Parachute

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C 3-4 incomplete

Posted 13 February 2011 - 08:33 PM

Dear Apparelysed Member

In March 2009, I was severely injured playing rugby. I went in for a tackle and suffered a spinal cord injury which left me immediately paralysed from the neck down. I was in hospital for 4 months. Shortly after my accident, I was moved to Pinderfields Spinal Injury Unit. A disc had pushed onto my spinal cord at level C3/4 in my neck. This meant that I was paralysed from the point of injury downwards. I lost the use and sensation in all of my body except my head. I was on complete bed rest for 6 weeks, lying completely flat. As I could do nothing for myself, people had to feed me, wash me and even brush my teeth!! I had physiotherapy almost every day, and even though I could not feel them moving my legs and arms, I looked forward to it, as I knew this is what would help me to recover. Feeling and movement came back very gradually. It was as small as moving a toe and a thumb to progressing to moving a finger and a foot. It was slow, but every improvement was a good sign.

The day my bed rest was over, I was hoisted into a wheelchair. This was an exciting moment for all of us, as I was actually out of my bed for the first time since my accident. My excitement was soon dampened as I had built up in my head that as soon as I got in the chair, I could practice wheeling about to build up my strength. I couldn’t even move the chair an inch!! I worked and worked until I could wheel the chair up the corridor. I set myself targets every day as I wanted to be able to walk again. Another major target was the fact that I wanted to walk down the aisle as I was due to get married in Jersey on 1st August. At times, people doubted that this would happen as most people with a spinal cord injury never walk again but I was determined to get to Jersey for my wedding day. The journey to walking was a slow process as I had to build up my strength to even transfer from the bed to the wheelchair, to turn over in bed, to do simple things like feed myself and blow my own nose. These are all things we take for granted but I had to learn to do them again.

I was finally ready to stand in a standing frame but could only do it for minutes at a time. I went to the gym every day and built up the strength to do it for longer and longer. I then progressed to taking a few steps in a zimmer frame, to walking between parallel bars, and then using crutches. By the time I left the hospital, I was using walking sticks. I was still slow and unsteady on my feet but I managed to get to Jersey and walk down the aisle with my wife. It was a magical day that was made even more special because of what we had been through. We have since been blessed with a beautiful baby girl who is now 5 months old after having been told that we may have to look into “In Vitro Fertilisation (IVF)

I am taking part in the Virgin London Marathon 2011 as I want to raise £5000 for the Try Assist Rugby League Benevolent Fund. The benevolent fund charity has helped and supported me since my injury and I am still having physiotherapy which is paid for by the fund. This would be my way of saying thank you. So many other players and their families have been helped by the fund and the money I raise will go towards supporting their continuing needs but also anyone else who needs support in the future. The marathon will be a huge challenge for me and I am hoping to complete it under 7 hours.

I got my inspiration while l was laid on bed rest in the Spinal Unit at Wakefield Pinderfields. It was Sunday 26 April 2009. I saw an Army Major named Phil Packer walking the London Marathon after a Spinal Cord Injury and from that moment this challenge has always been in mind.

I am looking for sponsors in my taking part in the Virgin London Marathon, which is on Sunday 17 April 2011. Below is a website that I have set up so that people can see my story and also see the video of when I was on BBC Look North on Friday 17 July 2009: the day that I left hospital. Also, there is the website of the ‘Try Assist Rugby League Benevolent Fund’: the charity which I am participating for. Will you be grateful in sponsoring me and making a donation towards the charity?

You can sponsor me at:
http://uk.virginmone....com/CarlDacres

You can email me at:
carlsmarathonchallenge@gmail.com

Charity:
http://www.tryassist.co.uk

Thanks for your support.

Parachute

#2 Scotsgal

Scotsgal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 131 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:Ex & friend of T6 para

Posted 23 February 2011 - 06:10 PM

Can't afford to sponsor you, mate, but just wanted to say good on you and good luck !
Scotsgal x

#3 Parachute

Parachute

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 03:09 PM

Can't afford to sponsor you, mate, but just wanted to say good on you and good luck !
Scotsgal x

Hi Scotsgal,

Thank you very much for wishing me good luck as I will need it. I haven't trained for two weeks as it is too much pain and time. Not sure how I will do, as I have only got up to six miles at the moment and need at least three hours of time to travel further. I have around fifty days left. Martin Yelling, husband of marathon runner Liz Yelling said I must try to get to eighteen miles.

Thanks again.

Parachute

#4 sherbs

sherbs

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 428 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T12, wobbly walker
  • Injury Date:03-01-1993

Posted 25 February 2011 - 10:06 PM

Carl

I have just sponsored you, sorry not much, but every little helps

you are a true star!!

Good Luck
Shirley

#5 Parachute

Parachute

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 11:46 PM

Carl

I have just sponsored you, sorry not much, but every little helps

you are a true star!!

Good Luck
Shirley

Hi Shirley

Thank you very much for the sponsorship, I am very greatful. It was a nice surprise to see that someone had sponsored me from this website. The amount that you sponsored me is more than enough.

Thank you very much.

Parachute

#6 pinkcloud

pinkcloud

Intermediate Member

• Closed Account
  • PipPip
  • 1,234 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:t7 incomplete

Posted 14 March 2011 - 07:15 PM

parachute

fantastic to see you turning sci into something positive :-) as a walker with sci, for a few years before it was diagnosed and now after, i can appreciate and understand what hard work your putting in here, for yourself and the benefit of many others too.

I am too poor financially to contribute, yet wish ya all the best :) you give us with sci a good name :)

#7 Parachute

Parachute

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 10:05 AM

parachute

fantastic to see you turning sci into something positive :-) as a walker with sci, for a few years before it was diagnosed and now after, i can appreciate and understand what hard work your putting in here, for yourself and the benefit of many others too.

I am too poor financially to contribute, yet wish ya all the best :) you give us with sci a good name :)

Hi pinkcloud

Training is not going well. I have not done anything for four weeks. Also, I have only reached six miles this year and in just over four weeks need to reach twenty six miles. A massive challenge I have set myself but I know I can do this. Thanks for the message.

Parachute

#8 pinkcloud

pinkcloud

Intermediate Member

• Closed Account
  • PipPip
  • 1,234 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:t7 incomplete

Posted 16 March 2011 - 08:45 AM

I am sad to hear your body isnt walking the miles you wish for, just yet.

I faced a similar story to yourself with the challenge of walking again, you for your wife and daughter - me for me sons.

A year later my leg with paralysis now decides it wants to walk with its toes like a ballarina and the outer side of me foot. Botox, surgery to the tendons or live with it, are me options. Its seems the spasms have strengthened me toes to such extent they think they are bodybuilders who are in charge :-) I'm going for botox. I hope that your feet are not causing you trouble too. If so, there is help out there.

Even if you dont complete (me positive attitide supports you and says you will) maybe you can turn a positive out of it anyway and let the charity know your problems so they recognise and problems you have, and in the future may be able to help others whom suffer the same? After all, if a determined positive chap such as yourself gets 'stuck' sometimes too, how you pull thorough emotionally is an inspiration in itself.

I'm sure many people (I am one meself) are encouraged by your story and I thank you for sharing.

#9 jules

jules

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T6
  • Injury Date:28-04-1992

Posted 31 March 2011 - 10:03 PM

I've just sponsored you, best of luck. Having just done Reading Half Marathon myself I know how much training is involved. Not sure if you would be interested but for the second year running this year I will be taking part in Walk 4 Matt which is in aid of the Matt Hampson foundation, which raises money for people seriously injured in sport. There is a walking incomplete quad doing the walk with me, it is 110 miles in 7 days. If you fancy doing a day give me a shout.

I'm afraid I can't offer any training tips because I race in a chair.

Jules

#10 Parachute

Parachute

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 11:28 PM

I've just sponsored you, best of luck. Having just done Reading Half Marathon myself I know how much training is involved. Not sure if you would be interested but for the second year running this year I will be taking part in Walk 4 Matt which is in aid of the Matt Hampson foundation, which raises money for people seriously injured in sport. There is a walking incomplete quad doing the walk with me, it is 110 miles in 7 days. If you fancy doing a day give me a shout.

I'm afraid I can't offer any training tips because I race in a chair.

Jules

Hi jules

Thank you very much for the sponsorship. I have not done much training and have only trained more than six miles twice.

What are the details for the Matt Hampson walk?

Parachute

Edited by Parachute, 31 March 2011 - 11:29 PM.

#11 sherbs

sherbs

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 07:40 PM

Parachute

Best of luck for Sunday, I will be watching out for you, and cheering you on from my sofa!!

Sherbs

#12 Parachute

Parachute

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 08:30 PM

Parachute

Best of luck for Sunday, I will be watching out for you, and cheering you on from my sofa!!

Sherbs

Sherbs

Thank you very much.

Parachute

#13 sherbs

sherbs

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 07:04 PM

Hi Parachute

How did the London Marathon go, would love to know how you got on.

Best Wishes
Sherbs

#14 Parachute

Parachute

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 11:45 AM

Taking part in the Virgin London Marathon was fantastic. You really have to travel the whole course to appreciate how great the event is. It only took me moments to start as I was at the green start which is a quick start area.

The crowds were amazing. Youngsters were at the side of the road high fiving the marathon participants. Also adults were giving out drinks, sweets, cakes and fruit. The support from the crowds was great. The crowd kept me going shouting go on man in green. Never for a moment did I think that I wanted to stop. I only did around twelve training sessions before the marathon. The marathon was easier than what I believed it would have been. I did of course stop around the course as my legs do not work like they did before my accident. My finish time was 6 hrs 40 mins 03 secs, which is over three hours slower than what I might have done without my injury.
I have been running once since the marathon, just a simple 5km run yesterday. I am then taking part in the Leeds Half Marathon next week Sunday 8 May.

Parachute

#15 sherbs

sherbs

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 07:51 PM

Parachute

That's amazing!!!

You are a true star.

Good luck for your half marathon, which will be a breeze after the London Marathon

I am humbled by your true grit and determination

With kind regards

Sherbs

#16 Parachute

Parachute

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 12:30 PM

Scotsgal x

Thanks Scotsgal

I only noticed this message today. I completed the distance in 6 hours 40 minutes. I hit my £ 5000 target in July. Once again thanks.

Parachute

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.