Photo
- - - - -

Wheelchair Wishes

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Poll: Wheelchair wishes (26 member(s) have cast votes)

What kind of chair do you (or the person with SCI that you care for) use (not counting for shower or bowel program)?

1. Power chair (or Scooter). (5 votes [17.86%])

Percentage of vote: 17.86%

2. Manual chair. (23 votes [82.14%])

Percentage of vote: 82.14%

3. Chair that is pushed by care-taker. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Exoskelaton. (0 votes [0.00%])

5. Walker, cane, or other mobility aid. (0 votes [0.00%])

6. Something not listed here. (0 votes [0.00%])

How do you like the wheelchair?

1. The wheelchair is as good as anything I can think of. (11 votes [42.31%])

Percentage of vote: 42.31%

2. I wish for a much better wheelchair which exists but which I do not have. (8 votes [30.77%])

Percentage of vote: 30.77%

3. I wish that I could mix abilities of existing chairs that are not available together. (4 votes [15.38%])

Percentage of vote: 15.38%

4. I wish for a wheelchair that is not like what exists as a commercial product, as far as I know. (1 votes [3.85%])

Percentage of vote: 3.85%

5. Something not listed here. (2 votes [7.69%])

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

What would be useful to you that would make a wheelchair better?

1. Fit through narrower doors, take up less floor space. (9 votes [8.33%])

Percentage of vote: 8.33%

2. Power chair battery lasts longer. (3 votes [2.78%])

Percentage of vote: 2.78%

3. Power chair rolls faster. (3 votes [2.78%])

4. Ability to climb stairs, overcome curbs. (4 votes [3.70%])

Percentage of vote: 3.70%

5. Lighter to lift. (12 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

6. Easier to travel up ramps. (8 votes [7.41%])

Percentage of vote: 7.41%

7. Easier to travel on grass, snow, sand, ice. (13 votes [12.04%])

Percentage of vote: 12.04%

8. Shock absorbers on rough walkways. (7 votes [6.48%])

Percentage of vote: 6.48%

9. Folds up smaller when not occupied. (7 votes [6.48%])

10. Ability to stand up. (3 votes [2.78%])

11. Ability to raise seat using power so sitter can match other people's eye level. (5 votes [4.63%])

Percentage of vote: 4.63%

12. Ability to lower seat using power to reach things on the ground better. (2 votes [1.85%])

Percentage of vote: 1.85%

13. Ramp to make it easier to transfer from ground to seat. (0 votes [0.00%])

14. Turn signals. More lights. (1 votes [0.93%])

Percentage of vote: 0.93%

15. Prettier. More colors, decorations, appearance customization. (7 votes [6.48%])

16. More or bigger or more convenient places to carry things. (4 votes [3.70%])

17. More robust. Not needing repair so often. (2 votes [1.85%])

Percentage of vote: 1.85%

18. More weather/water proof. (4 votes [3.70%])

19. Easier to repair. (5 votes [4.63%])

Percentage of vote: 4.63%

20. Less likely to result in sore butt. Better cushion. (9 votes [8.33%])

Percentage of vote: 8.33%

Who uses the wheelchair?

1. Someone who usually uses the chair with a care-taker present. (2 votes [7.69%])

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

2. Someone who often uses the chair when alone. (20 votes [76.92%])

Percentage of vote: 76.92%

3. Something else not listed here. (4 votes [15.38%])

Percentage of vote: 15.38%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Mary-Anne

Mary-Anne

• Members
  • Pip
  • 133 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:Partner: T5 ischemic
  • Injury Date:04-03-2010

Posted 02 January 2012 - 06:57 PM

I sometimes read about supposedly "better" wheelchairs which different groups of people try to invent. I am never sure how many other users of wheelchairs would appreciate the same improvements. What is the consensus about the wheelchairs that people are using? Are they as good as practical? If a better chair were available, how would most people want it to be different? Is it mostly that better chairs don't exist commercially or that they cost too much or some of both?

Mary-Anne

#2 Tetracyclone

Tetracyclone

Super Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,856 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C-5-7 incomplete
  • Injury Date:27-05-2008

Posted 02 January 2012 - 07:09 PM

umm... better than what? I like my chair, a tilite zr.

#3 wheeliebear75

wheeliebear75

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,867 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L2 incomplete ASIA-D
  • Injury Date:04-28-1990

Posted 03 January 2012 - 02:02 AM

Yeah um...on that last portion of your question/poll...I think MOST OF US use our chair when we are not in bed, so we would use alone AND when caregiver is around (you only have "when alone" "when caregiver is around")

As to the other questions for ME: I have a Quickie XTR; love it for it's portability & ADORE it's suspension system/shock absorbing spring.

Every now and again though it would be nice to do things like go up stairs on my own instead of having to be carried up the flight of stairs, & being able to stand up or just raise the seating level @ a whim to be eye to eye with people , & the "tilt in space" so you're still in all 90 degree angles but yet reclined...is something that WOULD make an electric chair worth "the hassles" of more maintenance , harder to transport & the higher cost.

I'm sure there is always SOMETHING that someone can come up with that hasn't been thought of before. But almost all of the features you have listed are already currently available...although not always in the same wheelchair.

Edited by wheeliebear75, 03 January 2012 - 02:05 AM.

*Enjoy every sunset, but be grateful for every dawn.*
*Wheelchairs are made of a special ocular magnetic alloy......they're "eyeball magnets".*
*I USE a wheelchair, that does NOT make ME a wheelchair!*

#4 Kwag_Myers

Kwag_Myers

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,134 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T12 Incomplete/CES
  • Injury Date:11-08-2007

Posted 05 January 2012 - 01:53 PM

I have a Ki Catalyst and my only dislike is how it folds up. I have to take the foot rests off, remove the cushion, then fold the chair side-to-side. Even with the foot rests off the chair is rather cumbersome to lift in and out of the car. In some situations I have to remove the wheels, too. I've seen videos of wheelers getting in and out of the car with chairs that fold front-to-back and these appear to be easier/quicker to load and unload.
'Cause that's how I roll! Posted Image

#5 edlee

edlee

Super Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,302 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:t-10 complete
  • Injury Date:11-18-2004

Posted 07 January 2012 - 07:33 PM

Always hard to decide what is "better",, till one decides what they want out of the chair,, at that time. Trying to fiy ALL the "better" ideas into onr chair can't work,, because some of the "betters" are mutually exculsive. Every chair is a compromise,, an effort to get the most things YOU want while eliminating the things you can do without.

Something you left out in your survey was price. If chairs were cheap enough,, you could buy several,, and use the one that fit your needs best for right then,, then switch when you wanted to do something else. Alas,,, most of us aren't fortunate enough for that.
ed

#6 happywheels 88

happywheels 88

• Members
  • Pip
  • 64 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T12 incomplete
  • Injury Date:22-07-2011

Posted 12 August 2012 - 03:42 AM

Absolutely love love love my chair!!!! Invacare top end crossfire titanium with ergo seating.

#7 The Black Sheep

The Black Sheep

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,324 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T5, stand-n-shuffler
  • Injury Date:01-08-1998

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:49 AM

I don't dislike my chair that much. One of the things I wish were on the list would be Cheaper to repair. The Quickie XTR isn't in production anymore and my froglegs are $200 a pop. One already broke and, oddly, I had my old one still that I could steal from. But it kind of rusted in storage, so I'm just counting the days till I'm stranded cause I can't really afford a $200 frogleg right now.
3 doctors diagnosed me with hysterical paralysis (weee!), 1 diagnosed an incomplete T7, another T2 and the last (and most accurate) T5. Trampolines are BAD. Sleep is unpredictable. And never kiss strangers. Life has moved on.

#8 hooplady

hooplady

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 997 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:Was g/f of T2 complete

Posted 14 August 2012 - 02:29 AM

Also, some simply don't have any choice in what they get. My b/f was on Medicaid when he was issued his chair and the only thing he got to choose was the color. It's made by Pride...it must be the "Litestream." It's horribly difficult to collapse, load and unload from the car - and I mean for the AB person who's driving, forget about him being able to do it. He gave up even trying to go anywhere, it scares him too much that he might get stuck.

And get this...he finally got the OK to get it serviced at the dealer, but then discovered that they had moved their shop to an area that's outside the range of our local public transportation service. :angry2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.