Photo
- - - - -

Crutch Or Not

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Poll: mobility or not (12 member(s) have cast votes)

Can you walk w/wo assistance ?

1. Yes (6 votes [46.15%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 46.15%

2. No (1 votes [7.69%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

3. Kinda (6 votes [46.15%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 46.15%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 mike13

mike13

• Members
  • Pip
  • 105 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T-12/L-1/L-2

Posted 12 December 2011 - 08:54 PM

Hey all, I was truly trying to find out how many if any have the ability to walk? I am a para but only my left side. If I put my leg bgace on I can use (Crutches/walkers/forearm crutches)and walk. So I wanted to know if there was any one else like me? haha. also, there are some that can walk but not much, and have to carry there crutches etc. with them.
So like I stated, I am wondering how many if any there are?

Thanks M. Sackal

#2 Vanessamaee

Vanessamaee

Intermediate Member

• Closed Account
  • PipPip
  • 420 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T4 Complete

Posted 12 December 2011 - 09:16 PM

I know you're not alone. I cannot walk. however there are a couple of CES people and incompletes who are wobbly walkers that I know of on here (:

#3 wheeliebear75

wheeliebear75

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,865 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L2 incomplete ASIA-D
  • Injury Date:04-28-1990

Posted 13 December 2011 - 01:58 AM

There are a handful who have managed to be able to walk quite well although they still have some issues as a left-over such as B&B + their gate is not 100% "normal" & their not very strong like for lifting/carrying something heavy/bulky while walking, or in climbing up stairs. And then there are quite a few of us who can wobble around a bit with braces/canes/crutches/walkers for short distances. And of course the majority are unable to walk in any capacity of THEIR OWN (excluding of course that exoskeletons since they are it's intended user/clientele). I just wanted to see how accurate my predictions for this are going to pan out. :wink:

I AM ABLE to use forearm crutches to go SHORT distances of around 50-100ft on a
GOOD DAY!

@ THIS point it's a 1/3,1/3,1/3 tie. :type:
*Enjoy every sunset, but be grateful for every dawn.*
*Wheelchairs are made of a special ocular magnetic alloy......they're "eyeball magnets".*
*I USE a wheelchair, that does NOT make ME a wheelchair!*

#4 lavenderthistle

lavenderthistle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,418 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C6- Inc CCS/walker-hybrid
  • Injury Date:04-02-2011

Posted 13 December 2011 - 02:13 AM

I need my cane absolutely when out of the house or the chair. I need one or the other every so often inside the house. I'm central cord btw.

If you can get around on crutches and you do desire to be a walker...it really is true.....use it or lose it. I'm not saying to beat yourself up or tear yourself apart trying, that's actually quite bad! Push yourself a bit, but not over the edge. Don't even push all the way, it can have adverse effects. Sounds counter intuitive to all that most people have been taught, but push yourself enough, know your limits and cut yourself slack when you have a set back. Don't however get in the habit of excuse making and just sitting around. Yes, some people actually do that, then complain that walking isn't easy. Post injury walking is NEVER a slice of cake but does take some effort. With each injury, the amount of effort to walk is relative.
If an idiot speaks in an empty room, do they still sound dumb??

#5 mike13

mike13

• Members
  • Pip
  • 105 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T-12/L-1/L-2

Posted 13 December 2011 - 07:28 AM

No, I'm a clutz to begin with and post accident is worse. I got tired of having to carry my crutches anywhere I needed them. My leg was not put back togetherthe right way to ever walk again though. so I invented a carrier for my crutches on the back of the chair and they come of as a carry on, for travel. Got some orders in the works, but was trying to get a wide count of users, although it is mostly a EU group..

#6 ClaraTaylor

ClaraTaylor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:Incomplete T12-L5

Posted 13 December 2011 - 07:58 AM

I walk, entirely unaided for short distances (providing the pain is under control / the ground is stable) and Scribs whose witnessed it says my gait almost looks normal. It's something I've worked very hard for - and most I am sure is pure luck to have gained so much function back.

#7 Kwag_Myers

Kwag_Myers

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,149 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T12 Incomplete/CES
  • Injury Date:11-08-2007

Posted 23 December 2011 - 01:54 PM

I use a cane because my feet are paralyzed (except for my two biggest toes on each foot - weird), and balance is a real issue. I generally use my chair when I'm in public just because I never know if/when I'm going to have to stand in line, etc. On a good day I can walk about 50 yards before needing a rest.
'Cause that's how I roll! Posted Image

#8 Tinbasher

Tinbasher

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,487 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T12 (incomplete)
  • Injury Date:22-12-1985

Posted 23 December 2011 - 04:42 PM

For a long time I wore my braces and carried my crutches under my chair. I even made some folding crutches. Nowadays I tend to decide if I am walking that day or wheeling and wear my braces to suit. I found wearing my braces while in my chair causes skin problems, especially the KAFO.

I can manage short distances on crutches without my braces if I take care. I consider myself lucky but am now after 25 years beginning to suffer shoulder and wrist problems from crutch walking.
GRAVITY. I fought the law and the law won!

#9 Millard

Millard

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,060 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5-C6 Tetraplegia
  • Injury Date:20-07-1967

Posted 27 December 2011 - 02:33 PM

Hey all, I was truly trying to find out how many if any have the ability to walk? I am a para but only my left side. If I put my leg bgace on I can use (Crutches/walkers/forearm crutches)and walk. So I wanted to know if there was any one else like me? haha. also, there are some that can walk but not much, and have to carry there crutches etc. with them.
So like I stated, I am wondering how many if any there are?

Thanks M. Sackal

Hi Mike,

I walked for 38 years on crutches. After I started breaking bones, my OS ordered me to a chair in 2004. (I wish he had done this many years ago.) The greatest distance I ever walked was 4 miles. It was for a Walk for Mankind and after 4 miles, my hands were too blistered to continue.

Good luck to all who try!

Millard
"Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid!" - John Wayne

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.