Welcome to the Apparelyzed Spinal Cord Injury and Cauda Equina Syndrome Support Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to Apparelyzed, an active and vibrant spinal cord injury and cauda equina syndrome support forum. Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of our spinal cord injury support community by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Talk to others in real time in the Chat Room
We look forward to welcoming you to our community and reading your contributions and questions.

Simon
Forum Administrator.

- - - - -

Steroids For Weight Gain

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 *coxie923*

*coxie923*
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2010 - 09:15 AM

Hi All, I'm been a c5-c6 quad for 11 years now and I have always had a problem with weight gain. Before my injury I was 6'5" and weighed about 75 kg or about 165 pounds, I never had a ounce of fat and even when I worked out at the gym I would hardly notice any difference. My current weight would be about 45 kg or 99 pounds. I have been seeing a dietitian for a while now and she gets me to eat 6 small meals a day that are high in fibre and I take a multivitamin and a B1 vitamin. Compared to other weight gain diets I have been on this one works.(very slowly but there has been a small weight gain) My Doctor wants to put me on steroids for weight gain and I was wondering if anyone has the same problem with there weight and has anyone tried steroids for weight gain? Thanks Paul

#2 Trinity

Trinity

2nd in Command!

• Moderators
  • 5,041 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T8 complete

Posted 30 January 2010 - 10:57 AM

Hi All, I'm been a c5-c6 quad for 11 years now and I have always had a problem with weight gain. Before my injury I was 6'5" and weighed about 75 kg or about 165 pounds, I never had a ounce of fat and even when I worked out at the gym I would hardly notice any difference. My current weight would be about 45 kg or 99 pounds. I have been seeing a dietitian for a while now and she gets me to eat 6 small meals a day that are high in fibre and I take a multivitamin and a B1 vitamin. Compared to other weight gain diets I have been on this one works.(very slowly but there has been a small weight gain) My Doctor wants to put me on steroids for weight gain and I was wondering if anyone has the same problem with there weight and has anyone tried steroids for weight gain? Thanks Paul

Steroids can really increase the appetite and in turn make you put on weight. My friend was put on a drug a few yrs ago called olanzapine to help her gain weight, she had a really tough time eating enough to maintain her weight as she didn't absorb the calories properly. She put on 10kg very quickly, she was about 35kgs to start with. her hunger was almost insatiable and she would eat anything in site!

Memento Vivere
Memento Mori

#3 *Tortfeasors*

*Tortfeasors*
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2010 - 01:13 PM

just avoid anabolic steroids!
and even with the prescribed ones, there are risks including diabetes.

how about Megace?
it's a progesterone supplement, not technically a steroid. stimulates the appetite but I don't think comes with the diabetes risk. once you get diabetes, you will have worse problems with skin integrity and healing from breakdown and sores. get a 2nd opinion. whenever i haven't, i've ended up with malpractice i should have sued for but haven't had the energy to... :mfromg:

#4 *coxie923*

*coxie923*
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2010 - 06:11 AM

Thanks but I don't have a problem with my appitite. I get eat and eat but the more I eat all that seems to happen is my poo gets bigger but I don't.

#5 JimG

JimG

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T6T7, L5/S1 incomplete

Posted 16 February 2010 - 12:34 AM

I have done 2 cycles, and about to do a 3rd next month of the anabolic steroid Oxandrolone, which is often used for AIDs patients and burn victims for muscle wasting.

It's an oral, milder form of AAS's, that's easier on the liver than many steroids out there, though you combine it with testosterone supplementation be it oral, patch, or injection.

The testosterone is like the gasoline for the engine and increases the effectiveness of the steroid.

You do need to know what you're doing, b/c while it may be "safer".....it does have side effects, though those can be minimized if you know what you're doing.

I'm 5'11" and weigh 158 lbs. or so off of them.....175 lbs., or so when on them, and have increased strength and function when on them, and are a part of my physical therapy regimen, administered by my MD.
Adversity doesn't build character.....it reveals it.

#6 Lucky

Lucky

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 387 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C-5 incomplete. Walking.

Posted 25 July 2010 - 11:56 PM

Yeah, I had steriods.... not for weight gain but I did nothing but eat.

I mean eat, eat, eat and more scranning.

Prednislone worked for me!

C-5 Incomplete, Diving Accident in Mexico. Walking with crutches, In controlled pain !
Big respect to all SCI people !

Spinal Cord Injury & Cauda Equina Syndrome Support

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries and cauda equina syndrome to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.