#1 Apparelyzed

Apparelyzed

The Boss!

• **Admin
  • 4,704 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5/6 Anterior Cord
  • Injury Date:02-01-1992

Posted 15 January 2005 - 11:54 AM

If you are suffering from swollen feet, and are having problems getting your shoes on, buy some compression socks/stockings.

They will help pump the excess fluid back up the legs, and reduce the swelling. You can wear them under your normal socks, so nobody will notice.

These compression garments also help reduce the risk of a Deep Vein Thrombosis (blood clot), due to you not moving your legs.

Simon

Posted Image   Posted Image
Follow the Apparelyzed Forum on our Facebook and Twitter feeds.

#2 *Guest*

*Guest*
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2005 - 04:26 PM

Are the ones used for air travel OK for this?

Oh, and by the way, anyone got any solution to the tournique effect of leg bag straps?

#3 Joed

Joed

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,284 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:Incomplete para
  • Injury Date:04-29-1959

Posted 18 January 2005 - 08:16 PM

I cannot be without my support hose...I even sleep in mine.

As for the leg bag constriction, I have no first-hand experience with that, but I do have a similar problem with the support hose rolling down at the top, creating a tourniquet-like effect.

I'm wondering if it would help to sew a band of stiffer material around the top of the stocking, turn it down and inside, to protect my skin.

Likewise, it may help with the leg bag problem, if you placed a wider band of stiffer, but soft, material under the straps to more evenly distribute the pressure of the strap?

Female. Incomplete para following a cord stroke in '03. Spina-bifida, severe scoliosis. 18 surgeries total...five spine-related: Three fusions w/hardware, two tethered cord releases.

#4 Apparelyzed

Apparelyzed

The Boss!

• **Admin
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 03:00 PM

I'm not sure about the Air Travel Stockings, but I don't see why not.

I was going to buy a pair as they are on offer at the moment, and they're the closed toe type in black. This means I won't have to wear socks over the top of them.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Simon

#5 JR71

JR71

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 10:33 PM

I cannot be without my support hose...I even sleep in mine.

Me too, I wear them all the time and have since my injury in 1995.

I haven't had any problems with swelling or blood clots...*knock on wood! :)

#6 Apparelyzed

Apparelyzed

The Boss!

• **Admin
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 08:47 AM

Hi all,

I've just been talking to a pharmacist, and they said that if you have been prescribed your support stockings by a doctor, you shouldn't replace them with air travel socks as they are both designed to do different jobs.

I think the stockings prescribed by doctors give a higher degree of compression to pump all those fluids back up the legs in someone who is paralysed. Whereas travel socks are not as good at pushing the fluids back up as they are designed for abled bodied people.

You may still be able to get closed toe stockings though to stop the end of the stockings digging into your toes.

I'll see what's available.

Simon.

#7 Apparelyzed

Apparelyzed

The Boss!

• **Admin
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 09 February 2005 - 04:34 PM

Here we go, these closed toe socks give good compression for venous return, and if you're in the UK, you can get them on prescription for free.

I've had mine on for about a week now, and they're fine, no more crimped toes!

Simon.

Attached Thumbnails

• compsocks.jpg

#8 *Guest*

*Guest*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2005 - 08:08 PM

Thanks, just sent a prescription request/fax off to my doctors.

#9 keps

keps

• Members
  • Pip
  • 128 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T4

Posted 17 August 2005 - 03:13 PM

I want to wear my stockings as I know they reduce swelling, but I get bad marks on my feet from them, so I don't bother. I even got a sore from them while I was in the spinal injuries unit (I was totally dependent then, so it wasn't my fault!!)
Paraplegic since Sept 30th 2004 (spontaneous spinal extradural haematoma).

#10 Apparelyzed

Apparelyzed

The Boss!

• **Admin
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 04:10 PM

Keps,

Did you turn them inside out so the seams are on the outside?

I find this helps reduce crease marks, it works with socks as well.

Also, the open toe type may cut into your toes, try the closed toe type.

Simon :lol:

#11 AHolland

AHolland

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 331 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T3/T4/T5 complete severe

Posted 20 August 2005 - 11:59 PM

Another angle is to wear socks that go to a different level on your feet. I know that they come in a number of different lengths: ankle, knee, over knee, upper thigh. Although, not recommended, you can pre-stretch or break down the upper sock to reduce the dreaded red ring. Just take some time to stretch it in the problem area until it does not constrict much.

I wear the knee high socks and the red ring use to get me at the upper calf where the sock ends. I just stretched the heck out of it in that area and now don't have that problem.
T4/T5

#12 Margaret Cameron

Margaret Cameron

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L1 incomplete

Posted 24 August 2005 - 03:48 PM

Very interested in swollen feet topic as i have been having some problems.
Having tried over the last almost 9 years to find socks which don't mark my feet i have now found some excellent ones from a company called Phiten.
These socks are so well shaped around the ankles and are also impregnated with titanium which helps reduce leg pain. Would really recommend then, not so sure about air travel but they have made and amazing difference to me :)
They are available online from www.metacog.co.uk
Hope this is of some help

#13 keps

keps

• Members
  • Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 03:48 PM

Keps,

Did you turn them inside out so the seams are on the outside?

I find this helps reduce crease marks, it works with socks as well.

Also, the open toe type may cut into your toes, try the closed toe type.

Simon :)

No, it's not from the seams that I get marks.

It's on the natural bend in the foot that is on the top of the foot, where the foot joins the leg. If that makes sense! There's no seam there, but the socks just seem to cut into my feet.

That's where I get bad marks from compression stockings. I'm fine with ordinary socks, though.

#14 Apparelyzed

Apparelyzed

The Boss!

• **Admin
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 03:59 PM

I also had that problem. I wait until my foot is on the footplate in the position I wish it to be in, and then pull the stocking up slightly.

This pulls the stocking out of the crease on the top of your foot, relieving the pressure.

Regards

Simon.

#15 keps

keps

• Members
  • Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 08:51 AM

OMG, I can't believe I'd never thought of that!!!!
How on earth did I not think of pulling them up after getting up?

I feel really thick now!

Ok, so I'll try it soon...I hope it works.

I'll let you know how it goes!

#16 keps

keps

• Members
  • Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 05:36 PM

Alright, so I tried your tip, and I really thought it might work for me but.....
AAAAARRRRRGGGHH!
It didn't!

I'm just going to stick with fat feet, I think!

Thanks for the tip, anyway.

#17 Apparelyzed

Apparelyzed

The Boss!

• **Admin
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 09:59 AM

Hi Keps,

Sorry to hear the tip didn't work :lol: , still, it was worth a try.

Regards

Simon.

#18 *Shayne*

*Shayne*
  • Guests

Posted 05 October 2005 - 04:35 AM

I was told that I would have to get used to the swollen feet & pressure in the lower legs after my accident. I now see a reflexologist once a week and have never had a problem unless I miss my appointment for some reason.......

#19 sue willis

sue willis

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C6

Posted 10 January 2009 - 12:55 PM

Are the ones used for air travel OK for this?

Oh, and by the way, anyone got any solution to the tournique effect of leg bag straps?

For the tournique effect try using the "urocare leg bag holder" its great and comes in different sizes and for lower or upper leg

#20 cate

cate

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 224 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:daughter has c5 c6 sci

Posted 10 January 2009 - 01:19 PM

Hi All, with regard to swollen feet and legs, Would suggest you talk to your Drs, about lymphodema, which is not the same as odema, my daughter has this, normal ly related to cancer and the lymph nodes, but can be caused by stress/trauma as in her case. not too many lymph clinics around, but there stockings are made to measure, and are check regularly, in her case, she likes no toes in her stockings, suits her better, The measurements are very important. I think the leg is measured every couple of inches, Sorry to say a lot of GP's appear not know much about it, and even in some cases try to say nothing can be done. do not listen. it is a serious and painful problem, there is a UK Lymph site, Hope that is of some interest to you, and of course these stockings are also on prescription,
Cate

#21 allis53ca

allis53ca

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 771 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:c-5
  • Injury Date:08-09-2003

Posted 10 January 2009 - 07:33 PM

ted hose are hard for quads to deal with...i've been wearing them for 3 months now and theyre difficult, at best....i only have to deal w/them 3 more weeks til my ampu. surg....it'll be nice not to have to deal with shoes and hose anymore

#22 Quad65

Quad65

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 524 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5-C6 Quad

Posted 10 January 2009 - 08:11 PM

I use over-the-calf men's support socks. Gold Toe makes a good quality product. They're shaped like your lower leg and give good support. I just have the tops folded down so they don't cut into the back of my knee. That also provides a bit of a 'shelf' for my leg-bag strap to sit above. That way, it won't slide down my leg. They run about $9 a pair, at JC Penney.
-- Whatever doesn't kill you, makes you want to get even real bad.

#23 lune14

lune14

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 633 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T11 complete

Posted 11 January 2009 - 04:38 AM

Kep,

I had the same problem at the top of my foot... it was red in the crease from my compression socks. Simon's suggestion was something I tried in the beginning but to no avail. What DID work was just a small piece of cotton batting, the type used to wrap over sterile bandages (it comes in rolls like sterile guaze), placed at that part of my foot, then the sock pulled over it, did the trick perfectly.
Where there's a hill there's a way!!

Hey! Bring back my cape, I'm not done being invincible!!

#24 greybeard

greybeard

Super Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,757 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L1-L5 incl - Stenosis
  • Injury Date:21-03-2001

Posted 14 February 2009 - 09:04 AM

Here we go, these closed toe socks give good compression for venous return, and if you're in the UK, you can get them on prescription for free.

Simon.

Hi all,
I tried the Scholls but because the toe section had the same degree of compression as the ankle, they tended to squash my toes together too much.

I have just got some socks, rather than stockings, from here:
http://www.pebbleuk....s_socks.html#a7
and although they are a bit more expensive than the Scholls the toe section is slack - no compression at all, which makes them much more comfortable. I don't know whether they are available on prescription in the UK.

"Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day;  Rage, rage against the dying of the light" 

[Dylan Thomas]

#25 greybeard

greybeard

Super Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,757 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 02:41 PM

If you are suffering from swollen feet, and are having problems getting your shoes on, buy some compression socks/stockings.

They will help pump the excess fluid back up the legs, and reduce the swelling. You can wear them under your normal socks, so nobody will notice.

These compression garments also help reduce the risk of a Deep Vein Thrombosis (blood clot), due to you not moving your legs.

Simon

A quick word of caution on this. Talk to your doctor before buying any compression socks or stockings!

I've just had a finger-wagging from my doc. I tried several brands of pressure socks and they did reduce the swelling in my ankles and feet but I found that my feet were then permanently very cold, even when the socks were taken off at night.

When I mentioned this to the doc, she immediately examined my feet and announced that I had poor arterial circulation in both feet, and that on no account should I ever wear pressure socks. She has referred me for further tests to establish whether medical intervention is required.

Anybody wanna buy some second hand, almost clean pressure socks? :)

"Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day;  Rage, rage against the dying of the light" 

[Dylan Thomas]

#26 greybeard

greybeard

Super Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,757 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 11:25 AM

Quick update on this : Had "Doppler" test that confirmed my arterial circulation was fine. Doc had change of heart and I'm now back to wearing compression socks !

Having said that, it's still a good idea to check with a doc before going ahead with them.

(Second hand socks no longer for sale :) )

Edited by greybeard, 22 March 2009 - 11:26 AM.

[Dylan Thomas]

#27 CR_L1

CR_L1

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 657 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L1 L2 L5 S1 incomp

Posted 12 July 2009 - 02:39 PM

Hi all,

This board still amazes me with the info that can be found here,
I was going to post asking the question that is answered in this old thread, so off to doctors Monday to get my feet checked for the swelling.

In a earlier post on this thread someone asked about leg selling because of the leg bag straps, for any who don’t know Bard do “Urisleeve™” & Coloplast “AquaSleeve” which hold the leg bag.
I use the aquasleeve & they work great.
Hope info is of use,
CR
I am probably depriving a village of an idiot
I use to be indecisive but Im not so sure anymore

#28 Speedyj

Speedyj

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C4 - C5

Posted 16 July 2009 - 07:09 PM

Simon.

Are these the stockings or Jowb Stocking, hooppe I spelt that right.

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.