Welcome to the Apparelyzed Spinal Cord Injury and Cauda Equina Syndrome Support Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to Apparelyzed, an active and vibrant spinal cord injury and cauda equina syndrome support forum. Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of our spinal cord injury support community by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Talk to others in real time in the Chat Room
We look forward to welcoming you to our community and reading your contributions and questions.

Simon
Forum Administrator.

Photo
- - - - -

Hair Loss Following Spinal Cord Injury :(

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 joy.nucharee

joy.nucharee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T7 / Complete

Posted 22 June 2010 - 01:30 PM

Hi there,

i got a quick question for you. I'm T7 complete, 3 months post only I've noticed that my hair is falling a lot than usual for a week, so I wonder is that normal for a new para having a hair fall (maybe taking too many medicines during the treatment?) Is anyone has the same problem at the begining? tell me plsssssssss

Joy :doh:

Edited by Apparelyzed, 22 June 2010 - 01:49 PM.

#2 pikey

pikey

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 534 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T3 complete
  • Injury Date:13-09-1978

Posted 22 June 2010 - 01:52 PM

Over the years all my hair has fallen out, BTW I am now 40! :doh:
If I fall out of my wheelchair in the woods would anybody hear me?

#3 Apparelyzed

Apparelyzed

The Boss!

• **Admin
  • 4,795 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5/6 Anterior Cord
  • Injury Date:02-01-1992

Posted 22 June 2010 - 01:57 PM

Hi,

It's not unusual, and can be attributed to both stress and medication.

Mine grew back a bit following my injury, but if you're male, the regrowth may not be as noticable, as compared to females. Regrowth in men, may also be less if male pattern baldness is in your direct family.

Certain drugs can cause hair loss, such as:

* Acne medications containing vitamin A (retinoids)
* Antibiotics and antifungal drugs
* Antidepressants
* Birth control pills
* Anticlotting drugs
* Cholesterol-lowering drugs
* Drugs that suppress the immune system
* Drugs that treat breast cancer
* Epilepsy drugs (anticonvulsants)
* High blood pressure medications (anti-hypertensives), such as beta-blockers, ACE inhibitors, and diuretics
* Hormone replacement therapy
* Mood stabilizers
* Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs)
* Parkinson's disease drugs
* Steroids
* Thyroid medications
* Weight loss drugs

Check any medication you may be on, if you still have doubts, it'd be best to quiz your doctor.

Regards

Simon

Posted Image   Posted Image
Follow the Apparelyzed Forum on our Facebook and Twitter feeds.

#4 Ches

Ches

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,381 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T4/T5
  • Injury Date:15-04-2007

Posted 22 June 2010 - 06:54 PM

Meds = Thinning hair and flaky skin..

Oh how I DONT miss that stage.
Our Handicaps Exist Only In the Mind

#5 dancin' johnny

dancin' johnny

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,884 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:Completely T10'd

Posted 22 June 2010 - 09:42 PM

Over the years all my hair has fallen out, BTW I am now 40! :)

Ditto +1

On the odd occasion when I feel like telling the story of my injury I add that all my hair fell out the moment I hit the concrete!
How does it feel to feel?

#6 joy.nucharee

joy.nucharee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T7 / Complete

Posted 24 June 2010 - 01:21 PM

Thank you Simon, actually i don't take any medicine at all at this moment but you problably right about the stress cus now i'm so worrying that i won't be able to transfer myself from place to place :dev:

#7 Ratticis

Ratticis

Super Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,440 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T4 Complete(ly insane)
  • Injury Date:07-08-2007

Posted 24 June 2010 - 03:12 PM

They attributed mine to a lack of some vitamin or another (can't remember which ATM)

HANDICAPPED HOTRODS 2ND ANNUAL CAR SHOW

http://socialarchite...4?layout=single

#8 Ironside

Ironside

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 287 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5
  • Injury Date:May 18, 1986

Posted 24 June 2010 - 03:37 PM

I had my accident at 16. I started receding at the age of 20. Then large amounts of hair started falling out. I suppose is carried on for about a year and then slowed right down. It seemed that I had lost all of my strong hair and was left with slightly finer hair, although I could still grow a good head of hair that was quite thick.

Anyway, I slowly receded over the years but it was a very very slow process and I never looked like I was seriously having a hair loss problem.

To cut a long story short, I was very ill in 2008 and very nearly died from sepsis. I think it was all attributed to a problem with my right kidney which was removed last year. After I was ill my hair fell out at an alarming rate and at the beginning of last year you could see my scalp through my very thin hair. I thought that was it, I was going to be completely bald within no time at all. However, as I gradually regained my health, my hair started to grow back. It is now much thicker and stronger than before I was ill, in fact, the hair that I lost over 20 years ago has now returned. I'm hoping that those little bits on my temples will return, but I'm not holding much hope. But, I've more hair than I did two years ago and there's no sign of any gray, and I have recently celebrated my 41st birthday.

#9 Trinity

Trinity

2nd in Command!

• Moderators
  • 5,041 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T8 complete

Posted 24 June 2010 - 05:15 PM

A lack of vitamin D has been attributed to hair loss, I guess it could be that because you get vitamin D from sunlight and being cooped up for a long time in hospital means that sunlight is lacking (you can also get it from some foods such as fortified cereals, mushrooms and eggs)

I would have thought that the number one reason for hair loss after immediately after sci would be stress. The body has so much else to deal with that hair growth goes on the back burner, I guess it kinda prioritises it's use of nutrients and hair loses out sometimes.

Memento Vivere
Memento Mori

#10 McTavish

McTavish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,114 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T4 incomplete
  • Injury Date:29-03-2005

Posted 02 July 2010 - 02:39 PM

Hi Joy, Yes I also lost a lot of hair about three months after my injury when I was in Rehab.I also think it was due to stress, thankfully it came back better and thicker than ever after a couple of months and after taking a hair supplement. Yours will probably be the same, in the meantime try not to get too stressed out over anything, just go with the flow, good luck.

#11 S&W Winger

S&W Winger

Advanced Member

• Closed Account
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,950 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T-7 Com / C6,T3/4 Inc

Posted 02 July 2010 - 11:41 PM

I lost about one third of my hair...atributed to the trauma/shock and meds...also had a sizable bald spot on the back of my head from laying on my back for a few months while on the vent and immobilized with spine stuff...all grew back eventually...in fact, my hair is thicker, and used to be poker straight, now has some curl...three months is very early on, so don't worry...hope you continue to heal well and fast...you've come to a great place for info and support! :specool:
Beverly

"A wild patience has taken me this far..."

#12 McRobb

McRobb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 133 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T6 - 9 incomplete

Posted 07 July 2010 - 03:39 AM

after my injury six years ago my hair got quite thin on top. Eventually it grew back but took a long time to do so - possibly a year or so.

I was beauty operator for 21 years and saw many ladies who lost a lot of hair after surgeries or extended illnesses so I blame a lot of it on anesetic(sp) used to knock you out for surgeries. Most of it will come back but it takes some time. People with chemo therapy that lose all their hair often get new hair with a surprise color and a change of texture and curl/no curl as well. Have seen it many times.

Don'e give up and good luck.

Spinal Cord Injury & Cauda Equina Syndrome Support

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries and cauda equina syndrome to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.