• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 junebug

junebug

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5-C6 spouse

Posted 05 April 2011 - 08:27 PM

My husband is a c5 c6 incomplete quad injury in 1984 everyone is amazed that he is still here with us! Me not so much! I have a question related to the old quad and the aging process> Does the longterm meds cause memory loss? The injury itself? I dont know anyone that has lived with quadriplegia for this long and we r kinda isolated

#2 Millard

Millard

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,019 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5-C6 Tetraplegia
  • Injury Date:20-07-1967

Posted 05 April 2011 - 09:39 PM

My husband is a c5 c6 incomplete quad injury in 1984 everyone is amazed that he is still here with us! Me not so much! I have a question related to the old quad and the aging process> Does the longterm meds cause memory loss? The injury itself? I dont know anyone that has lived with quadriplegia for this long and we r kinda isolated

Hello JuneBug,

I was injured in 1967 (C5-C6) when I was 20 years old. That's all I remember!!! Posted Image

Ask away and I'll try to answer.

Regards.

Edited by Millard, 05 April 2011 - 09:41 PM.

Millard
"Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid!" - John Wayne

#3 Ctango

Ctango

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:Spinal lesion(s)

Posted 05 April 2011 - 10:42 PM

Quads can absolutely have a normal life expectancy if they take care of themselves.

#4 mellowgator

mellowgator

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,868 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C 6/7

Posted 06 April 2011 - 02:52 AM

there are tons of old quads. it all comes down to how healthy you are as to how long you can live with sci.
hi fellow gimps! i'm a c 6/7 quad and have been injured since 1986. i was in a roll over hydroplane accident and it took hours for the paramedics to get me out of the car in the pouring rain. that definately wasn't my day. but alas life goes on!

#5 Simba

Simba

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 982 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C7C8 / Husband

Posted 06 April 2011 - 11:12 AM

Quad's life expectancy usually isn't affected by the actually quadraplegia at all. As what other people have said as long as they exercise in ways which they are able to and keep fit (eat healthy) and look after themselves to prevent health complications, their life expectancy shouldn't be reduced. My husband was originally injured in 79 and is still going :mfrlol: despite not really being able to look after himself properly at all.

Forgetfulness can be part of the normal aging process but could also be due to cognitive difficulties - I don't think medications affect memory directly although long term they may have some effect on cognitive function (concentration & focus mainly). It depends what type of injuries he sustained as to whether his thinking/rationalising abilities will be affected. My husband has a brain injury which he sustained in the original accident and that does have some effect on cognitive function too.

Keeping the brain active as aging is an important thing for everywhere to be aware of so maybe try to find activities - if he's not already doing them that he enjoys and that exercise his brain in the right way.

There are certainly loads of quads on here that testify to the fact that longevity is not directly affected by SCI.

As to the isolation - often an unfortunate complication to disability socially - friends slowly dissapearing or suddenly becoming too busy to know you.

What I think takes the cake is when they say that "It is too hard for them" :mfrlol:

#6 demfabbones

demfabbones

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C3/C4 incomplete (My dad)

Posted 29 April 2011 - 02:20 AM

I am pretty new to all this, but I just wanted to chip in another success story. My great uncle had SCI almost 40 years ago is/was a quad with very limited arm usage, and has always had excellent health. He's now in his mid 70s.

Edited by demfabbones, 29 April 2011 - 02:21 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.