisy1996

maisy1996

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 140 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 08:43 PM

First time out with freinds after rehab my darling wife tipped a glass of wine in my lap as she saw a dark patch appear on my chinos! Quick thinking to save my feelings and she got the stick for being clumsy.

Tin

quick thinking on her part. what a cluts for spilling her wine ;) haha

#19 Tinbasher

Tinbasher

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 09:27 PM

I just thought of a reply Maisey :)

"What kept you so long in there!"

"I was cleaning up after you!!"

#20 maisy1996

maisy1996

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 140 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 09:34 PM

I just thought of a reply Maisey :)

"What kept you so long in there!"

"I was cleaning up after you!!"

hahahagood one tin :)

#21 LeahC

LeahC

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 735 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T12 Complete

Posted 15 December 2009 - 10:10 PM

Haha I love that one :-D

Spinal Cord Injury & Cauda Equina Syndrome Support

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries and cauda equina syndrome to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.