• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 breannek01

breannek01

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:Daughter of Quadriplegic

Posted 21 March 2011 - 07:56 PM

My father was recently in an dirt bike accident that ended in him being Quadriplegic.
I am trying to find things to improve his quality of life. Simple things but things I think would help for now.

At the hospital and old nursing home he was at they had the TV remote that was controlled by his head, but at his new nursing home that clicker will actually be his call light and they don't really have any devices for the television (he is their first Quad) Ive seen a voice controlled remote but the reviews weren't very good.Is there anything else??

Hands free calling/ voice dialing- I have a blue tooth headset but it still requires you to touch a button on the side to make a call. Are there any devices that maybe don't require the touch? He loves to talk and call so I want him to be free to do so without needing to ask someone to help him every time.

Is there anything that maybe does both of these things??

Thank You!
Breanne

#2 sh1wn

sh1wn

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 378 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:c3/c4 complete

Posted 21 March 2011 - 11:15 PM

Maybe something like this http://www.etoengine...._btheadset.htm

I don't think it would be hard to wire a external switch on to a headset and it would be way cheaper than the above.

#3 posie

posie

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:quadraplegic

Posted 23 March 2011 - 12:06 PM

try the 'possum' system (google it); not exactly user-friendly but better than nothing.....

#4 www.GimpGear.us

www.GimpGear.us

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C-5 Quadriplegic

Posted 28 March 2011 - 07:14 PM

My father was recently in an dirt bike accident that ended in him being Quadriplegic.
I am trying to find things to improve his quality of life. Simple things but things I think would help for now.

At the hospital and old nursing home he was at they had the TV remote that was controlled by his head, but at his new nursing home that clicker will actually be his call light and they don't really have any devices for the television (he is their first Quad) Ive seen a voice controlled remote but the reviews weren't very good.Is there anything else??

Hands free calling/ voice dialing- Are there any devices that maybe don't require the touch? He loves to talk and call so I want him to be free to do so without needing to ask someone to help him every time. Is there anything that maybe does both of these things??

Breanne,
I would suggest you contact us. My company, Broadened Horizons designs, manufactures, and markets unique assistive technologies that provide greater dependence to disabled individuals with limited or no use of their hands and arms. Our solutions are designed by the disabled for the disabled.

We have a wide variety of solutions for quadriplegic like your father (I myself am a quadriplegic) including our VoiceIR Environmental Voice Control System ($449 with $100 rebate available) which would give him complete voice control over his TV, DVD/blueRay player, stereo system, Tivo, lighting, nurse call chime, and much more. It has better voice recognition quality, is easier to use, and has more voice commands available than many other environmental controls that can cost $5000-$20,000! Posted Image Our TalkIR Pro Landline Speakerphone can be completely voice controlled by the VoiceIR also most other accessories

For hands-free complete voice control over cell phone our Vocalize Wheelchair/Bed Bluetooth Voice Control System provides complete voice control over a cell phone without needing to touch any button such as you mentioned on a Bluetooth headset. Instead you simply say TELEPHONE to wake up the system and initiate a call or answer a call, and you would say END CALL to finish or terminate a call. Since it can integrate on a power wheelchair it goes with the person wherever they are at all times providing greater safety, independence, and convenience for all the same reasons everyone else carries a cell phone.

Coincidentally those are our two most popular solutions. However, since recreation and fun is just as important - we also offer the broadest line of adapted video game controllers worldwide, solutions for travel, ergonomic wraparound desks ideal for wheelchair users, computer hands-free head mouse controls, and much more all focused on quadriplegics another individuals with no use of their hands and arms. More immediately while your father is still in a nursing home, and later as he transitions to his own home, our new 3rd Arm Flex Bed Mount Independent Hydration System (also available for wheelchair) which can integrate with the nursing homes nurse call system or a wireless assistance request chime we offer, our QuadMouse head mouse computer, controller, landline speakerphone, wireless intercom, and much more.Posted Image

The best is to contact us and I would be happy to do a FREE independent living assistive technology assessment to figure out both short-term and long-term goals and recommendations for your father. If there is something he needs that we do not offer, we know where to get it and would be happy to point you in the right direction. We look at the person's needs and challenges for independence in a holistic and comprehensive manner.

I know all too intimately how challenging this transition period is both for your father and the rest of your family. I hope my response and seeing our website helps make that light at the end of the tunnel just a little bit brighter!

Mark Felling
Quadriplegic Engineer, Patented Inventor, MBA
President, Broadened Horizons Inc.
www.BroadenedHorizons.com
Sales@BroadenedHorizons.com
855-BROADEN
Mark Felling
Quadriplegic Engineer & Inventor, MBA
President, GimpGear by Broadened Horizons
Innovative Solutions for Disabled Wheelchair Users with Upper Extremity Limitations.
1-612-851-1040

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.