Welcome to the Apparelyzed Spinal Cord Injury and Cauda Equina Syndrome Support Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to Apparelyzed, an active and vibrant spinal cord injury and cauda equina syndrome support forum. Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of our spinal cord injury support community by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Talk to others in real time in the Chat Room
We look forward to welcoming you to our community and reading your contributions and questions.

Simon
Forum Administrator.

- - - - -

Will I walk again?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 *TreTre*

*TreTre*
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2006 - 10:17 PM

I have a friend that was in a motorcycle accident in Jan. o6. He broke his T4, T5, T6 bones but no damage to the spinal cord. He also broke 5-6 of his ribs. He is paralyzed from the waist down right now. Will he be able to walk again?

#2 *wildweels*

*wildweels*
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2006 - 10:54 PM

I certainly hope so because it sure is hell being in a wheelchair for ever,all the best for them for the future

#3 AHolland

AHolland

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 331 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T3/T4/T5 complete severe

Posted 16 March 2006 - 12:17 AM

There is really too little to go on here for any assessment. Keep in mind that any person on this forum cannot give you a complete assessment as there is no way to know their condition. We are giving our best guess only.

A lot depends on the amount of damage to the spinal cord, not the damage to the bone. If the spinal cord has only pressure on it, then over time the person probably will regain a lot of their mobility and bodily control. It may take years to get fully healed and even then there will probably be some permanent problems.

If the spinal cord is damaged to some degree, but not fully cut, then it's anyone's guess. In most cases they will have some permanent damage, including walking/bowels/etc. However they may regain some control.....maybe some limited standing, but I stress, a lot of permanent damage dependant on the amount of damage to the spinal cord. If the spinal cord is completely severed then the person will almost certainly never walk again or gain complete control of their bodily functions.

You indicated that the person had the bones broken at T4/5/6. There is a real possibility that the person did at least a little damage to their spinal cord. You simply cannt break all those bones without doing some damage. His total loss of control at this level probably points to at least some pressure on the spinal cord. If the damage was limited to pressure points on the spinal cord, then there is a good chance that can be rectified and the person will walk again. Remember, this is only our best guess, however he may still have some problem issues.

At this point in time, there is no way for doctors to repair nerve damage. There is a ton of research in these areas being done and no one knows waht the future will bring. Hope is not completely lost for people like myself with completely severed spinal cords. However, it is likely that if any repair is to be had, that it will likely be at least 10 years out from here.

It's a monstor of a hill for the injuried person to climb. These forums are filled with the exact same person as this one. Have them come here for questions and answers as this helps fill in the void and at least improve the quality of life for many of us.

Good luck.
T4/T5

#4 *Gary*

*Gary*
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2006 - 08:31 AM

T4, T5, T6 bones but no damage to the spinal cord

TreTre

Like my previous posters I cannot say for definite. HOWEVER, like your friend, I have a mate in the US who has a jeep accident in Iraq - broke his neck at C5/C6 incomplete, with no damage to spinal cord only nerves.

This accident was in November 2004 and the guy has had operations, etc, and spent the whole of 2005 in a wheelchair. From a few days afer his neck operation, he began to feel his feet. The result is that now he is about to enter a rehab hospital to be given therapy to walk again. He has recovered movement/sensation up to the nipples. ALthough above that he has no feeling. However, it gives him enough to get walking with elbow crutches.

Naturally the guy is over the moon and the medics say it is because the damage to the cord did not result in severing or cutting - it was only spinal shock and crushing.

So, I shall hope and pray that your friend recovers in a similar fashion. It would be helpful to know whether or not he can sense/feel. Howver, at the end of the day. it is your luck with fate when you have your accident.

God bless you and your friend, keep posting and let us know how they get on.

#5 harleyrider11488

harleyrider11488

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:t6, bruise on cord

Posted 27 December 2010 - 12:22 PM

i had a motorcycle accident in july 09. i broke my t6 and only put a small bruise on my spinal cord. i am a t6 complete but i am getting strong pain and burning in my legs. i am starting to feel sensation deep in my groin and rectum areas. when my legs spasm i can feel pain in the muscles that are spasming. over the last 4 months this pain is getting stronger. also when i wake up they start burning real bad. after an hour or so the pain lessens. im starting to feel the sensation of needing to urinate. whew lol, thats where im at. can anyone give me there thoughts on my situation?? i cant get an answer from anyone but my spinal surgeon thinks i have a good chance. thank you brian 46 ohio

#6 Smileyblue

Smileyblue

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T8 complete

Posted 27 December 2010 - 03:04 PM

Sounds to me like you should no longer be classified as complete, but as incomplete.. ;-) This is great news for you, congratulations!

Unfortunately everyone is different, and there is no-one that can predict how far your recovery will go..

Good luck! ;-)

What's important is not what happens to us, but how we react to what happens to us..
God gave us two ends, one to think with, n one to sit on.. Success depends on which one u use.. Heads you win, tails u lose..

#7 McTavish

McTavish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,114 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T4 incomplete
  • Injury Date:29-03-2005

Posted 27 December 2010 - 03:25 PM

Maybe he will, maybe he wont but tell him not to put his life on hold in the meantime.

#8 harleyrider11488

harleyrider11488

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:t6, bruise on cord

Posted 07 March 2013 - 06:29 AM

ill never give up period but i have massive pain all the way around me at the lavel of my break t6. drs have tryed epiderals electrical implants tens etc and nothings working. i cant stand a shirt touching my skin feels like A 2ND DEGREE BURN. its so bad now i cant get up of a day anymore and my wreck was july 09. anyone have any ideas? thanks

#9 MTB John

MTB John

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,342 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C6, Incomplete
  • Injury Date:19-02-2010

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:01 AM

There is a technic called desensitization.

Basically you take a feather or a cotton ball and very gently stroke the over the sensitive area until it stops hurting. Then you use something a tad coarser. So on and so forth until the pain has gone.

It's a while but it works in the end.

Good luck..

Edited by MTB John, 07 March 2013 - 07:03 AM.

Out of the gloom a voice said unto me, "Smile and be happy, things could be worse." So I smiled and was happy and behold things did get worse.

#10 Rob Wood

Rob Wood

• Members
  • Pip
  • 130 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T7 / T8

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:03 PM

I wrecked my motorcycle too so Hard to say mar 1 I broke t7/t8 no cutting or severing of spinal cord I started as a complete now incomplete j stretched and pinchedtmy cord the drs say im wheelchair for life but hard to say ive already improved more then they said I would so ya just tell him to stay positive and keep up w any and all therapy he gets and just keep mentally positive I was told last month a dr thought he could tell I was trying to move my foot and I believe occasionally ican move my leg so good luck.

#11 edlee

edlee

Super Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,624 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:t-10 complete
  • Injury Date:11-18-2004

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:12 PM

No cutting, here, either,, just crushing and shock.  Been 9 years a complete,, and I don't expect any change from that.

It's all about luck.  I don't play the lottery, either.

ed

#12 atvchick09

atvchick09

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:Chronic illness
  • Injury Date:08-14-2009

Posted 28 July 2013 - 10:14 PM

ill never give up period but i have massive pain all the way around me at the lavel of my break t6. drs have tryed epiderals electrical implants tens etc and nothings working. i cant stand a shirt touching my skin feels like A 2ND DEGREE BURN. its so bad now i cant get up of a day anymore and my wreck was july 09. anyone have any ideas? thanks

I have relfex sympathetic dystrophy from a ATV accident when I was like 12. Look it up and see if that fits you. I have severe sensitivity.

Spinal Cord Injury & Cauda Equina Syndrome Support

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries and cauda equina syndrome to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.