Welcome to the Apparelyzed Spinal Cord Injury and Cauda Equina Syndrome Support Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to Apparelyzed, an active and vibrant spinal cord injury and cauda equina syndrome support forum. Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of our spinal cord injury support community by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Talk to others in real time in the Chat Room
We look forward to welcoming you to our community and reading your contributions and questions.

Simon
Forum Administrator.

Photo
- - - - -

Do You Pay For Your Own Chairs (manual)

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Poll: If you do pay, what do you think is a fair price? (18 member(s) have cast votes)

Yes

1. $750 (4 votes [16.00%])

Percentage of vote: 16.00%

2. $750-$1,000 (3 votes [12.00%])

Percentage of vote: 12.00%

3. $1,001-$1,250 (2 votes [8.00%])

Percentage of vote: 8.00%

4. $1,251-$1,500 (5 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

5. $1,501-$1,750 (2 votes [8.00%])

6. $1,751-$2,000 (3 votes [12.00%])

Percentage of vote: 12.00%

7. $2,001-$2,500 (2 votes [8.00%])

8. More Than $2,500 (4 votes [16.00%])

Percentage of vote: 16.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Bill'sWS6

Bill'sWS6

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T7

Posted 17 June 2010 - 06:50 PM

I bought a used TiLite ZRA (demo) off Ebay not to long ago. It is a nice chair for the $750 I paid. I didn't have enough money to buy a new one at the time. So, I was thinking, what is a fair price to pay for a good lightweight manual wheelchair?

Since I was buying a rigid chair, lets try to stick to what's fair to pay for one of those. I know insurance drives up the cost since they pay so much. I am trying to find out what others think is a good price to pay for a rigid chair if it's coming out of your pocket?
Let's use a ZR or a ZRA style cantilever chair as the example since this seems to be the most popular style these days.

I will keep out of the voting but think that $1,250 for a chair with everything, including brakes and choice of standard rear wheels & casters.

Let's stick with Aluminum chairs for now. You can post a reply with what you think is fair for Titanium.

Thanks,

Bill

Edited by Bill'sWS6, 17 June 2010 - 06:56 PM.

#2 wheeels

wheeels

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:t12

Posted 17 June 2010 - 08:39 PM

Hmm

This is hard as I don't have to pay out of pocket for my chair unless I go over the allowable limit.

Really I guess I can't put a price on something that gives me freedom as with out it I would be F**Ked

And it depends on the chair I would say that some are worth more then others, and do I want spinergy's or sun wheels??

#3 dreamerr

dreamerr

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 220 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L4/L5 Cauda Equina
  • Injury Date:11-15-2006

Posted 16 October 2011 - 04:20 AM

I paid for insurance my whole life and can't understand why they only want to give us a chair we can't lift or wheel. A light weight chair should be fully covered with all the things we need included. I suppose bells and whistles should be up to us. I wouldn't mind if they said ever three years to get a new one either, maybe even five. I don't really have a clue about that since I use a scooter as much as the manual and have no idea how long it will last. I do know that the breaks get loose all the time and I can never fix them correctly. I need a course in wheelchair maintenance which I don't even know if it exists.
I know I will always have a seat:)

#4 greybeard

greybeard

Super Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,886 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L1-L5 incl - Stenosis
  • Injury Date:21-03-2001

Posted 16 October 2011 - 09:16 AM

Like you, I bought an eBay ex-demo from Tilite - the best value by far that I found after extensive research. (I would recommend this to anyone. It's just a matter of waiting until one your size is offered. Their guy that deals with eBay sales is very helpful)

Comparing the technology and materials involved, but taking into account the lower demand for them, I think chairs ought to be just a little more expensive than the average good quality aluminium bicycle. That would be a fair price, but it's very doubtful that we would ever see it because of the "MEDICAL" mark-up.

Edited by greybeard, 16 October 2011 - 09:18 AM.

"Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day;  Rage, rage against the dying of the light" 

[Dylan Thomas]

#5 qbounce

qbounce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,339 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C7 Complete (so I'm told)

Posted 16 October 2011 - 12:05 PM

My Coulors Spazz G, was about $2,700.00 brand new w/ X-CORE wheels back in 2006, fully covered by insurance.

I'd say, Bill, you got a fair deal for a used TiLite.
When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained. - Mark Twain

#6 greybeard

greybeard

Super Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,886 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 12:30 PM

:thread jacked:
A word about the "used" Tilites that the company sells on eBay: I may have been exceptionally lucky but although described as used, mine showed no trace of previous use and was in pristine "as new" condition. I paid 800.00 UK ($1,265) for a titanium TR, and although it is a great chair, I think that the price I paid ought to be around what a new one should cost - not the 4,000 ($6,300) plus that you would have to pay a UK retailer for a new one.

Getting back on topic, I think Bill's valuation is spot on.

"Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day;  Rage, rage against the dying of the light" 

[Dylan Thomas]

#7 Tetracyclone

Tetracyclone

Super Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,038 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C-5-7 incomplete
  • Injury Date:27-05-2008

Posted 16 October 2011 - 02:00 PM

I paid $3400 for my titanium zra 3 years ago, purchased from spinlife. It is a rigid with solid seat. Insurance eventually paid $2100 of that but it took me 2 appeals processes and one personal appeal by my husband's company's nurse who deals with their insurance company. Once "someone who knew someone" spoke with an actual person, they paid right up.

Now that there is no time pressure I will wait on e-bay to show something suitable, as GB suggested.

#8 megatrig

megatrig

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 445 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5/6 sensory incomplete

Posted 19 October 2011 - 11:50 AM

Only 10 members casting a vote!!!

This is a nightmare one as I guess we have gotten used to paying 1000's for a chair!!

I'll ponder it more!!
Life is just to short not to have fun!

#9 Zack

Zack

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,170 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5 /Friend of AB Cassie
  • Injury Date:10-07-81

Posted 03 December 2011 - 05:37 AM

Did you think I stole it? I would of if I could.
~Kill them with Kindness~

#10 sherbs

sherbs

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 428 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T12, wobbly walker
  • Injury Date:03-01-1993

Posted 03 December 2011 - 09:33 PM

Paid out of pocket for my Cyclone Mirage Ti adjustable, as was deemed "not disabled enough " for the good old NHS system. Like i would want want if i didn't have to have one, Hmm

i am on the lookout for a set of spinergy spokes wheels 25" as a spare set if anyone knows anyone who are selling a pair, please,

#11 russ1

russ1

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,380 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T2 complete
  • Injury Date:16-03-2003

Posted 04 December 2011 - 10:44 AM

Do people really think if the chairs could be developed, marketed, made and sold at half the price that they are sold at and the manufacturer still make a profit that they wouldn't do so. There's a decent global market out there with enough competition to convince me that the prices being charged represent the actual costs of making and selling a small volume, custom made product.

Of course we'd all like to pay less - but there is a reason that they cost what they do.
  • wheeliebear75 likes this
Russ - T2complete

#12 Tetracyclone

Tetracyclone

Super Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,038 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C-5-7 incomplete
  • Injury Date:27-05-2008

Posted 04 December 2011 - 11:06 AM

Do people really think if the chairs could be developed, marketed, made and sold at half the price that they are sold at and the manufacturer still make a profit that they wouldn't do so. There's a decent global market out there with enough competition to convince me that the prices being charged represent the actual costs of making and selling a small volume, custom made product.

Of course we'd all like to pay less - but there is a reason that they cost what they do.

Agreed.

#13 turbotet

turbotet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C4/5 Complete

Posted 04 December 2011 - 12:31 PM

Paid out of pocket for my Cyclone Mirage Ti adjustable, as was deemed "not disabled enough " for the good old NHS system. Like i would want want if i didn't have to have one, Hmm

i am on the lookout for a set of spinergy spokes wheels 25" as a spare set if anyone knows anyone who are selling a pair, please,

There ya go, http://www.epc-wheel...00-per-pair.htm
LFC. The ONLY religion with a God you can touch..... YNWA

#14 greybeard

greybeard

Super Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,886 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 01:14 PM

I would agree with you - if we were all charged similar prices, but you must have noticed that British retailers selling products imported from the USA simply leave the numbers unchanged and just replace the $ sign with a sign. This doesn't only apply to wheelchairs, and yes, I know there are transportation costs and import duty etc., but these do not amount to anything like the big mark-up.

[Dylan Thomas]

#15 sherbs

sherbs

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 428 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T12, wobbly walker
  • Injury Date:03-01-1993

Posted 04 December 2011 - 07:42 PM

There ya go, http://www.epc-wheel...00-per-pair.htm

Wow, thanks so much for the link, just what i am after, you are a star,

#16 russ1

russ1

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,380 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 08:34 PM

I would agree with you - if we were all charged similar prices, but you must have noticed that British retailers selling products imported from the USA simply leave the numbers unchanged and just replace the $ sign with a sign. This doesn't only apply to wheelchairs, and yes, I know there are transportation costs and import duty etc., but these do not amount to anything like the big mark-up.

http://money.uk.msn....entid=156030156

Interesting
Russ - T2complete

#17 wheeliebear75

wheeliebear75

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,865 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L2 incomplete ASIA-D
  • Injury Date:04-28-1990

Posted 04 December 2011 - 09:54 PM

I got my 1st chair @ %100 insurance paid for never saw a price tag when I got discharged from Chidren's hospital...took a few weeks & til then I had to use foam inserts/wedges to take up the extra space between me & the sides of the rental clunker.

By gaining the ability to walk 50-100 ft I "lost the NEED" for a wheelchair....at least in the eyes of paper pushing A** HOLES!

Since then I've bought myself a new Quickie Breezy @ I think $800 & it wasn't "a bad chair"....for the $.

The used chairs didn't fit ME properly; but 1 I got for free from a Vet. who got a new one & didn't want the older one so can't complain too much as it was FREE but I gave it away because the position of it was set to leaning back (WAAAY BAD for ME!) and gave it away along with a cushion I had bought for $250 but sold for only $100 (both parts), & then the Quickie XTR I got used for $300 in 2003 was great except my legs were too short so I had to get spacers to raise the foot plate up by about 4-6 inches (I still use the older XTR inside as it's the narrowest chair I've got).

My "BABY" is my 2005 Quickie XTR; custom built @ a price tag of $3,040....it has airless inserts so no flats EVER, side guards, spoke guards, swing away armrests, & that cost included the $400 ROHO Quattro air cushion.

My custom built chair; has the features that are most important to ME, is much more comfortable than the used ones (made to fit MY body), lighter over-all weight, I got to pick the color.
*Enjoy every sunset, but be grateful for every dawn.*
*Wheelchairs are made of a special ocular magnetic alloy......they're "eyeball magnets".*
*I USE a wheelchair, that does NOT make ME a wheelchair!*

#18 greybeard

greybeard

Super Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,886 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 11:27 PM

http://money.uk.msn....entid=156030156

Interesting

Thanks for the link. Yes, it was interesting, but the writer just raised the same issue as I did. He strayed off course a little by arguing that they pay more for cosmetics in the US, as if that had some relevance. Over all, no convincing explanation was given.

[Dylan Thomas]

#19 russ1

russ1

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,380 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 08:59 PM

I think the point was that outside of the different tax regimes market forces apply and that it's not an entirely one way street.
Russ - T2complete

Spinal Cord Injury & Cauda Equina Syndrome Support

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries and cauda equina syndrome to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.