#1 uAdapt

uAdapt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5/6 Complete Quad
  • Injury Date:6-19-1998

Posted 26 September 2010 - 08:51 PM

Iíd like to start an equipment discussion for people with any type of disability that affects a personís grip strength and hand/finger movement. More specifically, what equipment or techniques do you use to drink beverages? Iíd like to share what works for me and to learn about what works for other people.

I am 12 years post injury. I am a C5-6 complete quadriplegic from a spinal cord injury from a diving accident. I have no grip strength, no finger or hand movement and my fingers are in a closed/fisted position. I spent years trying out different types of equipment and different techniques for drinking beverages.

I dislike using straws all of the time, so I use a cool simple product called the uDrink. It is a unique handle with a strap that can go around any time of cup, can, glass or bottle. A friend of mine helped develop the uDrink so it could help me and others with disabilities affecting their hands. You can find out more about the uDrink here: http://www.u-adapt.com/udrink.html

Please write about what equipment you use, or what techniques that youíve found helpful. I think this topic could help a lot of people.

#2 dm999

dm999

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:c5/6 complete

Posted 26 September 2010 - 09:33 PM

Iíd like to start an equipment discussion for people with any type of disability that affects a personís grip strength and hand/finger movement. More specifically, what equipment or techniques do you use to drink beverages? Iíd like to share what works for me and to learn about what works for other people.

I am 12 years post injury. I am a C5-6 complete quadriplegic from a spinal cord injury from a diving accident. I have no grip strength, no finger or hand movement and my fingers are in a closed/fisted position. I spent years trying out different types of equipment and different techniques for drinking beverages.

I dislike using straws all of the time, so I use a cool simple product called the uDrink. It is a unique handle with a strap that can go around any time of cup, can, glass or bottle. A friend of mine helped develop the uDrink so it could help me and others with disabilities affecting their hands. You can find out more about the uDrink here: http://www.u-adapt.com/udrink.html

Please write about what equipment you use, or what techniques that youíve found helpful. I think this topic could help a lot of people.

My fingers are clenched too and if I stretch them around the bottle or can it holds it tight. A mug if it has a handle big enough for your thumb and rest the heel of your hand below (careful if it's hot)

#3 Craig'sAunt

Craig'sAunt

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C4/C5 - Aunt

Posted 17 January 2011 - 09:58 AM

My fingers are clenched too and if I stretch them around the bottle or can it holds it tight. A mug if it has a handle big enough for your thumb and rest the heel of your hand below (careful if it's hot)

Hi, Thanks for starting this discussion. My nephew is a c4/c5 quadriplegic and has only been home for a few months. I found this website while trying to find technology options for him. I am really glad to hear of this product as currently he's pretty much only able to use straws. He has no basic fine motor skills in his hands and wrists so holding this at this point are still very tricky for him. I am going to order one of these for him this week. I will continue to monitor the discussion for new ideas. Thanks again.

Craig's Aunt :-)

#4 snowqueeneh

snowqueeneh

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:Spouse C5/C6 Complete

Posted 21 January 2011 - 04:32 AM

P1010250.JPG

This is Pauls lighter. He just pushes the bar down and it lights - then he lifts the bar up and it shuts off. It's super easy. His sister & brother inlaw made it for him. We also had to remove/ tape down the safety device to make it.

#5 snowqueeneh

snowqueeneh

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 04:41 AM

P1010247.JPG

This is Pauls wine glass. We started off with a "glass" one but it broke. So this one is actually plastic. We wraped soldering iron around the base to add weight so that it doesn't tip. It works great! He can also use any wine glass if it's half full. This comes in handy when we go out to eat.

P1010248.JPG

Here is another pic of the glass

P1010251.JPG

Here is Pauls forlk device thingy that the OT made for him. It works well but it's really ugly. We also use it for popsicles as you can see (c: This is one of our issues. It's nice to have something that works but we are hoping someone has something less noticable. P1010251.JPG

Can you spot the difference in the popsicle pictures?

#6 snowqueeneh

snowqueeneh

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 04:51 AM

Picture 022.jpgedit.jpg

Here is a picture of Paul before the injury. He misses his truck more than he misses his legs. We are hoping someone with a C5/6 complete injury figured out how to adapt a lifted Ford truck out there somewhere lol

#7 sh1wn

sh1wn

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 378 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:c3/c4 complete

Posted 22 January 2011 - 12:03 AM

Hi, I am a c3/c4 quad and I really love my naturalpoint mouse http://www.naturalpoint.com/smartnav/ I had poor results with voice control so it has really been helpful. There are controls for a quads to drive but I have never used them http://www.emc-digi.com/
Hope this helps :)

#8 quadinva

quadinva

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 449 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C-5/6 complete

Posted 22 January 2011 - 12:44 AM

Im c6/7 with no finger function. In the beginning (~2yrs) my left hand clasped up and my right hand did ~50% because i used it more. last fall i started tendon transfers. i started with the left hand bc i was weary of the operations and didnt want to lose the ability i had in my right hand if something went wrong. the first surgery was to install a digit widget in my fingers that were completely clasped in order to stretch them out. the second surgery was to actually release them by cutting the tendons in my fingers. the third was the actual transfer and was supposed to connect a tendon in my forearm to those in my hand and hopefully get some "opening" action from flexing my forearm. op #3 wasnt 100% successful so kinda off topic. Anyhow just the opening of my fingers has helped alot with function as i wrap my fingers around stuff and the semi contracted fingers provide a pseudo grip. Works very well with beer bottles. For eating I came across utensils called "Dining with dignity" http://www.diningwithdignity.com/ and would highly recommend their fork and spoon, the knife is akward but better than nothing. The company and I are both in Virginia but I swear its mere coincidence, im just a satisfied customer. They are kinda pricey but worth it I think

Bags

#9 guido

guido

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,216 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L1
  • Injury Date:13-08-2003

Posted 29 January 2011 - 03:44 PM

Sorry to plug DisabledGear.com again, but I have just taken on a great new product for those with a weak grip or poor hand function. And I'm pleased that it's supporting another great product designed and made by a tetraplegic.

Do you know about
Active Hands Gripping Aids? Designed by Rob Smith who has a high injury.

Active Hands General Purpose Gripping Aid (AH1).jpg Active Hands Looped Exercise Gripping Aids.jpg

More photos and a video available via the link.

for UK residents - DisabledGear.com - the FREE-Ads website for 2nd hand disability equipment.

#10 WC_Sage

WC_Sage

• Members
  • Pip
  • 81 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:Not Provided

Posted 03 February 2011 - 04:58 AM

Snowqueeneh,

Regarding "... hoping someone with a C5/6 complete injury figured out how to adapt a lifted Ford truck out there ..." - a fellow named Scott and his team have done the very thing for which you have hoped. You can see his lift mechanism here.

#11 iMADON

iMADON

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 188 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5/6 Quadri(Tetra)plegia
  • Injury Date:30-07-2003

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:00 PM

I use a Milford person hoist in my car for the front passenger seat.
It is better to climb the highest point and fall than never to fly at all.

#12 ClareActiveHands

ClareActiveHands

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5/6 incomplete
  • Injury Date:2009

Posted 11 July 2014 - 10:02 AM

Active Hands gripping aids, although no longer available through the link above, can be bought on the Active Hands website www.activehands.com. Designed by my friend Rob who has a C5/6 SCI. 

• Tetracyclone likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.