PaulC

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T-10 Transverse Myelitis
  • Injury Date:15-04-2009

Posted 09 July 2011 - 12:07 AM

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience have a home modified? My wife and I have decided to look for a house but every home we come across will have to be modified in some way. I know this can add up to a major expense. Anyone know foundations or grants that may be able to help us with this? It seriously hurts my pride to ask for help but it is what it is. And our loan will not cover the expenses if home mods.

Thanks!

-Paul

#2 sci1998

sci1998

Intermediate Member

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:t11 Admin Note: Banned for Trolling

Posted 09 July 2011 - 12:51 AM

Wow, I answered your post before and I see it didn't go through. Basically what I sugessted was light switches that have sensors, It's so nice not to lose the use of a hand when entering a room to flick on the light. They also can be set not to switch the light on when there is suffiecent light in the room. Another suggestion is if you have ceiling fans to use a remote to control the fan and the fan light, or instead of a fan light as I have done, I have it wired instead to recessed lights. Good luck
PS I think you might get more replies if you have your post moved to the right forum: Adaptive Equipment, Home Adaptations, Clothing & Tips Subforums

Edited by sci1998, 09 July 2011 - 12:55 AM.

#3 snodrog742

snodrog742

• Members
  • Pip
  • 141 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5 Complete

Posted 09 July 2011 - 02:00 AM

Look into your Department of Rehabilitative Services. I know I'm eligible for a rolling 5 year, $25,000 from them. It has restrictions of course but worth a shot

#4 PaulC

PaulC

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T-10 Transverse Myelitis
  • Injury Date:15-04-2009

Posted 09 July 2011 - 02:31 AM

Look into your Department of Rehabilitative Services. I know I'm eligible for a rolling 5 year, $25,000 from them. It has restrictions of course but worth a shot

Thanks! I would have never thought of that :D I'll contact them Monday.

#5 wheeliebear75

wheeliebear75

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,865 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L2 incomplete ASIA-D
  • Injury Date:04-28-1990

Posted 09 July 2011 - 04:35 AM

One of the most common issues is getting into the bathroom; if you find that her chair could fit if it were just a few inches narrower, try removing the door off the door-jam & store it in a hall closet or the garage so it can be put back on if you move, & use a shower curtain & rod across for privacy.

It might help though if we knew what SPECIFIC limitations/frustrations you have with standard housing/floor plans since it will help us to better help you.
*Enjoy every sunset, but be grateful for every dawn.*
*Wheelchairs are made of a special ocular magnetic alloy......they're "eyeball magnets".*
*I USE a wheelchair, that does NOT make ME a wheelchair!*

#6 Smileyblue

Smileyblue

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T8 complete

Posted 09 July 2011 - 09:10 AM

Since you haven't selected a house yet, I would say to choose one that needs the least building alterations as those are the expensive bits.. Find one with little or no stairs, wide enough doorways and hallways, turning space (in kitchen and bathroom for eg), and manageable cupboards, light switches, doors, etc..

If you have all the big things in check, then you can focus on making the small adjustments that cost less, and make life more comfortable..

In my home (I had already bought before my SCI) I had to totally remodel my kitchen, bathroom and bedroom, and build a brand new entrance way with a ramp.. There is still a portion of my home that is inaccessible, but its not crucial to me and I have a domestic worker that helps me to keep it clean and ready for guests..

For me, the kitchen and shower were critical areas which I changed to be able to manage on my own, but are still good for AB's as well.. If you wish, I could send you photos via email for ideas.. Just drop me a PM.. ;-)

What's important is not what happens to us, but how we react to what happens to us..
God gave us two ends, one to think with, n one to sit on.. Success depends on which one u use.. Heads you win, tails u lose..

#7 Smileyblue

Smileyblue

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T8 complete

Posted 09 July 2011 - 09:10 AM

I don't know why this posted twice! Oops.. :blushing02:

Edited by Smileyblue, 09 July 2011 - 09:13 AM.

What's important is not what happens to us, but how we react to what happens to us..
God gave us two ends, one to think with, n one to sit on.. Success depends on which one u use.. Heads you win, tails u lose..

#8 mcwriter

mcwriter

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 661 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:spouse of L4-L5-S1

Posted 09 July 2011 - 05:23 PM

Us, too.

Are there some threads on here about this with links for info? What would I search under to find these?

We have an existing house that needs some modifications

#9 wheeliebear75

wheeliebear75

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,865 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L2 incomplete ASIA-D
  • Injury Date:04-28-1990

Posted 09 July 2011 - 09:58 PM

Oh I forgot to mention we've got cloth loops tied to many of the doors so that I can hook my arm through the loop & be able to have both hands free to wheelie over the thresholds & yet still be able to close the door....a few mods are easy & affordable.
*Enjoy every sunset, but be grateful for every dawn.*
*Wheelchairs are made of a special ocular magnetic alloy......they're "eyeball magnets".*
*I USE a wheelchair, that does NOT make ME a wheelchair!*

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.