Welcome to the Apparelyzed Spinal Cord Injury and Cauda Equina Syndrome Support Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to Apparelyzed, an active and vibrant spinal cord injury and cauda equina syndrome support forum. Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of our spinal cord injury support community by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Talk to others in real time in the Chat Room
We look forward to welcoming you to our community and reading your contributions and questions.

Simon
Forum Administrator.

Photo
- - - - -

No Bowel Movement In Four Days

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 briley05

briley05

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:c 5/6
  • Injury Date:07-15-2005

Posted 14 February 2010 - 01:26 AM

I take 5mg bisocoidyl every night and 2 fiberlax per day and it's been four days since my last bm. Is there something else I should try before going to the ER? How long should I wait before going to the ER? Thanks

#2 jared84

jared84

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:t9

Posted 14 February 2010 - 01:34 AM

I take 5mg bisocoidyl every night and 2 fiberlax per day and it's been four days since my last bm. Is there something else I should try before going to the ER? How long should I wait before going to the ER? Thanks

do you do digital stimulation?

#3 briley05

briley05

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 02:36 AM

do you do digital stimulation?

yeah sorry, like 3-4 times and I also use a bisac-evac suppository every morning. Even when I do go it takes 3hrs

#4 qbounce

qbounce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,339 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C7 Complete (so I'm told)

Posted 14 February 2010 - 02:58 AM

Hey Briley, sorry I can't help you with your current dilemma, but if you don't mind I'd like to give you some pointers on cutting down your BP time in half, and then in half AGAIN!

First, have you considered going every other day? It's nice giving yourself a break in between days, saving half the time right there.

Next, I used to take 3-3 1/2 hours each time I did my BP also, until I switched from the Magic Bullet to ENEMEEZ. Now I'm done within an hour-hour & fifteen minutes max! Life is so much better when you aren't sitting on that commode chair so much every day!

Good luck with this constipation deal.
When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained. - Mark Twain

#5 briley05

briley05

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 03:55 AM

Hey Briley, sorry I can't help you with your current dilemma, but if you don't mind I'd like to give you some pointers on cutting down your BP time in half, and then in half AGAIN!

First, have you considered going every other day? It's nice giving yourself a break in between days, saving half the time right there.

Next, I used to take 3-3 1/2 hours each time I did my BP also, until I switched from the Magic Bullet to ENEMEEZ. Now I'm done within an hour-hour & fifteen minutes max! Life is so much better when you aren't sitting on that commode chair so much every day!

Thanks for the advise. I've been thinking about doing it every other day, just worried about accidents. I have tried enemeez, they worked good in rehab but when I first got home my pharmacy said they couldn't get them. When I finally did get them I tried them a few tmes and they didn't seem to work much. maybe I didn't give them a chance b/c I only used them a few times? What do you use for stool softeners?

#6 Doug

Doug

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5

Posted 14 February 2010 - 02:17 PM

I reccomend some good old prune juice it works wonders. Get smart prune it taist much better then plain.

#7 SCOTIE

SCOTIE

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C4

Posted 14 February 2010 - 04:36 PM

what is your diet like?

are you eating enough fruit, veg. etc , bran/fibre but remembering to drink enough water

Doug is right try eating spinnich, prune juice, strong coffee, rubbarb , not at the same time !

#8 airart1

airart1

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,452 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:t-12
  • Injury Date:29-04-1990

Posted 14 February 2010 - 06:32 PM

try miralax, good stuff...........u can get regular if u figure out the formula........take a little everyday.....

#9 Canoi

Canoi

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:Carer

Posted 14 February 2010 - 06:58 PM

Hi Briley,

I think you should consider trying Movicol. It comes in individual sachets in powder form which should be dissolved in approximtely half cup of water before taking. It is one of the main remedies used to combat constipation at the hospital where i work and this is mainly becuse it gives results. It can also be taken in conjunction with your regular aperients and routine until the problem is resolved.

I am unsure whether you would need to obtain a prescription in order to get this from the pharmacy so you would have to check with your doctor. And lastly i should mention that while i've seen it work many times, i have also heard countless complaints from patients about the taste of the solution. To be fair its not that bad, (i've even tried it myself in countless bids to encourage patients) and in my opinion it tastes a bit like lemonade, that is a little salty (sort of like a sports drink?). I would suggest that you can add some juice to alter the taste to your liking if you think its bad too. I'm sure Movicol also comes in a chocolate flavour but we don't get that type on our wards so i have no feedback concerning the taste of that particular type.

And of course remember to try and eat plenty of fibre and have lots of water too.

Lots of Luck ............. Take care.

#10 qbounce

qbounce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,339 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C7 Complete (so I'm told)

Posted 14 February 2010 - 09:29 PM

Thanks for the advise. I've been thinking about doing it every other day, just worried about accidents. I have tried enemeez, they worked good in rehab but when I first got home my pharmacy said they couldn't get them. When I finally did get them I tried them a few tmes and they didn't seem to work much. maybe I didn't give them a chance b/c I only used them a few times? What do you use for stool softeners?

Take others suggestions for stool softeners, 'cuz I don't use anything. I was having to many accidents when I was still in the hospitals rehab and taking 2 different softeners. They cut one out and I continued having bowel accidents. Then they cut the second softener, and . . . lo and behold, no more accidents.

I do recommend just eating salad greens, green beans, other veggies and fruits along with your every day meals. Keep it balanced. Are you ok now??
When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained. - Mark Twain

#11 briley05

briley05

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 10:13 PM

Thanks all for the tips, Finally after 5 days I'm good. It had to come out. That much :D should never come out at one time. I have a bad uti and the antibiotics caused my problem. I like fruits n feggies although I probably don't eat enough of them. I will now though. Now I have to worry about these antibiotics giving me c-diff and things going the other way. I eat yogurt and take acidophilos, any other suggestions? Thanks all

#12 Tetracyclone

Tetracyclone

Super Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,988 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C-5-7 incomplete
  • Injury Date:27-05-2008

Posted 15 February 2010 - 12:12 AM

Thanks all for the tips, Finally after 5 days I'm good. It had to come out. That much :lol: should never come out at one time. I have a bad uti and the antibiotics caused my problem. I like fruits n feggies although I probably don't eat enough of them. I will now though. Now I have to worry about these antibiotics giving me c-diff and things going the other way. I eat yogurt and take acidophilos, any other suggestions? Thanks all

Do some reading of older bladder and bowel threads here. All the tips are in there. Good luck, cuz antibiotics will destroy intestinal balance every time.

#13 airart1

airart1

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 12:50 AM

keep eating your yogurt...............

#14 LuckyinKentucky

LuckyinKentucky

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 521 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T-12

Posted 17 February 2010 - 06:19 AM

after going to my local hospital once for that I promised myself I never would again... If I have problems I drink a glass of citrucell clear every 4 or 6 hours untill results come. you get a bit bloated but it'll push it through. The earlier you start this the less it takes.

#15 guido

guido

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,220 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L1
  • Injury Date:13-08-2003

Posted 17 February 2010 - 08:39 AM

keep eating your yogurt...............

Yes, the pro-biotic stuff... rather than the Muller Corners!
for UK residents - DisabledGear.com - the FREE-Ads website for 2nd hand disability equipment.

#16 saradise

saradise

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:c2-c7

Posted 21 February 2010 - 10:00 PM

Try Magnesium Citrate...you can get it at any drug store or Wal-Mart. It is a one time thing unless doctor tells you otherwise. Drink it and in 1/2 - 6 hours, you will be flushed out. My husband also drinks miralax everyday, which seems to work best out of other laxatives.

#17 Darth JsinHarm

Darth JsinHarm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T6-T7 / Complete

Posted 18 May 2010 - 04:28 AM

Have you tried any of the Kashi cereals or multi-grain bars? I don't use any stool softeners and don't have the best diet in the world but their products work well for me. I usually eat 1-2 of the bars everyday I'm at work. I've cut down to one recently because thongs were a little too soft and made my program messier and more difficult. The cereals are good but a warning, stick to the suggested serving size! I was thinking it was like other cereals and I could eat a really large bowl or 2 smaller bowls and it was making me go every day uncontrolled. Try that. They are a little more expensive than the garbage sold by Kellogg's and Nestle but they help me a lot and are actually pretty tasty

#18 razzo082

razzo082

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5-C6 Incomplete

Posted 19 September 2010 - 02:46 PM

i know this is late but if u ever have any problems with not going 2 the toilet take herb-a-lax and mix it with orange juice, i guarantee it will work, i used 2 get constipated for up to 2 weeks b4 i used herb-a-lax

#19 airart1

airart1

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 03:28 PM

push come to shove, grab a bottle of magnesium, its in a green bottle, u'll come unstopped guaranteed...........it also depends on how much u put in to, if u eat small portions, u want go hardly any..........

#20 mellowgator

mellowgator

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,871 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C 6/7

Posted 19 September 2010 - 03:53 PM

i am a tried and true believer in enemeez. i really hate the whole bowel routine so i only go every 2nd or 3rd day. i realize what goes in must come out so i'm a light eater. i find my much easier when i have formed stool so i don't take softners. my routine is easy i transfer into my shower chair and remove any stool i can reach then i add the enemeeze and then i take my shower and wash my hair and then return to the toilet to finish. i redilly usually the rest of the stool comes down with the ampule. that's usually it for the routine. i then finish brushing my hair and teeth and then before i transfer i check one last time to see if anything else comes down. usually it doesn't but i always double check just in case.

my bowel program usually takes 15 minutes tops. all of us are different. but i am often amazed at how much time and effort goes into a bowel program.

hope this helps,

mellowgator
hi fellow gimps! i'm a c 6/7 quad and have been injured since 1986. i was in a roll over hydroplane accident and it took hours for the paramedics to get me out of the car in the pouring rain. that definately wasn't my day. but alas life goes on!

#21 TjTheQuad

TjTheQuad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C6|Complete

Posted 20 September 2010 - 12:30 PM

Sounds like your going to need more fibre intakes in your diet, i suggest also sleeping/or postinioning on the left side before going on the camdoe as the bowels work better that way. Hope i helped :blushing02:
'Live and Forget'

#22 airart1

airart1

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 04:27 PM

yeah those Enemeez are great, i just kind a do as i need everyday basically like i use to normal, 4 days really is not that long of a time unless u've really loaded it in! and sometimes it takes like an enemeez to get it to come down......routine sure is the trick for sure, you kinda have to let your bowels work to a routine, it will be much better, and mellow it amazes me too how long some of the time some of those spend doing there bowel routine......i'm usually done pretty quick too.........and rarely ever have any accidents, it is rare unless i got a bug of some sort....

#23 dee money

dee money

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T9-T10 incomplete

Posted 27 January 2011 - 10:06 PM

PRUNES! I used to have a bm only once or twice a week. I tried eating prunes, I have a bm every time I eat them.
Why tiptoe through life to arrive safely at death?

#24 rue2you

rue2you

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,337 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T10 Paraplegic Incomplete

Posted 28 January 2011 - 05:51 AM

I agree with the prunes. I eat about 5 or 6 of them every other night and I have consistently had a bowel movement the next morning. No cramping or anything. It has been my greatest discovery!!:)
"We cannot choose the road we are asked to travel, but we can choose to enjoy the ride!"
www.aliciareagan.com

#25 lissalyon

lissalyon

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:t10
  • Injury Date:02-06-1975

Posted 10 February 2011 - 09:55 PM

I agree with the prunes. I eat about 5 or 6 of them every other night and I have consistently had a bowel movement the next morning. No cramping or anything. It has been my greatest discovery!!:)

dried figs are good too-two is usually enough

#26 wheeler40

wheeler40

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C-5-6 Incomplete

Posted 14 February 2011 - 03:45 AM

This might sound a little off but the best thing that works for me is Busch Light beer! lol. I have tried most all bowel drugs and procedures that there is and nothing works as good as Busch Light! After a few days without a movement, I enjoy a few Busch Light's (usually 6-8 does the job) at night and just like clockwork, I have a movement the next morning. I don't know why but Busch Light is the only beer that works. I usually drink Miller Lite but it just doesn't work the same! :drunk:

#27 Rimless

Rimless

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C4, 5, 6 Incomplete

Posted 17 February 2011 - 10:37 PM

Hi,
On the whole bm topic. Have been SCI now for 40yrs and finding the whole bowel thing getting harder to achieve good results in a reasonable time.Have been told that after this period of SCI a colostmy would not be unusual. Love to hear ideas / suggestions or experience of others Thanks Jude

#28 airart1

airart1

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 02:38 AM

I'd have to try every remedy in the whole spectrum of things before i could let them cut on me for something i can still have, even if its a little inconvenience.........i don't your disposition with the problem, but there is alot of different directions u can go before drastic surgery.......go see a gastrologist, and then see another just for good measure.........before doing something you'd regret.....i know able body's that have regretted it........

#29 Rimless

Rimless

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C4, 5, 6 Incomplete

Posted 18 February 2011 - 02:59 AM

I'd have to try every remedy in the whole spectrum of things before i could let them cut on me for something i can still have, even if its a little inconvenience.........i don't your disposition with the problem, but there is alot of different directions u can go before drastic surgery.......go see a gastrologist, and then see another just for good measure.........before doing something you'd regret.....i know able body's that have regretted it........

Thankyou - really been concerned obout what to do but dont want coloctomy unless there is absolutely no other answers

#30 airart1

airart1

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 09:36 AM

don't blame u, me either, i use miralax and found the sweet spot as far as quantity and do very well with just the right softness and go almost normal now, where i fought hard stool for years, after hemmeroid surgery the dr gave me it to keep stool soft so as not to damage my surgery, it was a wonderful thing.....with no harsh chemical side affects as collace/stool softners....

Spinal Cord Injury & Cauda Equina Syndrome Support

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries and cauda equina syndrome to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.