Welcome to the Apparelyzed Spinal Cord Injury and Cauda Equina Syndrome Support Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to Apparelyzed, an active and vibrant spinal cord injury and cauda equina syndrome support forum. Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of our spinal cord injury support community by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Talk to others in real time in the Chat Room
We look forward to welcoming you to our community and reading your contributions and questions.

Simon
Forum Administrator.

Photo
- - - - -

Weight Loss For Quadriplegic

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 St. Peter

St. Peter

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5

Posted 16 October 2011 - 07:02 AM

Hi,I've been thinking of taking Marijuana to lose weight, but I'm not fully aware of its effect on my body and mind.Could any of you Quads enlighten of its pros and cons?
When Intelligence meets a challenge, barriers fall.

#2 Trinity

Trinity

2nd in Command!

• Moderators
  • 5,041 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T8 complete

Posted 16 October 2011 - 08:23 AM

1 word of advice.........

MUNCHIES!!!!

Memento Vivere
Memento Mori

#3 curbyi

curbyi

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5/6 Complete

Posted 18 October 2011 - 02:01 PM

Could i recommend Coke or maybe smack for your weight loss programme far better results i would imagine.

Joke!!

Personally in my experience to lose weight you have too do what ever exercise you can, a hand bike can be purchased for 50.

Secondly calorie intake forget the normal 2500 kcal for men and 2000 kcal for women.

For me to reach my tipping point and actually lose weight i eat no more than a 1000kcal a day and very slowly have began to lose weight.
If it don't make sense I blame the voice typing software misunderstanding me not my failure to listen in English classes!

#4 Tetracyclone

Tetracyclone

Super Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,001 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C-5-7 incomplete
  • Injury Date:27-05-2008

Posted 19 October 2011 - 02:16 AM

Marijuana would make you gain weight- was that your goal?

For weight loss do what able bodied people do- more exercise and less food.

#5 Millard

Millard

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,060 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5-C6 Tetraplegia
  • Injury Date:20-07-1967

Posted 19 October 2011 - 02:06 PM

Could i recommend Coke or maybe smack for your weight loss programme far better results i would imagine.

Joke!!

Personally in my experience to lose weight you have too do what ever exercise you can, a hand bike can be purchased for 50.

Secondly calorie intake forget the normal 2500 kcal for men and 2000 kcal for women.

For me to reach my tipping point and actually lose weight i eat no more than a 1000kcal a day and very slowly have began to lose weight.

Hi Curby,

I do the same as you. We eat a large lunch and in the evening, we'll eat a salad or nothing at all.

Good luck.

Millard
"Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid!" - John Wayne

#6 ebeth

ebeth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 85 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T2 Complete

Posted 20 October 2011 - 07:06 PM

I've been loosing weight by doing cardio for 30 minutes a day, 5 days a week. I also lift weights 2 or 3 times a week. Finally, I also eat around 1200 to 1300 calories per day. I eat 4 times a day and I'm sure to get a healthy balance of the 4 food groups. I avoid processed foods, fast food and junk food as much as possible. I try to stick with wholesome, natural foods. So far I'm down 2 clothing sizes and I feel a lot better. In conclusion, live a healthy lifestyle instead of going on a temporary diet.

#7 SpencerNY1

SpencerNY1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C4
  • Injury Date:10-10-2008

Posted 04 March 2012 - 10:32 PM

1000 calories or less is the only way

Spinal Cord Injury & Cauda Equina Syndrome Support

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries and cauda equina syndrome to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.