Welcome to the Apparelyzed Spinal Cord Injury and Cauda Equina Syndrome Support Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to Apparelyzed, an active and vibrant spinal cord injury and cauda equina syndrome support forum. Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of our spinal cord injury support community by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Talk to others in real time in the Chat Room
We look forward to welcoming you to our community and reading your contributions and questions.

Simon
Forum Administrator.

Photo
- - - - -

Broken Back

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 msczublewski

msczublewski

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:10

Posted 13 October 2010 - 02:13 AM

i was wondering if you have a broken back if you can still walk , i have something moving in my back and i can here it when it moves also the pain is so bad pain meds don't really help much and there is pain shooting down my legs , so i am asking if any knows if you can still walk around if you have a broken back?

#2 JimG

JimG

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T6T7, L5/S1 incomplete

Posted 13 October 2010 - 02:32 AM

i was wondering if you have a broken back if you can still walk , i have something moving in my back and i can here it when it moves also the pain is so bad pain meds don't really help much and there is pain shooting down my legs , so i am asking if any knows if you can still walk around if you have a broken back?

I walked around with a broken back (L5) for 18 months w/o pain....just progessive paralysis/weakness.

Why don't you go see a doctor?
Adversity doesn't build character.....it reveals it.

#3 pistol_pete

pistol_pete

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 723 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T4 complete

Posted 13 October 2010 - 02:33 AM

Possibly. if the spinal cord is undamaged you'll still be able to walk I suppose.

Sounds like you need a doctor and an MRI machine, not a website.
Todays greatest labour saving device is tomorrow
My spine is all wrong but my backbone is strong.

#4 Jess67

Jess67

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T-5/6 Complete / Married

Posted 13 October 2010 - 02:51 AM

Try for MRI. X-ray didn't see my swollen spinal cord for 4 months. The day before I was supposed to go home I got an MRI and found severed cord with busted bone inside the spine. My buddy also wrecked in motocross and had a sore neck. The next day I heard he was life flighted to a hospital with a broken neck. He is all right now. Like the others I would say get it checked right now.

#5 guido

guido

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,220 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L1
  • Injury Date:13-08-2003

Posted 13 October 2010 - 09:07 AM

Go and see a doctor immediately. Why would you wait???
for UK residents - DisabledGear.com - the FREE-Ads website for 2nd hand disability equipment.

#6 Doodle

Doodle

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 884 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L1 incomplete
  • Injury Date:05-08-2005

Posted 13 October 2010 - 10:13 AM

I would say get your ... to a Dr immediately! Not something to mess around with!
Everything will be alright in the end, if it's not alright then it's not the end!

#7 millsonwheels

millsonwheels

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T11 complete paraplegia

Posted 13 October 2010 - 10:26 AM

you could be doing more damage to yourself by wasting time asking us and not going to a hospital or doctor and ask for a CT scan or MRI. It's worth paying to find out NOW than feeling like a real flip because you didn't go and end up in a wheelchair. Don't wait until you can't pee or do no. 2s cos then you'll be up to your knees in it. GO NOW like a ggood boy

#8 ClaraTaylor

ClaraTaylor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:Incomplete T12-L5

Posted 13 October 2010 - 10:40 AM

Step away from the computer AND GET SOMEONE ELSE to get you to the nearest hospital now.

Your body isn't something to mess around with.

Good luck and I hope it's nothing serious.

#9 Apparelyzed

Apparelyzed

The Boss!

• **Admin
  • 4,795 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5/6 Anterior Cord
  • Injury Date:02-01-1992

Posted 13 October 2010 - 03:53 PM

How did you damage your back, and when did it happen?

It's possible to damage your back in so many ways, and every way can give a different outcome.

You really need an X-Ray at the very least, to check for damaged discs, fractures or dislocations.

Regards

Simon.

Posted Image   Posted Image
Follow the Apparelyzed Forum on our Facebook and Twitter feeds.

#10 tyvin

tyvin

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 722 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L-4/L-5

Posted 13 October 2010 - 05:35 PM

The answer is yes and seek immediate medical council even though you say you have pain meds which brings me to the conclusion that you have a doctor. So I would relay my concerns to the doctor if you haven't already.

I walked around with a broken back for quite awhile. Yes the x-ray was done and showed nothing so I lived on pain pills to disguise the condition because the back is so "mysterious" that we really don't know why so many people have back pain. To make a long story short I had been living with a hairline fracture; one that didn't show up on a routine x-ray. When I sought another opinion the that doc did an MRI and voila a fracture had been there the whole time.

My advice to you; "INSIST" on an MRI immediately.

Spinal Cord Injury & Cauda Equina Syndrome Support

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries and cauda equina syndrome to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.