Welcome to the Apparelyzed Spinal Cord Injury and Cauda Equina Syndrome Support Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to Apparelyzed, an active and vibrant spinal cord injury and cauda equina syndrome support forum. Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of our spinal cord injury support community by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Talk to others in real time in the Chat Room
We look forward to welcoming you to our community and reading your contributions and questions.

Simon
Forum Administrator.

Photo
- - - - -

Digital Stimulation And Bowel Care

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Trevor from West Cork

Trevor from West Cork

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T456 T12 C56

Posted 19 January 2010 - 12:17 PM

I am a paraplegic T5-6-7 of 4years and require digital stimulation on a bidaily basis, due to my short arms and long body it is imposible for me to self stimulate so I require a nurse to carry it out on my bed which usually takes 2 hours with 2 mini enemas. I do have a hand held device supplied by the Rehab but have been told not to use it. Can any one give me advice re my situation?

#2 In The Wind

In The Wind

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C-5/C-7 Incomplete

Posted 19 January 2010 - 04:27 PM

I am a paraplegic T5-6-7 of 4years and require digital stimulation on a bidaily basis, due to my short arms and long body it is imposible for me to self stimulate so I require a nurse to carry it out on my bed which usually takes 2 hours with 2 mini enemas. I do have a hand held device supplied by the Rehab but have been told not to use it. Can any one give me advice re my situation?

Isn't SCI fun? Just look at all the neat shit we get to do...( :censored: ), and the conversations we get to have, yay!

Just a few things. First, is your stool "normal", ya know decent turds, no to hard, not to soft and all of that.
I've found that keeping things "normal" eases and speeds my routine GREATLY. A good diet, and since I take pain meds I take just a tiny bit of miralax every night.

I dunno why your rehab would tell you not to use a digi tool if you can't reach unless they are concerned that you might hurt yourself. Do you have any sensation in that area?

You might try a different enema product. I find that the enemeeze work great for me. Most vendors will send you samples to try, so you might take advantage of that and see if a different product helps.

Try a couple of different postures sitting up in your shower chair to see if you can find one that will let you reach that area. I've got the seat on my shower chair rotated so that the cutout is on the left side. That lets me reach around, butt (pun intended) if I'm not sitting right I can't reach it either.

I normally give myself an hour butt (yea yea) to be honest I can have it done in 30 minutes. The only problem that I've had is that if I don't have a movement that removes the enemeeze I'll have a mucous discharge as soon as I bend over to get my chair out of the truck. So I give myself extra time and go ahead and digi stim again in the shower to try and get that stuff outta me. Nothing sucks worse than getting to work and going to get out of the truck and farting out a mess of that nasty ass-mucous... :)

Edited by In The Wind, 19 January 2010 - 04:28 PM.

#3 oldwheelz

oldwheelz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 125 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:t10 complete

Posted 19 January 2010 - 05:04 PM

Aren't those short arms great. Never thought that mine were so short till they had all these extra jobs. I have my seat a quarter turn to the right. Hang on to the left armrest and stretch for all I'm worth. I am very lucky as I need no suppositories or meds. Just reach under and go. Takes less time than when I was AB. Never had a uti or used any medication.

#4 E-DOG

E-DOG

Intermediate Member

• Closed Account
  • PipPip
  • 1,768 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T-4 T-5 incomplete

Posted 20 January 2010 - 04:06 AM

Isn't SCI fun? Just look at all the neat shit we get to do...( :) ), and the conversations we get to have, yay!

You might try a different enema product. I find that the enemeeze work great for me. Most vendors will send you samples to try, so you might take advantage of that and see if a different product helps.
Nothing sucks worse than getting to work and going to get out of the truck and farting out a mess of that nasty ass-mucous... :wub:

Trevor, you need to find a cuter care giver. One with thin fingers, who'll give you a lil' kiss when she's done.

Windy, I like to save my ass mucous. I put in into gallon jugs, got it stashed all over the house, just in case. :drool:

Nothin' more fun than a SCI. Bowel care is soooooo cooool!

E
when it absolutely, positively, has to be destroyed overnight, call the Marines.

I will nevah, EVAH take a pinch from a greasy muddahf*@kah like you!

How 'bout if I spell it out for ya. D-I-L-L-I-G-A-F

#5 steviek

steviek

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T6

Posted 22 January 2010 - 09:10 PM

Squirting water up your bum imho gives you the best clear out.

#6 edlee

edlee

Super Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,625 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:t-10 complete
  • Injury Date:11-18-2004

Posted 22 January 2010 - 09:38 PM

I gotta agree with stevie,,, water up the poop chute works wonders.

As for the short arms,,, well,, it's really more about flexibility than length. Takes time to get your body in shape for it, but I'm on the fat side and I can reach right handed,,,, can't get there left handed, tho. Hope I never break my right arm.

I have used enemeze with the same good results and the same bad one ,too. Price you pay, I guess.

The chair does help,,, I can't reach IT in bed, either,,, When sitting in the chair, I guess gravity helps with the bending. Helps with the movement, too.

You might want to look into the peristeen system. It can let you go a couple days between sessions,,, sometimes more. Coloplast makes it, and you should be able to get it there. We can't get it in the states, yet.

Hang in there, mate.
ed

#7 greybeard

greybeard

Super Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,884 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L1-L5 incl - Stenosis
  • Injury Date:21-03-2001

Posted 22 January 2010 - 10:37 PM

Hi Ed, Short arms really don't help. Although I don't have to do a bowel routine, I still have to reach it!

I too have a long fat body and very short arms. Like you I could just about manage with my right arm only - and then tore a tendon in that shoulder. Stuffed!!!!!

"Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day;  Rage, rage against the dying of the light" 

[Dylan Thomas]

#8 BigBizzle

BigBizzle

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T-4 complete

Posted 23 January 2010 - 12:41 AM

I am a T-4 complete and just bought a suppository insertion tool. I'm having trouble using it due to the fact that I can not feel (so how do I know if I'm inserting it???) does anyone have any tips for sucessfully using this?.
Thanks

Spinal Cord Injury & Cauda Equina Syndrome Support

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries and cauda equina syndrome to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.