• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Csummers

Csummers

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:Quadriplegic / Wife

Posted 02 March 2011 - 12:52 PM

My wife is a quadriplegic due to a debilitating disease and we are supposed to fly out west (US) at the end of April. My question is, do airlines have to accommodate for people disabled to this point. Sitting straight up in chairs cuts her breathing off and also no stability. Any airline suggestions or can they say there is no way the can accommodate or take that responsibility? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

#2 ajl338

ajl338

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:t11

Posted 02 March 2011 - 06:03 PM

Airlines will carry disabled people. You need to phone up their customer services before booking to discuss with them your requirements.

Getting on the plane will require her to transfer from her chair into the isle chair to get onto the plane, check with them if they are prepaired to lift her, there is no hoist, they might require her to have two carers to lift (depending on size) Once in the seat it is difficult to move about the plane, the crew will not help lift / move, if she uses a catheter, I suggest taking a bottle to empty it into and then into the loo.
All seats have to be in an upright position for take off and landing, in reality this is about 45 mins at each end of the flight. Normal aircraft seats do recline a little but not a lot, first class are better (you might consider this). Airlines normally sit disabled people next to the isle, the issue with this is the two people in the seats between you and the window cant get in or out.

Also most airlines will not transport electric chairs, (due to weight and batteries v cold etc.)

ann

#3 edlee

edlee

Super Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,303 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:t-10 complete
  • Injury Date:11-18-2004

Posted 02 March 2011 - 09:53 PM

The majority of what Aj said is true here in the US, too,,, except,, they will take any electric chair,, if it has "Approved " batteries ( gel type usually),, they won't have to be removed from the chair,, if not,, they will have to be removed. Either way,, it is your responsability to know which it is,, and to have proof of the "Approval" ( comes with the chair). There must be a way to physically disconnect the battery, and it would be in your own interest to know what that way is. There are a large number of power chairs in use,, the guys who load the plane won't know much about any of them,, let alone all,, so educate yourself, so you can educate them.

The part about most of the seats not being able to recline very much,,, is putting it mildly. I can't afford first class,, so I wouldn't know about that. Oh,, and if THEY require an additional carer,,, THEY have to pay for his seat,,,,,, honest to god,, it says so in the ADA guidelines.

All the rules you need are online. Google is a wonderful tool.
ed

#4 Csummers

Csummers

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:Quadriplegic / Wife

Posted 05 March 2011 - 03:25 PM

Thank you for the information. I really appreciate it. I will call whichever airline we decide to go with and also search google to have all the information needed to make an informed decision on the best route to take. Thanks again. Chris

#5 pedro2007

pedro2007

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:c 6

Posted 13 March 2011 - 09:53 PM

travel with aircanada they rock

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.