Welcome to the Apparelyzed Spinal Cord Injury and Cauda Equina Syndrome Support Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to Apparelyzed, an active and vibrant spinal cord injury and cauda equina syndrome support forum. Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of our spinal cord injury support community by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Talk to others in real time in the Chat Room
We look forward to welcoming you to our community and reading your contributions and questions.

Simon
Forum Administrator.

Photo
- - - - -

Suggestions For A New Manual Wheelchair

what kind should i get?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 ebeth

ebeth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 85 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T2 Complete

Posted 17 February 2012 - 12:02 AM

I am in need of a new manual wheelchair and I'm wondering what my options are. The ideal wheelchair would be lightweight and have a rigid frame. Insurance is covering the cost, so as long as the price isn't totally unreasonable, it's not an issue.

Right now I have a titanium RGK chair with Spinergy wheels. I'm looking for something similar, but not by RGK.

What do you suggest?

#2 LeviM

LeviM

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C7 - C8 inc/ Commited
  • Injury Date:20-01-2002

Posted 17 February 2012 - 12:25 AM

I'd suggest looking into Ti Lite's titanium chair.

I am on my second Ti Lite chair. My first Ti Lite was a titanium Ti Lite ZRA. The ZRA is super adjustable and light weight. Like most chairs it has many features and things that can be modified. The wheels have a button you push that frees them and underneat the seat is a bar to pull that lays the back down into the seat. My new manual is a non titanium Ti Lite.My girlfriend hates it because of it's weight difference to the titanium Ti lite.

I had a first generation Ti Lite ZRA.. The biggest problem with it was the breaks. They loosened up very easy and had to be maintained constantly. Ti Lite has started using a better break system now. I don't have the problem on my new Ti Lite. My old Ti Lite ZRA took a beating and kept on trucking.. It was an awesome chair which I have passed on to another member of this forum. I'm sure they will get a lot more miles out of it.

#3 EVO

EVO

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T12-L1

Posted 06 March 2012 - 03:27 PM

I am in need of a new manual wheelchair and I'm wondering what my options are. The ideal wheelchair would be lightweight and have a rigid frame. Insurance is covering the cost, so as long as the price isn't totally unreasonable, it's not an issue.

Right now I have a titanium RGK chair with Spinergy wheels. I'm looking for something similar, but not by RGK.

What do you suggest?

i recently got a carbon fibre chair,its very very light!!! i had it for 6 months now and its by far the best chair i have had..in the first week using it,i was getting out my car an went to lift the chair off the passenger seat,but being used to my old chair i just grabbed an lifted, but not being used to how light it is i nearly knocked myself out with it lol it is very light :-)

#4 ebeth

ebeth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 85 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 01:39 AM

What do you suggest?

i recently got a carbon fibre chair,its very very light!!! i had it for 6 months now and its by far the best chair i have had..in the first week using it,i was getting out my car an went to lift the chair off the passenger seat,but being used to my old chair i just grabbed an lifted, but not being used to how light it is i nearly knocked myself out with it lol it is very light :-)

What brand of chair did you get?

#5 happywheels 88

happywheels 88

• Members
  • Pip
  • 64 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T12 incomplete
  • Injury Date:22-07-2011

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:04 AM

Check out the top end range from invacare, I have a terminator titanium, (and although I'm convinced I was measured wrong and the chair is too big for me, going back to see therapist later this week) it is great, easy to push, nice and light and tracks straight as an arrow. They also have quite a few different models.

#6 Niceparalegs

Niceparalegs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 120 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T11 incomp barely
  • Injury Date:22-12-2011

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:12 AM

I looooove my "invacare top end crossfire t6" suuuper light and small and one tug folds it up after wheel removal!:)

#7 happywheels 88

happywheels 88

• Members
  • Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:29 AM

I take it yours fits properly niceparalegs? :)

#8 Trinity

Trinity

2nd in Command!

• Moderators
  • 5,041 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T8 complete

Posted 12 March 2012 - 06:18 PM

I've got a Top End titanium too and it's great, so lightweight :)

Memento Vivere
Memento Mori

#9 brockit79

brockit79

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,032 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:t10
  • Injury Date:27-07-2010

Posted 13 March 2012 - 07:49 AM

I have a TiLite ZRA2. I love my new chair, it has changed my life as I sit in a better position therefore am in less pain; which means that I am more mobile. It is light too.
Neek me chawa, wermo, mo killie ma klounkee!

#10 megatrig

megatrig

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 445 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5/6 sensory incomplete

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:05 AM

What do you suggest?

Just have to ask.

Why not RGK??
Life is just to short not to have fun!

#11 ebeth

ebeth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 85 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:08 AM

What do you suggest?

Just have to ask.

Why not RGK??

I like my RGK, but maybe I'm missing some nice feature that I can find in another chair. I like to keep my options open. Also, there aren't a lot of people in chairs around here that I can get advice from. I figured people at this site could give me some good advice from personal experience.

I'm going to check into the suggestions given.

Are there other chairs that I should consider?

#12 megatrig

megatrig

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 445 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5/6 sensory incomplete

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:12 AM

Ahhhh right.

Well after having a lot of chairs over the years I wouldn't get anything other than a RGK!!!!

Spec it to what you want and years of comfortable hassle free wheeling!!!
Life is just to short not to have fun!

#13 Speed

Speed

• Members
  • Pip
  • 72 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T4-T6
  • Injury Date:14-10-2006

Posted 15 March 2012 - 05:03 PM

I have a quicke q7 and while it is a whopping 14 lbs I am not impressed with the back rest on it. I put my clothes on while in the chair and so I lean up against the backrest with most of my weight to hold my butt up while I slip my pants on and becasue of this I have gone through 3 pairs of backrests in under a year. Other than that its a great chair and SUPER light
"Where There's a Will....There's a way!"

#14 Danimal_1985

Danimal_1985

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T4
  • Injury Date:27-04-2011

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:21 AM

I also have the quicky q7, the breakdown is super quick and easy. Adjustments are fairly quick for me to swap my light skinny tires for my offroad tires, I just have to adjust the brakes. I have been pretty hard on it and other than a few cosmetic scratches, it's fine. I highly recommend the natural fit hand rims, if you haven't tried them you're missing out!
"Even the helpless victim of a hopeless situation, facing a fate he cannot change, may rise above himself, may grow beyond himself, and by doing so may change himself. He may turn a personal tragedy into triumph."
~Viktor Frankl~

#15 ebeth

ebeth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 85 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 12:28 AM

I also have the quicky q7, the breakdown is super quick and easy. Adjustments are fairly quick for me to swap my light skinny tires for my offroad tires, I just have to adjust the brakes. I have been pretty hard on it and other than a few cosmetic scratches, it's fine. I highly recommend the natural fit hand rims, if you haven't tried them you're missing out!

Those natural fit handrims look interesting. Do they make the chair wider because of their size and shape?

#16 Danimal_1985

Danimal_1985

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T4
  • Injury Date:27-04-2011

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:28 PM

Those natural fit handrims look interesting. Do they make the chair wider because of their size and shape?

Maybe a half inch wider if that, but the pros definitely outweigh the cons. I had the traditional tubular hand rims on the loner chair while I was in rehab and my thumbs would actually slip between the hand rim and tire when I would push going up ramps or pop over curbs and damn near dislocate them. Plus the natural fits are easier to grab, my hands don't cramp from grabbing them. I won't be going back to regular hand rims ever.
"Even the helpless victim of a hopeless situation, facing a fate he cannot change, may rise above himself, may grow beyond himself, and by doing so may change himself. He may turn a personal tragedy into triumph."
~Viktor Frankl~

#17 Inkd760

Inkd760

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T7/8 incomplete
  • Injury Date:01-07-2011

Posted 23 March 2012 - 08:32 AM

Dont get a Coulors Razorblade, mine sucks and its my first chair!!
Get busy LIVING or get busy DYING.....

#18 ebeth

ebeth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 85 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 01:09 AM

What don't you like about it?

#19 Inkd760

Inkd760

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 03:12 AM

The casters have these caps on them that u can take off to access the nuts to replace them the caps have these metal tabs that keep breaking off and the pieces get stuck making the casters get stuck. I've only had the chair for eight months and it's always drifting to the left I have to constantly fight it. Just my experiences and opinion on my chair.

#20 ebeth

ebeth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 85 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:41 PM

The casters have these caps on them that u can take off to access the nuts to replace them the caps have these metal tabs that keep breaking off and the pieces get stuck making the casters get stuck. I've only had the chair for eight months and it's always drifting to the left I have to constantly fight it. Just my experiences and opinion on my chair.

Thanks for the info. I'll stay away from that brand.

#21 Inkd760

Inkd760

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 01:00 AM

Just my experience with the chair, it seems to happen for no reason.

#22 HowiRolldotcom

HowiRolldotcom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T8-T11
  • Injury Date:26-01-1999

Posted 25 March 2012 - 02:10 AM

I use a Tilite TR, and don't think I'll ever change. An ultralight rigid wheelchair is essential if you're going to be in it all day. Also, when available get titanium options, as they are slightly lighter (ie: titanium handrails). Aside from the wheelchair you end up choosing, even more important is getting the measurements perfect. You can have the most amazing wheelchair on the market, but it doesn't mean anything if the person measuring you is clueless. Choose carefully.
Read my story at www.HowiRoll.com
Twitter: HowiRolldotcom

#23 rollingtrouble

rollingtrouble

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 604 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:c5,6.7 incomplete
  • Injury Date:25-08-2003

Posted 25 March 2012 - 03:10 AM

I have a TiLite off road chair, its the one in my avatar, I can jump off flights of stairs in a single bound when I get drunk. I am however waiting on another wheel, I bent the rim and broke three spokes on a wild night of drunken bliss ( all covered by warranty I might add ) :)
Holy crip I'm a crapple!!!

#24 jsaneford

jsaneford

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T-6 Complete
  • Injury Date:30-05-2010

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:52 AM

Currently using a Quickie Q7 with an "Active Back" back rest. Made a Big difference from the webbing back I had on my first chair. Also using the Sineregy Spox wheels. Chair is super light and breaks down very easily. Love this chair, but would really like to try a Ti frame (Ti isn't covered by my insurance).
- Jason

#25 ONeill

ONeill

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5 /incomplete
  • Injury Date:18-01-2004

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:28 AM

I also have a Razorblade and I dont like it at all!! It doesnt really fit me right and it is hard to keep in a straight line I fight it more than anything. Looking into getting a TI Lite ZR or TR. Anyone have any thoughts/input on that?

#26 Inkd760

Inkd760

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:09 PM

I also have a Razorblade and I dont like it at all!! It doesnt really fit me right and it is hard to keep in a straight line I fight it more than anything. Looking into getting a TI Lite ZR or TR. Anyone have any thoughts/input on that?

I have that same problem my chair is always going to the left, I hate it I've checked it out and cant seem to fix the problem.

#27 happywheels 88

happywheels 88

• Members
  • Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 12:44 PM

Just recently got a new Top end crossfire titanium and it is truly magnificent!!!!

#28 Johnny J

Johnny J

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T-10 Incomplete
  • Injury Date:19-01-2008

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:31 AM

I use a Tilite TR, and don't think I'll ever change. An ultralight rigid wheelchair is essential if you're going to be in it all day. Also, when available get titanium options, as they are slightly lighter (ie: titanium handrails). Aside from the wheelchair you end up choosing, even more important is getting the measurements perfect. You can have the most amazing wheelchair on the market, but it doesn't mean anything if the person measuring you is clueless. Choose carefully.

Trying to decide between the TR and ZRA. Any suggestions. Thanks.

Spinal Cord Injury & Cauda Equina Syndrome Support

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries and cauda equina syndrome to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.