Welcome to the Apparelyzed Spinal Cord Injury and Cauda Equina Syndrome Support Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to Apparelyzed, an active and vibrant spinal cord injury and cauda equina syndrome support forum. Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of our spinal cord injury support community by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Talk to others in real time in the Chat Room
We look forward to welcoming you to our community and reading your contributions and questions.

Simon
Forum Administrator.

Photo
- - - - -

Non Pressure Skin Sore

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 Edinburgh Colin

Edinburgh Colin

Super Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,895 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T3/4 Incomplete
  • Injury Date:07-05-2009

Posted 23 May 2011 - 12:24 AM

I have an infected "thing" on my left inner thigh. I had something similar about 6 weeks ago on the back of my left elbow which the doc gave me anti biotics for and after a week it had cleared up, assisted I might add by me banging it on the char in the shower and bursting it! Lots of horrible grey jelly type pus out and a nice crater about 1/2 the size of the tip of you little finger.
Well about 4 weeks ago another appeared on my left inner thigh and it was hot and about 1/2 the size of a golf ball and quite deep under the skin.
Same Dr gave me a 2 week (double )course of anti-b to kill it off and hopefully also remove it from my system. At the end of the course of pills it was almost gone and I as usual just ignored it, bad idea!
It has comeback with a vengeance, same size as before and fiery hot and triggering spasms, Dr prescribed a week course of Co-Amoxiclav . I had a hydrotherapy session on thursday and it was closed and covered by a dressing but it obviously got wet. After getting myself dry there was a patch of skin bright red about the size of an old 1/2 penny and looking like it was about 1 layer thick. I put a new dressing and when I had the district nurse come visit the next morning she took the dressing of and it was burst, lots of the grey jelly pus stuff again she cleaned it up and I have neat wee hole in my thigh that looks the diameter of a match and about 15 mm deep all black inside and hot as hell and sore too. So that was Friday morning and she took swabs, Redressing every morning and night and spraying with iodine around and in the hole and it's continually weeping, not so bad tonight but there is still a big lump deep in my leg.
I'm just a little wary of the results of the swab probably tomorrow.
Anyone had anything like this before? Any idea what it is? I'm nervous because I've been feeling like crap too for about a week or two.

Advice really welcome and any pictures if you have or can google something similar.
Impossible only describes a problem that needs viewed from a different perspective

#2 davjed

davjed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,347 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T12-L1 Incomplete
  • Injury Date:17-12-1961

Posted 23 May 2011 - 01:24 AM

could be mrsa......stay on top of it an good luck.
"DON'T TREAD ON ME"

#3 Edinburgh Colin

Edinburgh Colin

Super Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 05:10 AM

could be mrsa......stay on top of it an good luck.

Thanks Djaved that's what I'm worried about. But I guess we'll see today I hope.
Impossible only describes a problem that needs viewed from a different perspective

#4 airart1

airart1

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,452 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:t-12
  • Injury Date:29-04-1990

Posted 23 May 2011 - 05:22 AM

have u ruled out a bite of some sort? strange, i've never heard of such, i've heard of cellulitus causing red spots and tissue break down, without pressure, maybe the test will help u figure out whats going on........hope for the best.......

#5 Edinburgh Colin

Edinburgh Colin

Super Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 05:41 AM

have u ruled out a bite of some sort? strange, i've never heard of such, i've heard of cellulitus causing red spots and tissue break down, without pressure, maybe the test will help u figure out whats going on........hope for the best.......

I don't think it's a bite (you never know though) when I get some feedback from the Dr today hopefully, I'll post what She thinks.
EC

#6 airart1

airart1

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 05:47 AM

yeah, u usually can tell where it bit u if it was too, but your right, u never know, the tests will hopefully get a handle on whats going on.....let us know, strange occurrrance....

Darryl

#7 roo

roo

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:t 3/4 complete 23yrs now

Posted 23 May 2011 - 05:55 AM

yo colin was also going to mention it may be mrsa ,,hope the result today is good news and keep putting loads of betadine cream on twice daily ,,seens like you are doing the right thing with clean dressing daily etc

let us know how you get on today matey ,,Good luck,,

Roo

ROO'S WHEELCHAIR FRIENDLY VILLAS.
http://www.sunnyrothvillas.com email info@sunnyrothvillas.com

#8 guido

guido

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,220 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L1
  • Injury Date:13-08-2003

Posted 23 May 2011 - 07:03 AM

You've learned the same lesson I have. Ignoring these things is never a good idea! Hope the results come back with just an abscess or infection which wasn't treated long enough last time and was aggravated by its owner who went swimming etc... Had a bad infection and abscess in my bum back in 2005 that caused surgery - and another on my heel in 2007. Both healed up with proper treatment and being religiously looked after by me and dressings nurse, and neither was MRSA. I thought MRSA was quite location specific and didn't travel except by direct contact?

Hope you get it sorted quickly. Let us know.
for UK residents - DisabledGear.com - the FREE-Ads website for 2nd hand disability equipment.

#9 Apparelyzed

Apparelyzed

The Boss!

• **Admin
  • 4,738 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5/6 Anterior Cord
  • Injury Date:02-01-1992

Posted 23 May 2011 - 07:27 AM

Hi Colin,

If it is in a non weight bearing area, it could of been an infected hair follicle, which has developed into a cyst.

Sebaceous cysts are common, and develop into a sac of puss, which due to the sac wall, sometimes needs to be removed for it to heal properly, otherwise it just fills up again.

Regards

Simon.

Posted Image   Posted Image
Follow the Apparelyzed Forum on our Facebook and Twitter feeds.

#10 wheeliebear75

wheeliebear75

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,865 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L2 incomplete ASIA-D
  • Injury Date:04-28-1990

Posted 23 May 2011 - 07:56 AM

I don't know what it is but I wish you the best in getting rid of it. :hug:
*Enjoy every sunset, but be grateful for every dawn.*
*Wheelchairs are made of a special ocular magnetic alloy......they're "eyeball magnets".*
*I USE a wheelchair, that does NOT make ME a wheelchair!*

#11 Edinburgh Colin

Edinburgh Colin

Super Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 07:59 AM

Thanks to you all, I'll hopefully find out later today. Right now I prefer Simon's suggestion!
EC

#12 Anna16

Anna16

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 974 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L2

Posted 23 May 2011 - 08:33 AM

My friend had something similar. Her family friend, who is a nurse, thought it was MRSA. She went to urgent care and they took samples. It turned out to be molloscum.
You want to be really great? Then have the courage to fail big and stick around. Make them wonder why you're still smiling

#13 Tetracyclone

Tetracyclone

Super Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,814 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C-5-7 incomplete
  • Injury Date:27-05-2008

Posted 23 May 2011 - 09:30 AM

STAY OUT OF THE POOL!!!
Pools are notorious for infection us with all manner of things, but most hot pools. They breed bacteria like crazy and it is not possible to clean the pumping mechanisms thoroughly.

Edited by Tetracyclone, 23 May 2011 - 09:34 AM.

#14 greybeard

greybeard

Super Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,779 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L1-L5 incl - Stenosis
  • Injury Date:21-03-2001

Posted 23 May 2011 - 10:07 AM

My money´s on infected hair follicle - triggered by an in-growing hair. Best of luck.

"Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day;  Rage, rage against the dying of the light" 

[Dylan Thomas]

#15 roo

roo

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 10:50 AM

My money´s on infected hair follicle - triggered by an in-growing hair. Best of luck.

mine 2 ,,,, hope all goes well today

#16 Edinburgh Colin

Edinburgh Colin

Super Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 10:56 AM

Well nurse just left and it's not so red and angry, still got the baby mineshaft in the middle though. She will hopefully call me later with the results of the swab.
Cheers folks for your comments.
EC

#17 Edinburgh Colin

Edinburgh Colin

Super Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 01:52 PM

Well it's not MRSA but I'm not sure I can pronounce the name of what it is, sounds like some kind of Greek waiter or something

- ""something retocopolorocusrucsrep something""-.

Anyway new sript Flucloxacillin 500mg x 4 a day for a week.

And we shall see!!!!..........

#18 airart1

airart1

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 03:11 PM

wow, you go to wiki and read what the antibiotic is used for? it gives a list of stuff it is used to treat, specifically,

Staphylococcal skin infections and cellulitis – including impetigo, otitis externa, folliculitis, boils, carbuncles, and mastitis<LI>Pneumonia (adjunct)<LI>Osteomyelitis, septic arthritis<LI>Septicaemia<LI>Empirical treatment for endocarditis<LI>Surgical prophylaxis

so it could be a boil or folliculituis, cellulitus, i'm with GB i bet its a hair follicul infected probably.......just get that booger out of there!!!!

Edited by airart1, 23 May 2011 - 03:12 PM.

#19 edlee

edlee

Super Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,561 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:t-10 complete
  • Injury Date:11-18-2004

Posted 23 May 2011 - 04:04 PM

Follow the above link ( in AA1's post) for folliculitis. Wiki has some things to say you might relate to. Some of the symptoms sound very familiar to your problem.
ed

#20 Edinburgh Colin

Edinburgh Colin

Super Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 04:26 PM

Sounds like you boys could be right, we need to see I had a 14 day course of the same thing when it first showed up a month ago and it failed to kill it (obviously!). Fingers crossed this time!

#21 hooplady

hooplady

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 997 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:Was g/f of T2 complete

Posted 24 May 2011 - 02:37 AM

I was going to guess carbuncle, especially since it burst when you banged it. But who cares...just kill it!

#22 roo

roo

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 05:41 AM

nice 1 soon be sorted with tabs fingers crossed

#23 McTavish

McTavish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,091 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T4 incomplete
  • Injury Date:29-03-2005

Posted 24 May 2011 - 07:40 PM

Maybe them wee Scottish midges have been biting you Colin

#24 Edinburgh Colin

Edinburgh Colin

Super Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 02:33 PM

Well what do you know, got another one! Slightly higher up the same left thigh right in the fold in the groin. Been on Flucloxacillin 500mg x 4 a day for a week again and it seems to have died down. Same deal as last time but 3 little mine shafts this time.
It's Streptococcus and it seems that I am obviously prone to it flaring up.
I thought is was just mildly chaffed skin from the valve on the end of my leg bag tube (temporarily using as a safety net due to increased bladder spasms) but it ruptured and revealed it's true nature.
I am hopefully clear again but have a Dr reviewing it on Monday so if it's not gone then another week of antibiotics it will be.
A bit pissed of as I seem to have been taking too much antibiotics recently for the leg things and also two courses for suspected UTI's that tested negative but exhibited all the symptoms, don't like taking too many antibiotics as it kills off all the wee pals you spend time cultivating in your guts!

Anyway enough griping,
Fingers crossed I'm off the anti-b's for a while.
EC

#25 brockit79

brockit79

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,030 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:t10
  • Injury Date:27-07-2010

Posted 21 October 2011 - 04:25 PM

Well what do you know, got another one! Slightly higher up the same left thigh right in the fold in the groin. Been on Flucloxacillin 500mg x 4 a day for a week again and it seems to have died down. Same deal as last time but 3 little mine shafts this time.
It's Streptococcus and it seems that I am obviously prone to it flaring up.
I thought is was just mildly chaffed skin from the valve on the end of my leg bag tube (temporarily using as a safety net due to increased bladder spasms) but it ruptured and revealed it's true nature.
I am hopefully clear again but have a Dr reviewing it on Monday so if it's not gone then another week of antibiotics it will be.
A bit pissed of as I seem to have been taking too much antibiotics recently for the leg things and also two courses for suspected UTI's that tested negative but exhibited all the symptoms, don't like taking too many antibiotics as it kills off all the wee pals you spend time cultivating in your guts!

Anyway enough griping,
Fingers crossed I'm off the anti-b's for a while.
EC

Hey EC,

Could it be an ingrowing hair which has got infected? A prev ex of mine had this and it is quite common. When you shower try and use an exfoliator; this is a grainy detergent which you can use with hands, flannel or a shower flower thinggy. It is good that you are recovering quickly from these periodic nuisance occurring's which if were pressure related would take longer to heal.

Best of luck
B
Neek me chawa, wermo, mo killie ma klounkee!

#26 greybeard

greybeard

Super Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,779 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L1-L5 incl - Stenosis
  • Injury Date:21-03-2001

Posted 21 October 2011 - 09:57 PM

If it's an in-growing hair, it will keep getting infected until you get the hair out. Get you missus to try hooking it out with a sterilized needle. You might be surprised at the length of the thing is she is successful. It will probably be coiled round on itself, so if she can grab a loop the rest should follow fairly easily..

"Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day;  Rage, rage against the dying of the light" 

[Dylan Thomas]

#27 Edinburgh Colin

Edinburgh Colin

Super Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 10:34 PM

If it's an in-growing hair, it will keep getting infected until you get the hair out. Get you missus to try hooking it out with a sterilized needle. You might be surprised at the length of the thing is she is successful. It will probably be coiled round on itself, so if she can grab a loop the rest should follow fairly easily..

Unfortunately it's not a hair. This one is about 10cm from the last one and is about the diameter of a penny. The infected puss ball for want of a better word was probably the size on a grape and well below the skin.
How it comes to be infected and then develops significantly before it becomes apparent on the surface is a bit of a mystery but given my reduced sensation it can kind of creep up on me. That being said when it breaks the skin and then leaks is is extremely pain full for a few days until the swelling is reduced.
Anyway enough of this, it's not Halloween for another week!
EC

#28 Trinity

Trinity

2nd in Command!

• Moderators
  • 5,041 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T8 complete

Posted 22 October 2011 - 09:00 AM

Sounds like a sebaceous cyst to me, harmless until they get infected

Memento Vivere
Memento Mori

#29 Edinburgh Colin

Edinburgh Colin

Super Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 09:12 AM

Sounds like a sebaceous cyst to me, harmless until they get infected

It's not in the same spot just general location, as I said about 10 cm from the previous site.
Is it possible that it's a recurring infection but in a different location?
If it was a cyst would it not be the same location?

#30 Skid

Skid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C4/5 incomplete / Married

Posted 31 October 2011 - 08:19 PM

I had a lump come up in my groin a few years back, when it burst there was about 1/2 a cupfull of gunky pus came out, it drained for ages, no trouble since.

Spinal Cord Injury & Cauda Equina Syndrome Support

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries and cauda equina syndrome to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.