Welcome to the Apparelyzed Spinal Cord Injury and Cauda Equina Syndrome Support Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to Apparelyzed, an active and vibrant spinal cord injury and cauda equina syndrome support forum. Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of our spinal cord injury support community by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Talk to others in real time in the Chat Room
We look forward to welcoming you to our community and reading your contributions and questions.

Simon
Forum Administrator.

Photo
- - - - -

Donating Blood

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 hannibal

hannibal

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 406 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T4-T5 Incomplete
  • Injury Date:05-31-2006

Posted 29 April 2011 - 08:16 PM

So I was thinking about donating blood, but was wondering if anyone here has donated their blood. If so how much did it take out of you?

#2 Trinity

Trinity

2nd in Command!

• Moderators
  • 5,041 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T8 complete

Posted 29 April 2011 - 08:23 PM

In the UK people with SCI are not allowed to donate blood, this is due to the increased risk that the person will be colonised with bacteria in the bladder from catheterising (doesn't matter whether intermittent or indwelling catheters) The risk of passing on an infection to the person receiving the transfusion is too high.

It's a shame as I always donated blood before

Memento Vivere
Memento Mori

#3 roo

roo

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:t 3/4 complete 23yrs now

Posted 29 April 2011 - 08:30 PM

In the UK people with SCI are not allowed to donate blood, this is due to the increased risk that the person will be colonised with bacteria in the bladder from catheterising (doesn't matter whether intermittent or indwelling catheters) The risk of passing on an infection to the person receiving the transfusion is too high.

It's a shame as I always donated blood before

never would of thought that,,,,,,,, learn something new everyday
Roo

ROO'S WHEELCHAIR FRIENDLY VILLAS.
http://www.sunnyrothvillas.com email info@sunnyrothvillas.com

#4 hannibal

hannibal

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 09:22 PM

Hmm I would have never thought about it either. Thanks, I wonder what the rules the united states has?

#5 The Black Sheep

The Black Sheep

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,469 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T5, stand-n-shuffler
  • Injury Date:01-08-1998

Posted 29 April 2011 - 11:41 PM

I've been donating every 3 months since I was 16. They take anywhere between 200-550 mileometers. I get somewhat nauseated right after when I sit up, so lay down for a few minutes before getting up. Drink some juice, eat some cookies and I get a sticker that says "Be nice to me today. I donated a pint of blood." Sometimes the puncture wound hurts for a day or so and your arm will feel a little weak. I don't know what the rules are in the US, but they've never denied me unless my iron levels are kind of low. They take a drop of blood from a finger prick and drop it into this blue liquid stuff. If it sinks within 10 seconds, then you have a good iron count. Otherwise they send me home for a week and tell me to eat lots of beans, spinach, eggs and miltivitamins. Nuts are good, too. Particularly almonds.

It's an easy way to lose a lb. =)

Edited by The Black Sheep, 29 April 2011 - 11:44 PM.

3 doctors diagnosed me with hysterical paralysis (weee!), 1 diagnosed an incomplete T7, another T2 and the last (and most accurate) T5. Trampolines are BAD. Sleep is unpredictable. And never kiss strangers. Life has moved on.

#6 hannibal

hannibal

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 12:48 AM

I've been donating every 3 months since I was 16. They take anywhere between 200-550 mileometers. I get somewhat nauseated right after when I sit up, so lay down for a few minutes before getting up. Drink some juice, eat some cookies and I get a sticker that says "Be nice to me today. I donated a pint of blood." Sometimes the puncture wound hurts for a day or so and your arm will feel a little weak. I don't know what the rules are in the US, but they've never denied me unless my iron levels are kind of low. They take a drop of blood from a finger prick and drop it into this blue liquid stuff. If it sinks within 10 seconds, then you have a good iron count. Otherwise they send me home for a week and tell me to eat lots of beans, spinach, eggs and miltivitamins. Nuts are good, too. Particularly almonds.

It's an easy way to lose a lb. =)

Thanks, I will try to donate sometime.

#7 wheeliebear75

wheeliebear75

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,865 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L2 incomplete ASIA-D
  • Injury Date:04-28-1990

Posted 30 April 2011 - 01:21 AM

I'm AB+ which makes my blood a proverbial goldmine for the blood bank cuz it is used for the PLASMA (in MY case) as AB+ plasma IS universal like O neg is for whole blood. My only problem is having my iron count high enough.....it's usually too low to donate or I'd do it more often. ;)
*Enjoy every sunset, but be grateful for every dawn.*
*Wheelchairs are made of a special ocular magnetic alloy......they're "eyeball magnets".*
*I USE a wheelchair, that does NOT make ME a wheelchair!*

#8 BillS

BillS

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 349 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T6 complete since 1977

Posted 30 April 2011 - 01:38 AM

O negative here. I've donated over 9 gallons and soon will hit my 10 gallon mark!! I donate while still sitting in my chair. I don't notice any difference in my energy level the next day so it doesn't seem to take much out of me.
Just a regular guy making his way through life.

#9 spot

spot

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,185 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C1/C2 Incomplete
  • Injury Date:06-06-2009

Posted 30 April 2011 - 03:17 PM

This is a bit off the topic, but I haven't been able to donate blood since 2002. It has nothing to do with SCI, but rather with BSE. I was stationed in Germany during 1982 - 1983, so I was (very theoretically) exposed to BSE. Have any of the British contingent on here heard of a blood test for BSE? I would like to be eligible again, since it seems to be possible with the SCI. :offtopic:

#10 sh1wn

sh1wn

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 378 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:c3/c4 complete

Posted 30 April 2011 - 07:28 PM

Could you fill us in on what BSE is? I usually google things but that didn't work for this.
Thanks

#11 Trinity

Trinity

2nd in Command!

• Moderators
  • 5,041 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T8 complete

Posted 30 April 2011 - 07:45 PM

Could you fill us in on what BSE is? I usually google things but that didn't work for this.
Thanks

BSE is Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy (mad cow disease) the human form is new variant Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease (nvCJD) there is no test at present that can detect this. The risk of nvCJD has caused the UK to be very stringent on blood donation, anyone who has received a blood transfusion in the past is not allowed to donate as is anyone who may theoretically be at risk of acquiring the disease

Memento Vivere
Memento Mori

#12 mellowgator

mellowgator

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,871 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C 6/7

Posted 30 April 2011 - 08:12 PM

this is off topic as well. but in 1986 when i suffered my injury i was given a blood transfusion. back then they didn't even test for aids. however, the transfusion gave me an antigen which years later made me at risk for having a blue baby. the baby was fine but i can see where you can never be too careful. i feel lucky i didn't contract aides or hep c. i do appreciate that now they consider mrsa and other issues that could cause adverse health issues for the donee.

mellowgator
hi fellow gimps! i'm a c 6/7 quad and have been injured since 1986. i was in a roll over hydroplane accident and it took hours for the paramedics to get me out of the car in the pouring rain. that definately wasn't my day. but alas life goes on!

#13 goose

goose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,226 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C 4/5
  • Injury Date:13-08-1986

Posted 01 May 2011 - 06:26 AM

just want to say thanks to ALL of you who do donate blood. i was told my blood pressure was way too low.

#14 pistol_pete

pistol_pete

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 723 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T4 complete

Posted 01 May 2011 - 09:57 AM

Thanks

BSE is Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy (mad cow disease) the human form is new variant Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease (nvCJD) there is no test at present that can detect this. The risk of nvCJD has caused the UK to be very stringent on blood donation, anyone who has received a blood transfusion in the past is not allowed to donate as is anyone who may theoretically be at risk of acquiring the disease

I'm not allowed to donate blood because I was in the UK during the mad cow thing and it could still potentially be incubating in me.
I was a backpacker who spent his meagre income on booze, I couldn't even afford to eat their overpriced steaks.
This didn't wash with the blood donor people, may have been the booze comment.
Todays greatest labour saving device is tomorrow
My spine is all wrong but my backbone is strong.

Spinal Cord Injury & Cauda Equina Syndrome Support

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries and cauda equina syndrome to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.