Stickman

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:Spinal cord tumor T8-T10
  • Injury Date:25-08-2006

Posted 28 December 2010 - 06:35 PM

My legs are so spastic i can hardly get dressed in bed without help anymore, wondering if anyone had botox injections in their legs and did it help? Thanks

#2 cando

cando

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:Wife of C6-C7 Incomplete

Posted 28 December 2010 - 07:11 PM

My husband had the botox injections, and sadly...we did not see any improvement.

#3 Smileyblue

Smileyblue

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T8 complete

Posted 28 December 2010 - 10:28 PM

Botox is an option, depending on whether they can identify exactly which muscles are spasming.. The cost increases for each additional muscle group/injection they need to administer.. It also doesn't last forever, only 5 years if you're lucky..

I've decided to have the nerve cut.. Drastic measure, but I think its going to be worth it in the end.. Its about quality of living for me now.. My spasms have become so bad that I need 24hr care as I can't even sit up or turn on my own anymore..

Good luck..

What's important is not what happens to us, but how we react to what happens to us..
God gave us two ends, one to think with, n one to sit on.. Success depends on which one u use.. Heads you win, tails u lose..

#4 MTB John

MTB John

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,291 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C6, Incomplete
  • Injury Date:19-02-2010

Posted 29 December 2010 - 12:42 AM

It also doesn't last forever, only 5 years if you're lucky..

I think you mean months..

I have had Rec. Fem. (the largest quad muscle) done a couple of times. I'm a walker but the tone was so bad in Rec. Fem. that I could not exercise my little thigh muscle. So during rehab they nuked it. It did help me build up some strength and a little more function. But by the sounds of things yours is a a more global problem as in, lots of muscles spasming together, so I do not think it will help you.

Hate to say it but you may have to up the drugs.

Good luck,
J
Out of the gloom a voice said unto me, "Smile and be happy, things could be worse." So I smiled and was happy and behold things did get worse.

#5 ericr

ericr

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:c5-c6 incomplete

Posted 29 December 2010 - 05:49 AM

I actually got botox injections today for the 2nd time. I really liked it not so much for the spasms but to help with tone. In my case I sit in my chair for long periods of time and my legs seem to pull together. So our main area's we do the injections are in my adductors to stop my legs from binding together. this also helps the boys from bieng squished as well as hygene. I also get injections in my hamstrings to help with putting my legs in the car and my calves and ankles for drop foot. I do still get spasms but not as much reason bieng is unless you do your quads your still going to spasm but if you do your quads this will hurt you from ever standing. The one good thing with botox is that it does wear off after 3 months so if you dont like it then dont go back and after the first time you really can tweak it to how you react to it. I was scheduled to get a baclofen pump to be implanted and opted to continue with botox. botox is not harmful to your body, does not damage nerves or stop muscle development. The pump is a surgery and constant drugs and tired feeling. this is 1 hr of needles you hardly feel nd you done and good for 3-4 months. Try you have nothing to loose.

Dont know where you live but my Dr. is Dr. Rubin @ University of Miami he is a neurosurgeon and professor at UM has been doing botox since 1996 as well as clinical trials on bocolfen pumps and botox in sci as well as bieng affiliated with the Miami project. well worth the drive this guy is super down to earth and I love picking his brain everytime I am down there.

#6 Stickman

Stickman

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 06:15 AM

I actually got botox injections today for the 2nd time. I really liked it not so much for the spasms but to help with tone. In my case I sit in my chair for long periods of time and my legs seem to pull together. So our main area's we do the injections are in my adductors to stop my legs from binding together. this also helps the boys from bieng squished as well as hygene. I also get injections in my hamstrings to help with putting my legs in the car and my calves and ankles for drop foot. I do still get spasms but not as much reason bieng is unless you do your quads your still going to spasm but if you do your quads this will hurt you from ever standing. The one good thing with botox is that it does wear off after 3 months so if you dont like it then dont go back and after the first time you really can tweak it to how you react to it. I was scheduled to get a baclofen pump to be implanted and opted to continue with botox. botox is not harmful to your body, does not damage nerves or stop muscle development. The pump is a surgery and constant drugs and tired feeling. this is 1 hr of needles you hardly feel nd you done and good for 3-4 months. Try you have nothing to loose.

Dont know where you live but my Dr. is Dr. Rubin @ University of Miami he is a neurosurgeon and professor at UM has been doing botox since 1996 as well as clinical trials on bocolfen pumps and botox in sci as well as bieng affiliated with the Miami project. well worth the drive this guy is super down to earth and I love picking his brain everytime I am down there.

Eric, do you use kfo's to stand? I do and can walk with a walker but like you said, my adductors lock up and wont let me swing my legs, and my hamstrings lock out too. I live near UF which is were my neuro people are but will think about going down to Miami. Thanks for the info.

#7 MTB John

MTB John

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,291 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C6, Incomplete
  • Injury Date:19-02-2010

Posted 29 December 2010 - 08:54 AM

botox is not harmful to your body, does not damage nerves or stop muscle development.

My Physio came back from a seminar on Botox a couple of months ago where they likened long term use of botex on muscle to the Ukraine after Chernobyl. If you can walk you might want to do a little more research first..
J
Out of the gloom a voice said unto me, "Smile and be happy, things could be worse." So I smiled and was happy and behold things did get worse.

#8 ericr

ericr

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:c5-c6 incomplete

Posted 30 December 2010 - 05:18 AM

I dont use KFO'S but cant stand or take steps on my own so I cant really relate.Im sure UF or Shands has a good dr. who does botox.
in regards to the Botox and muscle weakening I actually asked my dr. about that yesterday and he said the muscle weakness is minimal and if you workout daily your muscles will get strong cause your isolating the movement to the muscle without using tone to help. Plus when it comes to long term sitting in your chair there's nothing worse than bieng uncomfortable, my legs felt great today sitting in my chair over 12 hrs. straight.

#9 Gibbo

Gibbo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:t8/9 comp.

Posted 06 January 2011 - 01:41 AM

I've decided to have the nerve cut.. Drastic measure, but I think its going to be worth it in the end.. Its about quality of living for me now.. My spasms have become so bad that I need 24hr care as I can't even sit up or turn on my own anymore..

Good luck..

Have you had your nerves cut yet or not? I have thought about this but did not know it was an option.

#10 Stickman

Stickman

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 06:19 AM

Well I got the injections done in the adductor's on tuesday, hopefully we'll see an improvement next week.

#11 megatrig

megatrig

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 445 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5/6 sensory incomplete

Posted 29 January 2011 - 03:24 PM

Let us know how this goes! I hope it works! As I looked at this for spasm I saw how incrediibly efecive the injecctions can be!!! More anon
Life is just to short not to have fun!

#12 pinkcloud

pinkcloud

Intermediate Member

• Closed Account
  • PipPip
  • 1,234 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:t7 incomplete

Posted 01 February 2011 - 12:24 PM

Well I got the injections done in the adductor's on tuesday, hopefully we'll see an improvement next week.

I am due for the botox, let us know the outcomes please :)

#13 Stickman

Stickman

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 05:21 AM

It has been 10 days now and im starting to see weakness in the adductors, it was easier keeping my legs apart to take care of hygiene and my PT said it was a little easier to stretch them out, so going good so far. will update more next week!

#14 pinkcloud

pinkcloud

Intermediate Member

• Closed Account
  • PipPip
  • 1,234 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:t7 incomplete

Posted 05 March 2011 - 08:02 AM

It has been 10 days now and im starting to see weakness in the adductors, it was easier keeping my legs apart to take care of hygiene and my PT said it was a little easier to stretch them out, so going good so far. will update more next week!

I had the botox :recourse: Stung like hell, I cried and for 2 days I felt violently sick. It was so worth it. Now, my back feels as if it was a bicycle chain that had become stuck with rust, and the botox was the oil that lossened it :specool: It dosnt take any of the extreme pain away when sitting or standing or walking - but at least now the pain when lying down as been reduced by 80 per cent.

Well worth having just for this reason :scooter:

#15 M Tustain

M Tustain

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T6 incomplete

Posted 05 March 2011 - 08:36 AM

I had Botox in my adductors and it lasted probably 4-5 weeks! They will only inject every 3 months so it's pointless for me!

#16 barbara9999

barbara9999

• Members
  • Pip
  • 92 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:inc c2-c6 & BSS
  • Injury Date:25-03-2010

Posted 05 March 2011 - 10:11 AM

i had botox for the first time end of novenber for the muscle from my elbow to palm and three fingers which is very stiff, vibrating, tight etc. after the first week i did not see much difference but then i noticed weakness in the fingers in trying to grasp but the strong spascticiy was disappearing and then for the next two months my hand and arm just felt more natural and wasn't so horribly irritating. i am scheduled to have the series of injections again soon. i can hardly wait as the arm palm fingers are damn irritating again. my dr requested approval from medicare and it was approved for 4 times a year. i belive the injections are about $500 for each treatment but free for me with medicare and supp insuance. i am very positive about treatment and it has made a big difference in the quality of life.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.