• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 msczublewski

msczublewski

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:10

Posted 13 October 2010 - 02:13 AM

i was wondering if you have a broken back if you can still walk , i have something moving in my back and i can here it when it moves also the pain is so bad pain meds don't really help much and there is pain shooting down my legs , so i am asking if any knows if you can still walk around if you have a broken back?

#2 JimG

JimG

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T6T7, L5/S1 incomplete

Posted 13 October 2010 - 02:32 AM

i was wondering if you have a broken back if you can still walk , i have something moving in my back and i can here it when it moves also the pain is so bad pain meds don't really help much and there is pain shooting down my legs , so i am asking if any knows if you can still walk around if you have a broken back?

I walked around with a broken back (L5) for 18 months w/o pain....just progessive paralysis/weakness.

Why don't you go see a doctor?
Adversity doesn't build character.....it reveals it.

#3 pistol_pete

pistol_pete

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 723 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T4 complete

Posted 13 October 2010 - 02:33 AM

Possibly. if the spinal cord is undamaged you'll still be able to walk I suppose.

Sounds like you need a doctor and an MRI machine, not a website.
Todays greatest labour saving device is tomorrow
My spine is all wrong but my backbone is strong.

#4 Jess67

Jess67

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T-5/6 Complete / Married

Posted 13 October 2010 - 02:51 AM

Try for MRI. X-ray didn't see my swollen spinal cord for 4 months. The day before I was supposed to go home I got an MRI and found severed cord with busted bone inside the spine. My buddy also wrecked in motocross and had a sore neck. The next day I heard he was life flighted to a hospital with a broken neck. He is all right now. Like the others I would say get it checked right now.

#5 guido

guido

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,218 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L1
  • Injury Date:13-08-2003

Posted 13 October 2010 - 09:07 AM

Go and see a doctor immediately. Why would you wait???
for UK residents - DisabledGear.com - the FREE-Ads website for 2nd hand disability equipment.

#6 Doodle

Doodle

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 884 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L1 incomplete
  • Injury Date:05-08-2005

Posted 13 October 2010 - 10:13 AM

I would say get your ... to a Dr immediately! Not something to mess around with!
Everything will be alright in the end, if it's not alright then it's not the end!

#7 millsonwheels

millsonwheels

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T11 complete paraplegia

Posted 13 October 2010 - 10:26 AM

you could be doing more damage to yourself by wasting time asking us and not going to a hospital or doctor and ask for a CT scan or MRI. It's worth paying to find out NOW than feeling like a real flip because you didn't go and end up in a wheelchair. Don't wait until you can't pee or do no. 2s cos then you'll be up to your knees in it. GO NOW like a ggood boy

#8 ClaraTaylor

ClaraTaylor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:Incomplete T12-L5

Posted 13 October 2010 - 10:40 AM

Step away from the computer AND GET SOMEONE ELSE to get you to the nearest hospital now.

Your body isn't something to mess around with.

Good luck and I hope it's nothing serious.

#9 Apparelyzed

Apparelyzed

The Boss!

• **Admin
  • 4,704 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5/6 Anterior Cord
  • Injury Date:02-01-1992

Posted 13 October 2010 - 03:53 PM

How did you damage your back, and when did it happen?

It's possible to damage your back in so many ways, and every way can give a different outcome.

You really need an X-Ray at the very least, to check for damaged discs, fractures or dislocations.

Regards

Simon.

Posted Image   Posted Image
Follow the Apparelyzed Forum on our Facebook and Twitter feeds.

#10 tyvin

tyvin

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 721 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L-4/L-5

Posted 13 October 2010 - 05:35 PM

The answer is yes and seek immediate medical council even though you say you have pain meds which brings me to the conclusion that you have a doctor. So I would relay my concerns to the doctor if you haven't already.

I walked around with a broken back for quite awhile. Yes the x-ray was done and showed nothing so I lived on pain pills to disguise the condition because the back is so "mysterious" that we really don't know why so many people have back pain. To make a long story short I had been living with a hairline fracture; one that didn't show up on a routine x-ray. When I sought another opinion the that doc did an MRI and voila a fracture had been there the whole time.

My advice to you; "INSIST" on an MRI immediately.

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.