#1 chickadee

chickadee

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 391 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L4/L5 Cauda Equina

Posted 15 March 2011 - 07:49 AM

Well. It's been awhile since I've 'needed' to ask a question, but here goes.

I was injured a bit more than 2 years ago. I walk a bit, usually in the house, with forearm crutches and braces on my legs. Otherwise, it's usually my wheelchair. Cool, fine, whatever.

Last night I went to the hospital after getting walloped upside the back of the head playing sled hockey. I was still wearing my under armour pants, and transferred from the gurney bed to the CT scan platform. A couple of times the assistant tried to help me with my legs (and I requested she let me be, it looks odd but it works), and made a comment about how much muscle I had in my right quad, and my legs otherwise look pretty toned. I told her that it's mostly because I had good cyclist legs before I got hurt, I stretch them every day, and most of what she was seeing was fat being neatly tucked in my under armor pants, etc.

And then she went on a bit, to my chagrin, asking this and that, and telling me most paras she sees have really thin legs and blah blah blah.

I know that I've lost a lot of muscle mass in my legs, and it's slyly converted the mass into fat. Which is receding, as evidenced by my braces needing refittings. Having said that, I'm still self-conscious about my legs, and am sad to know that they're slowly disappearing.

Now I just want to know how long it'll be? I'm assuming it'll be a bit longer for me, since I use one hip flexor and one set of quadriceps. The other stuff just falls in line.

How long until it's 'gone'? And when do you get over it?
I am a palm tree - I bend, but do not break, in the winds and storms.

#2 Tetracyclone

Tetracyclone

Super Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,615 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C-5-7 incomplete
  • Injury Date:27-05-2008

Posted 15 March 2011 - 11:06 AM

Mine was gone in a year, though i have put most back on, including the layer of fat you describe. I doubt you will see that much more, but if you do it will be so gradual you will come to think of them as modeling legs, so no worries!

#3 shady

shady

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C6 Incomplete

Posted 15 March 2011 - 04:39 PM

I am three and a half years in and have to say its only the last 2 months I have noticed a dramatic loss in the leg muscle. I think every case is different. I am conscious that the looked very dished in on the top of the thighs but they seem to have spread out at the tops which makes them look heftier than they ever did.

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.