Welcome to the Apparelyzed Spinal Cord Injury and Cauda Equina Syndrome Support Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to Apparelyzed, an active and vibrant spinal cord injury and cauda equina syndrome support forum. Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of our spinal cord injury support community by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Talk to others in real time in the Chat Room
We look forward to welcoming you to our community and reading your contributions and questions.

Simon
Forum Administrator.

Photo
- - - - -

Sick Of Using Voice Recognition

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Stand

Stand

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 531 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C4 Incomplete, ASIA B
  • Injury Date:08-18-2009

Posted 31 May 2011 - 11:24 PM

I know there are many other pieces of technology out there to use rather than just voice recognition software. Someone recently told me about some kind of program that will follow your eyes but I cannot find anything regarding it. Does anybody know anything about this or have any other suggestions? Thanks a lot!

Edited by Stand117711, 31 May 2011 - 11:25 PM.

If you don't try, you fail.

www.aaronwood.us

#2 MichelleFox

MichelleFox

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:Supporter

Posted 31 May 2011 - 11:56 PM

I know there are many other pieces of technology out there to use rather than just voice recognition software. Someone recently told me about some kind of program that will follow your eyes but I cannot find anything regarding it. Does anybody know anything about this or have any other suggestions? Thanks a lot!

Hi there!

There is a technology called eye tracking that can be used as an assistive device for computer control and communication. By detecting and tracking your pupil, the device can use your eye movement to control a computer mouse completely hands free. This allows you to type on an onscreen keyboard, click icons with blinking or dwelling on the image, and even scroll down a page. Some eye trackers are mounted on a monitor and track your eyes remotely, while others are worn like glasses. Both have their benefits and downsides. I would say that price is the biggest inhibiting factor for these devices becoming more widely available. I work for a company, called Eye-Com Corporation, that has developed a wearable eye tracking device. We don't have a product ready for sale yet, but will on the market in the very near future. Here is the link to the website if you want more information: http://eyecomcorp.co...chnology/ec7t/. I hope this helps!

Sincerely,
Michelle Fox

#3 sh1wn

sh1wn

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 378 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:c3/c4 complete

Posted 01 June 2011 - 11:04 PM

Voice recognization sucked for me, wouldn't get the words right and if I did manage to get a sentence out the damn thing would delete itself!

There are many programs that say you can use a webcam to track movement, the ones I have tried are junk and a waste of time.

What you might try is a smartnav-4 from naturalpoint. I have had mine for 4 years and its still working great. It uses a special camera that sits on top the screen and a reflective dot that goes on your forehead or glasses. When you move your head it moves the mouse on the screen.

You can use a dwell clicker or a switch to click, I used the dwell clicker for the first 2 years and it worked but kinda limited things I could do, then I got a sip-n-puff switch and it is so much better and I would recommend using some sort of switch to click but you can get by with the dwell clicker.

They are kinda spendy, about $500 for the one that allows dwell and switch clicking, and $400 for dwell clicking only. I would go with the $500 one even if you don't plan on getting a switch at first.

Having control of the mouse you can type with a onscreen keyboard like click-n-type but its kinda slow, I have found dasher works great to type longer stuff. It takes a little time to get used to how it works, but its so much faster than the onscreen keyboard.

Anyways thats what has worked best for me.

Natural point Smartnav- http://www.naturalpoint.com/smartnav/

Click-n-type- http://www.lakefolks.org/cnt/

Dasher- http://www.inference...m.ac.uk/dasher/

I don't work for any of them, just a happy user.

#4 St. Peter

St. Peter

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 260 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5

Posted 26 January 2012 - 09:35 PM

I use my iPhone or iPad to type on google doc for my essay
When Intelligence meets a challenge, barriers fall.

#5 Ody

Ody

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C2 quad/me
  • Injury Date:29-04-1980

Posted 28 February 2012 - 05:00 AM

Hi, I'm a C2 32 years post, I've pretty much tried it all. The best product n the market unfortunately isn't being made ant more, but there's a new one, better than the 2 mentioned aböve and it's free. Try givetech.com, it's a wireless mouse converted to a visor, the visor sucks, cut the brim off and put it on a baseball cap with sticky back Velcro unfortunately it only has dwell, but I mae a sip n puff switch for it, if they're still in business, meaning you can get one you can email me at uly7@att.net, you can also check me out on utube my channel is hannablehaims, I skydive, fly stunt kites' motorcycle/w sidecar, target shoot and more. Try it you can do everything on a computer fast!
Wish you well
Randy

ps - if you have questions about anything e me, I'm not a no it all, but, I know a lot.

Spinal Cord Injury & Cauda Equina Syndrome Support

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries and cauda equina syndrome to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.