Welcome to the Apparelyzed Spinal Cord Injury and Cauda Equina Syndrome Support Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to Apparelyzed, an active and vibrant spinal cord injury and cauda equina syndrome support forum. Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of our spinal cord injury support community by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Talk to others in real time in the Chat Room
We look forward to welcoming you to our community and reading your contributions and questions.

Simon
Forum Administrator.

Photo
- - - - -

That Belly Brace People Use To Hold Their Fat In.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cmackay

cmackay

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:t6

Posted 10 May 2011 - 04:52 AM

i believe the correct term is abdominal binder. when i was in the hospital after my injury they had me wear a stretchy brace around my stomach, they said it helped my blood pressure and i would want to use it in the future to hold my belly in. do any of you guys use one? I got the muffin top going on right now and am wondering if it helps. I quit using it in the hospital because it would make me throw up. If any of u guys do use it, and it helps, can you point me in the direction to purchase one.
/
'

Edited by cmackay, 10 May 2011 - 05:00 AM.

#2 nomis

nomis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,998 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:Para T4
  • Injury Date:11-02-1970

Posted 10 May 2011 - 11:42 AM

I used one some years back when I was driving a tractor. It was a little Kubota with a flail mower on the back. It had me bouncing about so wildly that I needed the binder to hold my guts still otherwise I'd come off the tractor feeling like I'd been kicked in the guts by a full football team.

"We are all different - but we share the same human spirit. Perhaps it's human nature that we adapt - and survive." - Stephen Hawking 2013

#3 sh1wn

sh1wn

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 378 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:c3/c4 complete

Posted 10 May 2011 - 08:00 PM

I wore one in rehab for blood pressure but thats evened out now. I did pick up on lately because of a abdominal hernia, I haven't wore it yet because the hernia hasn't shown since then. I just looked up abdominal Binder on google shopping and there was a bunch.

#4 goose

goose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,226 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C 4/5
  • Injury Date:13-08-1986

Posted 11 May 2011 - 04:18 AM

i wore one in rehab but it was somthing that i quit wearing when i came home. there were soo many new things to do or wear and took so long to get ready that i just quit wearing it. i regret it now. it helps with your breathing,posture,and holds all your organs in place. after the abs go ,the gut pooches out. not very attractive. i've tried to wear one lately and they ride up to my boobs. there are alot of them on line.
i'm not over weight but have the 'pooch'. it makes your clothes look terrible. vain--i know. but ,hey , what's one more problem . right?

#5 qbounce

qbounce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,339 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C7 Complete (so I'm told)

Posted 11 May 2011 - 05:18 PM

Abdominal binders come in sizes, so keep that in mind. The ones with a lumbar support have these plastic braces that run down the side. IMO, they don't do anything more than dig in your side and cause skin problems from the plastic. The less expensive, all elastic binders do the same job without the skin irritation.
When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained. - Mark Twain

#6 Stand

Stand

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 531 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C4 Incomplete, ASIA B
  • Injury Date:08-18-2009

Posted 17 May 2011 - 07:35 PM

I initially used mine in the hospital due to blood pressure issues. I no longer have those issues will continue to wear it just in case, plus it helps keep your organs kept tight inside since I can no longer control my abs. I think you would crazy not to wear one just for the simple fact of what it can do and how simple it is to put on. Best of luck!
If you don't try, you fail.

www.aaronwood.us

Spinal Cord Injury & Cauda Equina Syndrome Support

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries and cauda equina syndrome to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.