Welcome to the Apparelyzed Spinal Cord Injury and Cauda Equina Syndrome Support Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to Apparelyzed, an active and vibrant spinal cord injury and cauda equina syndrome support forum. Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of our spinal cord injury support community by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Talk to others in real time in the Chat Room
We look forward to welcoming you to our community and reading your contributions and questions.

Simon
Forum Administrator.

Photo
- - - - -

Best Way To Toughen Skin After A Pressure Sore

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 aggzy

aggzy

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 341 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:c1-scull
  • Injury Date:20-02-1985

Posted 15 September 2010 - 09:04 PM

hey

I've had a pressure sore spot under my butt cheek and it breaks down easy

any ideas how to toughen it up ?

Ag's
come see my website

HIGHER THAN SUPERMAN

#2 airart1

airart1

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,452 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:t-12
  • Injury Date:29-04-1990

Posted 15 September 2010 - 09:11 PM

first get u a cheap ironman watch and set it to beep every 15 minutes for sure and do a pressure relief......i do put vitamin e cream on mine if i've been up awhile, u got to remember for every sore/surgery u loose about 20%.....time will help alot, the longer u go from it breaking down the better it will get, i usually do 4 or 5 hours in the morning and then off for a few hours and up again 4 or 5, i'm not suppose to ever be up over 8 hours at one time again, even though i have been, i try to limit it as much as i can.....i also have a special roho where there is 3 in cells where my sore/surgery was and 4 in everywhere else.......it makes a difference....alot of pressure reliefs for sure!

#3 qbounce

qbounce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,339 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C7 Complete (so I'm told)

Posted 15 September 2010 - 10:34 PM

Airart, I was told the skin area is 30% weaker after a surgery or pressure sore. No matter, due to that fact there's nothing you can do to bring it back to its natural element. All that's left is to heed what airart said and look at your problem area daily to make sure than nothings forming there.
When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained. - Mark Twain

#4 TjTheQuad

TjTheQuad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C6|Complete

Posted 16 September 2010 - 03:36 AM

holy shit... i know you your Shane Angew, umm think in hospital the rehab told me but ive seem to forgotten.
'Live and Forget'

#5 airart1

airart1

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 07:26 PM

30% percent, darn, i guess dr. all see it different, but man that a deffinately substantual decrease in sitting, it sure worries the crap out of me i know that, i got a watch that beeps at me to make me move, i religiously get off of it after awhile, i'm tired of being cut on, don't want to go thru it anymore.........its life changing for sure.......

#6 qbounce

qbounce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,339 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C7 Complete (so I'm told)

Posted 16 September 2010 - 09:22 PM

30% percent, darn, i guess dr. all see it different, but man that a deffinately substantual decrease in sitting, it sure worries the crap out of me i know that, i got a watch that beeps at me to make me move, i religiously get off of it after awhile, i'm tired of being cut on, don't want to go thru it anymore.........its life changing for sure.......

You got that right!
Hey aggsy,
I forgot to mention this newer cushion company called Ride. They make custom form fitted cushions at a more expensive cost. But I hear they're much better than the high profile ROHO at helping prevent sores. Here's the address:

www.ridedesigns.com

Sorry, I screwed up the link. I'm such a newb!

Edited by qbounce, 16 September 2010 - 09:27 PM.

When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained. - Mark Twain

#7 Mary-Anne

Mary-Anne

• Members
  • Pip
  • 137 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:Partner: T5 ischemic
  • Injury Date:04-03-2010

Posted 16 September 2010 - 11:33 PM

www.ridedesigns.com

#8 aggzy

aggzy

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 341 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:c1-scull
  • Injury Date:20-02-1985

Posted 18 September 2010 - 02:50 AM

holy shit... i know you your Shane Angew, umm think in hospital the rehab told me but ive seem to forgotten.

sure am what rehab did you go to?
come see my website

HIGHER THAN SUPERMAN

#9 TjTheQuad

TjTheQuad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C6|Complete

Posted 18 September 2010 - 07:06 AM

we met on 2010 new years at Marks house
'Live and Forget'

#10 airart1

airart1

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 02:43 PM

back on topic........gradually is about all u can do............

Spinal Cord Injury & Cauda Equina Syndrome Support

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries and cauda equina syndrome to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.