•  
  • Forum Help

Welcome to the Apparelyzed Spinal Cord Injury and Cauda Equina Syndrome Support Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to Apparelyzed, an active and vibrant spinal cord injury and cauda equina syndrome support forum. Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of our spinal cord injury support community by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Talk to others in real time in the Chat Room
Don't forget to follow the latest spinal cord injury news articles on our Facebook and Twitter feeds.

Posted Image Posted Image

We look forward to welcoming you to our community and reading your contributions and questions.

Simon
Forum Administrator.

Photo
- - - - -

What Can I Do To Help Me Walk Again?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 25femalepara

25femalepara

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:t7

Posted 11 August 2010 - 05:21 PM

I know that question might seem silly but I am a newly injuried t7. While in rehab a met a guy who could walk with a walker and his spine was severed in 4 places! He said he was able to walk again because he would try to move his muscles all the time . I also heard that if you squeeze your butt cheeks it will help you stand up faster. Any advice? While I was in magee rehab I could get my knee to move with strong concentration now nothing happens. Pleases any tips because I'm fighting to hang in there but I'm 25 yrs old its hard yo think ill spend the rest of my life like this:(
HANGING IN THERE

#2 edlee

edlee

Super Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,710 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:t-10 complete
  • Injury Date:11-18-2004

Posted 11 August 2010 - 06:41 PM

If you've had voluntary movement after injury then you have a reasonable chance to gain more,,, but remember, I said "reasonable" and "chance". Nothing is for sure in this SCI life we live,,,, except that there is life.

Continued physical excercise will give you the best chance of improvement,, and will help you a lot, even if you don't recover any more movement.

As for the guy with his cord SEVERED in four places,,, sorry,, but that is bulls##t,, at least from my own study and experience.

I wish you the best. And stick around,, there are a few here who will give you a less pessimistic view than I have.
ed

#3 Ches

Ches

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,380 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T4/T5
  • Injury Date:15-04-2007

Posted 11 August 2010 - 06:57 PM

If you are unable to voluntarily move what nuscle you could move post injury then you are probably just out of shape. Exercise is a must for incompletes hoping to strengthen what they have (well completes too, but you catch my drift). Nothing good comes easy.
Our Handicaps Exist Only In the Mind

#4 Millard

Millard

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,060 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5-C6 Tetraplegia
  • Injury Date:20-07-1967

Posted 11 August 2010 - 08:38 PM

I know that question might seem silly but I am a newly injuried t7. While in rehab a met a guy who could walk with a walker and his spine was severed in 4 places! He said he was able to walk again because he would try to move his muscles all the time . I also heard that if you squeeze your butt cheeks it will help you stand up faster. Any advice? While I was in magee rehab I could get my knee to move with strong concentration now nothing happens. Pleases any tips because I'm fighting to hang in there but I'm 25 yrs old its hard yo think ill spend the rest of my life like this:(

I don't know how long you have been injured, but you can expect to get return back for about two years. With me, I would notice that something started moving or I was getting feeling back and would work like crazy trying to get it all back as fast as possible. Just remember, it takes time, work and patience.

Good luck.

Millard
"Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid!" - John Wayne

#5 25femalepara

25femalepara

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 09:56 PM

@ ed I did think his story was some what of a fairy tale myself lol

Thank u ches that is helpful do u think I should be doing arm stuff only is there any excerise u think would be best?

Good advice millard. What started moving first with you? I was shot in march of this year.
HANGING IN THERE

#6 Ches

Ches

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,380 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T4/T5
  • Injury Date:15-04-2007

Posted 12 August 2010 - 03:36 AM

No, get out of that chair and exercise.. Maybe get on your bed and try getting on all fours, it will work all kinds of back muscles. Once you arent so wobbly on your knees you can try staying that position but rocking front to back or side to side.. Just think of a baby, all over the place, building those pathways. If that is all too easy for you then try staying on all fours and attempt to lift a leg..

There's a ton of ways to "exercise" just keep moving and working all those muscles that you can below your injury, keep trying..wear yourself out!
Our Handicaps Exist Only In the Mind

#7 25femalepara

25femalepara

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 07:29 PM

Thanks a lot ill give a go sounds good to me!
HANGING IN THERE

#8 The Black Sheep

The Black Sheep

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,502 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T5, stand-n-shuffler
  • Injury Date:01-08-1998

Posted 13 August 2010 - 02:44 AM

In my personal experience, I don't agree with some of the posters. Recovery does take time, and sometimes a LOT of time. When I was first paralyzed I was told that if I didn't recover anything within 3-4 months, it probably wouldn't come back. I am 12 years post injury, and within the last 5 I've gained more than in the first 7. exercise, exercise, exercise, but don't get discouraged if it doesn't come back rapidly.

I'm a T5 incomplete and was left with no movement below my chest, but almost normal sensation. About a year after my injury I stood up within parallel bars. About a year later I started wiggling a toe. This was 2 years afterwards! In the passed 3 years my balance has improved dramatically. I can stand in a walker and let go for a few minutes and shift my weight to stay upright. I'm just starting to do mini-squats.

Balance is one of the hardest things I've had problems with. The post about staying on all 4's is a really good one. It stretches your back and helps you balance. Wiggle all over the place and just keep at it. Your natural reaction is to balance, and sometimes muscles begin to work without you realizing it. I've found that, personally, when I'm not concentrating so hard on trying to move something, I can't, but just trying to balance while I'm wiggling, I actually feel my side abs, lower back and thighs trying to compensate. It's not a spasm either.

I'm not sure what level your injury is at, or how severe it was, but try to be optimistic. Even if things don't go as quickly as you want, if they do at all, it's good to keep exercising and maintain what you currently have. Most people get the maximum recovery within 2 years, but every injury is different.

Edited by The Black Sheep, 13 August 2010 - 02:47 AM.

3 doctors diagnosed me with hysterical paralysis (weee!), 1 diagnosed an incomplete T7, another T2 and the last (and most accurate) T5. Trampolines are BAD. Sleep is unpredictable. And never kiss strangers. Life has moved on.

#9 mellowgator

mellowgator

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,866 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C 6/7

Posted 13 August 2010 - 03:04 AM

hi femaleparaw25,

one thing you may consider is if you have had any changes in your medication. some muscle relaxants will mask movement. i had to go off of the valium i was on for 7 years and i found that i could move my toes. a lot of the walkers have to cut back on their baclofen or they lose functionality.

another way to work all your muscles is in a pool. the buoynacy enables me to stand and take steps. and swimming laps has give me (a c6-7 )really strong low back muscles. when you swim you are potentially using all your muscles and the return can be surprising.

i don't believe the guy you say walking severed his cord. i have never heard of a complete injury having return below level of injury. i believe people were told they were a complete injury when they weren't.

i also was injured when i was 25 years old. i've gone one to having 2 daughters and a really happy life post injury. hopefully you'll walk again if not life can still be really good. in a little over a year i'll be having my 25th anniversary as a quad. i totally know how you feel but being on this side it's not all that bad. it's all in attitude and the love of family and friends.

good luck,

mellowgator
hi fellow gimps! i'm a c 6/7 quad and have been injured since 1986. i was in a roll over hydroplane accident and it took hours for the paramedics to get me out of the car in the pouring rain. that definately wasn't my day. but alas life goes on!

#10 4wheelz

4wheelz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T4, T5, T6

Posted 13 August 2010 - 05:41 AM

attitude is everything.. be patient and work hard but also be realistic. good luck bud.

#11 25femalepara

25femalepara

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 06:31 AM

Black sheep that Awesome! !!! Cool freaking beans I'm happy for you. N congrats mellowgator. Thank u to bud
HANGING IN THERE

#12 edlee

edlee

Super Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,710 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:t-10 complete
  • Injury Date:11-18-2004

Posted 13 August 2010 - 08:48 PM

As you can see from the above,, the two key words are Patience and Attitude. I happen to think the first is the most important,, because the second will change daily. Try to stay positive,, and watch out for the black dog,, he'll bite you in the ass when you give him the chance.

good luck and don't be a stranger.
ed

#13 The Black Sheep

The Black Sheep

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,502 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T5, stand-n-shuffler
  • Injury Date:01-08-1998

Posted 13 August 2010 - 11:25 PM

hi femaleparaw25,

one thing you may consider is if you have had any changes in your medication. some muscle relaxants will mask movement. i had to go off of the valium i was on for 7 years and i found that i could move my toes. a lot of the walkers have to cut back on their baclofen or they lose functionality.

another way to work all your muscles is in a pool. the buoynacy enables me to stand and take steps. and swimming laps has give me (a c6-7 )really strong low back muscles. when you swim you are potentially using all your muscles and the return can be surprising.

YES! I was on baclofen for the first 2 years after my injury and had little recovery. My spasms are managable, though. Some people need baclofen because they can be overwhelming, but it may be something to consider if you're on it. I stopped taking the baclofen when we lost insurance, and the spasms have actually helped me regain a lot. I went back on baclofen when I was 20 (7 years after my injury) and I went completely limp. I couldn't wiggle my toes anymore, but I stayed on it for about a year because a doctor recommended I just try something different. Now, going back off of it I've had the most recovery in the last 3 years. I'm not sure what other medications would have the effect, but baclofen for me was no good. Not to mention the downers and depression I had while on it.

Swimming! I can't stress enough how good it feels to be in the water. I highly recommend trying it, as a couple others probably would as well. Even if you only have a little movement, it's so much easier to move in water, and great exercise.
3 doctors diagnosed me with hysterical paralysis (weee!), 1 diagnosed an incomplete T7, another T2 and the last (and most accurate) T5. Trampolines are BAD. Sleep is unpredictable. And never kiss strangers. Life has moved on.

Spinal Cord Injury & Cauda Equina Syndrome Support

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries and cauda equina syndrome to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.