•  
  • Forum Help

Welcome to the Apparelyzed Spinal Cord Injury and Cauda Equina Syndrome Support Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to Apparelyzed, an active and vibrant spinal cord injury and cauda equina syndrome support forum. Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of our spinal cord injury support community by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Talk to others in real time in the Chat Room
Don't forget to follow the latest spinal cord injury news articles on our Facebook and Twitter feeds.

Posted Image Posted Image

We look forward to welcoming you to our community and reading your contributions and questions.

Simon
Forum Administrator.

Photo
- - - - -

Bleeding After Cathing

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Fairygirl72

Fairygirl72

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:Wife/Caregiver C5/C6

Posted 30 October 2010 - 06:12 PM

Hello everyone I need some help. First off my husband has been a quad for over 3 years now and I always cath him minus the few times I need to leave and his mom comes over to do it. Yesterday morning I cathed him and right after he was bleeding from the tip of his penis, and it didn't stop right away, scared the crap outta me. When I cathed him the rest of the day...nothing completely normal no blood cloths. Then this morning the same thing only it lasted a bit longer. I haven't cathed him again yet today, but I'm really scared. He does have an UTI right now but before when he's had them the blood is in his urine...this time is different, it's not in the urine it's on the outside of the tube....any ideas...suggestion and just how serious is this? Thanks!

#2 isobar

isobar

Advanced Member

• Closed Account
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,461 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:t12-l1/incomplete/

Posted 30 October 2010 - 10:41 PM

Hi,

If you feel resistance while feeding the cath "dont force it into his bladder" try at a later time when the cath passes easily through urethra and up into his bladder....could cause trauma and bleeding. Make sure the cath is well lubed and use a new one each time. Maybe a reaction to type of cath used.

LITUT = "Life Is The Ultimate Teacher"

#3 Millard

Millard

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,060 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5-C6 Tetraplegia
  • Injury Date:20-07-1967

Posted 01 November 2010 - 09:44 PM

Hello everyone I need some help.  First off my husband has been a quad for over 3 years now and I always cath him minus the few times I need to leave and his mom comes over to do it.  Yesterday morning I cathed him and right after he was bleeding from the tip of his penis, and it didn't stop right away, scared the crap outta me.  When I cathed him the rest of the day...nothing completely normal no blood cloths.  Then this morning the same thing only it lasted a bit longer.  I haven't cathed him again yet today, but I'm really scared.  He does have an UTI right now but before when he's had them the blood is in his urine...this time is different, it's not in the urine it's on the outside of the tube....any ideas...suggestion and just how serious is this?  Thanks!

Hello,

You could try a catheter with a Coude (curved) tip.  This is designed for men and is especially helpful during uti's or if he has an enlarged prostate.  When you feel the catheter stop before entering the bladder, don't force it.  Many times the bladder stem with spasm and tighten up.  Just apply gentle pressure and wait.  Usually in a minute or less the muscle will fatigue and the catheter will easily enter.  It appears you are doing everything right but takes a while to experience different events that occur.

Good luck.

Millard
"Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid!" - John Wayne

#4 Fairygirl72

Fairygirl72

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:Wife/Caregiver C5/C6

Posted 01 November 2010 - 11:37 PM

Thanks! So far there hasn't been any major bleeding and as far as forcing it in I never do! He had a Dr. apt next week so we'll let the Dr. know. I just wanted to know if there was any real danger!

Spinal Cord Injury & Cauda Equina Syndrome Support

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries and cauda equina syndrome to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.