•  
  • Forum Help

Welcome to the Apparelyzed Spinal Cord Injury and Cauda Equina Syndrome Support Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to Apparelyzed, an active and vibrant spinal cord injury and cauda equina syndrome support forum. Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of our spinal cord injury support community by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Talk to others in real time in the Chat Room
Don't forget to follow the latest spinal cord injury news articles on our Facebook and Twitter feeds.

Posted Image Posted Image

We look forward to welcoming you to our community and reading your contributions and questions.

Simon
Forum Administrator.

Photo
- - - - -

Accepting Injury

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Stillhope46

Stillhope46

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T 5-6/Self
  • Injury Date:27-04-2010

Posted 30 November 2011 - 11:04 PM

Hello everyone, I'm not new to here but don't really get here that much, but my question to everyone is when do you accept the fact that your legs are still here but just don't work now? I have a problem with knowing that they are here, but I feel a discontinued from my legs and the rest of my body if that makes since. I know my legs are here but I forget sometimes that they are there, and sometimes I be afraid to touch them, is anyone else like that or is it just me? After my injury in April of 2009 I was in rehab, and I remember looking down at them and was literally afraid to touch them because it felt so weird, so how long did it take yall to accept the fact that the legs are still part of the body, but just don't work right now? Any members in here from Arkansas? I'm looking for Arkansas residents someone I can talk too, and find out about places to go in Arkansas for assistance. I hope everyone have a good day, and Thanks.

#2 Vanessamaee

Vanessamaee

Intermediate Member

• Closed Account
  • PipPip
  • 420 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T4 Complete

Posted 30 November 2011 - 11:18 PM

Im from Missouri, Kinda close to Arkansas. but I dont really know as far as getting support in arkansas... If you want to check this site (http://www.spinalcord.org/ ) out it may help... Im a member on it but I havent really used it to much. As far as accepting your injury goes... Im seven months post (Its actually exactly seven months today, accident was April 30th this year)and have "accepted" it as far as the fact im paralyzed. But I constantly feel as if Im trapped inside of my own body. I try to accept the fact I will never walk again (atleast thats what the doctors say) but at the same time, I dont want to accept it and I want to pursue the fight, but I also dont want to waste my life on something that may never happen. Its constantly a roler coaster ride of ups and downs. As far as not wanting to touch my legs... I have such bad spasms I usually throw them around and slam them on the ground and yell and hit them (yea I know, your not suppose to do this) but I get frustrated with them quite easily and probably should start being nicer to them.
Best of luck and hope your enjoying the holidays (and that your weather is warmer than here!)
Vanessa

#3 goose

goose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,234 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C 4/5
  • Injury Date:13-08-1986

Posted 01 December 2011 - 04:00 AM

Welcome to the forum (still a newbie). I can't think of anyone from Arkansas but you should be able to find plenty of friends on here. Don't limit yourself to one area. I've made some really good friends from all over the world.

My SCI was 25 years ago and I've accepted it but I still feel trapped in my own body. I have very limited use of my hands as well as my legs. It's still frustrating to try to do something so simple a 2 year old can do but I can't. It has taught me to be creative and organized. I still get amazed at how some places I can feel something as tiny as a hair but other places I can't feel anything.

#4 A trophy guy

A trophy guy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T-10/12 (ischemic)
  • Injury Date:29-04-2000

Posted 01 December 2011 - 04:06 AM

Hello everyone, I'm not new to here but don't really get here that much, but my question to everyone is when do you accept the fact that your legs are still here but just don't work now? I have a problem with knowing that they are here, but I feel a discontinued from my legs and the rest of my body if that makes since. I know my legs are here but I forget sometimes that they are there, and sometimes I be afraid to touch them, is anyone else like that or is it just me? After my injury in April of 2009 I was in rehab, and I remember looking down at them and was literally afraid to touch them because it felt so weird, so how long did it take yall to accept the fact that the legs are still part of the body, but just don't work right now? Any members in here from Arkansas? I'm looking for Arkansas residents someone I can talk too, and find out about places to go in Arkansas for assistance. I hope everyone have a good day, and Thanks.

Did you join this site before your injury? Your avatar says you joined in Oct O8.
Blessed but Cursed

#5 Norsegoddess

Norsegoddess

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T3 incomplete

Posted 01 December 2011 - 04:13 AM

Did you join this site before your injury? Your avatar says you joined in Oct O8.

Join date is October 8, 2011

#6 A trophy guy

A trophy guy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T-10/12 (ischemic)
  • Injury Date:29-04-2000

Posted 01 December 2011 - 04:22 AM

:head_brick_wall-1: I'd claim dyslexia, but damn! Thank you for clearing that up for me ! :)
Blessed but Cursed

#7 Norsegoddess

Norsegoddess

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T3 incomplete

Posted 01 December 2011 - 05:19 AM

:head_brick_wall-1: I'd claim dyslexia, but damn! Thank you for clearing that up for me ! :)

Haha no worries

#8 nomis

nomis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,000 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:Para T4
  • Injury Date:11-02-1970

Posted 01 December 2011 - 11:24 AM

Hmmm. Sounds like you're denying, trying to ignore part of your body. You need to do a little integrating.

It might sound strange but I'd suggest you get up on your bed and have a talk to your legs and tell them know how you feel about them. And explore them, following them with your hands, check them out, slowly and carefully.

No matter what you feel or are aware of, those legs are going to remain part of you and they're the same ones you were born with. You're gonna have to look after them the rest of your life, be kind to them and see they keep out of danger. That's your responsibility.
  • wheeliebear75 likes this

"We are all different - but we share the same human spirit. Perhaps it's human nature that we adapt - and survive." - Stephen Hawking 2013

#9 Tetracyclone

Tetracyclone

Super Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,172 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C-5-7 incomplete
  • Injury Date:27-05-2008

Posted 01 December 2011 - 01:38 PM

Listen to Nomis. He thinks before he types.

My experience may be different because I always had some sensation in my legs. I feel pressure just fine, but surface skin sensation is limited in some areas, missing in others. No, i never had a reaction like yours. Instead I was fascinated to touch my legs because they felt so weird. Now it is the new normal, but at first it was fascinatingly bizarre. :mfrlol:

#10 qbounce

qbounce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,339 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C7 Complete (so I'm told)

Posted 01 December 2011 - 07:11 PM

Yeah, it's weird to think of your legs as disconnected. I don't get? Posted Image

But, I accepted my injury as soon as I got home, 6 weeks post-op.

Anyway, welcome aboard and keep posting.
When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained. - Mark Twain

#11 wheeliebear75

wheeliebear75

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,865 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L2 incomplete ASIA-D
  • Injury Date:04-28-1990

Posted 02 December 2011 - 04:31 AM

I do recall when I got my 1st post-SCI cavity filled at the dentist's office....it was both eerie AND fascinating the likeness between my numb cheeks (the Novocaine still in effect on my mouth) and the way my legs felt; both seemed to send signals to the brain saying the tissue itself was too cold, and I even dragged the eraser of a pencil across my face & then my finger and then did the same thing to the legs....same sensation of pressure but still couldn't tell the tactile difference between the fingertip & an eraser, + I also had those odd "after trails" (it's what I call the sensation of feeling an object such as a finger or hand that WAS there but is no-longer there). But although I do have some sensation & movement.....I don't think I've ever stopped feeling "trapped" by my body & this is now 21.5yrs later.....what I have done is just merely to grow accustom to this incarceration & make the most of which I can....it is after all a life-sentence without the possibility of parole. :seehearspeak:

Edited by wheeliebear75, 02 December 2011 - 04:31 AM.

*Enjoy every sunset, but be grateful for every dawn.*
*Wheelchairs are made of a special ocular magnetic alloy......they're "eyeball magnets".*
*I USE a wheelchair, that does NOT make ME a wheelchair!*

Spinal Cord Injury & Cauda Equina Syndrome Support

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries and cauda equina syndrome to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.