Welcome to the Apparelyzed Spinal Cord Injury and Cauda Equina Syndrome Support Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to Apparelyzed, an active and vibrant spinal cord injury and cauda equina syndrome support forum. Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of our spinal cord injury support community by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Talk to others in real time in the Chat Room
We look forward to welcoming you to our community and reading your contributions and questions.

Simon
Forum Administrator.

Photo
- - - - -

Longest Living Quadriplegic

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 movenut

movenut

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:c-3,4,5/son
  • Injury Date:08-07-1961

Posted 22 June 2011 - 10:28 PM

Hello all.. my father broke c-3-5 on July 8, 1961 in a diving accident. He has fathered 3 children naturally and worked multiple jobs to provide for our family while my mother stayed at home and raised us kids. He has been active throughout his life and tried many activities including rafting, kayaking, water-skiing, and most recently snow skiing...with mixed results. We got him on the slopes 12 days this year and he loves it! He drives an adapted van and has maintained an amazing level of independence considering he has no hand function and cannot grasp objects. He has been an amazingly optimistic and positive person throughout his life, but it has become more difficult for both of us to stay motivated as the years go by. I am 38 years old and I have been his primary carer for most of my life. His 50th injury-anniversary is coming up in July and I am planning a big party in his honor. I am also working with him on his life story and considering other ways we can help him inspire others. In my research I have found the guinness record holder to be Lani Deauville. I am curious if there are others who have lived over 50 years with quadriplegia. I would welcome any comments or advice..

Nate-Salt Lake
  • airart1 likes this

#2 qbounce

qbounce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,339 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C7 Complete (so I'm told)

Posted 22 June 2011 - 11:46 PM

Yes, the star of our forum's name is Scribbler.
He's a quadriplegic injured in WWII.
Any further details though, should probably come from him.
Anyway, welcome to the site.

Invite him to join this fine site. It's truly a great, therapeutic way help and inspire others who are just beginning to go through what your father has already mastered.
  • Farfelle likes this
When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained. - Mark Twain

#3 greybeard

greybeard

Super Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,886 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L1-L5 incl - Stenosis
  • Injury Date:21-03-2001

Posted 23 June 2011 - 12:02 AM

Yes, the star of our forum's name is Scribbler.
He's a quadriplegic injured in WWII.

:hijack:
WW1 surely? He is very old you know. Wasnt it a Sopwith Camel, or Triplane, or something he used to fly? :lol:

(Sorry Scribbs. Couldnt resist it.)

"Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day;  Rage, rage against the dying of the light" 

[Dylan Thomas]

#4 Wombat !

Wombat !

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:c5

Posted 23 June 2011 - 12:20 AM

i'm only quad for 6 years........50 years?........wow
I want to hang a map of the world in my house, and then Im gonna put pins into all the locations that Ive traveled to. But first Im gonna have to travel to the top two corners of the map so it wont fall down.

#5 davjed

davjed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,357 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T12-L1 Incomplete
  • Injury Date:17-12-1961

Posted 23 June 2011 - 02:44 AM

I'm glad to see another who has been injured longer than me. I'm a t-12/l-1 para injured just 6 months after your dad on Dec. 16/17, 1961. This is my golden year also. I will be 70 next week and the past 15 years have gotten pretty rough. Glad he's still active and involved and maintains a good attitude. Best wishes for continued longevity.
  • airart1, mellowgator and WheelzAR like this
"DON'T TREAD ON ME"

#6 dangerousdave

dangerousdave

Advanced Member

• Closed Account
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,176 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:l2/l3

Posted 23 June 2011 - 09:02 AM

I watched a black and white film on the Boer War and I could have sworn it was Scribbs in that spotting balloon floating over a field full of Zulu's
Can you confirm this Smiley

#7 Smileyblue

Smileyblue

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T8 complete

Posted 23 June 2011 - 09:42 AM

I'm afraid the war was before my time.. Lol.. But it just doesn't sound right.. Our Scribbs doesn't use hot air balloons.. He swings through the vines.. Our own "Tarzan".. He was going to send me photos, but I think they got lost in the mail.. :lol:

What's important is not what happens to us, but how we react to what happens to us..
God gave us two ends, one to think with, n one to sit on.. Success depends on which one u use.. Heads you win, tails u lose..

#8 dangerousdave

dangerousdave

Advanced Member

• Closed Account
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,176 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 12:55 PM

True ... these jungle drums dont work as well as they used toooooooooo
Bloody natives use cell phones now
In Scribbs day it was a can and a bit of string

#9 goose

goose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,226 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C 4/5
  • Injury Date:13-08-1986

Posted 24 June 2011 - 05:25 AM

movenut

First, let me commend you for helping your dad. I'm sure you have a very special bond with him. That's a great idea to give him a party. Are you planning a roast ? He sounds like a man who could inspire the world. Do you have a local TV Station or one close? This would be a great human interest story! What about a newspaper story? 50 Years is a big accomplishment....plan big.

Take pictures and post here. One night bring your dad on here and let him read or share some things with us. I'm sure he could teach us a few things.

Most important thing is have fun at his party!!

Edited by goose, 24 June 2011 - 05:44 AM.

• WheelzAR likes this

#10 nomis

nomis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,999 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:Para T4
  • Injury Date:11-02-1970

Posted 24 June 2011 - 06:43 AM

It's encouraging to hear there are SCIs pushing deep into their older years and still active. I'm a bit of a novice with only 41 years experience at 63 but looking forward to another active decade.

As for Scribs, didn't he get injured in a failed attempt to beat the Wright brothers?

"We are all different - but we share the same human spirit. Perhaps it's human nature that we adapt - and survive." - Stephen Hawking 2013

#11 dangerousdave

dangerousdave

Advanced Member

• Closed Account
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,176 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 09:17 AM

Scribbs did indeed beat the wright brothers
He jumped out of his burning balloon with a clip board in each hand waving franticly as he speedily decened towards a stragiticly placed mound of straw
The air flow over the large clip boards enabled him to guide his decent and miss the stragicaly placed mound of straw
It was noted that the brown clouds ejected from his rear propelled him into a linear decent rather then a straight down fall
Unfortunatly he left his wheeled carrage behind in his haste to avoid the burning wreckage
Thus he now abides in a new fangled wheel carrage

#12 rue2you

rue2you

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,337 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T10 Paraplegic Incomplete

Posted 24 June 2011 - 04:36 PM

Why does it say "Lurker" on his profile?
"We cannot choose the road we are asked to travel, but we can choose to enjoy the ride!"
www.aliciareagan.com

#13 Trinity

Trinity

2nd in Command!

• Moderators
  • 5,041 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 04:56 PM

Why does it say "Lurker" on his profile?

http://www.apparelyz...g-in-the-forum/

Memento Vivere
Memento Mori

#14 Millard

Millard

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,060 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5-C6 Tetraplegia
  • Injury Date:20-07-1967

Posted 24 June 2011 - 06:56 PM

Hello all.. my father broke c-3-5 on July 8, 1961 in a diving accident. He has fathered 3 children naturally and worked multiple jobs to provide for our family while my mother stayed at home and raised us kids. He has been active throughout his life and tried many activities including rafting, kayaking, water-skiing, and most recently snow skiing...with mixed results. We got him on the slopes 12 days this year and he loves it! He drives an adapted van and has maintained an amazing level of independence considering he has no hand function and cannot grasp objects. He has been an amazingly optimistic and positive person throughout his life, but it has become more difficult for both of us to stay motivated as the years go by. I am 38 years old and I have been his primary carer for most of my life. His 50th injury-anniversary is coming up in July and I am planning a big party in his honor. I am also working with him on his life story and considering other ways we can help him inspire others. In my research I have found the guinness record holder to be Lani Deauville. I am curious if there are others who have lived over 50 years with quadriplegia. I would welcome any comments or advice..

Nate-Salt Lake

Hello Nate,

There is a guy, Bill on CareCure who is 72 years old and was injured when he was 15...57 years ago and he's a quad. I have been injured only 44 years. There was a big discussion about Lani Deauville. Bill had been injured longer but Lani is older.

Good luck to you and your Dad.

Millard
"Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid!" - John Wayne

#15 Stand

Stand

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 531 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C4 Incomplete, ASIA B
  • Injury Date:08-18-2009

Posted 25 June 2011 - 01:29 AM

This is very encouraging. I was told that the average life span of a quadriplegic is 67.7 years. Has anyone else ever heard this number or something like it? I guess there are many deciding factors on this as well.

Anyway, good luck and happy anniversary to your father!
If you don't try, you fail.

www.aaronwood.us

#16 shady

shady

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C6 Incomplete

Posted 25 June 2011 - 02:48 PM

This is very encouraging. I was told that the average life span of a quadriplegic is 67.7 years. Has anyone else ever heard this number or something like it? I guess there are many deciding factors on this as well.

Thanks for that really cheery piece of news Stand. At 47 and only 4 years injured, I'll look forward to that now :lol:

#17 Iain

Iain

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T 4/5

Posted 25 June 2011 - 03:41 PM

The mean of a VERY wide range, which is biased towards the lower end by early deaths, so if you exclude 1st year deaths it increases a lot and even more so if you exclude deaths in the first five years

I spend my life looking at the sort of data (for my job - I'm not sad enough to do it for "fun") and average is a pretty useless construct for a lot of health data
  • WheelzAR likes this

#18 Stand

Stand

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 531 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C4 Incomplete, ASIA B
  • Injury Date:08-18-2009

Posted 26 June 2011 - 03:10 AM

Thanks for that really cheery piece of news Stand. At 47 and only 4 years injured, I'll look forward to that now :lol:

I apologize! :D

I hope you live to 67.6 and well beyond!
If you don't try, you fail.

www.aaronwood.us

#19 Millard

Millard

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,060 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5-C6 Tetraplegia
  • Injury Date:20-07-1967

Posted 26 June 2011 - 05:23 PM

When I was in rehab in 1967, I was told the average lifespan of a quadriplegic was 15 years after injury. That was 44 years ago. I guess I must be dead almost three times!!!

Millard
"Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid!" - John Wayne

#20 Smileyblue

Smileyblue

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 10:25 PM

Lol..

Millard, the friendly ghost.. :P

What's important is not what happens to us, but how we react to what happens to us..
God gave us two ends, one to think with, n one to sit on.. Success depends on which one u use.. Heads you win, tails u lose..

#21 catmint

catmint

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,711 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:wife
  • Injury Date:C5/6 complete

Posted 27 June 2011 - 07:40 AM

When I was in rehab in 1967, I was told the average lifespan of a quadriplegic was 15 years after injury. That was 44 years ago. I guess I must be dead almost three times!!!

My husband was injured in 1968.

Good job he wasn't 'Mr Average' or we would never have met.. :mfrlol:

#22 90pound

90pound

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5
  • Injury Date:09-10-1928

Posted 31 March 2012 - 05:53 AM

GWR Mar 21 \'12.png
mother pic resized for sharing web.jpg
  • Ratticis and The Black Vegetable like this

#23 munkypoop

munkypoop

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 667 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C4/5 incomplete quad
  • Injury Date:10-05-2007

Posted 01 April 2012 - 01:56 AM

When I was in Baltimore, Maryland, I was told by the doctor there that quadriplegic's life expectancy, providing they are in good health condition as far as health in paralyzed people goes, is 60 – 65 years old. Now this is from the arguably best spinal cord injury Dr. in the United States at the Kennedy Krieger Institute.
Imagine what I do when I need to laugh or feel better. Imagine a purple hippo standing up straight wearing pink clown shoes and juggling lime green Jell-O squares!

#24 Gator Access

Gator Access

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5-7 / Married
  • Injury Date:May 12, 1956

Posted 25 August 2012 - 09:39 PM

I'm a C5-7, complete. My diving accident was on May 12, 1956 which means I've been injured 56 years. I have a BA degree in Business Administration and worked until 1988. I've been married since June 3, 1961. We adopted a baby girl in April 1968.
  • WheelzAR likes this

#25 movenut

movenut

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:c-3,4,5/son
  • Injury Date:08-07-1961

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:03 AM

Hello all,  

I started this forum a while back.  My dad Mark Christiansen was going through a particularly difficult time and so was I. I have been his primary caregiver for most of my life and at times the situation seems unbearable for both of us.  I'm sure many of you can relate.  Your words and responses helped tremendously.  I am happy to say that me and Mark are both back on track and doing better than ever.  During and after that difficult period in 2011 I had a realization.  I need to share the story of my dad and my family.  I was born in 1973 and I have 2 younger sisters.  We are all Mark's biological children. I'm not sure how unusual it is for a quad to have sexual function but luckily my dad did. We've had an amazing life.  Mark has tried water skiing, snow skiing, tubing, kayaking, rafting, and he's done quite a bit of traveling. He's dropped accidentally from a ski lift,  driven his wheelchair into a canal and nearly drown, and been left in bed for 2 days with no food or water.  That's the tip of the iceberg. He still drives, does community service, and stays positive most of the time. I find that miraculous.  I'm now working full time to tell our story and I'm sharing it on facebook.  I would like to spend more time in this forum, but I simply can't keep up with it all. We would both love to connect with you at "Mark Christiansen" public figure.  Thank you all again for helping to pick us both up while we were down.

Nate Christiansen

Salt Lake City

801-550-7889  

#26 Jill2go

Jill2go

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C6
  • Injury Date:25-06-1956

Posted 02 October 2013 - 03:33 PM

I have searched the web for years for this type of information.  This site is the only comprehensive information that I could find.

My uncle was injured and became a quadriplegic on June 25, 1956.  The treatments back then were like something out of a  horror film.  The struggles he had to endure would make anyone cringe.  Yet he has always been a strong man with courage beyond my understanding. 

After his injury he began and graduated from college with a degree in accounting all the while advocating for the disabled.  He acquired a position with the IRS as a traveling field agent, living on his own and staying in hotels on the road.  He was the handicapped federal employee of the year and up for the federal employee of the year.  He married and celebrated their 50 year anniversary, recently he lost his wife turning his life upside down yet again. 

I also struggle with the challenge to improve his quality of life.  I am surprised that there are not more handicapped friendly computer programs out there.  His hand function has decreased even more with age and further injuries from the physical therapist who is not prepared to work with someone in his situation.

He was also given a life expectancy of 15 years post injury.  What a surprise to the world that these "professionals" would be so brazen to offer such an opinion.

I forgot to mention that my uncle is 77 years old and injured at 21.  Remarkable love of life for such a difficult situation.

Edited by Jill2go, 02 October 2013 - 08:12 PM.

#27 Butterfly-H

Butterfly-H

• Members
  • Pip
  • 94 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:c5

Posted 02 October 2013 - 04:33 PM

So for all of you long tiners, what are your tips to longevity and happiness and comfort. My guy is 42 yrs in and we have been together since 2010. I am 18 yrs younger and so want and dream of many more years together. What are your best tip to get us there. Lucky for us he takes awesome care of himself.
So for all of you long tiners, what are your tips to longevity and happiness and comfort. My guy is 42 yrs in and we have been together since 2010. I am 18 yrs younger and so want and dream of many more years together. What are your best tip to get us there. Lucky for us he takes awesome care of himself.

#28 Jill2go

Jill2go

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C6
  • Injury Date:25-06-1956

Posted 11 October 2013 - 12:44 PM

There are several things I attribute his longevity to.  First, he is one determined man and can accept a fight.  I hate when he has no fight in him.  Second, he had insisted on using a manual chair for as long as he could because he said that it gave him upper body strength and cardio workout.  Third, he knows his body better than anyone and discussed diagnosis with his doctors.  Everyone should be a participant in recommended treatments; and study to understand the meds and how they effect their bodies. (The few meds the better is his opinion and they work to some degree, but he still suffers with occasional bladder issues, bed sores are monitored closely when he gets them, and spasms are his constant occasional companion.)  Fourth, find the joy in life as best you can. Life kicks us, we suffer losses, and sometimes we feel sorry for ourselves...it's human nature; and sometimes we need to dig deep to find the good in life. Fifth, a strong support system is essential, no matter where we find it.  Finally, Faith and Hope.

He is my rock and my Superman. I wish I had his superpowers:))

#29 Gator Access

Gator Access

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5-7 / Married
  • Injury Date:May 12, 1956

Posted 11 May 2014 - 11:32 PM

Hi All, especially Jill2Go and movenut (Nate Christiansen),  My LinkenIn profile can be found here:  https://www.linkedin...cher/10/391/5a7  My injury, C5-7 complete occured on May 12, 1956.  I know a gentleman in South Caroliina who broke his neck in November 1955.  Jill and Nate, my e-mail address is on my LinkedIn profile.

Spinal Cord Injury & Cauda Equina Syndrome Support

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries and cauda equina syndrome to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.