•  
  • Forum Help

Welcome to the Apparelyzed Spinal Cord Injury and Cauda Equina Syndrome Support Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to Apparelyzed, an active and vibrant spinal cord injury and cauda equina syndrome support forum. Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of our spinal cord injury support community by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Talk to others in real time in the Chat Room
Don't forget to follow the latest spinal cord injury news articles on our Facebook and Twitter feeds.

Posted Image Posted Image

We look forward to welcoming you to our community and reading your contributions and questions.

Simon
Forum Administrator.

Photo
- - - - -

Middlesborough James Cook Spinal Unit

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 joeannet

joeannet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 05:05 PM

Does anyone in here think that the spinal unit in Middlesborough is rubbish.

:(

#2 Apparelyzed

Apparelyzed

Admin/Moderator/That Guy!

• **Admin
  • 4,877 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5/6 Anterior Cord
  • Injury Date:02-01-1992

Posted 13 June 2006 - 05:55 PM

Why, is there a problem?

Simon

Posted Image   Posted Image
Follow the Apparelyzed Forum on our Facebook and Twitter feeds.

#3 Lucydog

Lucydog

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,205 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5, C6, T10-L1 incomplete

Posted 13 June 2006 - 08:21 PM

YEP!!

#4 mttb14

mttb14

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 358 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:wife-C5/6 incomplete

Posted 14 June 2006 - 03:55 PM

Hi,

Out of curiosity, what is the problem with that Spinal Unit.

Maria
Wife of an incomplete SCI - level C5/6 - accident lifting boards above his head in work caused popping sensation in his neck and this was the result. He uses a wheelchair part of the time.

Never say never, and definately do not quit, its usually worth the trying in the end.

#5 Lins

Lins

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L3/L4 Cauda Equina

Posted 18 May 2008 - 09:12 PM

Hi,

I had my spinal surgery at James Cook Mboro in July 2006. There were no rehab beds
available so I was sent home with a back care leaflet!! I'm still under the 'care' of the spinal unit
but apart from the urology who have been fantastic, i've been let down several times.

Unfortunately I found it was down to me to find out what treatments were available
and get them through my GP. 2 years on and the spinal unit still hasn't referred me to
my pain team let alone taught me how to cope with anything. This website has been
my best source of info along with my physio.

Lins

#6 stecurtis331

stecurtis331

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:l4-l5 cauda equina

Posted 19 May 2008 - 10:39 PM

i hope its not s**t im going there on wednesday,to see mr mecci
well if its anything like the rest of the hospital then your probably right,i havent got 1 good thing to say about it,well apart from they took my appendix out for no reason and now damn i will never eat grass in my next life :specool:

i will keep my options open and hope the spinal unit is ok,

at the moment ive got nothing to loose
i'll let you all know what my opinion is.
ALWAYS LOOK ON THE BRIGHT SIDE OF LIFE,DEE DOO,DEE DOO,DEE DOO,DEE DOO

#7 kattybent

kattybent

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L5/S1

Posted 12 November 2010 - 06:26 PM

Hi,

I had my spinal surgery at James Cook Mboro in July 2006. There were no rehab beds
available so I was sent home with a back care leaflet!! I'm still under the 'care' of the spinal unit
but apart from the urology who have been fantastic, i've been let down several times.

Unfortunately I found it was down to me to find out what treatments were available
and get them through my GP. 2 years on and the spinal unit still hasn't referred me to
my pain team let alone taught me how to cope with anything. This website has been
my best source of info along with my physio.

Lins

Hi Lins,

I have had a similar problem with JCUH but I was on their Neuro Ward. I'm 3 years on now, the "routine" spinal operation I had left me a paraplegic :-(

Urology have been great but let down by the rest of the consultants involved.

Hope you are getting your life back on track

Kathryn

#8 Eddie H

Eddie H

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C/3,C/4,C/5 Incomplete
  • Injury Date:23-12-2004

Posted 21 March 2012 - 04:58 PM

My Spinal cord injury dates back to 2004,i spent over 3 months in the James Cook Spinal Unit and i found every member of staff exceptional,they did not treat you as a patient but as a friend.The Physiotherapy staff are so professional and friendly.
I go on a yearly basis for check up to see Mr Mecci,he is so dedicated to his patients and so dedicated to his profession,a real pleasure to know.Very friendly indeed.With a strong dedicated team behind him i look forward to the visit.
  • Squashedbyhorse likes this

#9 ScottyUK

ScottyUK

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L2/L3 & L3/L4
  • Injury Date:14-11-2010

Posted 24 June 2012 - 07:59 AM

Joe,

Sorry to hear that your experience at JCUH was a bad one. Mine was the opposite.

I was admitted to JCUH late in 2010, the week the heavy snow started. I was suffering from pain in my lower back caused by lifting my little lad into his car seat. It had started out as damned uncomfortable and had deteriorated to the point where my legs would simply buckle under me. I was admitted as an emergency patient on a Sunday morning into a busy A&E department where my care was first class in spite of the number of patients being attended to.

I was fast-tracked through to radiography for an MRI scan - where I was in so much pain I simply couldn't lie still - and was told I had (quoting from my notes) a "massive central prolapse L2/L3. Massive central-left prolapse L3-L4" resulting in Cauda Equina Syndrome. Things got worse: I was told that I was only a few hours away from being paralysed below the waist. That hit home pretty hard, me having a month-old baby and a daughter under two.

That afternoon I had an emergency discectomy to remove part of the damaged disc. I woke the next day to find the pain largely gone, other than the pain of the 5" cut in my back for which I was on morphine. A day later (operation + 36hrs) two physios appeared and coaxed me into taking a few fumbling steps to the nurse's station about 15' away. The day after that they had me trying - reluctantly - to climb stairs. That was a bridge too far, but I managed it a day later. I was discharged on the sixth day after admission.

I can clearly remember talking to my surgeon and all the positive words he had about my recovery, and that he wouldn't even let me say 'thank you' for what he had done. He told me that getting myself better would be thanks enough. I can also remember the nurses on Ward 37 who looked after me so well.

After I was discharged I seemed to be slightly cut adrift. The fact that I'd been admitted as an emergency case seemed to be a source of enormous confusion to the administrative folks at the spinal unit aftercare. My first appointment with the consultant took a lot of the optimism that I'd had about my recovery. His message seemed to be "You're knackered, you probably won't get much better than you are right now". At that point I was walking, more-or-less, but really I was shambling along like an old man. Perhaps I should have been happy with that, but I wasn't. The aftercare unit didn't offer me any ideas for building up use of my legs even though I had explicitly asked the question, so my recovery has been pretty much self-managed, no professional physio treatment or anything.

Today most people wouldn't even realise that I've had a serious spinal injury. I suffer from a lot of cramps below my waist in places that I've never had cramp before, and I rarely get an unbroken night's sleep. Sometimes I wake up and I have a distinct 'lean' because my spine has tightened up overnight. On a positive note, I've been back up walking in the high fells in the Lake District, I can play football in the garden with the kids and I can ride my mountain bike. I'm back at my job which is fairly physical and active. The negatives are tolerable, and the stretching exercises make the kids laugh. I'm lucky, and immensely grateful to the staff at JCUH.

Jon.
  • Squashedbyhorse likes this

#10 Squashedbyhorse

Squashedbyhorse

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L3
  • Injury Date:19-06-2013

Posted 24 September 2013 - 04:56 PM

i hope its not s**t im going there on wednesday,to see mr mecci
well if its anything like the rest of the hospital then your probably right,i havent got 1 good thing to say about it,well apart from they took my appendix out for no reason and now damn i will never eat grass in my next life sad.gif

i will keep my options open and hope the spinal unit is ok,

at the moment ive got nothing to loose
i'll let you all know what my opinion is.

Mecci is fantastic, as is Matthews and the physio team are equally as fantastic. I am waiting for a bed to become available so I can get back in for intensive physio, and even if it sounds sad , I can't wait to get back in and work my backside off. I have complete faith in them, if I can walk again, they are the team to help me do it.

#11 Lee.

Lee.

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,637 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T6/T7 Complete fOoL
  • Injury Date:01-05-2011

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:09 PM

i have nothing bad to say about them, they looked after me well and made the time i was there as best they could

sig_zps17b798fa.jpg

Spinal Cord Injury & Cauda Equina Syndrome Support

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries and cauda equina syndrome to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.