Welcome to the Apparelyzed Spinal Cord Injury and Cauda Equina Syndrome Support Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to Apparelyzed, an active and vibrant spinal cord injury and cauda equina syndrome support forum. Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of our spinal cord injury support community by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Talk to others in real time in the Chat Room
We look forward to welcoming you to our community and reading your contributions and questions.

Simon
Forum Administrator.

Photo
- - - - -

Assisted Living And Government Help

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Kristal

Kristal

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:c5/blind/friend

Posted 29 January 2010 - 09:09 PM

Hello Everyone!

I am new to your forum. I joined in search to help a friend that no one seems to want to help. He was in a car accident when he was 24 that almost completely paralyzed (C5?)and blinded him. He has now been placed in a rest home for over 10 years. He dosen't get physical therapy and ability to use his hands has disappeared. His body is degenerating. Is there somewhere he could lived trained to assist him with his dual disabilities? Is there government help? Is there funding or programs I don't know about? It seems like all the facilities are only for the elderly..We live in NC btw.
Can anyone point me in a direction?
Thank you!
Kristal

#2 Inger

Inger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:fiance is C5 quad

Posted 30 January 2010 - 05:23 AM

In your state, you can start by going to the Dept. of Health and Human Services -- their link and phone # is below. There, your friend can work with a caseworker to determine his eligibility for state assistance in order to get into an assisted living facility. Income guidelines vary from state to state, but generally, medicaid recipients have to have annual incomes that are around 30% or so below the poverty level in order to qualify. If he qualifies, his caseworker should be able to recommend some ALF's for you to visit that are accepting medicaid clients.

Here in Oregon, most privately owned ALF's have contracts with the state that require them to accept a percentage of medicaid clients in their buildings. If he is able to find a suitable living situation, his MD can order PT, OT or other home-health services that he can receive right where he is living. If he is currently in a nursing or "rest" home (?), his MD will have to OK his move to an ALF. In most cases, ALF's do not have 24-hr skilled nursing care. Generally they will have an RN physically present in the building part-time (he or she will often also work limited on-call to respond to emergent situations), but most of the direct care is provided by aides or CNA's. Again, I am most familiar with Oregon's rules and regs in this area -- your state might be completely different. In any case, his physician can certainly determine if an ALF is a safe, suitable place for him to receive the care he needs.

Since I'm on the other side of the country, I can't say for sure that this info will be super useful to you and your friend, but hopefully it will give you a start. Good luck to you both!

http://www.dhhs.stat...ntact/index.htm

or by calling (800) 662-7030

#3 Kristal

Kristal

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:c5/blind/friend

Posted 30 January 2010 - 11:18 PM

Thank you so so much!!!!

#4 Inger

Inger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:fiance is C5 quad

Posted 31 January 2010 - 07:43 AM

You bet! I hope that you are able to help your friend find a way to receive the kind of care that will help him stay well B)

#5 Stickman

Stickman

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:Spinal cord tumor T8-T10
  • Injury Date:25-08-2006

Posted 01 February 2010 - 05:18 AM

Good luck Kristal!

Spinal Cord Injury & Cauda Equina Syndrome Support

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries and cauda equina syndrome to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.