•  
  • Forum Help

Welcome to the Apparelyzed Spinal Cord Injury and Cauda Equina Syndrome Support Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to Apparelyzed, an active and vibrant spinal cord injury and cauda equina syndrome support forum. Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of our spinal cord injury support community by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Talk to others in real time in the Chat Room
Don't forget to follow the latest spinal cord injury news articles on our Facebook and Twitter feeds.

Posted Image Posted Image

We look forward to welcoming you to our community and reading your contributions and questions.

Simon
Forum Administrator.

Photo
- - - - -

'i Loved Him Too Much To Be Selfish' A Quad Starved Herself To Death

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Izziwhizzi

Izziwhizzi

Intermediate Member

• Closed Account
  • PipPip
  • 594 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:c6 - complete

Posted 15 February 2012 - 03:52 PM

A yound female quad starves herself to death so the rest of her loved ones can carry on in a 'quad free' lifestyle.

So, is this the option all too many quads take? Especially when the 'burden' card is thrown into a young life?

How can we live a fulfilled life without being such a burden??

http://www.dailymail...yfriend-on.html

As you can see from her resume, Christina was very active both before and after her diving accident.

http://site.christin..._informal_.html

#2 Edinburgh Colin

Edinburgh Colin

Super Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,079 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T3/4 Incomplete
  • Injury Date:07-05-2009

Posted 15 February 2012 - 04:12 PM

I read the article from the Aspire link elsewhere.
Never realized she was so active both before and after! Surprising really she chose to go given how much she was doing after the accident as well. Just shows you, I'm a high para so can imagine but cannot really relate as you others here may be able to the level of loss she must have felt.
As for the way the family treated her, that just stinks!!!
EC
Impossible only describes a problem that needs viewed from a different perspective

#3 Muskie

Muskie

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 626 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5 complete/ son

Posted 15 February 2012 - 04:38 PM

After reading this, I will never say or think my son is a burden. I will not sigh at the 2:30 am request for a sandwich. As much as I respect this young lady's decision, I can't agree with it. It is me being selfish, I know. I know I would never be the same without him or any of my other children. I know 3 other families who have lost children. The pain they carry is immense. This is just an opinion and not an inditment of the young lady or her family. The pain and anguish they are going through and the watching their daughter die has to be unbearable. I saw son try to take the no eating and drinking, it last about 2 days before I really caught onto what he was up to. I thought he was just not feeling well. We got him help. I don't know though she was injured a while and was very intelligent what do I know...
  • dancin' johnny likes this
I believe we have two lives...the life we learn with and the life we live with after that. Iris Gaines

#4 Izziwhizzi

Izziwhizzi

Intermediate Member

• Closed Account
  • PipPip
  • 594 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 04:58 PM

As the bid cripple blog spot questions over this suicide (detailed below), is societies viewpoint that it is better off being dead than disabled?

http://badcripple.bl...ski-better.html

#5 AlaskaOne

AlaskaOne

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 255 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C6-C7 complete
  • Injury Date:29-11-2010

Posted 15 February 2012 - 05:00 PM

When I had my accident and they did the usual CT scan they discovered I had renal cancer, and though my family pressured me into having one kidney removed, I still hope for this to recur and therefore let me check out early. I don't have what it takes to starve myself, but I wouldn't mind dying either.

#6 Izziwhizzi

Izziwhizzi

Intermediate Member

• Closed Account
  • PipPip
  • 594 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 05:20 PM

Dont think like that please Alaska One, you have a lot of life yet to live and a boat to get back onto. I'll join you if you want company!!

You are early on into this new life, you will get there and see it is a life worth living and fighting for.

I posted this event, and also details of 'Bad Cripples' blog site, to show how us old timers have seen this happen on many occasions over time, and yet it shouldn't be deemed acceptable by society or the medical profession.

Our mere physical disability is not a reason to end our life, for society, for us or our families.

I xx

#7 Tetracyclone

Tetracyclone

Super Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,177 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C-5-7 incomplete
  • Injury Date:27-05-2008

Posted 15 February 2012 - 06:01 PM

I both understand and respect her life and death.

Izzy, I don't believe this is a matter of society's view, but one of individual judgement. Christina's most grievous problem was pain and physical suffering. Why stay in your body if that is 90% of your life experience, or 75%? I agree that the nastiness of some family members was unforgivable, but the reasons for her decision were much more personal.

How much suffering is worth whatever good we can squeeze from life? This is an individual decision. I think those who

Muskie- God bless you. I understand your unwillingness to lose a child, yet we do survive it. You and your son have lost much of what he was, but cannot know what he may become. I pray pain never dominates hi life.

If I lost my supply of meds my life would be hell.
  • bongorum likes this

#8 Trinity

Trinity

2nd in Command!

• Moderators
  • 5,040 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T8 complete

Posted 15 February 2012 - 06:09 PM

If ever there was a case for assisted suicide it is this, she chose to end her life by staving herself to death, denying herself the most basic of human needs. Her reasons went far further than the comments from her father and step father although undoubtably they did not help. Everyone who the right to life should have the right to a peaceful death
  • catmint, sarcak, Edinburgh Colin and 1 other like this

Memento Vivere
Memento Mori

#9 wheelie182

wheelie182

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 502 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T6/T7 Complete

Posted 15 February 2012 - 06:15 PM

It annoys me how other people think they have the right to tell someone that their life is worth living, or that ending it is selfish or weak. Without being in that persons situation, they have no understanding and no right in doing so.

Using some one elses strength in comparison is also another stupid point. Not every one is strong enough to cope with the crap we have to deal with. Some one who can't cope obviously goes through a harder time than someone who can cope. Why should they be criticised for this?

Getting public opinions on this matter is dangerous. Very very few people will be able to relate to her feelings, hell I won't even try and relate because I know I'll fail miserably. I hope that her friends and family pay no attention to the comments made by insensitive ignorant fools that is the general public.

• sarcak, greybeard and bongorum like this
That's what she said!

#10 Charlie-boi

Charlie-boi

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 304 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T-12/10 complete

Posted 15 February 2012 - 06:17 PM

If ever there was a case for assisted suicide it is this, she chose to end her life by staving herself to death, denying herself the most basic of human needs. Her reasons went far further than the comments from her father and step father although undoubtably they did not help. Everyone who the right to life should have the right to a peaceful death

true... this is not fast or a humane way to go. In these situations i think the swiss have the answer.
  • Edinburgh Colin likes this

#11 qbounce

qbounce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,339 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C7 Complete (so I'm told)

Posted 15 February 2012 - 06:25 PM

You said it, Tetra.
No one can truly know how we all feel, individually, but ourselves.

It really is a very personal choice, and for the fact that she gave it some time goes a long way on my book.
When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained. - Mark Twain

#12 dreamerr

dreamerr

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 220 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L4/L5 Cauda Equina
  • Injury Date:11-15-2006

Posted 15 February 2012 - 06:27 PM

I think anyone should have the right to die. I am only living because I have a kid. I am a low level incomplete para and don't want to live like this. I don't enjoy anything anymore. In the five years I have been injured I am still yet to find anything fun. If given the oportunity I would die in a second.
I know I will always have a seat:)

#13 qbounce

qbounce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,339 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C7 Complete (so I'm told)

Posted 15 February 2012 - 06:29 PM

true... this is not fast or a humane way to go. In these situations i think the swiss have the answer.

Cheese?
Neutrality?
Chocolate?? Ohh, ohhhh, watches!
No, give me a hint!?
When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained. - Mark Twain

#14 greybeard

greybeard

Super Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,913 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L1-L5 incl - Stenosis
  • Injury Date:21-03-2001

Posted 15 February 2012 - 06:31 PM

Cubee, Assisted suicide is legal there.

"Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day;  Rage, rage against the dying of the light" 

[Dylan Thomas]

#15 Trinity

Trinity

2nd in Command!

• Moderators
  • 5,040 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T8 complete

Posted 15 February 2012 - 06:35 PM

Cheese?
Neutrality?
Chocolate?? Ohh, ohhhh, watches!
No, give me a hint!?

Way to misquote Q! In answer though, legalised euthanasia/assisted suicide is legal there, there is a clinic called Dignitas. People travel from all over Europe in a bid to end their life

Memento Vivere
Memento Mori

#16 Charlie-boi

Charlie-boi

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 06:53 PM

My time in hospital made me realise euthanasia is in some situations a blessing. See men or women over 80 falling and being paralised from the kneck down but being to senile to understand what the hells going on...Then you see them being proped up in physio unable to do anything and also wondering what the hells going on there...... its like flogging a dead horse just let them go in peice while they had dignity.... imo of corse

#17 Dutch30

Dutch30

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 235 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5-C7 incomplete walker

Posted 15 February 2012 - 07:15 PM

I have no way to imagine how Christina must have felt her 6 SCI years, so I don't have a opinion about her committing suicide. However I do have an opinion on the euthanasia topic. I have experienced different situations of people in my life who really wanted to end their lives. One of them was someone who has serious psychological problems and has spend numerous of years in all sorts of therapies but still no success (won't discuss the details), one who was terminal because of cancer, one because of age and dementia including panic attacks throughout the entire day.

When I look back at these 3 experiences I can imagine how difficult the entire subject of euthanasia is. The person with psychological problems still has them, but after some serious suicide attempts this person now is in a way happy and starting a family after more than 15 years of misery. That kind of makes you think. But on the other hand I've experienced the person with terminal cancer and the old person who is in panic everyday because she can't remember anymore that her relatives do come to visit her and didn't abandon her. She is almost 90 years of age and she has panic attacks and screams the entire day because of feeling alone and abandoned in her nursing home.

So I guess my opinion on euthanasia is that every case should be thoroughly reviewed and examined, but in some cases euthanasia should be possible.

Edited by Dutch30, 15 February 2012 - 07:17 PM.

#18 Doug

Doug

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 437 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5

Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:26 PM

Its a tricky subject but for sure I would love to have an option to go in peace while using my good organs to help change several lives for the better. Give sight to a blind man, Breath to a wheezing girl, a strong heart to a parent so he/she can continue raising tomorrows leaders. and there are still many other good organs left that could help a lot of people. If that was possible I would strongly concidder it. but till then I will do as much as I can as long as I can.

#19 Bethann

Bethann

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 297 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T 5/6 complete

Posted 16 February 2012 - 06:08 PM

That story brought tears to my eyes.

#20 Charlie-boi

Charlie-boi

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:41 PM

Its a tricky subject but for sure I would love to have an option to go in peace while using my good organs to help change several lives for the better. Give sight to a blind man, Breath to a wheezing girl, a strong heart to a parent so he/she can continue raising tomorrows leaders. and there are still many other good organs left that could help a lot of people. If that was possible I would strongly concidder it. but till then I will do as much as I can as long as I can.

the film ''7 pounds''

#21 Spinner

Spinner

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 939 posts
  • Country:Mid Western United States (But I'm a California Girl)
  • Spinal Injury Level:C-5 Complete/Wife
  • Injury Date:15-06-1990

Posted 20 February 2012 - 05:34 PM

I read her story and I agree with all who have said that there is no way to ever put yourself completely in somone else's shoes and she absolutely has the right to decide whether the life she was living was too much for her to cope with. I do wonder why we put these types of suicides in a different category from suicide when someone is not disabled. In my experience knowing people who took their own lives, the reasoning is typically the same; they can't stand the way their life is and no longer want to be a burden on those with whom they share their life.

I thank God every single day that my husband found a reason to go on even in his darkest days. Days that occurred long before I met him as he struggled to come to terms with his new life, new body and new reality. For those who may be inclined to think of themselves as a burden, all I have to say is this man is the best thing that has ever come into my life. Walking, rolling, working fingers or not, whatever, he is no more of a burden to me then breathing is a burden. It would break my heart if something I did or didn't do made him feel burdensome to the point of wanting to take his own life.

@AlaskaOne, I want to chime in and second IzziWhizzi! I have read this and your other posts and your misery is palpable. This is a great place though to see that living with SCI can be doable. My husband was a single father to three teenagers, went skydiving, went back to college, drove cross-country, drives, owns a home, manages every single penny that comes into our household and is an incredible step-father to my three school age children - all years after he broke his neck. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.
"The reality of man is his thought, not his material body." Abdu'l Baha

#22 Doug

Doug

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 437 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5

Posted 20 February 2012 - 05:37 PM

the film ''7 pounds''

yes the idea is .......but its not legal or possible in the US you can be a doner but have 0 say in who gets your parts. plus im not an able bodied person who just caused several deaths and only want to die just because I feel guilty 24/7 if she survived there would have been no movie.

but for the most part they should make it legal for thoes who want out to get help and save as many other people they can in the process. because those serious about it do it anyway legal or not so mind as well recycle the organs and make something positive out of the situation

#23 Niceparalegs

Niceparalegs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 120 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T11 incomp barely
  • Injury Date:22-12-2011

Posted 27 February 2012 - 08:39 PM

I personally believe that we can find purpose in providing friendship and hope for others; and that purpose can be just enough.
  • Asparagus925 likes this

#24 Niceparalegs

Niceparalegs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 120 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T11 incomp barely
  • Injury Date:22-12-2011

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:20 AM

I personally believe that we can find purpose in providing friendship and hope for others; and that purpose can be just enough.

#25 isobar

isobar

Advanced Member

• Closed Account
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,461 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:t12-l1/incomplete/

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:13 AM

Touching ....... they say what doesn't kill you makes you stronger , i guess that didn't apply to this woman's ordeal. May she rest in peace.
  • Spinner likes this
LITUT = "Life Is The Ultimate Teacher"

Spinal Cord Injury & Cauda Equina Syndrome Support

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries and cauda equina syndrome to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.