#1 SirWheelie

SirWheelie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T6
  • Injury Date:04-19-2010

Posted 04 September 2010 - 02:26 AM

Hi I'm a 24 year old male new to the SCI world ...... and I think I'm going to be scared to go out cause I might have a bowel movement how do u train it to go at the sometime everyday
T-6/T-7 incomplete "alive today to tell about yesterday"

#2 Ohiokitten4

Ohiokitten4

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T7

Posted 04 September 2010 - 07:38 AM

Hi I'm a 24 year old male new to the SCI world ...... and I think I'm going to be scared to go out cause I might have a bowel movement how do u train it to go at the sometime everyday

Well that fear will never go away, it happens to all of us at one time or another it seems. But you cannot live life on the what ifs. I personally use a machine called PIE=pulsed irrigated evacuation. It is where water is put into the colon and cleans me out. Like anything there is always the chance that you can stil have an accident from time to time. But its surely better then picking your butt and ending up with bleeding hemmeroids. I've done this method for many years now, and it requires help from someone else. I think that other then not being able to walk again, the very worst part of being paralyzed is the bowel issues. I truly wouldnt wish this on anyone. good luck!~
~~**OhioKitten4**~~

#3 Smileyblue

Smileyblue

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T8 complete

Posted 04 September 2010 - 09:22 AM

Hi SirWheelie.. Welcome to the site.. ;-)

You will find a wealth of information here, we're all in the same boat or partners of people in the same boat..

With regard to training your bowel, it takes time and patience, but it IS achievable! ;-)

Firstly, we are all different, so what works for one, does not necessarily work for another.. How I got mine trained was by taking a stool softener every morning and going to the bathroom every evening at the same time, after a meal and a hot cup of tea to stimulate the bowels.. I use a Dulcolax suppository to get started, and sit for an hour, then off to the shower.. Once trained I noticed that I was not getting results every time, so I extended my routine to a day and a half, and now I'm settled on every second day..

It's trial and error I'm afraid.. Look at how regularly your bowel needs movement, how long it takes to complete voiding, the consistency to see if you require softeners etc, and work from there..

Best wishes.. ;-)

What's important is not what happens to us, but how we react to what happens to us..
God gave us two ends, one to think with, n one to sit on.. Success depends on which one u use.. Heads you win, tails u lose..

#4 partygirl

partygirl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T7 to L1 complete

Posted 06 September 2010 - 01:46 AM

It is certainly trial and error and we are all a bit different in how we manage out bowels. I remember awful times when I was on heavy duty antibiotics AND heavy duty aperients (bloody doctors),but at least I was in hospital then rehab at the time so I wasn't the one cleaning up after my accidents! Poor staff.
At home for the past two years I have gradually got things where I want them. My bowel is neurogenic, so a formed (solid) motion can sit in my rectum for ever and not come out, as a result i battle with constipation.
I do manual removal with a glove and lube every morning before my shower, that plus massaging the abdomen beforehand, and a good diet, keeps my bowel going and no accidents. However, once in a while I get the mother of all bowel movements that blocks the toilet.....I know that happens to lots of other SCIs... there's some things ya just have to laugh about!
I live in fear of getting a dose of the shits from eating something bad when out at a restaurant or someone's home, the other night went to a friends for dinner and had prawns and chilli crab, started getting the gripes and thought i was in for it! and their toilet isn't accessible! yikes! luckily it was a false alarm.
Anyway, good luck. The message is to establish a routine and stick to it if it's working for you.

#5 SirWheelie

SirWheelie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T6
  • Injury Date:04-19-2010

Posted 07 September 2010 - 06:20 PM

Thanks for all the replys very useful information
T-6/T-7 incomplete "alive today to tell about yesterday"

#6 isobar

isobar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,462 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:t12-l1/incomplete/

Posted 22 September 2010 - 06:22 AM

what  works for me is i eat at the same time everyday and take fiber 30 mins before i eat.

eating at the same time trains your bowels to move with regularity. if you can exercise 

everyday the movement helps get things going. you are a t-7 you probably have reflex.

your bowels may move every other day or so once your rectum is full. some type

of exer cycle to get your legs moving will help get you more regular. as we all know

everybody's different. good luck i hope you get it down to a science.

LITUT = "Life Is The Ultimate Teacher"

#7 airart1

airart1

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,451 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:t-12
  • Injury Date:29-04-1990

Posted 22 September 2010 - 02:30 PM

consistancy!

#8 BillS

BillS

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 344 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T6 complete since 1977

Posted 24 September 2010 - 07:46 PM

My doctors recommended an oral stool softener and an everyday bowel program with a glycerin suppository and manual stimulation. I kept having accidents and got rid of the stool softener. Then I realized that every day just wasn't working out for me, I'd often have no bowel movement no matter what I tried in the morning then have an accident that afternoon. I settled on every other day as working best for me. I have started using Metamucil once a day for the past few years and that seems to help a lot.

You'll just have to try some things and see what works for you. It's really a case of trial and error until you find your best method. Even then you still might have an accident every now and then.

Edited by BillS, 24 September 2010 - 07:48 PM.

Just a regular guy making his way through life.

#9 D. Smith

D. Smith

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 559 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T10 Complete
  • Injury Date:29-04-2010

Posted 29 September 2010 - 04:43 AM

Taking a nice fiber supplement and for me, trying a program everyday. But I'm a T10 complete with reflex so I don't know if that would work for you...
When in Rome, go naked! --xbox360 tag: Ice764
-- You have to crawl before you walk; You have to slide before you depress; You have to love before you live. --

#10 isobar

isobar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,462 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:t12-l1/incomplete/

Posted 09 October 2010 - 03:45 AM

Hi,

Eat at the same time everyday this will train your bowels to move regularly at the same time. Watch what you eat and how much you eat..... Try to eliminate junk foods from your diet and dont over eat. Caffeine can cause problems. Drink water  and exercise regularly. I do use fiber and eat mostly healthy stuff..... i go twice a day. Everyone's system is different though.

LITUT = "Life Is The Ultimate Teacher"

#11 chrisarnold6

chrisarnold6

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 176 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T12 complete

Posted 09 October 2010 - 11:04 AM

Hi and welcome to the forum.

These worries never go away, but with time accidents do decrease. In rehab, I had recurrent bowel leaks, and this was not helped as I managed to get C. Diff. This played havoc with rehab and in particular physio, where any effort involving the abdominals had a squelchy end point. I was introduced to something called methyl cellulose, (Celevac) that does help to bind the stool.

On release home, I also started a water system of bowel care, that I much prefer to the "pick and shovel" methods. The tablet I take is about 4:30pm, and meals are scheduled to be regular, with a breakfast at 9:00 a sparing lunch (if at all) and dinner at about 5:15. Bowel care has been reduced from daily to Mon, Wed and Friday.

#12 The Black Sheep

The Black Sheep

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,391 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T5, stand-n-shuffler
  • Injury Date:01-08-1998

Posted 09 October 2010 - 03:06 PM

Everyone has mentioned that what works for one doesn't work for everyone. Some things to try, though, and hopefully one or two might help.

Hot liquids! I have a cup of tea, or two, about 30 minutes before I "go".

Running hands in hot water while on the potty. I know this works for people to pee, but it helps sometimes with the other area as well.

Massaging the belly. I've read this somewhere and tried it, but it also might have a lot to do with your level of injury. I'm mid T's and I've found that if I push my belly in and rub in circles for about a minute or two, everything gets stirred up and, well, yeah. I've also found that putting my feet flat on the ground and then bending over, that way my thighs are also pushing my belly in and the change in posture sometimes helps. There's a thread somewhere around here about gas, and how bending forward causes people to toot sometimes. After a belly rub and bending, things start to move in the right direction.

A lot of people take stool softeners, so it might be something to try as well. I don't have much experience with them, but every doctor I've been to has recommended it. Any type of stimulation will help, whether it's a latex glove and manually doing it yourself, or a water-injector, or a vibrator... I've seen them mentioned in a couple other threads, but also be careful with how they're used. It's kind of a sensitive area down there and easy to hurt your skin.
3 doctors diagnosed me with hysterical paralysis (weee!), 1 diagnosed an incomplete T7, another T2 and the last (and most accurate) T5. Trampolines are BAD. Sleep is unpredictable. And never kiss strangers. Life has moved on.

#13 trucker

trucker

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:t5 complete

Posted 25 April 2011 - 10:29 PM

I have been paralyzed for 5 yrs and my bowels are only moving about once a week and I use dulcolax and veggie laxatives, I'm concerned about getting megacolon or a blockage when they move they move well, just wondering if anyone has any thoughts.

#14 davjed

davjed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,344 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T12-L1 Incomplete
  • Injury Date:17-12-1961

Posted 29 April 2011 - 03:49 AM

"I've also found that putting my feet flat on the ground and then bending over, that way my thighs are also pushing my belly in and the change in posture sometimes helps. There's a thread somewhere around here about gas, and how bending forward causes people to toot sometimes. After a belly rub and bending, things start to move in the right direction."

Have you tried putting a small footstool in front of the toilet to elevate your feet, bring your thighs up, and straighten out your colon for an easier BM?
"DON'T TREAD ON ME"

#15 biggdoggpa

biggdoggpa

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:t6-complete / best friend

Posted 16 May 2011 - 09:04 AM

So over all basically it's important to be consistant in what times you eat and what you eat?? my friend is very new to this and experiancing accidents from time to time. I felt that it was important that he watch what he eats and try to be consistant with BM times. I will reiterate this info to him!! Thank You all
STAY STRONG

#16 Grinch83

Grinch83

• Members
  • Pip
  • 99 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T6 Complete
  • Injury Date:00-00-2010

Posted 16 May 2011 - 05:32 PM

It's true, this is the most difficult part of SCI...the fear of shatting oneself while out and about.

I'm still relatively new to the SCI world myself, but since the bowel issue is very important to me, it's one of the areas of care I've taken the most seriously.

Here's my routine, which has generally allowed me to be relatively accident free:

I do my program daily, in the morning. I usually take a stool softener at each meal, and 4 senekot pills at night before I go to bed (usually about 8-10 hours before I plan on doing my program). When I wake up in the morning, I transfer to my shower/commode chair, make myself a cup of coffee and hover over the can. I do a preliminary digital stimulation with a gloved and lubricated finger (gross, I know, but necessary) and then I use one ducolax suppository. Usually within twenty to thirty minutes I have some action, and I will then do a digi stim every 10-15 minutes until empty. The process takes about an hour, but if I deviate drastically in timing, diet, or location, it can take longer.

Here's a few tips:

• Knowing when you're empty will drastically cut down on the accidents you have during the day. It's been explained to me that the best way to "know" when you're empty is when you do a digi stim and your rectum tightens around the finger. Prior to evacuating your bowels, when you do a digi stim the rectum will open to allow for easy passage of your BM. When there is no more stool left, the rectum should close and want to stay closed.
  • I drink a cup of coffee while waiting for the suppository to kick in. It seems to help.
  • Try to stick to the same daily (or every other day) schedule for your program. Your body is easier trained this way. I was lucky as before I got hurt I was always a daily morning guy, so it was easier for me to get back on track after hospital and rehab.
  • As others have said, keep yourself hydrated and active throughout the day.
I'm hoping to one day have the ability to go on my own, when I want, where I want and to have the ability to hold it in if I have to. Until then, I stick to this routine and hope for the best. Good luck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.