•  
  • Forum Help

Welcome to the Apparelyzed Spinal Cord Injury and Cauda Equina Syndrome Support Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to Apparelyzed, an active and vibrant spinal cord injury and cauda equina syndrome support forum. Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of our spinal cord injury support community by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Talk to others in real time in the Chat Room
Don't forget to follow the latest spinal cord injury news articles on our Facebook and Twitter feeds.

Posted Image Posted Image

We look forward to welcoming you to our community and reading your contributions and questions.

Simon
Forum Administrator.

Photo
- - - - -

Injury And Lawsuit

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Poll: Did you file a lawsuit as a result of your accident? (32 member(s) have cast votes)

Did you file a lawsuit as a result of your accident?

1. yes (17 votes [53.12%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 53.12%

2. no (15 votes [46.88%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 46.88%

What kind?

1. motor vehicle (16 votes [50.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. on the job injury (1 votes [3.12%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.12%

3. medical malpractice (2 votes [6.25%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.25%

4. premises injury (2 votes [6.25%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.25%

5. other (5 votes [15.62%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.62%

6. I did not have a lawsuit (6 votes [18.75%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.75%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 twentieth

twentieth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 124 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T6 complete

Posted 07 November 2010 - 03:32 AM

I am curious about how many of your injuries were the fault of someone else and did you sue? I got drunk and wrecked my motorbike. Nobody to be mad at but myself....

Edited by twentieth, 07 November 2010 - 03:34 AM.

"Question every word, every phrase of every alleged truth that is fed to you...for what is true for the master is rarely true for the slave." Gerry Spence.

#2 Travelling Blackbird

Travelling Blackbird

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,011 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:Head, T6 incomplete

Posted 07 November 2010 - 11:23 AM

I unsuccessfully sued the guy who attacked me.

#3 Smileyblue

Smileyblue

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T8 complete

Posted 07 November 2010 - 12:58 PM

How do you sue the minibus taxi that forced you to swerve off the road to avoid a head on when 1) you can't remember the actual accident and only have what you can piece together from flashbacks, witnesses, and educated guesses; and 2) not one of the buggers that caused it even bothered to stop..

I am attempting to claim from the Road Accident Fund though, but it could take up to 7 years, IF they even entertain my claim..

What's important is not what happens to us, but how we react to what happens to us..
God gave us two ends, one to think with, n one to sit on.. Success depends on which one u use.. Heads you win, tails u lose..

#4 Travelling Blackbird

Travelling Blackbird

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,011 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:Head, T6 incomplete

Posted 08 November 2010 - 12:07 AM

How do you sue the minibus taxi that forced you to swerve off the road to avoid a head on when 1) you can't remember the actual accident and only have what you can piece together from flashbacks, witnesses, and educated guesses;

That was basically why my lawsuit was unsuccessful.

#5 Faith_Bynum

Faith_Bynum

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C3-C4

Posted 18 April 2011 - 03:25 AM

My parent's sued GMC...

#6 Soryfam

Soryfam

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 938 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T5-T10 incomplete

Posted 18 April 2011 - 04:19 AM

We looked into suing the ER doctor who at first dismissed my syptoms and accused me of being a drug seeker, however the lawyers we spoke to felt that every doctor involved along the way would have to be incuded in the suit, and wasn't willing to do this, so we didn't sue.

Sandy
Sandy

#7 Simba

Simba

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 981 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C7C8 / Husband

Posted 18 April 2011 - 08:30 AM

We looked into suing the ER doctor who at first dismissed my syptoms and accused me of being a drug seeker, however the lawyers we spoke to felt that every doctor involved along the way would have to be incuded in the suit, and wasn't willing to do this, so we didn't sue.

Sandy

Respect to you Sandy, it would be a shame to hold people accountable who were not responsible for the incorrect diagnosis or dismissal of your symptoms when obviously it was more the case of the ER doctor being the problem. It is sad that you were treated like a 'drug seeker' when you had a genuine medical problem that deserved attention.

Edited by Simba, 18 April 2011 - 08:35 AM.

#8 mike13

mike13

• Members
  • Pip
  • 106 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T-12/L-1/L-2

Posted 12 July 2011 - 05:48 PM

I was in a motorcycle wreck with my Wife, in which someone ran us off the road.
And left the seen of the accident, and then the cops either did'nt look for him
or did'nt care to be bothered, but I had no one to sue.
But then again my EX-in-laws tried to sue me over it...
The Life Insurance company investigated me, like I killed my Wife, and ended up like this.
YEP, that was the plan...

#9 dreamerr

dreamerr

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 220 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L4/L5 Cauda Equina
  • Injury Date:11-15-2006

Posted 16 October 2011 - 03:57 AM

I wonder how many actually were successful in there suits and if they really got enough to live for the rest of there lives. With all the care and equipment we need it is a lot of money. I read in another thread the total award was a million. That is just ridiculous.
I know I will always have a seat:)

#10 munkypoop

munkypoop

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 667 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C4/5 incomplete quad
  • Injury Date:10-05-2007

Posted 27 April 2012 - 04:34 AM

Accident was a car accident, my lawsuit was against the bar. I got drunk at before getting into the passenger seat of the vehicle. We drove into a brick wall doing 70 mph in a 30, without slowing down! In the film footage at the bar. We were sitting in the only place in the building that has no cameras on it so I didn't win much only $230,000. But my lawyer got half of that!
Imagine what I do when I need to laugh or feel better. Imagine a purple hippo standing up straight wearing pink clown shoes and juggling lime green Jell-O squares!

#11 SequinScandal

SequinScandal

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T1
  • Injury Date:17-06-2006

Posted 27 April 2012 - 04:38 AM

Well I got shot twice. Never even knew I could sue until it was too late....The guy didn't have anything so what would I have got anyways?

Spinal Cord Injury & Cauda Equina Syndrome Support

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries and cauda equina syndrome to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.