Welcome to the Apparelyzed Spinal Cord Injury and Cauda Equina Syndrome Support Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to Apparelyzed, an active and vibrant spinal cord injury and cauda equina syndrome support forum. Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of our spinal cord injury support community by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Talk to others in real time in the Chat Room
We look forward to welcoming you to our community and reading your contributions and questions.

Simon
Forum Administrator.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

How Do You Prefer Others Identify

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

Poll: How would you like walkers to identify (27 member(s) have cast votes)

When asking a user their level would you prefer;

1. Level only (8 votes [29.63%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 29.63%

2. Level and walker if the person walks (19 votes [70.37%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 70.37%

Do you feel it is a lie of omission when walkers don't disclose that information?

1. Yes (6 votes [22.22%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

2. No (21 votes [77.78%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 77.78%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 DannyR

DannyR

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 804 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C-4/C-5 Walker

Posted 20 December 2011 - 10:31 AM

After reading through some of the posts maybe I should change mine to walker. If it would help others to identify with me what could it hurt. Some are more private and get what they want from reading the posts....there is alot of good info here no matter what your situation is.

#32 megatrig

megatrig

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 445 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5/6 sensory incomplete

Posted 20 December 2011 - 08:57 PM

Tish ... people with "mere flesh wounds"! ..................... JOKE!!
Life is just to short not to have fun!

#33 Apparelyzed

Apparelyzed

The Boss!

• **Admin
  • 4,790 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5/6 Anterior Cord
  • Injury Date:02-01-1992

Posted 20 December 2011 - 09:19 PM

Megatrig, don't forget, that as sensory incompletes, we're also semi-part-timers!

To be honest, we all have our issues to bear associated with our individual injuries, the explanation is given simply to help others comprehend our personal situations.

Explaining our injury doesn't help the pain, but it may help give an insight to our individual worlds.

Simon :)

Posted Image   Posted Image
Follow the Apparelyzed Forum on our Facebook and Twitter feeds.

#34 megatrig

megatrig

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 445 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5/6 sensory incomplete

Posted 20 December 2011 - 09:43 PM

Megatrig, don't forget, that as sensory incompletes, we're also semi-part-timers!

To be honest, we all have our issues to bear associated with our individual injuries, the explanation is given simply to help others comprehend our personal situations.

Explaining our injury doesn't help the pain, but it may help give an insight to our individual worlds.

Simon :)

It really was meant verrrrrry light heartedyly!!

I do agree!

You get two "spinal injuries" of the same level whos bodies react totally differently!

As Simon says being sensory incomplee is incredibly useful to me!!
Life is just to short not to have fun!

#35 Priority Seatin

Priority Seatin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:Incomplete T12 L2, ASIA C

Posted 20 December 2011 - 10:31 PM

It depends. I can walk only a little bit but I don't reveal that unless the person needs to know. Otherwise, I'd rather save the hassle and let them think I can't walk.

#36 A trophy guy

A trophy guy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,750 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T-10/12 (ischemic)
  • Injury Date:29-04-2000

Posted 21 December 2011 - 03:22 AM

I prefer if people identify me as Ambivalid... Disabled superhero with mixed feelings about saving the world... :unsure:

Edited by A trophy guy, 21 December 2011 - 03:24 AM.

Blessed but Cursed

#37 Kwag_Myers

Kwag_Myers

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,206 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T12 Incomplete/CES
  • Injury Date:11-08-2007

Posted 21 December 2011 - 07:04 PM

One of the first things I learned in this forum is that every SPI is unique. I think our Profiles are the place to offer detailed information on our condition.

btw, "incomplete" is synonymous with "probably a walker".
'Cause that's how I roll! Posted Image

#38 Anna16

Anna16

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 974 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L2

Posted 21 December 2011 - 07:16 PM

One of the first things I learned in this forum is that every SPI is unique. I think our Profiles are the place to offer detailed information on our condition.

I actually rarely, if ever, think that when I read incomplete.
  • greybeard, lavenderthistle, Irish Wheelz and 1 other like this
You want to be really great? Then have the courage to fail big and stick around. Make them wonder why you're still smiling

#39 Edinburgh Colin

Edinburgh Colin

Super Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,997 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T3/4 Incomplete
  • Injury Date:07-05-2009

Posted 21 December 2011 - 07:28 PM

I think that's a generalization that I have a big problem with!

I'm far from "probably a walker" and I bet that there are a few more here like me too.

Given the topic of this thread I cannot agree with you Identifying us that way.
  • lavenderthistle likes this
Impossible only describes a problem that needs viewed from a different perspective

#40 lavenderthistle

lavenderthistle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,872 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C6- Inc CCS/walker-hybrid
  • Injury Date:04-02-2011

Posted 21 December 2011 - 07:51 PM

I also have found that "Incomplete" rarely means probably a walker. I learned that early on when I first identified as Incomplete...then met EC, Mellowgator, Stillfingers, Isobar....etc. I then changed my status to my syndrome and walking status.

As my level solidified I changed my status to reflect where I have been deemed to have most issues...that's my choice. I like to make myself easy to find for others in a similar boat.
If an idiot speaks in an empty room, do they still sound dumb??

#41 Edinburgh Colin

Edinburgh Colin

Super Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,997 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T3/4 Incomplete
  • Injury Date:07-05-2009

Posted 21 December 2011 - 07:58 PM

I also have found that "Incomplete" rarely means probably a walker. I learned that early on when I first identified as Incomplete...then met EC, Mellowgator, Stillfingers, Isobar....etc. I then changed my status to my syndrome and walking status.

As my level solidified I changed my status to reflect where I have been deemed to have most issues...that's my choice. I like to make myself easy to find for others in a similar boat.

I must say Dear Lav that you cover this perfectly and to be honest the medical definition of our injury may not convey the message you want to send when identifying your injury on here. I think you have explained your choice clearly and it fulfills it's purpose very well.
Impossible only describes a problem that needs viewed from a different perspective

#42 StillFingers

StillFingers

Super Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,620 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C4/5/6 Incomplete
  • Injury Date:07-05-1978

Posted 21 December 2011 - 08:01 PM

Less than a third of patients walk again after a spinal cord injury, whereas every one of them wants to try. Residual function,
energy expenditure, the extent of orthotic support needed, and patient motivation will determine the outcome. Functional
electrical stimulation and other new orthotic designs have not notably increased the number of persons able to walk after a
spinal injury. Rehabilitation professionals can use patient education, illustrating relearning to walk with examples of
infants' and toddlers' progress, to assist patients in understanding their abilities and limitations. The final decision on
ambulation and orthotic prescriptions can be made in stages after a patient adjusts to a wheelchair-independent level.
(Subbarao JV: Walking after spinal cord injury-Goal or wish? In Rehabilitation Medicine-Adding Life to Years [Special Issue]. West J Med 1991

I'd guess it's better now...sure hope it is!

Edited by StillFingers, 21 December 2011 - 08:09 PM.

Only after we have lost everything, are we free to do anything.
Shooting With Still Fingers - http://shootingwiths...s.blogspot.com/

#43 ClaraTaylor

ClaraTaylor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:Incomplete T12-L5

Posted 21 December 2011 - 08:33 PM

Tish ... people with "mere flesh wounds"! ..................... JOKE!!

OOhh!! I like that!! I think from now on I'll call myself "flesh wound" :D

#44 Kwag_Myers

Kwag_Myers

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,206 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T12 Incomplete/CES
  • Injury Date:11-08-2007

Posted 21 December 2011 - 09:49 PM

I think that's a generalization that I have a big problem with!

I'm far from "probably a walker" and I bet that there are a few more here like me too.

Given the topic of this thread I cannot agree with you Identifying us that way.

sry, should have made that a question instead of a statement. It just seem to me that most incompletes have some, albeit limited, ability to walk. Maybe we should poll the incompletes and see?

Oh, and I did say "probably", as opposed to "absolutely". My point is, the word "incomplete" should indicate the possibility exists. I don't understand why someone would come after lavenderthistle for being a walker when it clearly states "Inc" below her name.
'Cause that's how I roll! Posted Image

#45 scaldedcat

scaldedcat

Intermediate Member

• Closed Account
  • PipPip
  • 311 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T10 complete
  • Injury Date:02-11-2009

Posted 22 December 2011 - 02:26 AM

No person with any sort of morals or decency would come after her full stop.

#46 ksheja

ksheja

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T11
  • Injury Date:11-11-1987

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:39 AM

I'd like to know level plus walking ability because it makes a difference in many situations.  I wouldn't say it is a lie, just an omission. It's up to the person, though, what they want to share.

#47 JerseyBoy

JerseyBoy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,171 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5-C7 #PimpWithALimp
  • Injury Date:12-30-2011

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:35 AM

I am asking for opinions on this matter. I have recently been lambasted because I make the choice to identify my level and state the fact I am a walker. I do this to identify myself on my profile this helps other walkers may easily find me. In chat I prefer this disclosure because to not state it, in my mind would be a lie of omission. I was never aware any of you had a problem with identification, I would like to see how others feel about this issue. Just to be clear...this will in no way affect my choice to identify, but i'd like a general idea of how the rest of you feel

How dare you identify yourself as a walker? Who do you think you are? Bloody inconsiderate nincompoop.
  • The Black Sheep likes this
Either you choose to be blessed to be cursed or cursed to be blessed. I choose to be blessed to be cursed. 

#48 The Black Sheep

The Black Sheep

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,466 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T5, stand-n-shuffler
  • Injury Date:01-08-1998

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:51 AM

Wow, I had no idea people got so uptight about the exact definition. Spinal cord injured doesn't exactly have a strict classification.

Among the incompletes, there's always the question, but I cannot believe someone would be so uptight or angry with their curiosity.

And Jersey, your classification is pretty damned awesome. Gah! I wish I could be sarcastic and cool to come up with something, I dunno, snarky.

I'm a stand-n-shuffler.

• JerseyBoy likes this
3 doctors diagnosed me with hysterical paralysis (weee!), 1 diagnosed an incomplete T7, another T2 and the last (and most accurate) T5. Trampolines are BAD. Sleep is unpredictable. And never kiss strangers. Life has moved on.

Spinal Cord Injury & Cauda Equina Syndrome Support

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries and cauda equina syndrome to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.