Photo
- - - - -

Can't Get My Body Regulated To A Bowel Program!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Vaulti Mila

Vaulti Mila

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T6-T7 Incomplete

Posted 24 July 2011 - 08:30 PM

Sorry guys, I know there are a million posts about regulating borel programs, but none were helpful to me....

I usually go every day, I've even stopped taking the softeners and still go every day, but it seems like every time I sit on the commode to pee, I also need to poop. I always glove up and make sure I'm completely done before getting up, but this is REALLY time consuming and has started to cause some soreness on my bum because it takes so long for it to get to that point, even when I have to go up and get it myself! Because of this, it makes me nervous to go out anywhere because I don't want to have to stay in any public bathroom for an hour or so just to finish that up.

At this point I don't need to use any enemas or suppositories (yay) but still at the same time not being able to stop it is just a little irritating. My mom (she's a nurse) told me to just hold it like I did before my surgery, but I'm afraid I won't actually be able to hold it (really, more certain that I wouldn't be able to hold it more than two minutes before it all just starts to escape on it's own...)

Has anyone else had an issue like this? Is there any way to train my bowels to go at certain times of the day, or am I just kinda doomed to poo all the time? It's really gotten kinda problematic.
Don't limit your challenges, challenge your limits!

#2 Astack23

Astack23

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:t-12 complete

Posted 24 July 2011 - 09:36 PM

When I'm doing well I have my bowel trained to go every morning. So yes, you can train it. that being said...I can totally relate! I'm having trouble going at the moment so all I can say is I can relate to the trouble you're having with the bowel program
One must have a strong will to make it.

#3 Smileyblue

Smileyblue

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T8 complete

Posted 24 July 2011 - 09:59 PM

I wouldn't stop the suppositories or enemas (if that's what you were using) as they tend to ensure it all comes out.. In previous experience, when I have started before using a suppository, I have also had problems with incomplete movements..
  • mellowgator and Grinch83 like this

What's important is not what happens to us, but how we react to what happens to us..
God gave us two ends, one to think with, n one to sit on.. Success depends on which one u use.. Heads you win, tails u lose..

#4 Bobo1974

Bobo1974

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 231 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:c3-4-5

Posted 25 July 2011 - 02:53 PM

Whenever I sit on the commode my body instinctively wants to have a bowel movement. I think that when your body sits on a seat that has always been used to have a BM it just wants to go whenever you sit on it. is there a way you can pee without sitting on the commode? Like bringing a urinal or other device?
My Facebook Page
I have learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.

#5 MTB John

MTB John

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,294 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C6, Incomplete
  • Injury Date:19-02-2010

Posted 26 July 2011 - 12:57 AM

Could it be that your stool is too soft?
I'm usual just to the safe side of firm but if I do get a bit too soft I take activated charcoal tablets.
They help to firm things up just a little.
Be warned though, they will make your stool as black as, well, coal..

Good luck,
J
Out of the gloom a voice said unto me, "Smile and be happy, things could be worse." So I smiled and was happy and behold things did get worse.

#6 Vaulti Mila

Vaulti Mila

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T6-T7 Incomplete

Posted 04 August 2011 - 08:35 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Smiley: As far as using suppositories or enemas go, I just simply ran out of them, and the ones that work for me are too expensive to buy since my insurance won't cover them at all (at least that's what my mother tells me). But so far, I'm able to go on my own, though sometimes I need to glove up and get the rest out myself. Enemeez was my saving grace during inpatient, and right after I got home until I ran out of them, then I had suppositories, which true, didn't always get it all out, which was REALLY annoying. So really the problem isn't getting my body to go, it's getting it to go when I want it to instead of all the time, or times of the day when I'm already getting ready to go somewhere, or while I'm out.

Bobo: I do think that may be part of the problem, but I didn't even know they made urinals for girls....but I'm not entirely sure that not going while I'm on the commode is wise anyway since at least with my body, when it comes out, it's because it needs to at that time. I'm scared if I just try and ignore it and not go then, and try to find other ways to deal with it I'll have an accident....which I'm not a big fan of trying to clean up without help.

John: I thought that might have been the case as well, and sometimes it seems like it is! Other times, not so much and I have to get the hard part outta the way myself in order to let the rest out.

Either way, it's just frustrating, but finally it seems like my body isn't determined to make me poo all day, so I can actually feel ok going out now! The issue still stands though of getting my body on a regular schedule of going at certain times of day that I WANT it to go. I'm going to try the softeners at just this one time of day to start with for a week or so and work from there. Wish me luck!
Don't limit your challenges, challenge your limits!

#7 mellowgator

mellowgator

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,871 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C 6/7

Posted 05 August 2011 - 02:46 AM

my insurance pays for my enemeez. i'm sorry yours doesn't. it's my saving grace. dont know how you're going to regulate your bowels without doing a program.

:toilet:

good luck,

mellowgator
hi fellow gimps! i'm a c 6/7 quad and have been injured since 1986. i was in a roll over hydroplane accident and it took hours for the paramedics to get me out of the car in the pouring rain. that definately wasn't my day. but alas life goes on!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.