•  
  • Forum Help

Welcome to the Apparelyzed Spinal Cord Injury and Cauda Equina Syndrome Support Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to Apparelyzed, an active and vibrant spinal cord injury and cauda equina syndrome support forum. Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of our spinal cord injury support community by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Talk to others in real time in the Chat Room
Don't forget to follow the latest spinal cord injury news articles on our Facebook and Twitter feeds.

Posted Image Posted Image

We look forward to welcoming you to our community and reading your contributions and questions.

Simon
Forum Administrator.

Photo
- - - - -

Do You Have To Smoke Medical Marijuana Or Does It Come In Pill Form?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 roykelly2

roykelly2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L3,4,5,S1

Posted 28 March 2011 - 05:04 PM

I am currently using 2 100mcg Fentanyl patches and 100mg MS contin bid to try and control pain. Even with the morphine and fentanyl I can't get rid of the constant pain in my feet and achilles tendons. Not to mention the spasms and that "cinched belt" type feeling I get around my abdomen just below the sternum. What I really want to know is does medical marijuana really work as well as so many of you have stated and was that just the smoked version? Is there a different form US doctors can write rx for? Pills maybe and if so do the pills work as well as the smoked? I have tried nuerontin and a whole list of different meds over the years and have never had a day or hour off yet.I thought I was just going to have to continue to deal with the afore mentioned pain and spasms that the other meds don't work on. But If marijuana works my family will just have to learn to deal with the stigma. Your thoughts on the matter will be greatly appreciated as well as give me ammunition to use on my Doctor when convincing him to write the rx. I thank You in advance, Roy.

#2 4tun8

4tun8

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:c5/6 incomplete
  • Injury Date:15-08-2003

Posted 28 March 2011 - 07:14 PM

Look up Cesamet if medicinal marijuana isn't legal in your state, it's not in OK. mark
Mark A. Clayberger

#3 Shan

Shan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5/C6 complete

Posted 28 March 2011 - 08:54 PM

I too have been dealing with pain! I can tell you from me smoking works! I tried the pills, but they don't have the same effect as smoking. It also comes in patches. I know were you are coming from when you say you tried just about everything! Good luck! I hope I helped. If you have anymore question feel free to ask.

#4 sh1wn

sh1wn

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 378 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:c3/c4 complete

Posted 28 March 2011 - 09:57 PM

There is a pill but most say it doesn't work. The good news is you don't have to smoke marijuna to use it, you can cook it in to brownes or cookies or try a vaporizer. What I do is make it into a tincture with alcohol and then take it through my feeding tube, works great. If you need any help let me know.

#5 roykelly2

roykelly2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 10:47 PM

I am currently using 2 100mcg Fentanyl patches and 100mg MS contin bid to try and control pain. Even with the morphine and fentanyl I can't get rid of the constant pain in my feet and achilles tendons. Not to mention the spasms and that "cinched belt" type feeling I get around my abdomen just below the sternum. What I really want to know is does medical marijuana really work as well as so many of you have stated and was that just the smoked version? Is there a different form US doctors can write rx for? Pills maybe and if so do the pills work as well as the smoked? I have tried nuerontin and a whole list of different meds over the years and have never had a day or hour off yet.I thought I was just going to have to continue to deal with the afore mentioned pain and spasms that the other meds don't work on. But If marijuana works my family will just have to learn to deal with the stigma. Your thoughts on the matter will be greatly appreciated as well as give me ammunition to use on my Doctor when convincing him to write the rx. I thank You in advance, Roy.

#6 roykelly2

roykelly2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 10:58 PM

To everyone who responded I want to thank you. My wife went down to the doctors office to pick up my prescriptions today and while she was there I had her ask about getting a rx for marijuana. The doctor informed her that if I wanted to try marijuana I will no longer be able to get my other pain medications and even if I change my mind after trying the marijuana He will no longer give me my current meds. Apparently my Doctor and his office have a very negative feelings about the use of herb. To the point that he would rather I no longer be his patient even after 14 years. So I will not be receiving nor asking for rx marijuana. Thanks for the in-put though.Roy

#7 S&W Winger

S&W Winger

Advanced Member

• Closed Account
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,950 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T-7 Com / C6,T3/4 Inc

Posted 28 March 2011 - 11:11 PM

Damn, Roy, there sure are a lot of doctors out there!! I'd think of switching MD's and trying the natural herb...f*@k that doctor...
Beverly

"A wild patience has taken me this far..."

#8 quadinva

quadinva

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 452 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C-5/6 complete

Posted 29 March 2011 - 03:02 AM

Sounds like your Doc is playing the political games and is buddied up with the pharmaceutical overlords. As for your original question, if you change your mind about your doc, you can get marijuana into your body many ways. Some shops sell brownies, suckers, cereal, etc, etc, etc...if you can eat it, most likely somebody somewhere is making it with marijuana in it. Im not Dr. Pot but I did watch Marijuana Inc on MSNBC last week

-Bags

Spinal Cord Injury & Cauda Equina Syndrome Support

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries and cauda equina syndrome to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.