•  
  • Forum Help

Welcome to the Apparelyzed Spinal Cord Injury and Cauda Equina Syndrome Support Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to Apparelyzed, an active and vibrant spinal cord injury and cauda equina syndrome support forum. Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of our spinal cord injury support community by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Talk to others in real time in the Chat Room
Don't forget to follow the latest spinal cord injury news articles on our Facebook and Twitter feeds.

Posted Image Posted Image

We look forward to welcoming you to our community and reading your contributions and questions.

Simon
Forum Administrator.

Photo
- - - - -

What Is The Highest Level Of Education You Earned?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

Poll: SCI Education Demographic (59 member(s) have cast votes)

What is the highest level of education you earned?

1. PhD (4 votes [6.78%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.78%

2. Masters Degree (11 votes [18.64%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.64%

3. BA or BSc 3 or 4 years (26 votes [44.07%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 44.07%

4. Community College 2 or 3 years (6 votes [10.17%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.17%

5. Trade Apprenticeship (1 votes [1.69%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.69%

6. Highschool Diploma (8 votes [13.56%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.56%

7. School of Life (1 votes [1.69%] - View)

8. GCSE's (1 votes [1.69%] - View)

9. A Levels (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

10. BTEC ONC OND HNC (1 votes [1.69%] - View)

11. City & Guilds (0 votes [0.00%])

12. NVQ (0 votes [0.00%])

Did you complete your education before or after your injury?

1. Before (38 votes [64.41%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 64.41%

2. After (21 votes [35.59%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 35.59%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 City Girl

City Girl

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 241 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T12 INCOMPLETE, ASIA D

Posted 30 April 2011 - 08:53 AM

As a young adult, I finished high school and went to university directly after to complete a 4 year BA specializing in Linguistics (University of Toronto 1984). When I had my SCI, I was 42 years old and had completed my education and had an established career at a college in curriculum development and testing methodologies for Health Science education. (Don't ask how I got from Linguistics to Health Science. Life definitely takes us on surprising journeys.)

This fall, I am returning to university part-time with the Faculty of Medicine, Department of Nutritional Science to complete 8 undergraduate courses and then move on to do a Masters degree. I am 46 years old now and probably won't finish my MSc until I am in my early 50s but nutrition has become a passion of mine. Although I currently work in Health Science education, I would like to specialize in nutrition and consult. My goal is to work less, make more money and do what I love. So I am going back to school. My decision to go back to school was inspired by my injury.

Hence, I am just wondering what others have done and whether they completed their studies before or after their SCI?

~ City Girl ~
~ City Girl ~
Well-behaved women seldom make history.  Laurel Thatcher Ulrich, 1976.
I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done. Lucille Ball

#2 mcferguson

mcferguson

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 925 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T5/6 Complete
  • Injury Date:30-11-2008

Posted 01 May 2011 - 04:34 AM

Got my Masters of Science in Environmental Geology 5 years before my injury.
Future SCI Alumnus. Victory over the storm - Mark 4.39.
Ferguson Clan Motto: Dulcius Ex Asperis (Sweeter after difficulties)

#3 mellowgator

mellowgator

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,866 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C 6/7

Posted 01 May 2011 - 04:47 AM

i graduated from college in 1983. i have a ba in finance from the university of south florida. i got my degree pre injury.

mellowgator
hi fellow gimps! i'm a c 6/7 quad and have been injured since 1986. i was in a roll over hydroplane accident and it took hours for the paramedics to get me out of the car in the pouring rain. that definately wasn't my day. but alas life goes on!

#4 goose

goose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,234 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C 4/5
  • Injury Date:13-08-1986

Posted 01 May 2011 - 04:51 AM

i graduated from Auburn University in 1983 [i finished college in 3 years which was a stupid move by me] i set a goal to be the first one in my class to grad. stupid stupid stupid i reached my goal but it was a dumb one.
my degree was in org. management minor in marketing. my first job was regional manager of durable medical supplies. i really loved helping people find products that would enrich their lifes. i still like finding these things however they usually are for me.
my accident was 3 years later.

ps. let your kids take forever to graduate [best time of your life]
  • St. Peter likes this

#5 mellowgator

mellowgator

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,866 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C 6/7

Posted 01 May 2011 - 05:18 AM

i graduated from Auburn University in 1983 [i finished college in 3 years which was a stupid move by me] i set a goal to be the first one in my class to grad. stupid stupid stupid i reached my goal but it was a dumb one.
my degree was in org. management minor in marketing. my first job was regional manager of durable medical supplies. i really loved helping people find products that would enrich their lifes. i still like finding these things however they usually are for me.
my accident was 3 years later.

ps. let your kids take forever to graduate [best time of your life]

amen to that. i also finished college early and would of loved to of stayed much longer.
hi fellow gimps! i'm a c 6/7 quad and have been injured since 1986. i was in a roll over hydroplane accident and it took hours for the paramedics to get me out of the car in the pouring rain. that definately wasn't my day. but alas life goes on!

#6 twentieth

twentieth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 124 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T6 complete

Posted 01 May 2011 - 05:26 AM

I did undergrad at LSU and earned a degree in Political Science (which I really enjoyed). I stayed on at LSU and earned a Law Degree and now practice Injury Law. I was injured in my second year of Law School (motorcycle and a fifth of vodka). I had a lot of trouble with my insurance company and got fed up and wheeled into the Deans office and asked him who are the lawyers who sue insurance companies? And he said trial lawyers. So that is what I am.
  • Chococat likes this
"Question every word, every phrase of every alleged truth that is fed to you...for what is true for the master is rarely true for the slave." Gerry Spence.

#7 samsara

samsara

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L1-L2 incomplete

Posted 01 May 2011 - 05:37 AM

I have a BA in occupational therapy. I got my degree after my sci.

#8 The Black Sheep

The Black Sheep

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,483 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T5, stand-n-shuffler
  • Injury Date:01-08-1998

Posted 06 May 2011 - 03:52 AM

I finally finished a degree after bouncing around to 3 different colleges. I was 1 course short before having my associates for Computer Science. I hated it. It was just one class, but I HATED it. Transferred to a University for Game Design! Fun! Awesome! Every kid's dream... not very practical. One year later I transferred again to Westwood College and finished my 4-year BA for Game Art and Design, and I actually found employment. It was one of those "I'm young and can afford to be stupid" decisions where I just wanted to go do something fun, probably unrealistic, and completely love it. I'm programming-retarded and when I was in community college, I just couldn't stand thinking that I was going to be stuck with something I hated so much. I'd rather fail at something I loved than work as a programmer.

After injury. On campus for 2 years and then took mostly online courses.
3 doctors diagnosed me with hysterical paralysis (weee!), 1 diagnosed an incomplete T7, another T2 and the last (and most accurate) T5. Trampolines are BAD. Sleep is unpredictable. And never kiss strangers. Life has moved on.

#9 Wheelsonfire

Wheelsonfire

Members

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,254 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:d2 to d4 (Admin Note: Banned for acting the gobshite, one time too many)

Posted 06 May 2011 - 11:39 AM

Yes,paperwork is very important,for without it we wouldn't know our capabilities.
And since we are seeing who can pee the highest.

I bought a thermometer and it has loads of degrees
  • MTB John likes this
Seemingly, "support" is very "serious" and you should never have a thought of your own..... My Blog

#10 Smileyblue

Smileyblue

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T8 complete

Posted 06 May 2011 - 01:22 PM

We all graduated with honours from the school of hard knocks!
  • S&W Winger and WaveWolf like this

What's important is not what happens to us, but how we react to what happens to us..
God gave us two ends, one to think with, n one to sit on.. Success depends on which one u use.. Heads you win, tails u lose..

#11 The Black Sheep

The Black Sheep

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,483 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 06:47 PM

Yes,paperwork is very important,for without it we wouldn't know our capabilities.
And since we are seeing who can pee the highest.

I bought a thermometer and it has loads of degrees

I didn't think this was a peeing contest. It's not like I can just go out and apply for a manufacturing job or something physically constructive. A degree was really the only chance I had of working, but maybe I should have just planned for a future in check-collecting.

I totally went into school thinking "Wow, I'm going to earn the right to be an asshole to everyone after this." (sarcasm)

Edited by The Black Sheep, 06 May 2011 - 06:48 PM.

3 doctors diagnosed me with hysterical paralysis (weee!), 1 diagnosed an incomplete T7, another T2 and the last (and most accurate) T5. Trampolines are BAD. Sleep is unpredictable. And never kiss strangers. Life has moved on.

#12 Maltese Cat

Maltese Cat

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 174 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:Wife of T12/L1 complete

Posted 06 May 2011 - 07:25 PM

It's not like I can just go out and apply for a manufacturing job or something physically constructive. A degree was really the only chance I had of working, but maybe I should have just planned for a future in check-collecting.

I have a BA (which according to weird tradition at my university,has somehow 'transformed' into an MA after a few years with no actual extra work!) and a veterinary degree. I am AB. But i have a question for all of you regarding equal opportunities etc.
One of my friends who qualified the same year as me works for a vet practice that has recently taken on a new grad. all very normal. however, after a couple of weeks of working with the new grad making some shocking errors of muddling meds and not seeming to have any idea what she was doing, it emerged that she was really severely dyslexic and unable to read the labels on the medicine bottles. All through university she had had extra time in exams, and mentors with her permanently helping her with reading etc. However, she was under no obligation to tell her boss this at interview, and so able to make serious mistakes which would have led to the death of animals under her care if they had not been spotted just in time by some super vigilant nurses.
Her boss is now angry with the university, asking why they even admitted her onto the course if her disability was such that it would affect her working as a vet to this degree.
What are your views on this kind of thing? i feel equal opportunites are really important, but sometimes think people get carried away (think that character in come fly with me whose job is to get poeple in wheelchairs to their plane, but sh'e s in a wheelchair herself, so has to have someone push her, while she pushes the person in front..... - a comedy sketch show for thoseof you accross the pond, or not familiar with david walliams and matt lucas!)

what do you guys think??

i've just realised this is a total thread hijack - really sorry.
If you have one foot in the past, and one foot in the future, you are probably peeing on today

#13 The Black Sheep

The Black Sheep

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,483 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 08:47 PM

It's not like I can just go out and apply for a manufacturing job or something physically constructive. A degree was really the only chance I had of working, but maybe I should have just planned for a future in check-collecting.

I have a BA (which according to weird tradition at my university,has somehow 'transformed' into an MA after a few years with no actual extra work!) and a veterinary degree. I am AB. But i have a question for all of you regarding equal opportunities etc.
One of my friends who qualified the same year as me works for a vet practice that has recently taken on a new grad. all very normal. however, after a couple of weeks of working with the new grad making some shocking errors of muddling meds and not seeming to have any idea what she was doing, it emerged that she was really severely dyslexic and unable to read the labels on the medicine bottles. All through university she had had extra time in exams, and mentors with her permanently helping her with reading etc. However, she was under no obligation to tell her boss this at interview, and so able to make serious mistakes which would have led to the death of animals under her care if they had not been spotted just in time by some super vigilant nurses.
Her boss is now angry with the university, asking why they even admitted her onto the course if her disability was such that it would affect her working as a vet to this degree.
What are your views on this kind of thing? i feel equal opportunites are really important, but sometimes think people get carried away (think that character in come fly with me whose job is to get poeple in wheelchairs to their plane, but sh'e s in a wheelchair herself, so has to have someone push her, while she pushes the person in front..... - a comedy sketch show for thoseof you accross the pond, or not familiar with david walliams and matt lucas!)

what do you guys think??

i've just realised this is a total thread hijack - really sorry.

My opinion might actually not fit in with some of the disabled community. I think that if you can't do your job, you can't do your job. Period. Other people and property gets hurt when someone that is unqualified does something they have a difficult time doing. I wouldn't expect to get a job in construction and I chose my education based on something I actually could do well with my abilities. Or lack there of. I understand there are some little inconveniences that can be easily accommodated for, like making a bathroom handicap accessible or a ramp into a doorway. But if a woman can't read, she really shouldn't be writing prescriptions. The circumstances are different with everyone's disability, but if there's the probability of someone getting injured because a worker isn't physically able to, it shouldn't be allowed for someone to throw in the handicap card, or the race card, or the sex card, etc.
  • WaveWolf likes this

#14 Tetracyclone

Tetracyclone

Super Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,189 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C-5-7 incomplete
  • Injury Date:27-05-2008

Posted 07 May 2011 - 04:24 AM

Maltese Cat, honestly, this is a no-brainer where rules and regulations push the whole situation through the looking glass. Your friend had every right to be furious with the university.

#15 Wheelsonfire

Wheelsonfire

Members

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,254 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:d2 to d4 (Admin Note: Banned for acting the gobshite, one time too many)

Posted 08 May 2011 - 01:49 AM

I do apologise, people, it has been brought to my attention that my humour is very hard to grasp and I did not wish to demean the efforts that ye put into educating yourselves, I hope it doesn’t take ye too long more and wish ye the best results possible.

Again, very sorry if anyone was offended due to me having the craic as no ill will were meant, I thought ye would have had the grey matter to understand my humour and not the goldfish mentality as I have been here for sometime.

I hope ye accept my sincere apology.

Seemingly, "support" is very "serious" and you should never have a thought of your own..... My Blog

#16 The Black Sheep

The Black Sheep

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,483 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 02:41 AM

I do apologise, people, it has been brought to my attention that my humour is very hard to grasp and I did not wish to demean the efforts that ye put into educating yourselves, I hope it doesn’t take ye too long more and wish ye the best results possible.

Again, very sorry if anyone was offended due to me having the craic as no ill will were meant, I thought ye would have had the grey matter to understand my humour and not the goldfish mentality as I have been here for sometime.

I hope ye accept my sincere apology.

Accepted, and sorry as well. I get a little crabby when someone picks on someone's else education or lack of it, and I thought you were mocking, not joking. =) I guess the thing for me is I tried really hard to do something that would make a decent career, rather than jump on the DSS wagon, and it's like rubbing a sore spot with a Brillo pad when someone goes "Oh, look at the smarty pants." Bah! It's probably best to ignore me for a day or two until my grouchy faze passes. My brain is super touchy when I have PMS.

Edited by The Black Sheep, 08 May 2011 - 03:07 AM.

#17 Chel

Chel

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L1/L2 - New T-spine

Posted 08 May 2011 - 07:08 PM

I am a few classes away from my BA; I want to finish online when I get the pain under control. I also have a degree in Home Health Care and have done some Business Administration work. I have a gift with fixing technicial stuff like computers, printers ect.
"A Friend Loveth at all times even though he or she may disagree."

#18 Wheelsonfire

Wheelsonfire

Members

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,254 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 09:26 PM

rather than jump on the DSS wagon,

I don't do the social welfare thingy either

and it's like rubbing a sore spot with a Brillo pad when someone goes "Oh, look at the smarty pants."

Um, I didn't say ye were one of them either......

:wink05:

sorry sorry sorry sorry

Edited by Wheelsonfire, 08 May 2011 - 09:27 PM.

#19 Eric T

Eric T

• Members
  • Pip
  • 86 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T3-4 Complete
  • Injury Date:29-09-1962

Posted 26 June 2011 - 03:19 AM

NZ School Certificate, 5th Form (year 11) 1955. Trade Certificate (panel beating)1960. Various draughting certificates since 1965.

Moderation is the silken thread running through the pearly chain of all virtue

#20 dom

dom

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L1 incomplete

Posted 26 June 2011 - 12:11 PM

rather than jump on the DSS wagon,

I don't do the social welfare thingy either

and it's like rubbing a sore spot with a Brillo pad when someone goes "Oh, look at the smarty pants."

Um, I didn't say ye were one of them either......

:wink05:

I get your meanings between the words WOF :dev: it's a true statement grey matter and paperwork don't always correlate

sorry sorry sorry sorry

#21 Wheelsonfire

Wheelsonfire

Members

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,254 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 03:33 PM

Ehem, why, I don't know what you mean, Dom.
Surely you didn't read too much into my comments.

Oh my, I wonder if the peeps with the degrees thought I was taking the mick out of them for being sooooooo clever.
Then again, reading between the lines can be sooooo difficult for some(which means they see things that may or may not be there)

Now where's my Sarcasm for Dummies book....

#22 KayDub

KayDub

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 300 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T9-10 Incomplete
  • Injury Date:30-05-2011

Posted 10 August 2011 - 02:00 AM

Pre getting sick I went to Brown University in Providence, was an urban studies major on a track scholarship. I had my first round of nerve damage and surgeries that came from degenerative foot cartilage. Tried to stick it out but ended up coming home after two years for my first lumber nerve surgery. From there I finished my bachelor's at University of Colorado at Boulder in history and geography/hydrology. I was on and off crutches then but always considered myself AB.

Now post illness I'm working on an environmental law degree at University of Denver. I also got into the masters of Urban Planning program at the University of Colorado at Denver that I might go into after law school (if it doesn't burn me out too bad!)

So far school has been the same as an AB or in my chair, not sure if that will change.

#23 coffeecups

coffeecups

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C2 Incomplete

Posted 10 August 2011 - 03:27 AM

BS in mathematics with a degree to teach. This was pre injury. . I taught for 5 years and right now homeschool my kiddos. I hope someday to go back In the classroom. I've thought about going back for a masters in education or mathematics.

#24 dreamerr

dreamerr

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 220 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L4/L5 Cauda Equina
  • Injury Date:11-15-2006

Posted 16 October 2011 - 03:58 AM

Taught Physical Education before this happened for 22 years. This was just a "little" change in my life ugh.
  • grumpymom9 likes this
I know I will always have a seat:)

#25 gimpguy

gimpguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T12 - L1

Posted 30 December 2011 - 03:19 AM

BS in Business Management and Administration, Kelly School of Business, Indiana University. Go Hoosiers!

#26 snaggs10

snaggs10

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:husband of L1 complete
  • Injury Date:28-02-1999

Posted 27 April 2012 - 04:39 AM

Sarah graduated Columbia University college of dental medicine She did it post-injury. I have a degree in civil engineering from the Universityof New Hampshire.

#27 bantughost

bantughost

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:c4-5 incomplete
  • Injury Date:28-06-1997

Posted 29 April 2012 - 04:36 PM

Injured playing rugby halfway through my third year of uni. Went back 2 years post injury and completed my BSc in Production Management. I'm yet to really put it to good use ... A decade later.

#28 steelchariot

steelchariot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C4-5 complete
  • Injury Date:23-05-1999

Posted 29 April 2012 - 05:08 PM

Seems most people got their degrees pre-injury. Probably no coincidence, I went to a community college after my injury and after two years of courses I was so ready to be finished. It wasn't that the work was hard but the frustration of not being able to handle my own books and papers or being able to take notes for myself was just… well, frustrating. Classrooms were not always accessible and sometimes my cathing schedule didn't always want to coincide with class times. That's said, I'm glad I stuck it out and got an engineering degree and I think it'd be a good experience for anyone with a SCI to go back to school if you can afford it or get financial aid.
  • St. Peter likes this

#29 The Black Sheep

The Black Sheep

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,483 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 05:22 PM

Seems most people got their degrees pre-injury. Probably no coincidence, I went to a community college after my injury and after two years of courses I was so ready to be finished. It wasn't that the work was hard but the frustration of not being able to handle my own books and papers or being able to take notes for myself was just… well, frustrating. Classrooms were not always accessible and sometimes my cathing schedule didn't always want to coincide with class times. That's said, I'm glad I stuck it out and got an engineering degree and I think it'd be a good experience for anyone with a SCI to go back to school if you can afford it or get financial aid.

I was in community college for 2 years after injury and your experience sounds just like mine. We have some pretty narly winters here in NY and I just loathed the thought of hauling crap back and forth. After getting my associates I switched majors and finished my BA online. Those were the best 4 years of my life, I think. I know online schools get bashed pretty bad, but I got WAY more out of it than community college. And I could still work full time without working school around my schedule.

#30 Chococat

Chococat

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 364 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T4incomplete
  • Injury Date:Illness in 1994

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:44 PM

Got ill in second year of law degree at uni, took a year to recover practically fully (or so i thought), went back finished the degree...just in time before the real permanent neuro symptoms kicked in.

Spinal Cord Injury & Cauda Equina Syndrome Support

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries and cauda equina syndrome to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.