Welcome to the Apparelyzed Spinal Cord Injury and Cauda Equina Syndrome Support Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to Apparelyzed, an active and vibrant spinal cord injury and cauda equina syndrome support forum. Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of our spinal cord injury support community by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Talk to others in real time in the Chat Room
We look forward to welcoming you to our community and reading your contributions and questions.

Simon
Forum Administrator.

Photo
- - - - -

Stopping A Uti With Grapefruit Seed Extract

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 mcferguson

mcferguson

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 925 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T5/6 Complete
  • Injury Date:30-11-2008

Posted 13 December 2011 - 08:04 PM

A couple of months ago a para co-worker recommended I use grapefruit seed extract and d-mannose pills to ward off UTIs. He mixes 15 drops of grapefruit seed extract with 8 ounces of water daily and takes d-mannose daily. He says this has worked the best for him over the last 25 years. I tried it for about 2 weeks, but the grapefruit seed extract is nasty tasting and d-mannose a little costly, so I changed up things a bit.

I take a 500mg vitamin C tablet and a 300mg cranberry extract pill each morning along with 500mL of water. In the evenings, I take a 300mg cranberry extract pill and a 15mg ditropan. During the day I drink at least 1L of water. This works pretty well, although there are times when I get cloudy urine. At those times, I take the grapefruit seed extract and d-mannose.

Just two days ago I had very cloudy urnine at my 5pm cath (so cloudy that experience taught me that I would need an antibiotic). I took the grapefruit seed extract (15 drops mixed with 2-3 ounces of water) and d-mannose. Five hours later at my 10pm cath, my urine was crystal clear! I was surprised at how dramatically it worked. I hope this keeps working because I finally think I have my bladder under control. :specool:

Grapefruit seed extract tastes terrible, so I drink it in 2 gulps and then follow up with a glass of water and something to eat (normally candy, as I feel I've earned a reward just by drinking the stuff). :icecream:
Future SCI Alumnus. Victory over the storm - Mark 4.39.
Ferguson Clan Motto: Dulcius Ex Asperis (Sweeter after difficulties)

#2 StillFingers

StillFingers

Super Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,620 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C4/5/6 Incomplete
  • Injury Date:07-05-1978

Posted 13 December 2011 - 08:24 PM

A couple of months ago a para co-worker recommended I use grapefruit seed extract and d-mannose pills to ward off UTIs. He mixes 15 drops of grapefruit seed extract with 8 ounces of water daily and takes d-mannose daily. He says this has worked the best for him over the last 25 years. I tried it for about 2 weeks, but the grapefruit seed extract is nasty tasting and d-mannose a little costly, so I changed up things a bit.

I take a 500mg vitamin C tablet and a 300mg cranberry extract pill each morning along with 500mL of water. In the evenings, I take a 300mg cranberry extract pill and a 15mg ditropan. During the day I drink at least 1L of water. This works pretty well, although there are times when I get cloudy urine. At those times, I take the grapefruit seed extract and d-mannose.

Just two days ago I had very cloudy urnine at my 5pm cath (so cloudy that experience taught me that I would need an antibiotic). I took the grapefruit seed extract (15 drops mixed with 2-3 ounces of water) and d-mannose. Five hours later at my 10pm cath, my urine was crystal clear! I was surprised at how dramatically it worked. I hope this keeps working because I finally think I have my bladder under control. :specool:

Grapefruit seed extract tastes terrible, so I drink it in 2 gulps and then follow up with a glass of water and something to eat (normally candy, as I feel I've earned a reward just by drinking the stuff). :icecream:

Very interesting...I'll give this a go...thnx for the post!

Update: Just ordered both the liquid and capsule forms of the grapefruit seed extract from Now Foods, the same supplement company I get my cranberry pills from...I'll post my results/experience with these two supplements; the d-mannose and ditro I'll wait on.

Edited by StillFingers, 13 December 2011 - 11:10 PM.

Only after we have lost everything, are we free to do anything.
Shooting With Still Fingers - http://shootingwiths...s.blogspot.com/

#3 Zack

Zack

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,170 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5 /Friend of AB Cassie
  • Injury Date:10-07-81

Posted 14 December 2011 - 02:53 AM

We all always have UTIs in the form of bacteria growing in our bladder. It's when the bacteria is over 100,000 parts per Billion that Doctors call it a UTI. And when we usual feel it's affecting us.
I haven't had I UTI that needed to be treated, that is one that my immune system wasn't able to fight off without Antibiotics in over 10 years!
I contribute not having a UTI in that long to Not taking antibiotics until it's Absolutely needed. As in having a High temputure, along with other symptom that made it unbearable or necessary to need an antibiotic. I also drink water like a Fish. I need to watch out that my large water intake doesn't lower my electrolytes.

I believe my immune system is stronger now that I'm an older SCI, who's put off antibiotics until I had no choice but to take them.

That's my food for thought.
  • Edinburgh Colin and goose like this
~Kill them with Kindness~

#4 goose

goose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,226 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C 4/5
  • Injury Date:13-08-1986

Posted 14 December 2011 - 04:29 AM

I agree with Zach about the antibotics...only take them when you have a fever along with the other systoms.

I've been taking D-Mannose for years and can tell a big difference. I tend to self regulate the amounts as I see needed. I've taken the cranberry pills but never could see any real difference with them. I also drink lots of water and weak green tea....lots!

My D-Mannose is $27 a bottle with 120 pills.

#5 Zack

Zack

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,170 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 04:49 AM

Since 1996 I've been drinking 6 to 8 cups of Green Tea every day! I didn't like it at first, and Now I'm addicted to it. No anything in it..
I did drink a Half Gallon or Ocean Spray Cranberry juice a day, back in 1991 I believe it was. 10 months of drinking all that Cranberry Juice and I ended up with an infection that needed IV antibiotics. I never drank it again after that.

#6 Christy

Christy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5
  • Injury Date:2002

Posted 14 December 2011 - 05:48 AM

I agree with Zach about the antibotics...only take them when you have a fever along with the other systoms.

I've been taking D-Mannose for years and can tell a big difference. I tend to self regulate the amounts as I see needed. I've taken the cranberry pills but never could see any real difference with them. I also drink lots of water and weak green tea....lots!

Hey goose. How many pills do you usually do a day? I might need to try it

#7 goose

goose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,226 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 06:36 AM

I vary the amount. If I feel ok, I may take 2 in the am and 2 in the pm. If things start to burn or look cloudy, I'll up it to 3 or 4 twice a day until I'm better which is usually in just a day or two. One bottle will last 3 to 5 weeks. I've learned to drink bottle water everywhere I go. I never drink from another city . I drink purified water at home too.

I get my D-Mannose from Progressive Labs in Texas and they give me a 25% discount. They are usually $36 a bottle.

#8 goose

goose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,226 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 03:50 AM

Since 1996 I've been drinking 6 to 8 cups of Green Tea every day! I didn't like it at first, and Now I'm addicted to it. No anything in it..
I did drink a Half Gallon or Ocean Spray Cranberry juice a day, back in 1991 I believe it was. 10 months of drinking all that Cranberry Juice and I ended up with an infection that needed IV antibiotics. I never drank it again after that.

Hey Zack, we should get together for a cup or 2 of green tea. I like mine straight too...no sugar or honey! I drink it hot in the winter and cold during the summer. I too drink at least that many cups...I'm kinda addicted too. I like Lipton green tea with orange, mango and passion fruit flavor. What kind do you prefer? You know that's the year I started drinking it too...

Edited by goose, 15 December 2011 - 03:52 AM.

#9 Zack

Zack

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,170 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 04:03 AM

Hey Zack, we should get together for a cup or 2 of green tea. I like mine straight too...no sugar or honey! I drink it hot in the winter and cold during the summer. I too drink at least that many cups...I'm kinda addicted too. I like Lipton green tea with orange, mango and passion fruit flavor. What kind do you prefer? You know that's the year I started drinking it too...

Say when! I prefer Salada Green Tea hot all year round. Now I'm drinking Lipton cause they were out of Salada. Is this called jacking a thread? We better start a Green Tea Post!

Sorry !

#10 StillFingers

StillFingers

Super Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,620 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C4/5/6 Incomplete
  • Injury Date:07-05-1978

Posted 15 December 2011 - 08:16 AM

Green tea drinker here also, veg head from way back. My immune system is pretty messed up since 08's major health struggle and the gift of MRSA from the hospital I vacationed at for near 6 months...they pumped me full of vancomicine n other major antibiotics, it kept me alive, but at a high price. The d-mannose, what is it, how does it work, does it have any side affects...I'm gonna research it, always interested in non-med/antibiotic remedies...cool thread...thnx folks!
Only after we have lost everything, are we free to do anything.
Shooting With Still Fingers - http://shootingwiths...s.blogspot.com/

#11 Zack

Zack

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,170 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 08:30 AM

. The d-mannose, what is it, how does it work, does it have any side affects...I'm gonna research it, always interested in non-med/antibiotic remedies...cool thread...thnx folks!

Another Good Antioxidant is 1 Raw Clove of Garlic a Day! It wasn't easy getting used to, although about 8 years ago I managed to do it. :)

#12 catmint

catmint

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,711 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:wife
  • Injury Date:C5/6 complete

Posted 15 December 2011 - 08:47 AM

. The d-mannose, what is it, how does it work, does it have any side affects...I'm gonna research it, always interested in non-med/antibiotic remedies...cool thread...thnx folks!

Another Good Antioxidant is 1 Raw Clove of Garlic a Day! It wasn't easy getting used to, although about 8 years ago I managed to do it. :)

I know someone who takes raw garlic daily, but that is for circulatory issues. Is this for UTIs or just your general health?

#13 Zack

Zack

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,170 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 08:55 AM

The Raw Garlic was just for general health. I didn't have any need to take it. Its healthy! I thought why Not?

#14 greybeard

greybeard

Super Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,875 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L1-L5 incl - Stenosis
  • Injury Date:21-03-2001

Posted 15 December 2011 - 11:51 AM

I read somewhere that garlic is one of the fastest substances to be absorbed by the body. Apparently it can be detected on the soles of your feet only a few seconds after you eat some. Love it - it keeps people away Posted Image. Also I drink green tea. Drink virtually nothing else. Not for heath reasons, just prefer it.

"Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day;  Rage, rage against the dying of the light" 

[Dylan Thomas]

#15 Christy

Christy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5
  • Injury Date:2002

Posted 15 December 2011 - 12:55 PM

I vary the amount. If I feel ok, I may take 2 in the am and 2 in the pm. If things start to burn or look cloudy, I'll up it to 3 or 4 twice a day until I'm better which is usually in just a day or two. One bottle will last 3 to 5 weeks. I've learned to drink bottle water everywhere I go. I never drink from another city . I drink purified water at home too.

I get my D-Mannose from Progressive Labs in Texas and they give me a 25% discount. They are usually $36 a bottle.

Ok thanks. I need to do something.. these UTIs wont stay away! Btw what part of GA are you in?

#16 Nicus

Nicus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C7
  • Injury Date:27-07-2010

Posted 15 December 2011 - 01:48 PM

If you don't like the bad taste I use Tibb Renotone (google) natural pills no side effects in almost a years use. No UTI's in 7 month's.

Good
Inexpensive

Bad
Not available in all countries.
I call a spade a spade so don't be surprised if it feels like a pitchfork coming your way.
http://www.alfanatic...nicus-schwartz/

#17 KK*

KK*

• Members
  • Pip
  • 138 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T-8 ASIA A Complete
  • Injury Date:06-07-2010

Posted 18 December 2011 - 04:33 AM

I have a Suprapubic Cathater and an elderly nurse advised me to do a flush, 12:1 ratio of water and vinegar. It really seems to work very well.

#18 mcferguson

mcferguson

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 12:40 PM

As an update on this grapefruit seed extract thing...

I did get a UTI in mid-January using the technique of drinking the grapefruit seed extract only whenever I saw cloudy urine. One day the bacteria population just exploded and the extract did not clear it up, so I had to go on an antibiotic. After that UTI was cleared up, I tried something a little different.

I take one grapfruit seed extract pill (125 mg) in the morning and one in the evening, and when I see cloudy urine, I drink the liquid. This seems to be working. I have had to drink the liquid a couple of times in the last three months and no UTIs. :D

The last couple of weeks I have changed my cathing schedule by removing my 2am cath during the week and not following one on the weekends. Previously, I think I would have gotten a UTI by doing that, but no adverse affects so far. Maybe my body has figured something out recently, maybe taking the pills consisently have built up my body's immunity to the bacteria :boxing: , I don't know. Maybe I just jinxed myself by posting this and I'll get one tomorrow...

#19 greybeard

greybeard

Super Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,875 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:01 PM

Please clarify which liquid you mention.

"Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day;  Rage, rage against the dying of the light" 

[Dylan Thomas]

#20 mcferguson

mcferguson

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:37 PM

Apologies... The liquid is the liquid grapefruit seed extract mixed with water - 15 drops mixed with 2-3 ounces of water.

#21 SequinScandal

SequinScandal

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T1
  • Injury Date:17-06-2006

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:34 PM

Wow thank you for this tip I am going to order this stuff right away. I always have problems with UTI's and haven't had much luck with keeping them under control.

#22 munkypoop

munkypoop

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 667 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C4/5 incomplete quad
  • Injury Date:10-05-2007

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:05 PM

If you are on any medication for bladder spasms or medication for the bladder, grapefruit juice cancels out the medication. So does grape juice
Imagine what I do when I need to laugh or feel better. Imagine a purple hippo standing up straight wearing pink clown shoes and juggling lime green Jell-O squares!

#23 greybeard

greybeard

Super Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,875 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:26 PM

Apologies... The liquid is the liquid grapefruit seed extract mixed with water - 15 drops mixed with 2-3 ounces of water.

I'm SO glad you said that. I thought you were drinking your own cloudy urine!!! :yikes:

Edited by greybeard, 30 April 2012 - 09:26 PM.

[Dylan Thomas]

#24 mcferguson

mcferguson

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:20 PM

I'm SO glad you said that. I thought you were drinking your own cloudy urine!!! :yikes:

No, I only drink it when its clear. :sarcasm_on:

Check this out from Shirley's Wellness Cafe:

Urine Therapy (Uropathy) - Your Body's Own Best Medicine, A Powerul Infection Fighter
You may think that when it comes to alternative health therapies you've heard it all. But there is one natural therapy you've probably never heard of ---even though its one of the most powerful, most researched and most medically proven natural cures ever discovered. Multiple sclerosis, colitis, lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, cancer, hepatitis, hyperactivity, pancreatic insufficiency, psoriasis, eczema, diabetes, herpes, mononucleosis, adrenal failure, allergies and so many other ailments have been relieved through use of this therapy. After you overcome your initial gag response (I know I had one), you will realize that something big is going on, and if you are searching for health, this is an area to investigate. There are numerous reports and double blind studies which go back to the turn of the century supporting the efficacy of using urine for health.

#25 qbounce

qbounce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,339 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C7 Complete (so I'm told)

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:56 PM

Whatever you do McF, DON'T try to convince me of the benefits! I'm a little squeamish.
When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained. - Mark Twain

#26 mcferguson

mcferguson

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 06:59 PM

Whatever you do McF, DON'T try to convince me of the benefits! I'm a little squeamish.

I'll let this lady do the convincing for me:

Ya know, those of us who use cath kits have an advantage 'cause we have containers for this refreshing beverage with us at all times! :cheers:

Spinal Cord Injury & Cauda Equina Syndrome Support

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries and cauda equina syndrome to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.