Welcome to the Apparelyzed Spinal Cord Injury and Cauda Equina Syndrome Support Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to Apparelyzed, an active and vibrant spinal cord injury and cauda equina syndrome support forum. Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of our spinal cord injury support community by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Talk to others in real time in the Chat Room
We look forward to welcoming you to our community and reading your contributions and questions.

Simon
Forum Administrator.

Photo
* * * - - 1 votes

D-Mannose Side Effects

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Smileyblue

Smileyblue

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T8 complete

Posted 21 July 2011 - 05:25 PM

I started taking VRP D-Mannose Plus to try to rid myself of this e-coli infection that has been plaguing me..

They recommend 4-5 teaspoons mixed with water to get rid of infection, then 1 teaspoon a day after that, to maintain a e-coli free bladder..

My question comes after SEVERE abdominal cramping combined with more pain than usual today.. Could this be a side-effect of the D-Mannose?

I read that large doses may cause kidney damage and bloating, so I've reduced from 5 times a day and will go to 3 times a day..

What's important is not what happens to us, but how we react to what happens to us..
God gave us two ends, one to think with, n one to sit on.. Success depends on which one u use.. Heads you win, tails u lose..

#2 Millard

Millard

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,060 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5-C6 Tetraplegia
  • Injury Date:20-07-1967

Posted 21 July 2011 - 08:47 PM

I started taking VRP D-Mannose Plus to try to rid myself of this e-coli infection that has been plaguing me..

They recommend 4-5 teaspoons mixed with water to get rid of infection, then 1 teaspoon a day after that, to maintain a e-coli free bladder..

My question comes after SEVERE abdominal cramping combined with more pain than usual today.. Could this be a side-effect of the D-Mannose?

I read that large doses may cause kidney damage and bloating, so I've reduced from 5 times a day and will go to 3 times a day..

Hello SB,

The only side effect I had was leaking. Other that that, everything seemed okay.

Good luck.

Millard
"Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid!" - John Wayne

#3 Smileyblue

Smileyblue

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 09:33 PM

Thanks Millard, that's comforting..

But now the cramping has spread to my neck, arms, back, and shoulders too.. Now I'm really confused!

This is one crappy ride I'm on!

What's important is not what happens to us, but how we react to what happens to us..
God gave us two ends, one to think with, n one to sit on.. Success depends on which one u use.. Heads you win, tails u lose..

#4 greybeard

greybeard

Super Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,884 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L1-L5 incl - Stenosis
  • Injury Date:21-03-2001

Posted 21 July 2011 - 10:16 PM

Hiya Smiley,

Here´s a cut and paste that might offer some relief: I was prescribed 200mg of Quinine Sulphate each night to prevent my cramps. They work for me. It is possible that the large volume of water you are drinking every day has flushed too much salt from your system. Try adding more salt to your food and bananas for potassium.

>>>>>>Home Care
At the first sign of a muscle spasm, stop your activity and try stretching and massaging the affected muscle. Heat will relax the muscle when the spasm begins, but ice may be helpful after the first spasm and when the pain has improved.

If the muscle is still sore, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications can help with pain. If the muscle cramps are severe, your health care provider can prescribe anti-spasm medications.

The most common cause of muscle cramps during sports activity is dehydration. Often, drinking water will ease the cramping. However, water alone doesn't always help. Salt tablets or sports drinks, which also replenish lost minerals, can be helpful.

Other tips for relieving muscle cramps:

• Change your workouts so that you are exercising within your ability.
  • Drink plenty of fluids while exercising and increase your potassium intake (orange juice and bananas are great sources of potassium).
  • Stretch to improve flexibility.
When to Contact a Medical Professional
Call your doctor if your muscle cramps:

• Are severe
  • Do not go away with simple stretching
  • Keep coming back
  • Last a long time
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Edited by greybeard, 21 July 2011 - 10:18 PM.

"Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day;  Rage, rage against the dying of the light" 

[Dylan Thomas]

#5 Smileyblue

Smileyblue

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 10:53 PM

Thanks GB! That is very informative and I think might be the answer.. I'll get Mummy to buy me some orange juice tomorrow, and eat more salt (even if I can't stand it) Lol..

#6 greybeard

greybeard

Super Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,884 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 11:01 PM

and eat more salt (even if I can't stand it) Lol..

Try salt tablets then.

You might also try re-hydration mixtures (e.g. dioralyte) instead of plain water. They contain all the salts needed and donīt taste unpleasant.

"Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day;  Rage, rage against the dying of the light" 

[Dylan Thomas]

#7 Tetracyclone

Tetracyclone

Super Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,038 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C-5-7 incomplete
  • Injury Date:27-05-2008

Posted 21 July 2011 - 11:40 PM

Smiley-
Consider cutting back to a very low dosage, or none to see if the cramps go away (if GBs idea does not work, but he is right that the cramps could be unrelated) . Then increase gradually until you find how much you can tolerate. The suggested dosage is massive.

My brand recommends only 1 to 2 level teaspoons per day.

#8 sh1wn

sh1wn

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 378 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:c3/c4 complete

Posted 22 July 2011 - 01:29 AM

Kinda a strange suggestion for a guy to make but midol can help sometimes.

#9 goose

goose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,226 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C 4/5
  • Injury Date:13-08-1986

Posted 22 July 2011 - 04:14 AM

Hey Smileyblue

Have you had your potassium levels checked? I take a potassium tablet when my legs start cramping. On the bottle it says its good for muscles and nerve ending. I 'll take them for a week and then when ever I think I might need one.

I also take D-Mannose but in pill form. I take 3 pills twice a day for preventive measures and if I think a UTI is brewing I'll bump it up to 4 pills twice a day. I think that's 2000 mg a dose. They work great for me with no side effects and I've been taking them for years. I've only had to take an antibiotic once in the last 3 years but I do drink lots of water. I sip it all day long.

#10 Edinburgh Colin

Edinburgh Colin

Super Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,014 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T3/4 Incomplete
  • Injury Date:07-05-2009

Posted 22 July 2011 - 07:14 AM

Smiley, you need to watch if your Potassium levels drop too much as it's bad for your smooth muscles, that includes your heart!

If you have been drinking a lot or taking diuretics the levels will fall, get your bloods done or take some supplements for a couple of days as insurance.

Good luck been a long journey and you need to get to the end.

EC

Impossible only describes a problem that needs viewed from a different perspective

#11 Smileyblue

Smileyblue

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 04:58 PM

Thanks everyone..

I have started drinking orange juice today and reduced the dosage to only twice a day.. I was quite shocked how much higher the values were in this powder, to what was mentioned above..

This one contains (per serving of 1 level teaspoon):
60mg Vitamin C
1500mg D-Mannose
800mg Cranberry extract

That was another motivator to reduce the dosage as I believe excessive cranberry extract may cause kidney stones.. :yikes:

I don't know whether it was the dosage reduction, or whether it was the addition of orange juice, or perhaps even Mummy's "camphor in the bed" remedy, but something has helped.. The cramps are greatly reduced, even if they're not completely gone..

I can't thank you guys enough for all the helpful information and advice you've given me.. :wub:

#12 Edinburgh Colin

Edinburgh Colin

Super Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,014 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 07:24 PM

Thanks everyone..

I have started drinking orange juice today and reduced the dosage to only twice a day.. I was quite shocked how much higher the values were in this powder, to what was mentioned above..

This one contains (per serving of 1 level teaspoon):
60mg Vitamin C
1500mg D-Mannose
800mg Cranberry extract

That was another motivator to reduce the dosage as I believe excessive cranberry extract may cause kidney stones.. :yikes:

I don't know whether it was the dosage reduction, or whether it was the addition of orange juice, or perhaps even Mummy's "camphor in the bed" remedy, but something has helped.. The cramps are greatly reduced, even if they're not completely gone..

I can't thank you guys enough for all the helpful information and advice you've given me.. :wub:

You don't need to thank us, you're the one doing all the hard work!!

Good for you and the thanks will be when you post that you have finally beaten the little blighters!

EC

Impossible only describes a problem that needs viewed from a different perspective

#13 dingle

dingle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 107 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C7

Posted 25 July 2011 - 07:01 AM

:head_brick_wall-1:
Hello
I started to use D-Mannose and it made me ill and I had to go in to hospital,
if I was you I would stop it now.

#14 greybeard

greybeard

Super Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,884 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 07:14 AM

What symptoms? What diagnosis? What treatment? What outcome?

Answers to all / any of the above would be more helpful than your one-line statement.

[Dylan Thomas]

#15 Bobo1974

Bobo1974

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 231 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:c3-4-5

Posted 25 July 2011 - 02:46 PM

I have used D-Mannose for the past 5 years and I have had no problems. My UTI's have been almost non-existent. I do three scoopfuls a day
My Facebook Page
I have learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.

#16 Smileyblue

Smileyblue

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 02:58 PM

What symptoms? What diagnosis? What treatment? What outcome?

Answers to all / any of the above would be more helpful than your one-line statement.

Thanks GB.. My thoughts too.. ;-)

Thanks to everyone for your responses.. We'll be doing more tests today to see how things are going since I reduced the dosage..

#17 Edinburgh Colin

Edinburgh Colin

Super Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,014 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 04:11 PM

Fingers crossed for you Smiley, expect success ....... hopefully.

EC

#18 Smileyblue

Smileyblue

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 04:26 AM

After being rudely awakened by the same EXCRUCIATING cramps this morning, I think I have the cause figured out..

The catheter was blocked.. Once we managed to unblock it, it drained almost 2 litres again! Mummy says that she thinks it was blocked last time too..

This darn gunk! I am at my wits end!

#19 Tetracyclone

Tetracyclone

Super Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,038 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C-5-7 incomplete
  • Injury Date:27-05-2008

Posted 01 August 2011 - 11:41 AM

After being rudely awakened by the same EXCRUCIATING cramps this morning, I think I have the cause figured out..

The catheter was blocked.. Once we managed to unblock it, it drained almost 2 litres again! Mummy says that she thinks it was blocked last time too..

This darn gunk! I am at my wits end!

Deja vue all over again. I send tiny ninja blender spirits to smooth out the bladder contents. Let me know if they get to the right address. If not, post a new photo for me to meditate on. :assassin:

Edited by Tetracyclone, 01 August 2011 - 11:42 AM.

#20 Smileyblue

Smileyblue

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 12:24 PM

Thanks Pat.. :hug:

My urine is so bloody its gone dark orange.. I'm worried what this could mean.. Plus I'm so sore that breathing hurts.. Just plain miserable I guess..

Gonna try phone my doctor and see what she thinks I should do.. I hope she takes my call and she doesn't expect me to go see her coz I'm just too sore for that..

Spinal Cord Injury & Cauda Equina Syndrome Support

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries and cauda equina syndrome to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.