Welcome to the Apparelyzed Spinal Cord Injury and Cauda Equina Syndrome Support Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to Apparelyzed, an active and vibrant spinal cord injury and cauda equina syndrome support forum. Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of our spinal cord injury support community by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Talk to others in real time in the Chat Room
We look forward to welcoming you to our community and reading your contributions and questions.

Simon
Forum Administrator.

Photo
- - - - -

How To Harden Stools

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Halfman

Halfman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:Spinal tumour

Posted 01 May 2011 - 07:25 AM

Recently I finally thought my bowel management was settling down. I've got a flaccid bowel and was forming hardish stools which I could easily manually evac daily without worry of leakage. However over the last few days the stools have got pretty soft meaning they work their own way out if I'm not careful. Any idea what the best food is to eat to harden the stools? I'm being good and having my bowl of bran flakes and banana every morning - this is right isn't it, and should I just be going down the more oats/bran route?

I did search the forum but really don't get on with teh search on this site! THanks in advance for your help.

#2 MTB John

MTB John

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,342 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C6, Incomplete
  • Injury Date:19-02-2010

Posted 01 May 2011 - 09:01 AM

Banana's and cheese work well.
Not necessarily at the same time..
Out of the gloom a voice said unto me, "Smile and be happy, things could be worse." So I smiled and was happy and behold things did get worse.

#3 Gabi&George

Gabi&George

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T5-6 asia incomplete

Posted 01 May 2011 - 02:29 PM

Up your ** Raw ** fiber consumption - try plenty of big mixed salads. They do wonders for my para husband and you can get really creative with them.

Also yogurt, but that I have to hide in smoothies and dressings and sauces, he hates yogurt.

At nutritiondata.com

you can keep a food journal and track the dietary values in what you're eating. It's helped our menu planning tremendously, especially in using it together with the Recipe link under healthy lifestyle that you can find at

mayoclinic.com

Bon Appetit :) Gabi

#4 Trinity

Trinity

2nd in Command!

• Moderators
  • 5,041 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T8 complete

Posted 01 May 2011 - 04:00 PM

I think bran has the opposite effect for the one your are looking for!
Also salads have the opposite effect on my and tend to loosen things up somewhat! Banana are a good choice and I guess anything lower in fibre will harden things up a little, it may not be the healthiest option though

Memento Vivere
Memento Mori

#5 Millard

Millard

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,060 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5-C6 Tetraplegia
  • Injury Date:20-07-1967

Posted 01 May 2011 - 08:11 PM

Recently I finally thought my bowel management was settling down. I've got a flaccid bowel and was forming hardish stools which I could easily manually evac daily without worry of leakage. However over the last few days the stools have got pretty soft meaning they work their own way out if I'm not careful. Any idea what the best food is to eat to harden the stools? I'm being good and having my bowl of bran flakes and banana every morning - this is right isn't it, and should I just be going down the more oats/bran route?

I did search the forum but really don't get on with teh search on this site! THanks in advance for your help.

You need to increase your fibre intake. You can try something like Fiber Con caplets or something similar.

Good luck.
Millard
"Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid!" - John Wayne

#6 aggzy

aggzy

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 342 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:c1-scull
  • Injury Date:20-02-1985

Posted 01 May 2011 - 10:28 PM

i'd go with cheese straaight from the block
whenever i havv3e a funny tummy i munch heaps of cheese
come see my website

HIGHER THAN SUPERMAN

#7 Halfman

Halfman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:Spinal tumour

Posted 02 May 2011 - 08:12 AM

Thanks for all your replies as ever.

I've done a bit more research and thought I'd share with you. Seems like Trinity was closest to the mark. Although we have fibre, fibre, fibre drummed into us, it isn't the answer here. Contrary to what seems logical to me, fibre doesn't bind stools together compactly but helps with a consistency that will move them on (this is all my understanding now which could be totally wrong!) by creating bulk. With a flacid bowel agitation through suppositories, senna exactly have no effect since there is nothing to agitate.

Almost all of the suggestions of what can harden stools are the exact opposite of the fibrous foods SCIs are always pointed towards. Here are some of the lists I found:

"White bread, rice, lean meats, cheese, bananas, iron supplements, boiled eggs, tapioca, smooth peanut butter, black tea, potatoes (without the skin)"

"Milk, non-fruit youghut, cheese, ice cream
Enriched white bread or rolls,saltine crackers, refined cereals,pancakes, waffles, bagels,biscuits, white rice, enriched noodles
Strained fruit juice, apple sauce, potatoes without the skins
Any meat, fish or poultry
Any creamed or broth-based soups without vegetables, beans or lentils
NOT fruit, veg, nuts, pulses, wholemeal etc"

Sounds like I need to go on a bad diet!

Edited by Halfman, 02 May 2011 - 08:13 AM.

#8 Hapahowlee

Hapahowlee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,867 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:Wife of C5,6,7 - Incomp.

Posted 02 May 2011 - 06:33 PM

My hubby drinks a banana smoothie every morning and takes probiotics to be sure the "good" bacteria is in his digestive system.

He takes Super Bifido. We've tried acidophillus (sp), but that doesn't work well for him. There are all types of probiotics so if you wanted to try, you may have to experiment on type and frequency.

Good luck.

#9 goose

goose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,226 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C 4/5
  • Injury Date:13-08-1986

Posted 06 May 2011 - 05:30 AM

halfman

sounds like you finally found a good excuse to eat the bad stuff.

peanut butter on toast--great snack

#10 isobar

isobar

Advanced Member

• Closed Account
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,461 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:t12-l1/incomplete/

Posted 07 May 2011 - 02:44 AM

Try soluble fiber it will bulk up your stool ...... tea is good also.
LITUT = "Life Is The Ultimate Teacher"

#11 MrBump

MrBump

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 286 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:c7 Complete
  • Injury Date:20-05-2008

Posted 07 May 2011 - 03:21 AM

we have movicol in Aus, not sure if anyone else has it OS, but i have a question regarding this topic.........

I go everyday, and take a movicol each night and my poop is usually pretty good but on the softish side. The days that is firmer its a lot easier.

I've tried going without the movicol but seemed to get a bit consti and sitting over your stomach each day ain't comfy.

So by keep taking the movicol each night, + a hardener like metamucil work or would they just cancel out each other ?

I've just had conflicting stories about Movicol being a stool softener and it being just solution to helps the colon push the poopy thru without actually softening it ???

Anyone got any suggestions ?
Failure is not falling down.
Failure is not getting back up.

Spinal Cord Injury & Cauda Equina Syndrome Support

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries and cauda equina syndrome to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.