Welcome to the Apparelyzed Spinal Cord Injury and Cauda Equina Syndrome Support Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to Apparelyzed, an active and vibrant spinal cord injury and cauda equina syndrome support forum. Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of our spinal cord injury support community by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Talk to others in real time in the Chat Room
We look forward to welcoming you to our community and reading your contributions and questions.

Simon
Forum Administrator.

Photo
- - - - -

Probiotics, What To Expect?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 AL BUNDY

AL BUNDY

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L-1
  • Injury Date:01-26-1997

Posted 21 October 2010 - 01:55 AM

Hi, i just started taking one billion CFUs of probiotic blend 2 days ago. The kind i am taking is Lactobacillus Acidophilus and Bifidobaterium longum blend. Now that I am on them, what can I expect? So far I've noticed a citric acid type of smell to my flatulence. Is this normal and how long before it stops. I thought this stuff was suppossed to help with intestinal gas? anyway, I'd like to hear what others have to say about this stuff.

#2 Brent

Brent

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C 6-7

Posted 21 October 2010 - 04:14 AM

I've used both when trying to treat C Diff. They may have helped but found that drinking milk kefir worked much better with my stomach problems. Anytime that I have felt bloated or had discomfort it really helped me. Also I don't have as much gas.
  • WaveWolf likes this

#3 AL BUNDY

AL BUNDY

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L-1
  • Injury Date:01-26-1997

Posted 21 October 2010 - 05:01 AM

I've used both when trying to treat C Diff. They may have helped but found that drinking milk kefir worked much better with my stomach problems. Anytime that I have felt bloated or had discomfort it really helped me. Also I don't have as much gas.

Milk Kefir. Is it okay to take if your lactose intolerant? I have found that I have a lot of gas from the probiotics but i've read that it should ease up after your body gets use to it. Has anyone else experienced this?

#4 davjed

davjed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,354 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T12-L1 Incomplete
  • Injury Date:17-12-1961

Posted 21 October 2010 - 04:51 PM

I use them on a regular basis but I don't think you'll notice the difference unless you are taking antibiotics or dealing with C. diff. Maybe a little more gas, but then mine smells like roses!!!!
"DON'T TREAD ON ME"

#5 Brent

Brent

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C 6-7

Posted 21 October 2010 - 07:58 PM

I'm not lactose intolerant so I'm not sure how it would effect you. I've read people's experiences that have drank kefir and have overcome lactose intolerance. There's a lot of information across the internet about kefir.

My own opinion, the live bacteria are better than what you get out of the pills. It's pretty cheap too. Find some grains and add to milk. You get fresh bacteria everyday.

#6 photogal

photogal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T4-6 Transverse Myelitis

Posted 24 October 2010 - 06:59 PM

I've taken 20 billion CFU probiotics daily for the last 4 years. The only effect I've ever notice is a headache or two if I miss a day. I'm also lactose intolerant and haven't noticed any negative effects - although 4 years out, my lactose intolerance is getting better. Whether that's from the probiotics, though, I wouldn't know. When you take a probiotic it's job is to regulate the bacteria in your intestines, so my best guess for the gas would be that the levels of different bacteria in you intestines are changing leading to the unusual odor. (I'm not a dr. though so that's just my best guess).
  • WaveWolf likes this

#7 lissalyon

lissalyon

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:t10
  • Injury Date:02-06-1975

Posted 03 July 2014 - 07:50 AM

Hi Brent.

Are you still making and taking kefir.

It's still pretty unusual in our country and seems much more acceptable in yours.

You can get grains off the Internet. I was fortunate to be given mine. A bit like kombucha in the late 80s. Another superfood by the way.

Anyone got a spare scoby they would like to donate?

Anyone making their own sauerkraut .

Just put our first batch down on Saturday. So the jury is still out on that one.

Would love to hear anyone else's views on these three super goods.

#8 lissalyon

lissalyon

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 06:31 PM

Well sauerkraut all made. It's supposed to be a super, superfood.

It's not my favourite taste. I'm not a big vinegar fan so I have a little nibble of it throughout the day.

Going to put down some fermented peppers tonight.

No doubt theyll taste pretty much the same lol!
  • alflyhigh likes this

#9 Tetracyclone

Tetracyclone

Super Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,001 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C-5-7 incomplete
  • Injury Date:27-05-2008

Posted 09 July 2014 - 07:21 PM

Well sauerkraut all made. It's supposed to be a super, superfood.

It's not my favourite taste. I'm not a big vinegar fan so I have a little nibble of it throughout the day.

Going to put down some fermented peppers tonight.

No doubt theyll taste pretty much the same lol!

Yes, sauerkraut (fresh) packs quite a punch.  i was taught to make a drink from cabbage- you grate it and put it in a bowl, covered with fresh water.  Add a teaspoon of garlic powder.  Cover it with a plate and wait 3 days.  Strain and drink and it does not taste bad.  

This is powerful stuff and can make your house smell unbearable.  I hope you can store it in place removed  from the house, a bit.  I did not mind it because I do not mind cabbage, but some others we badly put off.

#10 RollingRadio

RollingRadio

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 264 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:MMD TYPE !, HNA,,CIDP
  • Injury Date:04-05-2004

Posted 09 July 2014 - 08:52 PM

Last time i went shopping out of everything i bought,The sales clerk got "butterfingers" when loading the last item into the Shopping bag that i carry on the back of my Chair (made by Adaptabledesigs.com and its inexpensive ,Holds a lot of stuff and has reflective stripping so you are seen).

And that item was Korean Kimchi ( Cabbage buried in clay pots underground and allowed to ferment for several years with garlic ginger hot peppers etc...) i like the stuff with chicken and black bean burritos but it quickly emptied everyones sinuses And everyone in the front register area abandoned there groceries and left,Its got an unmistakable fragrance that most people find offensive ( I think it smells a lot better than my last Amtrack ride where someone clogged the toilet with Shall we say multiple babes diapers containing "liquid stool" Its moments like that that you wish the bathroom was in another train car aside from the one you are occupying,even my service dog was gaging on the diaper stench.

Peace

"It is far easier to Raise a strong child than to Fix a Broken Man"

#11 lissalyon

lissalyon

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 09:03 PM

Just put a large jar of Pepperkraut down.

I'm taking poetic licence here as pepper cabbage doesn't make sense but I think you'll know what I mean.

I've layered red and yellow sweet peppers with dill, parsley and rosemary and whizzed the green ones in the blender to use for the juice.

It looks fabulous.

Just wish I didn't have to eat the blooming thing!

#12 supercrip13

supercrip13

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,140 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:S1-T4 incomplete
  • Injury Date:13-06-1963

Posted 21 July 2014 - 04:25 PM

Just put a large jar of Pepperkraut down.

I'm taking poetic licence here as pepper cabbage doesn't make sense but I think you'll know what I mean.

I've layered red and yellow sweet peppers with dill, parsley and rosemary and whizzed the green ones in the blender to use for the juice.

It looks fabulous.

Just wish I didn't have to eat the blooming thing!

Rather you than me! Irate the taste of peppers and fermented ones sound even more grim. I will stick to the pill forms of probiotics, thanks, :-)

Over the hill but refusing to wear roller skates!

#13 lissalyon

lissalyon

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 08:50 AM

The peppers are amazing. Much sweeter than sauerkraut. I too used the pills in jars and didn't see much improvement but the fermented foods have helped enormously.

If the pills stop working, you know what to do lol!

#14 supercrip13

supercrip13

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:23 PM

The peppers are amazing. Much sweeter than sauerkraut. I too used the pills in jars and didn't see much improvement but the fermented foods have helped enormously.

If the pills stop working, you know what to do lol!

shudder...shudder...

#15 WileyOne

WileyOne

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:c-6
  • Injury Date:28-9-1999

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:13 PM

Last time i went shopping out of everything i bought,The sales clerk got "butterfingers" when loading the last item into the Shopping bag that i carry on the back of my Chair (made by Adaptabledesigs.com and its inexpensive ,Holds a lot of stuff and has reflective stripping so you are seen).

And that item was Korean Kimchi ( Cabbage buried in clay pots underground and allowed to ferment for several years with garlic ginger hot peppers etc...) i like the stuff with chicken and black bean burritos but it quickly emptied everyones sinuses And everyone in the front register area abandoned there groceries and left,Its got an unmistakable fragrance that most people find offensive ( I think it smells a lot better than my last Amtrack ride where someone clogged the toilet with Shall we say multiple babes diapers containing "liquid stool" Its moments like that that you wish the bathroom was in another train car aside from the one you are occupying,even my service dog was gaging on the diaper stench.

Peace

Kimchi is great especially as a probiotic, the only problem I have with it is the gas that it causes. I make my own sauerkraut too. The question about lactose intolerance and kefir. The grains feed on the lactose/sugars in the milk so I'ma guessing that there is less lactose in kefir, it's being absorbed by the grains. If you want a really good probiotic, find a farmer that uses really sterile procedures and doesn't pasteurize their milk, raw milk can't be beat. Probably be wise to find a farmer that drinks the raw milk also.

Personally, I don't trust the pill forms. When I had c-diff I was spending hundreds on the ones that claim to be the best. It wasn't until I started the drinking kefir and consuming other fermented foods that I was able to get over it. I corresponded with a lady that had had c-diff and she didn't use any prescribed medications to treat herself. She changed her diet and also included a lot of fermented foods.        

• Tetracyclone and DawnMelody like this

#16 A trophy guy

A trophy guy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,752 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T-10/12 (ischemic)
  • Injury Date:29-04-2000

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:02 AM

PROBIOTICS, WHAT TO EXPECT?

A noticeable lightening of the wallet.
  • AnnieM2, WileyOne and MsRooster like this
Blessed but Cursed

#17 WileyOne

WileyOne

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:20 AM

This has nothing to do with probiotics but personally find it to be good nutrition. I recently was in the hospital with a cellulitis infection, had to have I.V. antibiotics. Anyways, when I returned home a few days afterwards, I noticed that my catheter was completely white, I use a silicone catheter and had never had this happen. I knew it wasn't an infection, I didn't have any symptoms.

For years I have taken a tablespoon of raw honey with a half of a teaspoon of cinnamon every day. After coming home I had forgotten to take it, still kind of drained from the infection. I started back as soon as I realized that I hadn't. My urine started clearing a little the next day and now is completely normal. Can't directly say that the honey and cinnamon took care of it but can't say for sure that it didn't.      

#18 lissalyon

lissalyon

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:58 AM

Peace

Kimchi is great especially as a probiotic, the only problem I have with it is the gas that it causes. I make my own sauerkraut too. The question about lactose intolerance and kefir. The grains feed on the lactose/sugars in the milk so I'ma guessing that there is less lactose in kefir, it's being absorbed by the grains. If you want a really good probiotic, find a farmer that uses really sterile procedures and doesn't pasteurize their milk, raw milk can't be beat. Probably be wise to find a farmer that drinks the raw milk also.

Personally, I don't trust the pill forms. When I had c-diff I was spending hundreds on the ones that claim to be the best. It wasn't until I started the drinking kefir and consuming other fermented foods that I was able to get over it. I corresponded with a lady that had had c-diff and she didn't use any prescribed medications to treat herself. She changed her diet and also included a lot of fermented foods.

There's only about 25 farms in the uk that sell raw unpasteurised milk and we live 40 miles from one. I got 3 litres of lovely golden creamy jersey cow milk and put two in the freezer. It made lovely kefir. I got about 10 -14 days worth out of it. All those probiotics for about £3-50p

( leaving aside petrol costs, lunch in the excellent tea room there and their jersey ice cream!)

It definitely is the way to go. I don't particularly like eating sauerkraut but eating a small piece every so often is so much better than being I'll.

I too used to get a lot of gunk in my Cath. I don't now but I don't know what to attribute it too as I've changed so many things.

Edited by lissalyon, 23 July 2014 - 07:58 AM.

#19 lissalyon

lissalyon

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 08:29 AM

I think kefir and fermented foods are much more a European and American/ Asian tradition than a British one.this thread has had more American contributors than British ones.

It's a shame. I'd like to spread the word.

It could help a lot of people.

Even though we are disabled and especially because we are disabled we need to take charge of our health as much as possible. Try to keep prescription drugs to an absolute minimum and build up your immune system as much as possible.
I don't particularly like drinking hot water with freshly squeezed lemon in it first thing on a morning but if it alkalises my body and keeps gall stones at bay then I'll do it.

I don't particularly like drinking the juice of kale, broccoli, spinach and cabbage for lunch but because it's rich in chlorophyll and makes good blood then I'll do it.

I don't particularly like eating kefir, sauerkraut and fermented foods which are unnatural to my lazy sugar laden western palate but if they boost my immune system and keep nasty bugs away and keep me out of hospital and off bed rest then yes I'll do it.

I don't particularly like having a headache and toughing it out and not taking anything for it as I feel painkillers jiggered up my digestion system but having gone through the misery of IBS and feeling like I'm coming out the other side I don't want to go backwards.

And finally when I got badly bitten on the legs about 6 weeks ago and it looked like cellulitis was starting to develop believe me it would have been so much easier to have taken antibiotics than go down the alternate route with aloe Vera , homeopathy and so on because I didn't want to jigger up my new
Shiny digestive system, but I persevered because I want to get myself up to full wellness.

At the end of the day it's up to us which choices we decide to make.

Don't get me wrong I'm no goody two shoes. I had a couple of ice creams last week. A couple of g and t's . Life is for living. When I had pneumonia I was very grateful for the antibiotics that saved my life. Everything has its place and now maybe it's time after 42 years in a chair to have a look and see what else is going on. What can I do to make myself stronger. Immune system more efficient so I don't get brought down by the slightest little bug and so on.
  • DawnMelody likes this

#20 A trophy guy

A trophy guy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,752 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T-10/12 (ischemic)
  • Injury Date:29-04-2000

Posted 23 July 2014 - 02:08 PM

Thats all woo (and placebo effect). I dont suppose you have a reliable cite that shows ANY scientific credibility behind the things you've mentioned?

Edited by A trophy guy, 23 July 2014 - 02:10 PM.

Blessed but Cursed

#21 lissalyon

lissalyon

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:14 AM

Thats all woo (and placebo effect). I dont suppose you have a reliable cite that shows ANY scientific credibility behind the things you've mentioned?

Was this reply to me?

I'll take it as it was meant for me and apologies if it wasn't.

I see you are 34 and were injured at age 20. Snap!

If I wind the clock back 30 years till I was 32 I could tell you that I was much fitter and more able despite having three children under five years old at that time.

Time and lots of prescription drugs have taken their toll. I am now searching for absolute wellness in other areas.

If you have good health now, I hope you remain blessed with it.
  • A trophy guy likes this

#22 WileyOne

WileyOne

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 10:54 PM

Peace

There's only about 25 farms in the uk that sell raw unpasteurised milk and we live 40 miles from one. I got 3 litres of lovely golden creamy jersey cow milk and put two in the freezer. It made lovely kefir. I got about 10 -14 days worth out of it. All those probiotics for about £3-50p

( leaving aside petrol costs, lunch in the excellent tea room there and their jersey ice cream!)

It definitely is the way to go. I don't particularly like eating sauerkraut but eating a small piece every so often is so much better than being I'll.

I too used to get a lot of gunk in my Cath. I don't now but I don't know what to attribute it too as I've changed so many things.

It's illegal to sale raw milk here, lissalyon where I live. The options that we have are to raise your own cattle or a cow share. While growing I helped out a dairymen on his farm and got started on drinking raw milk. Just me, I would rather have the raw milk over pasteurized for the flavor alone.

The lady that I purchased my grains from uses goat's milk to ferment kefir. I'd like to try it to see how it compares.       

#23 WileyOne

WileyOne

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 11:15 PM

A study is being done now on the effectiveness of kefir over the pill form probiotics. Look at cdiff.org and read the comments about how people have overcome the infection by using fermented foods over what the market pushes. As far as the honey and cinnamon goes scientific proof, I've not seen any but have read other's experiences with it. For me, I was on last resort antibiotics for uti's and since changing my eating habits I've not had a uti in 9 years.   

#24 lissalyon

lissalyon

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 11:01 PM

That's good news Wiley one. I take cinammon and turmeric every day.

Had a laugh at my daughters . She'd had her kefir in the fridge for two days. It,ll be fine I said, I've left minein the fridge for two days , it just slows it down. In fact I dont think you get quite such a tart kefir.
So I opened her jar. It certainly did nt look or smell like mine. It looked like cottage cheese.
She kept saying how quick it was growing and that she kept throwing some out.

Well I think she'd thrown her grains out. It had a tang of kefir but definitely smelled cheesy .
My grains look like pasta shells or fans.

She promptly threw the lot in the bin.

Edited by lissalyon, 27 July 2014 - 11:03 PM.

#25 G Edward

G Edward

• Members
  • Pip
  • 96 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T5 complete-asia a
  • Injury Date:07-22-2012

Posted 06 August 2014 - 03:58 PM

So far as I know, at this point there is no conclusive study that probiotics or kefir are an effective treatment for C Diff. As has been mentioned in other posts, it is likely that studies are under way. With that said, there is lot of positive anecdotal information out there. The hypothesis is a sound one if enough live bacteria survive the stomach acid to make it into intestines. The diversity of bacteria is also important if you are to expect the best result. The idea is to replace bacteria that broad spectrum antibiotics have killed off. A well balanced flora creates a competition for the available nutrients in the gut which deprives C Diff the opportunity to dominate the process.

Gas is a byproduct of digesting fiber. It is also a byproduct of swallowing air with your food and of course drinking carbonated drinks. If you are taking in a good amount of fiber you are going to have gas. 

Given that information I decided to try some of the new probiotic formulas with 30 billion live count (at the time of packaging) with 8 strains or more of bacteria. Two weeks in and there is definitely an improvement. 

I am going to try kefir in short order. While I am lactose sensitive my research has found that the bacteria in milk kefir consume most of the lactose in the fermentation process leaving the end product pretty close to lactose free. I can always discontinue it if it doesn't work out. Again, most of the information regarding kefir being better than probiotic supplements is anecdotal. And again, there is a lot of positive information out there than I feel I would be remiss if I didn't at least give it a try.

We will see where it all goes. Right now the improvement I have seen this far is encouraging.

G Ed

• Tetracyclone likes this

#26 Tetracyclone

Tetracyclone

Super Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,001 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C-5-7 incomplete
  • Injury Date:27-05-2008

Posted 06 August 2014 - 09:03 PM

Whenever my gas gets stinkier than normal (like something died inside), then I get back to probiotics and the problem clears up quickly.

#27 supercrip13

supercrip13

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 10:44 PM

Here in the UK at least we are warned about eating unpasteurised anything, if we have a lowered immunity, and pregnant women and the elderly in particular are advised against it, due to the possibility of harmful bacteria being contained within the product. That said, about 20 yrs ago I tried unpasteurised sheep's milk on a friend's farm, and it was the most delicious milk I've ever had.

As someone with cancer I am told I have a lowered immune system so am very wary about unpasteurised products, hence my reliance on probiotics in pill form. I do take natural products which are beneficial to my immune system and that are high in antioxidants such as manuka honey, Siberian ginseng, citrus fruits etc.

But I avoid turmeric (even though I am convinced of its benefits) as it's known to cause clotting difficulties. In fact, if you take it supplementally you are warned to stop at lease two weeks prior to surgery. The same goes for bromaline. 

I do not understand this latest craze for juicing everything, though. In doing so we miss out on so many useful 'by products' when eating the fruit/veg complete, for example, much of the antioxidant benefit within an orange is contained within the membrane/pith holding the segments, so by only having it in juice form you lose all that.

Spinal Cord Injury & Cauda Equina Syndrome Support

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries and cauda equina syndrome to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.